Curtis Scott police assault charges dropped after court rules arrest 'unlawful'

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Re: Curtis Scott police assault charges dropped after court rules arrest 'unlawful'

Post by The Nickman »

gergreg wrote:Cat....

Curtis Scott.... I think we should wait until the evidence is reviewed and the court case runs it's course.

CHN/Okunbor... they should never play NRL ever again (before any facts are known)

CHN signs with Raiders.... he deserves another chance.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk
And let’s not forget that Blake Ferguson going AWOL is probably just the media making crap up. I’m sure there’s nothing in it, let’s just wait to hear from Blake before we jump to any conclusions
Love4Noa
Brett Mullins

Re: Curtis Scott police assault charges dropped after court rules arrest 'unlawful'

Post by Love4Noa »

BadnMean wrote: September 18, 2020, 11:07 am
Raiders_Pat wrote: September 18, 2020, 8:46 am I said this way back in Jan/Feb when this was all going down but some people have way too much blind faith in police. Yes, some cops are good people... but this is typical behaviour from NSW police when they think nobody is watching. I've seen some absolutely horrific arrests in Sydney on people who were in no way a threat as they were too drunk or high to stand or even open their eyes. As a contrast, police in the ACT from my experience are generally less prone to crossing the legal line in the way NSW police do... there are some pricks but they definitely don't carry on like thugs in the same way. It's a culture thing, for sure.

@bonehead - if your copper mates who are shocked and angered by their peers' actions are based in Sydney... then they're surely having a laugh because they would know damn well how some of their peers like to carry on.
AFP usually have a higher standard of qualification than NSW police.

One of my best mates is an AFP detective (we went to the GF together last season actually, massive Raiders fan) and he said he would have been utterly ashamed to be associated with what went on at that arrest, utterly ashamed.

He also commented it is VERY hard to get police sanctioned or held accountable for poor behaviour on the job also though- whether you are Joe Public or Joe Copper.
That's nice of your cop mate. I have cop friends who still think Curtis is at fault and see no issue with what was done.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders centre Curtis Scott set to sue police for over $100,000 after ‘traumatic’ arrest

Curtis Scott is set to seek compensation after being wrongfully arrested, Tasered and pepper sprayed by police after boozy Australia Day celebrations. Scott is expected to sue the NSW police for over $100,000 in damages.

Scott’s lawyer Sam Macedone indicated over a week ago that he would be seeking that amount for his client but that it was up to the Raiders centre to make a decision.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... e926d359ee
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Commissioner Mick Fuller defends NSW Police officers who tasered Canberra Raiders centre Curtis Scott

NSW Police Commissioner Mick Fuller has defended the officers who arrested NRL star Curtis Scott despite it being deemed “unlawful” before the case was embarrassingly dismissed.

“I watched the entirety of the event and I think sometimes you need to watch the entirety of the event to get it in context,’’ Fuller told 2GB. “Often in these situations, it does escalate — there’s nothing we can do about that, if the individual is not going to comply with a reasonable direction.”

Read more: https://7news.com.au/sport/rugby-league ... -c-1334297

NRL player to sue police for huge figure after 'unlawful' arrest: https://7news.com.au/sport/rugby-league ... -c-1330648
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I jokingly said a week ago that if they want to x-ray the leg they should just remove the plate.

Next patient please.

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

More like Mark Fuller-s**t, M I RITE?!

Nailed it.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Botman wrote:More like Mark Fuller-s**t, M I RITE?!

Nailed it.

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

greeneyed wrote: September 22, 2020, 3:01 pm Commissioner Mick Fuller defends NSW Police officers who tasered Canberra Raiders centre Curtis Scott

NSW Police Commissioner Mick Fuller has defended the officers who arrested NRL star Curtis Scott despite it being deemed “unlawful” before the case was embarrassingly dismissed.

“I watched the entirety of the event and I think sometimes you need to watch the entirety of the event to get it in context,’’ Fuller told 2GB. “Often in these situations, it does escalate — there’s nothing we can do about that, if the individual is not going to comply with a reasonable direction.”

Read more: https://7news.com.au/sport/rugby-league ... -c-1334297

NRL player to sue police for huge figure after 'unlawful' arrest: https://7news.com.au/sport/rugby-league ... -c-1330648
The Graham Annesley of the NSW police force.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Pity the NSW police commissioner was too busy speaking on 2gb radio to Instead provide his damning evidence at the actual trial in front of the magistrate.

Can’t he see that his radio interview gives more credence to those who claim that inappropriate policing procedures comes from the top.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

He has to be kidding, right? The whole country's seen the video now. It's patently obvious that NSW Police escalated and kept escalating.

But then this is also the guy who thinks sexually assaulting minors at music festivals is acceptable and wants the public to "fear" NSW Police, so...
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

raiderskater wrote: September 22, 2020, 7:32 pm He has to be kidding, right? The whole country's seen the video now. It's patently obvious that NSW Police escalated and kept escalating.

But then this is also the guy who thinks sexually assaulting minors at music festivals is acceptable and wants the public to "fear" NSW Police, so...
Yes, because cops are literally raping children at music festivals... please
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Finchy wrote:
raiderskater wrote: September 22, 2020, 7:32 pm He has to be kidding, right? The whole country's seen the video now. It's patently obvious that NSW Police escalated and kept escalating.

the kids who hide condoms full of pingas where they can't be searched?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Finchy
Jason Croker

Post by Finchy »

bonehead wrote: September 22, 2020, 8:40 pm
Finchy wrote:

Then it ain't coming out until nature comes calling. Cops can't do cavity searches, and can't touch them during strip searches (which are done by cops of the same gender). EDIT to retrieve it, then yes, rape. And jail time.
Smurfette
Brett Mullins

Post by Smurfette »

Finchy wrote: September 22, 2020, 9:03 pm
Finchy wrote:

Then it ain't coming out until nature comes calling. Cops can't do cavity searches, and can't touch them during strip searches (which are done by cops of the same gender). EDIT to retrieve it, then yes, rape. And jail time.
Can’t, but sometimes do.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-05-08/ ... l/12229188

I would’ve thought the Scott incident shows well enough the risk of dismissing concerns about police conduct because “there are rules against that”.
Finchy
Jason Croker

Post by Finchy »

Smurfette wrote: September 22, 2020, 10:17 pm
Finchy wrote: September 22, 2020, 9:03 pm
Finchy wrote:

Can’t, but sometimes do.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-05-08/ ... l/12229188

I would’ve thought the Scott incident shows well enough the risk of dismissing concerns about police conduct because “there are rules against that”.
Strip searches (legal or otherwise) is not rape. Telling some to lift up their **** or squat is not the same as rape.

Clearly the Curtis Scott incident shows that procedures aren't always followed by police (look out 100K payout!), but I think it's a bit of a stretch to say that the Commissioner of Police thinks raping children is acceptable. That's what I have issue with.

If people hate cops and think kids should be allowed to take drugs at festivals, so be it. Go vote for the Greens. But not agreeing with police having the power to strip search someone doesn't mean cops are literally raping children. And if some are, lock em up and castrate them
Smurfette
Brett Mullins

Post by Smurfette »

The only person who has mentioned rape is you. raiderskater said sexual assault. I know you know they’re not the same thing.
Finchy
Jason Croker

Post by Finchy »

Smurfette wrote: September 22, 2020, 10:37 pm The only person who has mentioned rape is you. raiderskater said sexual assault. I know you know they’re not the same thing.
Um, actually they totally are the same thing.

Sexual assault is the legal term for rape. Rape is the colloquial term. You rape someone, you get charged with sexual assault.
Smurfette
Brett Mullins

Post by Smurfette »

Finchy wrote: September 22, 2020, 10:38 pm
Smurfette wrote: September 22, 2020, 10:37 pm The only person who has mentioned rape is you. raiderskater said sexual assault. I know you know they’re not the same thing.
I even tried to give you an out. Rape is a kind of sexual assault. But there are many other types of sexual assault that are not rape.
Smurfette
Brett Mullins

Post by Smurfette »

Sexual assault is the legal term for rape. Rape is the colloquial term. You rape someone, you get charged with sexual assault.
Sexual assault is not the offence name everywhere in Australia. I’m quite sure raiderskater meant sexual assault in the broader sense.
Finchy
Jason Croker

Post by Finchy »

Smurfette wrote: September 22, 2020, 10:41 pm
I even tried to give you an out. Rape is a kind of sexual assault. But there are many other types of sexual assault that are not rape.
I don't see strip search in the definition. S.61I and S.61HA of the Crimes Act give some pretty graphic definitions of what constitutes sexual assault though. And all look pretty "rapey" to me.
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

Finchy wrote: September 22, 2020, 10:47 pm
I don't see strip search in the definition. S.61I and S.61HA of the Crimes Act give some pretty graphic definitions of what constitutes sexual assault though. And all look pretty "rapey" to me.
https://www.wlsnsw.org.au/resources/sex ... l-assault/

note the reference to "abuse of power".

And having heard the disgusting remarks of the fluoro clowns on duty outside Bruce Stadium when bomb-testing my daughter - just shut up.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Yeah, look, I’d sit down right now if I were you, Finchy
Finchy
Jason Croker

Post by Finchy »

Lui_Bon wrote: September 22, 2020, 11:49 pm
Finchy wrote: September 22, 2020, 10:47 pm
https://www.wlsnsw.org.au/resources/sex ... l-assault/

note the reference to "abuse of power".

And having heard the disgusting remarks of the fluoro clowns on duty outside Bruce Stadium when bomb-testing my daughter - just shut up.
What garbage. That's isn't the Crime Act, it's womens legal advice. Which is contradictory and wrong mind you. It starts by telling us that sexual assault basically means anything you want it to mean.

"Showing indecent images to another person" or "doing something sexual that makes you feel uncomfortable" is not sexual assault. Otherwise Mitchell Pearce "sexually assaulted" me because it made me uncomfortable watching him dry hump a dog on camera. That's site's definition is ridiculously broad, and not inline with what legislation actually says, or what people are actually charged with. Show me case law where someone has been charged with sexual assault for showing someone an indecent image.

Indecent assault, sexual touching, sexual act, etc, are separate offences, and are not a "type of sexual assault". If they were, they'd all be listed under S,61I of the Crime Act. They aren't. They're listed separately under their own sections, under Division 10 - sexual offences against adults and children. Sexual offences, not sexual assaults. Sexual assault is a type of sexual offence. Yet that site seems to claim all sexual offences are sexual assaults. They aren't.

The definition of rape is sexual intercourse without consent.
The definition of sexual assault is sexual intercourse without consent.
Indecent assault, sexual touching, sexual act, do not meet the definition of sexual assault, as there is no penetration (oral or otherwise), therefore no intercourse.

I'm not sure what cops saying offensive things to your daughter has to do with whether they rape children or not, but I'm not arguing "all cops are perfect", I'm disputing the assertion that they rape children at music festivals. So I won't "shut up".
Finchy
Jason Croker

Post by Finchy »

The Nickman wrote: September 23, 2020, 7:08 am Yeah, look, I’d sit down right now if I were you, Finchy
Yeah, nah. Just letting people claim cops are raping children at music festivals doesn't sit right with me for a number of reasons. Question the legality of searching them all you want, but leave out the ridiculous exaggerations. An example of a female cop telling a female teen to squat when being searched is not sexual assault.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Sexual assault can go well beyond just rape, Finchy. If you don't understand that then you don't understand sexual assault, the conversation at hand, and you should indeed sit down.
Finchy
Jason Croker

Post by Finchy »

The Nickman wrote: September 23, 2020, 10:02 am Sexual assault can go well beyond just rape, Finchy. If you don't understand that then you don't understand sexual assault, the conversation at hand, and you should indeed sit down.
The actual law, and what people are actually charged with, says otherwise Nickman.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Finchy wrote: September 23, 2020, 10:08 am
The Nickman wrote: September 23, 2020, 10:02 am Sexual assault can go well beyond just rape, Finchy. If you don't understand that then you don't understand sexual assault, the conversation at hand, and you should indeed sit down.
The actual law, and what people are actually charged with, says otherwise Nickman.
If you can't understand that people AREN'T saying that cops are raping children at music festivals then you're being deliberately obtuse
Finchy
Jason Croker

Post by Finchy »

The Nickman wrote: September 23, 2020, 10:18 am
Finchy wrote: September 23, 2020, 10:08 am
If you can't understand that people AREN'T saying that cops are raping children at music festivals then you're being deliberately obtuse
They may not mean that, but technically and legally speaking that’s exactly what they’re saying. That’s my issue. Strip searches (whether you agree with them or not) are not sexual assaults by definition. If people think they are, the law says otherwise.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

So then, Finchy, if a guy grabs at my boob when I haven't told him he can, what is it then, if not sexual assault? Because I'm pretty sure in most jurisdictions it would be classed as a sexual assault.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Finchy
Jason Croker

Post by Finchy »

raiderskater wrote: September 23, 2020, 5:45 pm So then, Finchy, if a guy grabs at my boob when I haven't told him he can, what is it then, if not sexual assault? Because I'm pretty sure in most jurisdictions it would be classed as a sexual assault.
You'd be wrong. It's sexual touching (previously known as indecent assault), different offence. S.61KC of the Crimes Act 1900, and further defined under S.61HB. Think Fergo post-origin.

Still horrible and criminal behaviour obviously, but not sexual assault, legally speaking.

Despite some saying sexual assault is basically anything that makes you feel uncomfortable or showing photos, I can guarantee the offender would not (and could not) be charged with sexual assault. Which is why Fergo wasn't charged with sexual assault, it was indecent assault (no intercourse).
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Well, this thread certainly took a left hand turn! Talk about information overload. :lol:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The Canberra Times reporting that the magistrate in Curtis Scott's case will determine if the police prosecutors will have to pay the $100,000 legal costs of the defendant. Also Sam Macedone saying Scott has yet to decide whether to pursue legal action against the police: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
benda
Brett Mullins

Post by benda »

I hope this things ends quickly and Curtis can do his thing on the field.
Id love to see him at his best. He has a lot of potential.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

‘Would’ve been safer if he was hit by a car’: Curtis Scott in tears as judge awards $100,000, blasts police

A magistrate has slammed the NSW Police’s handling of Canberra Raiders centre Curtis Scott’s arrest. Mr Scott was on Friday awarded more than $100,000 in legal costs.

“I genuinely think Mr Scott might have been safer if he wandered onto the roadway and been hit by a car,” Ms Giles said. “He would have at least still been free to his hands, been upright and conscious and would have got an ambulance much quicker than he did with these police.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... fe2ed18ff1

Judge blasts police and awards NRL gun Curtis Scott huge payout: https://7news.com.au/news/crime/nrl-sta ... -c-1342646

NSW court awards Canberra Raiders' Curtis Scott $100k in legal costs: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14260