7%
Sharks 13+
7%

Total votes: 15

Old School Green
Dean Lance

Re: 2020 Rd 20 V Sharks: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by Old School Green »

radicalraider wrote: September 22, 2020, 5:37 pm Surprised Soliola isn't Captain..
He'll only play limited minutes I imagine. No point really.
87, 89, 90, 91, 94, 19
I was there. Go the Milk !!
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

IBG wrote: September 22, 2020, 4:52 pm
Timbo wrote: September 22, 2020, 4:39 pm If this group of no names drops their bundle vs the Sharks, then the Tiges somehow beat Parra, this will have been a truly horrible decision.
Nope.

Everyone is saying we will be better off being 4th because we will get a guaranteed 2nd game.

RUBBISH!

We will be better off coming 5th.

We will win Vs Sharks round 1 and if we don't then we don't deserve to be there.

We will then play the lowest ranked loser which will be Parra (against Panthers). If we come 4th we would have played Penrith round 1 and likely gotten beat.

I would much rather a slow build with a win over the Sharks and confident we could beat the Eels at Bankwest.

Then we get into a prelim and it's anyone's game.

5th is good.
You are an absolute buffoon if you think having a week one elimination match is a better option than having a guaranteed either week 2 or preliminary home final.

On what planet is having to win away twice in weeks two and three better than having a shot at a prelim at Bruce?

Have you all forgotten last years finals already?
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
Walter
David Grant
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Walter »

Old School Green wrote:
radicalraider wrote: September 22, 2020, 5:37 pm Surprised Soliola isn't Captain..
He'll only play limited minutes I imagine. No point really.
Farewell game for Sam crossed my mind??

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

Old School Green wrote: September 22, 2020, 5:39 pm
GreenMachine wrote: September 22, 2020, 5:35 pm
Hazza wrote: September 22, 2020, 5:08 pm
GreenMachine wrote: September 22, 2020, 5:06 pm 1. 5th is no way better than 4th.
2. Parra won't lose so it's irrelevant.
3. Were not beating the sharks this week, however it's irrelevant.
Interesting you can confidently say a team that lost 38-0 to Souths (who have been poor since) definitely won't lose. You have more faith in them then me.
I think it says more about the lack of confidence I have with the Tigers.
It's all irrelevant as Ricky has shown his hand with the team selection and I don't mind it.
At the end of the day all roads lead to having to beat the Roosters and the Storm....whether it's in a GF qualifier or GF, we'll have to do both. When you boil it all down, that's what it comes to.
Both of which we have done this year away from home
Yes I agree...and I think Ricky see's this too....hence the team selection this week.
Hazza
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Adam Clydesdale

Post by Hazza »

GreenMachine wrote: September 22, 2020, 5:35 pm
Hazza wrote: September 22, 2020, 5:08 pm
GreenMachine wrote: September 22, 2020, 5:06 pm 1. 5th is no way better than 4th.
2. Parra won't lose so it's irrelevant.
3. Were not beating the sharks this week, however it's irrelevant.
Interesting you can confidently say a team that lost 38-0 to Souths (who have been poor since) definitely won't lose. You have more faith in them then me.
I think it says more about the lack of confidence I have with the Tigers.
It's all irrelevant as Ricky has shown his hand with the team selection and I don't mind it.
At the end of the day all roads lead to having to beat the Roosters and the Storm....whether it's in a GF qualifier or GF, we'll have to do both. When you boil it all down, that's what it comes to.
Yeah. You're probably right. He's certainly putting his eggs in 1 basket though. Will look like a genius of it comes off.
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Post by Cranky Old Man »

In what was shapingup as a boring non event where the injury toll was the only post game talking point we now have a real game for the purists (me).
This is a fantastic fixture coming up and I really can't wait.
I don't know Damien Cook, and I'm sorry that Rick couldn't fit in the big prop and Subloo but what a great reward to all the diligent trainers who have been robbed of playing time due to Covid.
Belcher#1
Gary Coyne

Post by Belcher#1 »

RedRaider wrote: September 22, 2020, 5:26 pm Don't Sportsbet provide tens of millions of dollars to the NRL for something called 'wagering and sponsorship'. V'landys will not like like this and I reckon he will see it as a stunt. The Panthers are guaranteed first place and they have not gone down this track, naming their star 6, 7 and 9. Storm have rested Cameron Smith and a number from their backline but nothing like the Raiders. To be honest, I'm disappointed the Raiders have done this. Sticky has built a 'tough but fair' culture here and I don't see this as part of that. I wonder how many beers it took for this to seem like a good idea.
why would sportsbet be upset with the team Canberra name? They just take the market of their books, have their traders calculate the new odds and line then put the market back up. Happens all the time
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Cranky Old Man wrote: September 22, 2020, 5:43 pm In what was shapingup as a boring non event where the injury toll was the only post game talking point we now have a real game for the purists (me).
I don't know Damien Cook, and I'm sorry that Rick couldn't fit in the big prop and Subloo but what a great reward to all the diligent trainers who have been robbed of playing time due to Covid.
Unfortunately this will be the first match I miss this season and I'm spewing.
I like yourself love seeing the young talent debut and enjoy the purity of this match up...
I'll read with interest the updates - particularly around our young outside backs.
Ultima
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Ultima »

The season is a marathon not a sprint. We have some players running on empty with minor injuries. A week off see them have time to put into recovery instead.

I put the chances of the Tigers beating the Eels, and THEN us beating Penrith at close to 500:1. Even if we pulled that off, we couldn't plan for in advance for that being a sure thing.

While personally I haven't done professional level sports medicine, I can assume that as soon as the game was over they had this plan in hand and put our players on a rehab routine not their usual pre-game stuff. We couldn't have that plan in hand even if we did beat Penrith in week one so we wouldn't have other players ready to go, other knowing they will get a rest, etc.

Finally - The extra experience and match fitness we will give to some of our backup players should we need them is awesome.

I really see way more upside to this plan than gambling it all on a long shot.
Ultima
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Ultima »

Timbo wrote: September 22, 2020, 5:41 pm
Timbo wrote: September 22, 2020, 4:39 pm If this group of no names drops their bundle vs the Sharks, then the Tiges somehow beat Parra, this will have been a truly horrible decision.
Nope.

Everyone is saying we will be better off being 4th because we will get a guaranteed 2nd game.

RUBBISH!

We will win Vs Sharks round 1 and if we don't then we don't deserve to be there.

We will then play the lowest ranked loser which will be Parra (against Panthers). If we come 4th we would have played Penrith round 1 and likely gotten beat.

I would much rather a slow build with a win over the Sharks and confident we could beat the Eels at Bankwest.

5th is good.
You are an absolute buffoon if you think having a week one elimination match is a better option than having a guaranteed either week 2 or preliminary home final.

On what planet is having to win away twice in weeks two and three better than having a shot at a prelim at Bruce?

Our home record - 6 - 4
Our away record - 7 - 2

Pretty sure playing away isn't going to hurt us.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Timbo wrote: September 22, 2020, 5:41 pm
Nope.

RUBBISH!

5th is good.

Yes but those options you're talking about don't happen in a vacuum.

The absolute worst case scenario for this week's game is an injury/suspension to a big name player or 2 and still finishing 5th, and not getting a week off.
The absolute best case would rely on a team not in the 8 beating a team that wants to win to ensure a top 4 spot.

The choice we've ended up on is looking at the most likely outcome and having our guys fresh for week 1 of the finals.
Personally I would have been resting guys in previous weeks but that's not how it's ended up.
Last edited by zim on September 22, 2020, 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

GreenMachine wrote: September 22, 2020, 5:46 pm
Cranky Old Man wrote: September 22, 2020, 5:43 pm In what was shapingup as a boring non event where the injury toll was the only post game talking point we now have a real game for the purists (me).
Unfortunately this will be the first match I miss this season and I'm spewing.
I like yourself love seeing the young talent debut and enjoy the purity of this match up...
I'll read with interest the updates - particularly around our young outside backs.
Pending what they were holding currently, they might be over joyed

I can’t imagine much money was flowing for Cronulla, I’ll bet most of the money they’ve got is on the raiders straight up or covering the spread
In which case they’d be **** pumped about this, all those bets are now likely losers and they won’t be refunding them
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

I still think we'll win.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

How sweet would it be.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Azza wrote: September 22, 2020, 5:58 pm I still think we'll win.
I think we’ll give it a red hot go!
radicalraider
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by radicalraider »

4th or 5th doesn't really matter with our team.. It all depends on whether Papalii can carry us to a gf again..
Hazza
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Adam Clydesdale

Post by Hazza »

Azza wrote: September 22, 2020, 5:58 pm I still think we'll win.
Saw an article the other day with the headline "Are the sharks the worst top 8 team ever". Well if they lose to us with that backline they'll answer that question won't they.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

zim wrote: September 22, 2020, 5:58 pm How sweet would it be.
Even sweeter if Parra lose.

Maybe Ricky is playing mind games as well - lull Parra into a false sense of security this week in their prep. Mind games with Cronulla who think it is an easy win
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Some posts above regarding our selections affecting the integrity of the competition.

C'mon - it's not an even comp when not all teams play each other twice, we had to play Roosters plus Melbourne twice. And the travel. Look at the easy games dished out to our Sydney friends Parra and Penrith. The point about salary cap and third party deals are also valid. NRL changes the rules to suit some teams, we need to fly our guys over in cattle class etc. Still no update on Broncos' third party deal or has that mysteriously gone away now that they are not sacking TPJ?
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

The Nickman wrote: SAMMY WILLIAMS IS CAPTAIN! We've done it, old friend... after all these years!!
But we’re no chance of winning unless we get a co-captain stat! I nominate this Adam Cook fellow.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: September 22, 2020, 6:03 pm
zim wrote: September 22, 2020, 5:58 pm How sweet would it be.
Even sweeter if Parra lose.

Maybe Ricky is playing mind games as well - lull Parra into a false sense of security this week in their prep. Mind games with Cronulla who think it is an easy win
I wonder if we see some early interchanges from Parra if we lose. The timing means they'll have to finalize a proper side.... and momentum would be pretty important for them going into a Penrith showdown. BA does like to talk about momentum.
radicalraider
John Ferguson

Post by radicalraider »

Can we start with these centres next week too..
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

I am on board with this idea 100%. Agree with everyone who have said that you take the guaranteed rest and no injuries over a bee’s dick chance at 4th.

Look at the results this year, there have been very few upsets. Parra are highly unlikely to lose to Tigers, that’s mainly wishful thinking.

Looking forward to watching all the young kids have a go.
Crusader
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Crusader »

WOW, we shouldnt win based on that lineup but imagine we do, very happy for the new faces to get some game time
Colk
Dean Lance

Post by Colk »

I don’t think we will win now but I’m interested to see how some of the young players go; particularly Timoko and HSS.

I think we may have rested a bit too many players and I have question marks over Subloo (don’t remember him from Flegg last year), Medlyn (who was quite good in Flegg last year but also quite small) and Adam Cook at fullback which is an important position. Maybe some others can give some thoughts/info/opinions on Subloo and Cook.

Conversely, if one or more of these kids have a great game then they might give themselves a greater opportunity next year
radicalraider
John Ferguson

Post by radicalraider »

Cotric still not in the centres..
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

radicalraider wrote: September 22, 2020, 6:15 pm Cotric still not in the centres..
At this point there is zero point in playing him there
He’s a winger for us and wasting a game like this developing his game at centre for the dogs over using it to give our guys development time would be ridiculous
radicalraider
John Ferguson

Post by radicalraider »

Should of rested young too.. He's just as valuable to the rest..
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

It was a tough knock against the Warriors

I like it

Well done to the lads getting their debuts and extended game times like Timoko and HSS

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Last edited by Makaveli on September 22, 2020, 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Firstly, I'm really looking forward to this game. Watching the young blokes have a crack will be fun.

Secondly I totally understand why Stuart has done it. Let's say we were a 75% chance of beating the Sharks full strength and the Tigers were only a 40% chance of beating the Eels. That's a 30% chance of both results going our way.

Instead, Stuart has gone for the 100% chance of resting our key players for a week. At worst we should be playing the Sharks at home in week 1 of the finals with half the squad coming back after resting some niggles. That's an OK result.

Still, it's a gamble with the top 4 spot still potentially up for grabs. If the Eels win, and they really should, this will have been a good move by us.
Last edited by Seiffert82 on September 22, 2020, 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Post by Raider47 »

How good is this. :lol:

Hoping for the best, expecting a travesty.

If we win, it'll be a master stroke. If both ourselves and Parra lose, there'll be some angry Canberrans lol.

I think Tigers are dross though. So this is Parra's to bottle.
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Current South Sydney and NSW Origin hooker.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Horace Dove-Edwin
Dean Lance
Favourite Player: Chicka Ferguson

Post by Horace Dove-Edwin »

Really looking forward to this.
Keen to see Timoko in space.
Harley as well.

Love Sammy in at halfback.
Don't know much about Cook.

It'd be awesome if we jag a win.
In saying that the Sharks don't look strong at all.

Well played Ricky.
Prepare for a tough run.
Finish 4th then it's a bonus.
Our blokes need a breather before a final push.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Really looking forward to this game as well. Don't know much about some of the players. I think our forward pack can hold their own against Cronulla.

Maybe Cronulla may not come as hard at us - they are in a no win situation in a meaningless game for them. So don't mind the strategy by Ricky at all. He rested players last year against the Warriors before playing Melbourne and it held us in good stead.

This team reminds me of the early 90s before State of Origin when we used to supply 8-9 players to NSW and Qld, with our back up team / reserves filling in. I recall a game we played Penrith in 1991 with essentially a reserve grade team and still beat them https://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/seas ... mmary.html
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Colk wrote: September 22, 2020, 6:12 pm I don’t think we will win now but I’m interested to see how some of the young players go; particularly Timoko and HSS.

I think we may have rested a bit too many players and I have question marks over Subloo (don’t remember him from Flegg last year), Medlyn (who was quite good in Flegg last year but also quite small) and Adam Cook at fullback which is an important position. Maybe some others can give some thoughts/info/opinions on Subloo and Cook.

Conversely, if one or more of these kids have a great game then they might give themselves a greater opportunity next year
Incredibly, the first time we will see Adam Cook play in a green jersey will be in first grade. He’s still eligible for Jersey Flegg.

This is his Townsville Blackhawks profile:

Position Hooker
Date of birth July 7, 2001
Born and raised Townsville
Height 179cm
Weight 85kg
Occupation Student
Junior Club Burdekin
Biggest Career Achievement 2019 QLD Emerging Origin Squad, 2018 QLD Schoolboys, NQ Cowboys Development Player

Subloo was very good last year at five eighth, has good size about him. Officially 185cms and 90kgs.