Full strength forward pack

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Re: Full strength forward pack

Post by simo »

Who the hell is under appreciating tarps and his out of this world footwork into the line?????
Dont delete this GE
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

simo wrote: September 21, 2020, 3:01 pm Who the hell is under appreciating tarps and his out of this world footwork into the line?????
People, apparently.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

simo wrote: September 21, 2020, 3:01 pm Who the hell is under appreciating tarps and his out of this world footwork into the line?????
Nickman
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

afgtnk wrote: September 21, 2020, 3:04 pm
Nickman
Well, he's got me.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Botman wrote: September 21, 2020, 2:08 pm
Seiffert82 wrote: September 21, 2020, 12:48 pm I suspect nobody will agree, but if you want to be fair dinkum about this discussion you have to ask if CHN or Young should be ahead of John Bateman in our starting forward pack.
The answer is no, JB is one of the best players in world and one of few players capable of creating points.
Consider it asked and answered.
Yeah, last year he was. I expected that to be the response, without any real substance supporting it. Bonus points for editing my post to remove the reasons for my opinion. Care to share what he has produced of note since he returned from injury?

Unfortunately at the moment he really isn't close to being one of the best players in the world. I hope he turns it around sooner rather than later, given he only has a few games left with us.
Last edited by Seiffert82 on September 21, 2020, 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

afgtnk wrote: September 21, 2020, 2:10 pm Yeah drop John Bateman. That'll give us a better chance in big games.

**** me
Quality contribution. Insightful as usual.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Seiffert82 wrote: September 21, 2020, 3:08 pm
afgtnk wrote: September 21, 2020, 2:10 pm Yeah drop John Bateman. That'll give us a better chance in big games.

**** me
I can assure you it's more than the post deserved. It shouldn't need any insight for even the most simple of fans.

His class is permanent, any form is temporary. In the big matches when the pressure is ratcheted up and you need that something extra, the added dimension, it's players like Bateman who are one of a handful capable of making that step up and meeting the challenge by going to the next level.

He gets picked every single time.
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

This is all just trolling yeah?
Dont delete this GE
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

afgtnk wrote: September 21, 2020, 3:14 pm
Seiffert82 wrote: September 21, 2020, 3:08 pm

**** me
I can assure you it's more than the post deserved. It shouldn't need any insight for even the most simple of fans.

His class is permanent, any form is temporary. In the big matches when the pressure is ratcheted up and you need that something extra, the added dimension, it's players like Bateman who are one of a handful capable of making that step up and meeting the challenge by going to the next level.

He gets picked every single time.
Well, you hope you're right. At the moment our attack on that side of the field flat out sucks when he's out there. You reckon CNK is a problem with the ball... Bateman is offering us nothing.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

I love Bateman and I would never drop him, but Jordy Raps literally never gets the ball at centre. Cotric wouldn't have even needed to wash his jersey!
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

simo wrote: September 21, 2020, 3:16 pm This is all just trolling yeah?
Yeah, sorry forgot you can't possibly question someone's form.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

The Nickman wrote: September 21, 2020, 3:21 pm I love Bateman and I would never drop him, but Jordy Raps literally never gets the ball at centre. Cotric wouldn't have even needed to wash his jersey!
Glad it's not only me that sees it. Curtis Scott hardly sees the ball either, except for taking hitups.

It's like it's impossible to question the performance of certain players at times.

Bateman is one of our biggest weapons out there, absolutely no question about it. Unfortunately he's also in very ordinary form and hasn't been close to one of our best.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Seiffert82 wrote: September 21, 2020, 3:24 pm
The Nickman wrote: September 21, 2020, 3:21 pm I love Bateman and I would never drop him, but Jordy Raps literally never gets the ball at centre. Cotric wouldn't have even needed to wash his jersey!
Glad it's not only me that sees it. Curtis Scott hardly sees the ball either, except for taking hitups.

It's like it's impossible to question the performance of certain players at times.

Bateman is one of our biggest weapons out there, absolutely no question about it. Unfortunately he's also in very ordinary form and hasn't been close to one of our best.
Again, like Lui, there's intangibles that John Bateman brings to the team that would have me pencilling him in as one of the first each and every week. Is he playing at his best right now? No, he's not, but his sheer mongrel, determination and will to win is a factor you absolutely need out there at finals time, not to mention just his complete unpredictability.

We're a far better side with him out there, despite him not being at his best.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

The biggest question left unanswered is for 2021...

Which canberra cup teams will have Sutton, Young, Lui, Ryan James, HSS, Timoko and Valemi playing for them??

Im deadset concerned that this is the quality of player that likely wont make next years starting side and will have to play park footy given we dont have a feeder team.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Botman wrote:
BJ wrote: September 21, 2020, 2:51 pm I can’t think of many try causes by Dunamis.
He's got 3 according to Fox, Sutton has 1.
Nice cherry picking. If you believe the Fox Try Causes stats that is. There worse at judging that than their often diabolical try assists.

One try cause counted on Lui was when his outside defender didn’t move off the line with him.
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

Seiffert82 wrote: September 21, 2020, 3:21 pm
Questioning form is one thing, questioning his spot in the side is just stupidity. Dont try and roll it in glitter like you see the game on some higher level.
Dont delete this GE
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

BJ wrote: September 21, 2020, 3:32 pm
Botman wrote:
BJ wrote: September 21, 2020, 2:51 pm I can’t think of many try causes by Dunamis.
Nice cherry picking. If you believe the Fox Try Causes stats that is. There worse at judging that than their often diabolical try assists.

One try cause counted on Lui was when his outside defender didn’t move off the line with him.
Well, lui should have moved him off the line. Not hard
Dont delete this GE
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

simo wrote: September 21, 2020, 3:37 pm
Botman wrote:

Good point, I hate Lui now, we all do. Let's drop him!
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

simo wrote:
Botman wrote:

I guess I can’t hold him to the Papalli level of prop play.

Papa would have tackled all 13 attackers at the same time (if the ref hadn’t been so poorly positioned and in the way).
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

BJ wrote: September 21, 2020, 3:43 pm
simo wrote:
Botman wrote:

I guess I can’t hold him to the Papalli level of prop play.

Papa would have tackled all 13 attackers at the same time (if the ref hadn’t been so poorly positioned and in the way).
I think you might be forgetting about one Joseph Tapine in this scenario, aren't you? Overlooking him even?

Typical.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Good point. Taps would have also created a try opportunity for us making it a 12 point turnaround.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

I have a point?
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Botman wrote:

It’s not cherry picking
It’s just stating the facts as per fox sports lab. If you’ve got issues with their methods that’s fine but I’ve found it to be the best and most reliable publicly available stats.

Point is my eyes tell me Sutton is just as good a defender as Lui and the stats more than back that up. I think they’re both good players and I’ve got no qualms with anyone who has Lui over Sutton. They’re both good players who offer slightly different things
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

simo wrote: September 21, 2020, 3:36 pm
Questioning form is one thing, questioning his spot in the side is just stupidity. Dont try and roll it in glitter like you see the game on some higher level.
Mate, there's a thread about our strongest forward pack and I've made a comment about the form of one of our forwards in that thread.

I appreciate your need to put me in a box because you almost never agree with what I've say, but with all due respect I'll continue to share my thoughts irrespective of what you think of them.
Last edited by Seiffert82 on September 21, 2020, 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Honestly, I think every single person who has posted in this thread today is wrong... except for me.

But, ESPECIALLY me.
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

Seiffert82 wrote: September 21, 2020, 4:51 pm
simo wrote: September 21, 2020, 3:36 pm
Mate, there's a thread about our strongest forward pack and I've made a comment about the form of one of our forwards in that thread.

I appreciate your need to put me in a box because you almost never agree with what I've say, but with all due respect I'll continue to share my thoughts irrespective of what you think of them.
I never said i wanted you to stop sharing your opinion. I said it was stupid. Its good to have a low point for reference
Dont delete this GE
twistedbydesign
Simon Woolford

Post by twistedbydesign »

I don't think I'd play Sia in a final with no footy in three months, not when we have a lot of experience in the pack as it is.

If he can get some minutes and play well this weekend then the debate heats up, failing that I'm fine to roll the dice on our current middle forward rotation. I think all of them have been really good for the last 6-8 weeks.
thedevilingreen
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by thedevilingreen »

I love Sia to death but at the moment with the ways our pack is playing i'm not bringing him in to replace anyone. I think he is perfect as first up if anyone goes down but don't play him for sentimental sakes.
Always be yourself.... Unless you can be batman.... Then you should always be batman
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

For me, Sia sits out until a space pops up....it's a no brainer really.
Next year, when JB returns to England, CHN should be given the chance with a solid preseason to nail that edge position.
In no world do I see Young ever dropping back...
You need to be clinically blind not to see the way he impacts our games both in attack and defence....that footwork and support play at the line in particular are fantastic....the kid has huge potential provided he keeps his nose clean.

For 2021...

8. Papa
9. Hodgo
10. Lui
11. Whitehead
12. CHN
13. Tapine

14. Young
15. Horse
16. Guler/Sutton (take your pick)
17. Starling

18. Sia
19. Liva

Obviously I've left out James...don't know what were getting physically....he's a great leader, but so is Sia.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

No way we can keep all our forwards...Surely we lose a couple fairly soon?
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

I love Sia, but I'm not sold on the logic of signing him up for anything other than a coaching / club role...
jimmy82
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by jimmy82 »

Sia or CHN for the last spot for me.

Young, Lui and Sutton all play.

SIA if he shows his fit enough for a 25
Minute cameo full steam ahead.
Horace Dove-Edwin
Dean Lance
Favourite Player: Chicka Ferguson

Post by Horace Dove-Edwin »

Redundant debate. There will be an injury and/or suspension.
Having depth means Sia gets a run.

Sent from my Mi A3 using Tapatalk

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Horace Dove-Edwin wrote: September 21, 2020, 9:19 pm Redundant debate. There will be an injury and/or suspension.

:lol: :lol:
This is probably the best and most accurate response of the lot.
Well played, sir.
Horace Dove-Edwin
Dean Lance
Favourite Player: Chicka Ferguson

Post by Horace Dove-Edwin »

Botman wrote:
Horace Dove-Edwin wrote: September 21, 2020, 9:19 pm Redundant debate. There will be an injury and/or suspension.

Image Image
This is probably the best and most accurate response of the lot.
Well played, sir.
Hope there's not but we've got the dirty Sharks probably 2 weeks in a row, then Parra and Roosters before the Grand Final.

All physical games with niggle.

Could be a back that goes down. CHN then covers a centre spot.
And that's if Curtis is still out.

This is starting to numb my brain.