Curtis Scott police assault charges dropped after court rules arrest 'unlawful'

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Re: Curtis Scott police assault charges dropped after court rules arrest 'unlawful'

Post by BadnMean »

BJ wrote: September 12, 2020, 12:15 pm
The Nickman wrote:
pickles wrote:I’ll put my hand up and say I’ve done a complete 180 on Scott after this. For a young man to be charged with assault police and have the outcome of that determine whether or not you have a career is a heavy burden to carry.

To find out what has actually happened to him makes it much worse. Sure, getting so drunk you fall asleep in a park isn’t a good look but neither is hand cuffing and unconscious person while you tell them not to resist and pepper spraying and tasering a hand cuffed person is awful.

I hope without this hanging over him he is able to relax and play the footy that he is capable of.
I’ve done a 540 on the whole thing, pick

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ImageCmon Nickman. Even using my old Holder High School semi circular protractor, I can tell you’ve only done a 539 degree turn on the matter.

But then again I paid more attention to footy training than maths class.
I'd assumed he was pulling off something as radical as that on his skatey.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Re: Curtis Scott police assault charges dropped after court rules arrest 'unlawful'

Post by gerg »

BJ wrote:
The Nickman wrote:
pickles wrote:I’ll put my hand up and say I’ve done a complete 180 on Scott after this. For a young man to be charged with assault police and have the outcome of that determine whether or not you have a career is a heavy burden to carry.

To find out what has actually happened to him makes it much worse. Sure, getting so drunk you fall asleep in a park isn’t a good look but neither is hand cuffing and unconscious person while you tell them not to resist and pepper spraying and tasering a hand cuffed person is awful.

I hope without this hanging over him he is able to relax and play the footy that he is capable of.

ImageCmon Nickman. Even using my old Holder High School semi circular protractor, I can tell you’ve only done a 539 degree turn on the matter.

How old are you BJ? We had some epic battles with Holder high back in the day.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

52 so probably a tad older.
Boomercm
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Joe Picker

Post by Boomercm »

gergreg wrote: September 10, 2020, 6:20 pm
greeneyed wrote:If someone can point me to a post where Curtis Scott was unfairly criticised in the thread, I'd be grateful. I can't remember anyone doing that. I'm not saying it didn't happen... but from my cursory glance, I couldn't see any. It is fair enough to say he shouldn't have had that much to drink that it ended up with him sleeping in Moore Park... and I'd still say that. It was highly irresponsible. But what has happened to him has been very unfair, and it is conduct unbecoming of police officers.
Well there was that one thread, actually quite a few, where some posters were calling for his sacking based partly on his lack of form (which I contested) and dragging this club/jersey through the mud. I also remember many jimmies being rustled when he scored a try and made a 'shooshing' motion. Let's not pretend that the majority of us here haven't unfairly slagged him off.

His form hasn't been as good as I had hoped for - in some games - and hopefully this is a turning point for him.

It's not just the officers in the video's who are an issue here, though they are copping the brunt (and fair enough). For 6 months people right through the various departments have seen this video, and they've allowed it to hang over his head, and followed it all the way through. They took it all the way to court placing pressure on him to plead... knowing that if he didn't the footage would then go public. The hubris required right through the system that has allowed that to happen is shocking.

I made a post earlier in this thread about my experience of hopeless policing (that had big consequences). But hopeless is different to intentional harm at multiple levels. This episode suggests the whole chain of command involved in his case (including prosecuters etc) should be gutted. I sure hope he does sue them.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

Boomercm wrote: September 12, 2020, 2:13 pm
greeneyed wrote:If someone can point me to a post where Curtis Scott was unfairly criticised in the thread, I'd be grateful. I can't remember anyone doing that. I'm not saying it didn't happen... but from my cursory glance, I couldn't see any. It is fair enough to say he shouldn't have had that much to drink that it ended up with him sleeping in Moore Park... and I'd still say that. It was highly irresponsible. But what has happened to him has been very unfair, and it is conduct unbecoming of police officers.
Well there was that one thread, actually quite a few, where some posters were calling for his sacking based partly on his lack of form (which I contested) and dragging this club/jersey through the mud. I also remember many jimmies being rustled when he scored a try and made a 'shooshing' motion. Let's not pretend that the majority of us here haven't unfairly slagged him off.

His form hasn't been as good as I had hoped for - in some games - and hopefully this is a turning point for him.

It's not just the officers in the video's who are an issue here, though they are copping the brunt (and fair enough). For 6 months people right through the various departments have seen this video, and they've allowed it to hang over his head, and followed it all the way through. They took it all the way to court placing pressure on him to plead... knowing that if he didn't the footage would then go public. The hubris required right through the system that has allowed that to happen is shocking.

I made a post earlier in this thread about my experience of hopeless policing (that had big consequences). But hopeless is different to intentional harm at multiple levels. This episode suggests the whole chain of command involved in his case (including prosecuters etc) should be gutted. I sure hope he does sue them.
Is anyone else also wondering what the hell was in the video Greenberg saw then?

Was it this? Because surely it can't have been this. It surely wouldn't have taken him so long to make a decision if it was this. Or do we suppose Greenberg watched it, went ****!, and got the NRL lawyers involved to figure out what they could do?
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

I remember Greenberg was at a Raiders game a few years ago and Broncos got away with a plethora of forward passes and other ref decisions (Raiders had a match winning pass correctly called slightly forward).

Stuart said Greenberg saw the game and would have seen the ref blunders. Greenberg went public and said the refs made all the right calls. Greenberg obviously watched the Curtis Scott video with the same inept eyes.
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

BJ wrote:
The Nickman wrote:

So you’re why we didn’t have enough protractors to go around!!!
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders centre Curtis Scott opens up on mental anguish and fallout from dropped police charges

Death threats aimed at his family and harsh criticism from former players almost led to Curtis Scott quitting the NRL.

“I’ve had death threats,” Scott said. “People messaging me telling me ‘you’re a dog, I’ll kill your family’ or ‘wait until I see you in the street”. Even my friends have apologised to me after watching the footage. Ex-players have been scathing in their opinions of me. This impacts our mental health. We are people away from the footy field. I really considered walking away from it all.”

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... eabbfbc1d3
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

raiderskater wrote: September 12, 2020, 2:36 pm
Boomercm wrote: September 12, 2020, 2:13 pm

Is anyone else also wondering what the hell was in the video Greenberg saw then?

Was it this? Because surely it can't have been this. It surely wouldn't have taken him so long to make a decision if it was this. Or do we suppose Greenberg watched it, went ****!, and got the NRL lawyers involved to figure out what they could do?
Thankfully V'landys exposed Todd Greedberg as the incompetent flog that he was. The bloke was too busy spending NRL money on junkets to worry about properly dealing with these sort of issues.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

@TheGHRaiders

Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart reflects on Curtis Scott's week in court. #NRL #WeAreRaiders #wearecbr

https://omny.fm/shows/triple-m-rocks-fo ... assive-wee
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Bellamy slams online trolls after Curtis Scott reveals family death threats: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... c093f31e0b
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

‘Very damaging’ images released showing marks on Curtis Scott’s body after Taser arrest

Images have emerged of the toll left on Canberra Raiders centre Curtis Scott’s body after his heavy-handed arrest on Australia Day earlier this year.

After successfully having the charged dropped, his lawyer Sam Macedone has urged him to take action and seek legal redress with images being released of his injuries.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 2b801d9ec5

VIDEO: Images obtained by Nine News show the shocking extent of Curtis Scott's battered and bruised body, following his shocking arrest earlier this year, and his lawyer says he a good case if he chose to seek compensation: http://ow.ly/rJDh50Btrn9
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

Firstly can I just say to all of you who had a go at me for not wanting to sack Curtis and who said cops wouldn't have done what was being said .
I was right, and you were wrong 😇

Secondly for everyone who said I was wrong when I said i will wait till the court case before judging curtis- I was right again 😇

Thirdly I am proud of our club and how they believed Curtis and stood by him.

A few on here owe him an apology

Right now I think there are certain cops feeling very nervous, and rightly so .

What I'm curious about is how/why it happened and how the hell did the police prosecution let it even get to court let alone drag out so long
When did the cops realise it was an NRL player? Was that the motivation?

99.999% of cops do the right thing but something went very wrong that night
Vaccinated
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

cat wrote:Firstly can I just say to all of you who had a go at me for not wanting to sack Curtis and who said cops wouldn't have done what was being said .
I was right, and you were wrong Image

Secondly for everyone who said I was wrong when I said i will wait till the court case before judging curtis- I was right again Image

Thirdly I am proud of our club and how they believed Curtis and stood by him.

A few on here owe him an apology

Right now I think there are certain cops feeling very nervous, and rightly so .

What I'm curious about is how/why it happened and how the hell did the police prosecution let it even get to court let alone drag out so long
When did the cops realise it was an NRL player? Was that the motivation?

99.999% of cops do the right thing but something went very wrong that night
cat you have absolutely blind faith, that's your thing.
I said sack him, straight out, as he said if he got found guilty of assaulting police he'd have been sacked.
We didn't get to see the footage till right at the end of the saga, I've got mates who are police and they are shocked and angry at their peers behaviour too.
My belief is usually the police are in the right and people who get tasered generally deserved it.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Cat....

Curtis Scott.... I think we should wait until the evidence is reviewed and the court case runs it's course.

CHN/Okunbor... they should never play NRL ever again (before any facts are known)

CHN signs with Raiders.... he deserves another chance.

Shoving it in your face since 2017
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

Bonehead, you are right, I have faith but its not blind.
I had faith that the club would of sacked him IF he did as he was charged with. And Curtis has said that as has Ricky. The fact they didn't sack him proved his innocence to me.

I've got mates too who are cops and are shocked at that footage
To be honest I am shocked with that footage , its certainly not what I expected.

I expected it to have been 2 young female cops who were tired and over worked Australia Day night and panicked at such a big man. I expected to see Curtis lash out when they disturbed him putting the cuffs on

And sadly that kind of thing does happen in Sydney, young cops do panic and unlawfully go the cuffs etc., there have been plenty of examples in the media over the last few years.

As I said before I am curious to know when the cops realised who he was, was it a power trip? That wasn't cops panicking, that was police brutality with no reason for it.

If anyone can explain to me the motivation behind that I would honestly love to hear it.
Vaccinated
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Joseph 'the worm' Tapine

Post by 1992 »

I love how at the 1 minute mark he has been pepper sprayed for no reason and the EDIT cop tells him he is arrested for assaulting police.

Women and weak men should not be doing this sort of police work as they are far more likely to br intimidated and use more force than needed.
WHAT A LONG STRANGE TRIP IT'S BEEN
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

I said this way back in Jan/Feb when this was all going down but some people have way too much blind faith in police. Yes, some cops are good people... but this is typical behaviour from NSW police when they think nobody is watching. I've seen some absolutely horrific arrests in Sydney on people who were in no way a threat as they were too drunk or high to stand or even open their eyes. As a contrast, police in the ACT from my experience are generally less prone to crossing the legal line in the way NSW police do... there are some pricks but they definitely don't carry on like thugs in the same way. It's a culture thing, for sure.

@bonehead - if your copper mates who are shocked and angered by their peers' actions are based in Sydney... then they're surely having a laugh because they would know damn well how some of their peers like to carry on.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Raiders_Pat wrote: September 18, 2020, 8:46 am I said this way back in Jan/Feb when this was all going down but some people have way too much blind faith in police. Yes, some cops are good people... but this is typical behaviour from NSW police when they think nobody is watching. I've seen some absolutely horrific arrests in Sydney on people who were in no way a threat as they were too drunk or high to stand or even open their eyes. As a contrast, police in the ACT from my experience are generally less prone to crossing the legal line in the way NSW police do... there are some pricks but they definitely don't carry on like thugs in the same way. It's a culture thing, for sure.

@bonehead - if your copper mates who are shocked and angered by their peers' actions are based in Sydney... then they're surely having a laugh because they would know damn well how some of their peers like to carry on.
AFP usually have a higher standard of qualification than NSW police.

One of my best mates is an AFP detective (we went to the GF together last season actually, massive Raiders fan) and he said he would have been utterly ashamed to be associated with what went on at that arrest, utterly ashamed.

He also commented it is VERY hard to get police sanctioned or held accountable for poor behaviour on the job also though- whether you are Joe Public or Joe Copper.
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

ACAB
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

One of my mates was in the Stasi and he was shocked at the light touch and soft approach used by the NSW police.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

BJ wrote: September 18, 2020, 12:06 pm One of my mates was in the Stasi and he was shocked at the light touch and soft approach used by the NSW police.
:roflmao

:clap:

Touche'
benda
Brett Mullins

Post by benda »

Its really sad to see what has happened. I know the police made a mistake and they are human too but someone needs to compensate Curtis for this.

Not only did this put a lot of doubt with us fans, its affected his personal health and form. Financially im sure thats the same.

I hope he can put this behind him and move forward.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

To be honest, you've got to seriously question the judgement of these people, who not only abused their position of power to essentially torture a drunk for **** and giggles, but were also stupid enough to do it on camera...and then take it to court to be publicly shamed.

Seriously...how dumb are these people?

How are they even remotely capable of dealing with actual criminals?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NRL issues Canberra Raiders centre Curtis Scott with breach notice

Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart praised the way NRL chief executive Andrew Abdo handled the Curtis Scott incident, revealing he personally contacted the Raiders centre before issuing him with a breach notice.

"I think it's very fair. The NRL have handled it very well. They have to do something because Curtis put himself in a position that was unnecessary and I'm sure Curtis will do the course," Stuart said.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

NRL hit Curtis Scott with massive fine despite charges being dropped: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 89617d799b

https://7news.com.au/sport/rugby-league ... -c-1328588

NRL statement on Curtis Scott

The National Rugby League today issued Canberra Raiders player Curtis Scott with a breach notice alleging he brought the game into disrepute and breached the NRL's policies concerning the consumption of alcohol.

The notice alleges that on the evening of Sunday, 26 January, Scott engaged in drunken behaviour in the street and public park adjacent to Driver Avenue in Moore Park.

The notice proposes Scott be fined $15,000. Scott will have the opportunity to have the entirety of that fine suspended should he successfully complete an education and counselling program implemented by the NRL's Wellbeing and Education Department. Part of that education and counselling will be to directed at gaining a better understanding of the risks of excessive alcohol use.

NRL Chief Executive Andrew Abdo said the game expected a higher standard of behaviour from its players.

"Our players are role models in the community and must set an example for young people who look up to them,'' he said.

"In our view, Curtis should not have placed himself in a position where he was found in the state that he was in. That sort of behaviour is not acceptable and impacts on the reputation of our game and our brand."

Scott has five working days to respond to the breach notice.

NRL media statement
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Ultimately the NRL have made all the right calls on this.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Yeah, good call
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Seiffert82 wrote:To be honest, you've got to seriously question the judgement of these people, who not only abused their position of power to essentially torture a drunk for **** and giggles, but were also stupid enough to do it on camera...and then take it to court to be publicly shamed.

Maybe why they are doing foot patrol in the wee small hours of the night
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Dr Zaius wrote: September 19, 2020, 3:32 pm
Seiffert82 wrote:To be honest, you've got to seriously question the judgement of these people, who not only abused their position of power to essentially torture a drunk for **** and giggles, but were also stupid enough to do it on camera...and then take it to court to be publicly shamed.

Maybe why they are doing foot patrol in the wee small hours of the night
Good point.

As far as the NRL sanction goes, I think it is a fair punishment given his option to participate in the training rather than pay the fine.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Just for the sake of accuracy... the police weren’t on a foot patrol. They were called after a complaint that Curtis threw his phone at a car. The taxi driver provided a statement it, and was concerned it could have done serious damage.
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

greeneyed wrote:Just for the sake of accuracy... the police weren’t on a foot patrol. They were called after a complaint that Curtis threw his phone at a car. The taxi driver provided a statement it, and was concerned it could have done serious damage.
To the phone?
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

reptar wrote: September 20, 2020, 2:58 pm
greeneyed wrote:Just for the sake of accuracy... the police weren’t on a foot patrol. They were called after a complaint that Curtis threw his phone at a car. The taxi driver provided a statement it, and was concerned it could have done serious damage.
To the phone?
I've seen GH members spiral a mobile telephone through BOTH car windows at 50 paces, just down the park.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

BadnMean wrote:
To the phone?
I've seen GH members spiral a mobile telephone through BOTH car windows at 50 paces, just down the park.
Either side?
benda
Brett Mullins

Post by benda »

The guy got pissed and was sleeping under a tree. Not disturbing anyone at that point in time. Not role model type stuff.

I just hope he gets on the field and performs to his potential (like he did at the Storm) and we move forward.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Dr Zaius wrote: September 20, 2020, 4:46 pm
BadnMean wrote:
To the phone?
Either side?
Also using the foot off the play the ball.