Rugby League 2020

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Rugby League 2020

Post by greeneyed »

Not a great media performer, from what I've seen so far in the press conference (live now), but then Todd Greenberg was and look what happened there. Plus V'landys is the person actually running the show.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Abdo seems pretty good. PV and him seem to be as good or a better team than any others over the last 20 years. So I’m happy with the appointment.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

I've never gambled on anything in my life, but even I know that this is a thing of beautyImage

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NRL cuts bunker officials from two to one

The NRL has adopted procedural changes to Bunker operations which will provide a more simplified approach to decision making.

The primary basis of the change is a reduction in the number of Bunker officials involved from two to one effective from Round 19, commencing Thursday.

“Earlier this year the change from two on-field referees to one has simplified officiating, resulting in a high standard being maintained so far this season. Referees have demonstrated increased confidence to make their own decisions,” NRL Head of Football Elite Competitions Graham Annesley said.

“Similarly, by reducing the number of people involved in the review process, we feel Bunker officials will also feel more confident in making decisions without consultation, thereby avoiding potential conflicting views or doubt that may on occasions be created by the involvement of a second review official.

“Importantly though, these changes will be invisible to our Clubs and fans on game day. The primary expectation of everyone involved in the game is to see the Bunker make prompt, accurate decisions.

"They have no interest in what happens behind the scenes so they will notice no difference during games other than what we believe will be improved decision-making.

“Along with all other aspects of officiating and football related matters, these changes will be reviewed at the end of the season for further Commission input and approval.”

NRL media release
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

This sounds like a bad move to me. Might make decision making quicker on 50/50s if there’s differing views, but I don’t really give a hoot about the ones you can argue either way.

Surely having 2 people reduces the chances of the absolute howlers where for whatever reason the person just doesn’t consider an aspect of play like a freakin’ touch judge with their flag up.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

From what they were saying on Back Page tonight, the Bunker has an ex-player and a Ref reviewing the match. This decision removes the ex-player.

They were saying there were moments where the 2 Bunker refs weren’t agreeing on calls, so this would eliminate that, along with the ex-player being biased... whatever that meant
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

I’m good with the ex-players being removed. Being a player doesn’t guarantee you’re a good ref.

But I’d have two refs in there.
BJ
Steve Walters

Rugby League 2020

Post by BJ »

I posted this as an issue that would inevitably arise a few weeks back. I therefore have to put the blame back on Annesley.

A few weeks ago, We had a no try call by the video ref for Havilli interference standing in the line. Havilli had passed the ball in the lead up play and he wasn’t actually a decoy. Annesley didn’t address this bad decision in his review. It’s on his head that he created this issue.

Poor work by Annesley and the NRL media for not highlighting the incorrect ruling and setting it as the standard for similar video ref decisions.
Last edited by BJ on September 15, 2020, 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

I’m not seeing the connection here BJ?
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

gangrenous wrote:I’m not seeing the connection here BJ? Image
You will have to look at the Roosters try that wasn’t awarded. Not the change in the number of video refs that was the outcome of the bad decision.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Rugby League 2020

Post by The Nickman »

Honestly, the bunker should be three people and if a single one disagrees with the other two, then they should go with the onfield ref

Then they should review all of the ones who were different every week and if someone’s consistently getting it wrong, they should be dropped

And they shouldn’t be allowed to discuss between them, they individually make the call and hit a button each or something
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I think blowing the bunker up would be a better option..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

The Nickman wrote:Honestly, the bunker should be three people and if a single one disagrees with the other two, then they should go with the onfield ref

Then they should review all of the ones who were different every week and if someone’s consistently getting it wrong, they should be dropped

And they shouldn’t be allowed to discuss between them, they individually make the call and hit a button each or something
I think a model like this could work, but unfortunately there is no decent depth. If they're all stinking it up there isn't a qualified and quality pool of replacements to draw from. As an aside there is no way Cummins is a NRL standard referee but he keeps getting games because of the same problem.

But and I've whinged about this before there are too many grey areas in the rulebook. Why do players that don't heel the ball back correctly (a sloppy play the ball) lose possession when 3 out of 5 play the balls every set, the ball just gets rolled under the foot without a touch. Why can a player shepherd the ball over the sideline or deadball line but you're not allowed to block a kicker in the field of play?

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

I’ve seen the idea floated to increase Captains Challenges, and only use the Bunker for challenges, putting the decision making back to the on field referee.

I can get behind this. The broadcasters won’t allow this though because KFC won’t get their publicity from the Video Ref calls
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

I would at least like to see players appeal for a try similar to the way cricketers appeal for a wicket. It'll at least reduce those occasions where a player is short, stand up for a quick play the ball, but the ref calls time to review a try. Oe when the player knows they haven't grounded it and the ref calls time off when the player is running back to the 20.

One thing that'd need to be monitored is to not let it be misused to stop teams getting a quick 20m restart when a ref calls no try and players ask to stop play to review a try

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

No video ref on the day. Bring back the in goal judge.
We already have a "Match Review Committee". They can do their job and review the match the next day, awarding points then declaring the winner.

The excitement of being down by 6 only to win by 12 the next day. Incredible.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

zim wrote:No video ref on the day. Bring back the in goal judge.
We already have a "Match Review Committee". They can do their job and review the match the next day, awarding points then declaring the winner.

like supercoach

Edrick The Entertainer
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

zim wrote: September 16, 2020, 10:17 am No video ref on the day. Bring back the in goal judge.

I **** LOVE this idea, zim… WILDCARD!!
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Sid wrote:I would at least like to see players appeal for a try similar to the way cricketers appeal for a wicket. It'll at least reduce those occasions where a player is short, stand up for a quick play the ball, but the ref calls time to review a try. Oe when the player knows they haven't grounded it and the ref calls time off when the player is running back to the 20.

One thing that'd need to be monitored is to not let it be misused to stop teams getting a quick 20m restart when a ref calls no try and players ask to stop play to review a try

I don't entirely agree, but an attacking player should definitely be able to decline going to the bunker if they know they didn't score.

Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

I get what you're saying, but with a reverse appeal, a referee has already called time off to go up to the bunker.

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

What the hell is a reverse appeal?

-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

gergreg wrote:What the hell is a reverse appeal?

Zathow?

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

A reverse appeal is Appealing to the referee to not go to the bunker when you know you haven’t scored. Kind of like appealing to a cricket umpire that you haven’t taken a wicket

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Sid wrote:

A reverse appeal is Appealing to the referee to not go to the bunker when you know you haven’t scored. Kind of like appealing to a cricket umpire that you haven’t taken a wicket
ok, but that is what I mean. If the referee calls time off to go to the bunker and the player says 'I didn't score' surely the ref should just cancel going to the bunker and play on.

FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Sid wrote:

What would be the advantage to that to the player who fesses you?

Most players Ham it up when they’ve scored. I don’t think I’ve seen a player own up to not scoring

Nickman's love of NSW
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Being able to play on without giving the defence a breather.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

-TW- wrote:

Zathow?

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk
That’s hilarious.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

I'm certain Sid has completely lost his mind here
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Sid wrote:

we called a batsman back after a howler lbw, it was a tailed off half shout as we all heard the inside edge onto pad

Edrick The Entertainer
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

gangrenous wrote: September 17, 2020, 7:56 am Being able to play on without giving the defence a breather.
I can't picture it happening, maybe because I haven't seen the rule in cricket. But I think I would prefer to roll the dice on a 50/50 chance at 4 points than not giving the defence a breather

Nickman's love of NSW
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

It would be for scenarios where you know you didn’t score. Not for a 50/50
Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

Yeah, just for the rare occasions where the player has given no indication that they have scored, but it goes up to the bunker anyway

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

I know there’s been a few times recently in Raiders games where they’ve sent up for a try and it was very obviously not one. I’ve yelled at the tv for this to be a thing.

Usually it’s in a held up situation.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

gangrenous wrote: September 17, 2020, 7:28 pm It would be for scenarios where you know you didn’t score. Not for a 50/50
Even still, given the track record from the Video referees, it’s probably worth chancing your arm.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Brent Read just Tweeted Bulldogs members have received a letter confirming Dave Furner will be Barrett's senior assistant Coach

Nickman's love of NSW