Curtis Scott police assault charges dropped after court rules arrest 'unlawful'

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: Curtis Scott police assault charges dropped after court rules arrest 'unlawful'

Post by Northern Raider »

Seen the video now. Can't believe the cops pushed on with charges following this. No excuse for Scott to be in that situation but very poorly handled by the authorities IMO. They created a major incident out of a relatively minor one.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Re: Curtis Scott police assault charges dropped after court rules arrest 'unlawful'

Post by GreenMachine »

The cops are embarrassing..
The guy got charged for taking a snooze...ridiculous.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

I'd like to see Scott pursue an assault charge against the officers. Perhaps defamation as well.

This country desperately needs a high profile case where an officer is convicted of assault after abusing their power. Scott's case would be just the right one.

But if he just wanted to move on and focus on footy I wouldn't blame him.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Elcaptcroker
David Grant
Favourite Player: Jarrod croker

Post by Elcaptcroker »

Hahahah wheres all those people claiming the police are right yadda yadda and that they dont charge people for no reason and the media know the whole court transcript so they wouldnt ride the back of false claims?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

NWA said it best....
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Elcaptcroker wrote: September 9, 2020, 5:43 pm Hahahah wheres all those people claiming the police are right yadda yadda and that they dont charge people for no reason and the media know the whole court transcript so they wouldnt ride the back of false claims?

People said that??
Colk
Dean Lance

Post by Colk »

I wonder if this strengthens our hand in moving him on
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

What a complete and utter cluster of a situation.

Hopefully lessons were learnt all 'round.

I wonder if the mysterious knee injury is related to the timing of this?
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raiders666 »

The Nickman wrote: September 9, 2020, 6:01 pm
Elcaptcroker wrote: September 9, 2020, 5:43 pm Hahahah wheres all those people claiming the police are right yadda yadda and that they dont charge people for no reason and the media know the whole court transcript so they wouldnt ride the back of false claims?

People said that??
I think we all know who said that haha
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raiders666 »

Colk wrote: September 9, 2020, 6:13 pm I wonder if this strengthens our hand in moving him on
How do you figure? He has been better than Croker lately anyway
Colk
Dean Lance

Post by Colk »

Raiders666 wrote: September 9, 2020, 6:18 pm
Colk wrote: September 9, 2020, 6:13 pm I wonder if this strengthens our hand in moving him on
We aren’t going to move our captain. My thinking is that as he has no police record, other clubs might be more willing to take a punt; particularly if we pay some of the transit

We need a strike backline player as well which we don’t have
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raiders666 »

Colk wrote: September 9, 2020, 6:22 pm
We aren’t going to move our captain. My thinking is that as he has no police record, other clubs might be more willing to take a punt; particularly if we pay some of the transit

I think Scott has more upside than Croker and Rapana.....I'd be keeping him
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Gee extraordinary footage. Crazy behaviour by the police.

Having said that, it is not good enough for a professional athlete to be so paralytic that he is in that situation to begin with.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

I was (and am) very critical of Scott for the way he got himself into that situation, but that footage is a dead set embarrassment for the police.

"Don't resist! Don't resist mate!" the 3 officers implore the sleeping drunk as they gently place the handcuffs around his limp wrists. :lol:

They obviously have never seen him play. He's no chance of breaking out of anything, even when sober.
Colk
Dean Lance

Post by Colk »

Raiders666 wrote: September 9, 2020, 6:31 pm

What games are you watching? Croker on current form is arguable however Rapana is miles better than Scott even taking into consideration his regression.

Rapana can at least break a tackle and tackle a bloke
Colk
Dean Lance

Post by Colk »

Seiffert82 wrote: September 9, 2020, 6:54 pm I was (and am) very critical of Scott for the way he got himself into that situation, but that footage is a dead set embarrassment for the police.

"Don't resist! Don't resist mate!" the 3 officers implore the sleeping drunk as they gently place the handcuffs around his limp wrists. :lol:

They obviously have never seen him play. He's no chance of breaking out of anything, even when sober.
Burn
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raiders666 »

Colk wrote: September 9, 2020, 6:57 pm

What games are you watching? Croker on current form is arguable however Rapana is miles better than Scott even taking into consideration his regression.

Rapana has what? 1? 2? more years ahead of him? I just think Scott can come good..I'm thinking more for the future. We aren't winning the comp with the Backline we have this yr..The drop in form is alarming
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Curtis Scott to seek legal costs and may lodge complaint after assault charges thrown out

Curtis Scott's legal team will return to court on Thursday seeking legal costs while the Raiders centre may yet lodge a formal complaint against NSW Police after five charges against him were thrown out of court on Wednesday.

"We're asking for costs to be paid. We're going to plead guilty to those other two small things he's agreed to plead guilty to," lawyer Sam Macedone said.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14237

VIDEO: Canberra Raiders centre Curtis Scott cleared of assaulting police after arrest deemed unlawful. Nine News reports: http://ow.ly/9uTF50BlKmb
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

There’s a great big piece missing in this whole story. When, and why was a taser and pepper spray used. I understand that due to the footage shown that any charges after that point of wrongful arrest is inadmissible due to the circumstance, but the rhetoric on here tonight is that it was a poor little guy just having a sleep and the big bad police did him wrong. The gap in the footage released today, and the footage of him being put in the wagon that was previously released would be the interesting part... what did he do to warrant a taser and capsicum spray even though he was already handcuffed?
Old School Green
Dean Lance

Post by Old School Green »

Coastalraider wrote: September 9, 2020, 7:51 pm There’s a great big piece missing in this whole story. When, and why was a taser and pepper spray used. I understand that due to the footage shown that any charges after that point of wrongful arrest is inadmissible due to the circumstance, but the rhetoric on here tonight is that it was a poor little guy just having a sleep and the big bad police did him wrong. The gap in the footage released today, and the footage of him being put in the wagon that was previously released would be the interesting part... what did he do to warrant a taser and capsicum spray even though he was already handcuffed?
Seriously any credibility those officers had evaporated with the staged for the camera ‘don’t resist mate’ comments.
Pretty disgraceful and imo the fact that it got to this stage is outrageous. Clearly agenda driven and I hope that Scott gets awarded costs and those police officers are reprimanded or worse.
It’s pretty disgraceful that Scott has been pilloried and has had to endure this garbage whilst Mr and Mrs shameful nsw police get anonymity thus hiding their incompetence and embarrassment to joe public.
87, 89, 90, 91, 94, 19
I was there. Go the Milk !!
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Police certainly didn’t do their reputation any favours with that effort.

They created a bad situation by starting off on the wrong track.

I hope Scott lets it go now. Not worth chasing any more than the legal fees. He needs to learn from the event and focus on becoming a better footballer.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Coastalraider wrote: September 9, 2020, 7:51 pm There’s a great big piece missing in this whole story. When, and why was a taser and pepper spray used. I understand that due to the footage shown that any charges after that point of wrongful arrest is inadmissible due to the circumstance, but the rhetoric on here tonight is that it was a poor little guy just having a sleep and the big bad police did him wrong. The gap in the footage released today, and the footage of him being put in the wagon that was previously released would be the interesting part... what did he do to warrant a taser and capsicum spray even though he was already handcuffed?
The “poor little guy” was absolute hammered and clearly incapable of providing much, if any resistance and as per the judge who has seen the body cam footage of an unlawful arrest and reportedly assaults by police on Scott, the “big bad police” did indeed do him wrong

I’d sit this one out mate
It’s plainly clear that police were to totally and completely out of line here
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

Seiffert82 wrote: September 9, 2020, 6:54 pm I was (and am) very critical of Scott for the way he got himself into that situation, but that footage is a dead set embarrassment for the police.

Seeing them like watermelons this evening Seiff
raiderskater
Jason Croker

Post by raiderskater »

And it's not like NSW Police don't have a well-deserved reputation for being bullies and abusing their power. Perhaps Scott ought to be grateful he's just a drunk guy and not a teenage girl wanting to go to a music festival, so it's just regular assault instead of sexual assault.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

I've just seen the video on SMH. It was a gross abuse of power by the police and their assault allegations were laughable. There was not one shred of evidence to support the police claims. I am very surprised the police would take this to court to prosecute. Furthermore, the police were also given opportunities to settle outside of court by Scott's legal team on several occasions.

Imagine Greenberg standing Scott down based on the no fault stand down policy; at the time it was said it was very close. I hope Scott gets some justice by having his costs paid.
Last edited by Hong Kong Raider on September 9, 2020, 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Yep. This outcome proved a perfect example of the problem with standing down players before a court case.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Rickmando wrote: September 9, 2020, 9:36 pm

Seeing them like watermelons this evening Seiff
Yeah, that one was pretty poor form. :lol:
Colk
Dean Lance

Post by Colk »

Raiders666 wrote: September 9, 2020, 7:27 pm

Rapana has what? 1? 2? more years ahead of him? I just think Scott can come good..I'm thinking more for the future. We aren't winning the comp with the Backline we have this yr..The drop in form is alarming
How far in the future do you want to look and how much upside do you see?

Scott is not some bloke as far as I can see with massive potential for improvement like a Stephen Crichton or Zac Lomax just to point at some common examples. At best he is an average first grader, so therefore the argument should be based true on who is the better player now and not how many years as he got as a professional player. In that case, it is clearly Rapana.

Also, I don’t like this attitude of looking beyond 12-24 months too much. If your squad is strong outside of a few areas then you don’t think of waiting around, or seeing how it goes in a year or two, you try and improve it straight away because you don’t know know how long the opportunity is
Colk
Dean Lance

Post by Colk »

Has not as
raiderskater
Jason Croker

Post by raiderskater »

BJ wrote: September 9, 2020, 9:56 pm Yep. This outcome proved a perfect example of the problem with standing down players before a court case.
How so? Scott would still have been paid, still have been allowed into the COVID bubble and still allowed to train with the boys. He'd then be free to be named now. I know that's not ideal, and he'd be lacking match fitness, but it's hardly like being sacked.

I assume you're hinting at de Belin, and I have never had any problem with him being stood down. The optics of that case are appalling. At best he's a dirtbag who cheated on his pregnant wife (since de Belin's team don't seem to be arguing that no sexual relation took place), and at worst he's a gang rapist. The NRL would be crucified for allowing a rapist to play if they did and the court finds him guilty.

Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

raiderskater wrote: September 9, 2020, 10:19 pm
BJ wrote: September 9, 2020, 9:56 pm Yep. This outcome proved a perfect example of the problem with standing down players before a court case.
How so? Scott would still have been paid, still have been allowed into the COVID bubble and still allowed to train with the boys. He'd then be free to be named now. I know that's not ideal, and he'd be lacking match fitness, but it's hardly like being sacked.

I assume you're hinting at de Belin, and I have never had any problem with him being stood down. The optics of that case are appalling. At best he's a dirtbag who cheated on his pregnant wife (since de Belin's team don't seem to be arguing that no sexual relation took place), and at worst he's a gang rapist. The NRL would be crucified for allowing a rapist to play if they did and the court finds him guilty.
I was referring to Scott in the context of the no fault policy. I have no problem with de Belin being stood down for what he has been accused of and charged by the police. I'm not comparing the two.
As we have seen subsequently, de Belin's case for dismissal of the case for lack of evidence has been dismissed recently.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

I definitely wasn’t hinting at De Belin either. I agree with the rule around standing down people facing a long jail time if found guilty.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raiders666 »

Colk wrote: September 9, 2020, 10:05 pm
Raiders666 wrote: September 9, 2020, 7:27 pm

How far in the future do you want to look and how much upside do you see?

Scott is not some bloke as far as I can see with massive potential for improvement like a Stephen Crichton or Zac Lomax just to point at some common examples. At best he is an average first grader, so therefore the argument should be based true on who is the better player now and not how many years as he got as a professional player. In that case, it is clearly Rapana.

Also, I don’t like this attitude of looking beyond 12-24 months too much. If your squad is strong outside of a few areas then you don’t think of waiting around, or seeing how it goes in a year or two, you try and improve it straight away because you don’t know know how long the opportunity is
You make good points and I guess the question is have we invested too much cap into our forwards? Apart from Croker no one else is costing us an arm and a leg
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

raiderskater wrote: September 9, 2020, 9:37 pm And it's not like NSW Police don't have a well-deserved reputation for being bullies and abusing their power. Perhaps Scott ought to be grateful he's just a drunk guy and not a teenage girl wanting to go to a music festival, so it's just regular assault instead of sexual assault.
Do cops have a reputation of raping teenage girls wanting to go to music festivals? Because that's what sexual assault is.

Cops searching someone after a drug dog makes an indication (if that's what you're actually referring to) is not rape, despite the ambiguity as to its lawfulness.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Finchy wrote:
raiderskater wrote: September 9, 2020, 9:37 pm And it's not like NSW Police don't have a well-deserved reputation for being bullies and abusing their power. Perhaps Scott ought to be grateful he's just a drunk guy and not a teenage girl wanting to go to a music festival, so it's just regular assault instead of sexual assault.
Do cops have a reputation of raping teenage girls wanting to go to music festivals? Because that's what sexual assault is.

Cops searching someone after a drug dog makes an indication (if that's what you're actually referring to) is not rape, despite the ambiguity as to its lawfulness.
I think it's a fairly open secret that drug dogs give 'indication' on command, and many police are happy to abuse their systems.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.