Papalii re-signs to end 2024, option for 2025

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

casta66
Sam Backo
Favourite Player: Laurie

Re: Papalii to become a Raider for life, set to re-sign to end 2024

Post by casta66 »

I just know that regardless of results, I have more confidence with Ricky at the helm than any coach since Tim sheens. But perhaps that was due to the 13 internationals in his starting line-up 😂
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

Groundskeeer Willie wrote: September 7, 2020, 9:40 pm
casta66 wrote: September 7, 2020, 9:33 pm
Hong Kong Raider wrote: September 7, 2020, 9:14 pm This is Ricky's 7th year - for 3 finals (2016, 2019 and this year). Given where we started from, the quality of our roster at that time, and the fact that he got us into a GF and prelim final, I would give him a high pass at this stage. For me 2017 - 18 were very disappointing.
A high pass surely

The job of a coach goes well beyond the weekly results. Although long term of course they are a big factor.

What Ricky has done for this club will never be measured here.

Lose a few games and people will call for his head

But he has been amazing.
100% it's absolutely comical that people try to criticise him.. He has literally single handedly completely turned this club around in the most remarkable way, on and off the field. He has been a god send and if we never signed him we would still be living in the age where we constantly finish 12th-16th, with a top 8 finish every 2nd or 3rd year on the back of a late winning streak. Our roster now is on a different planet to the one we had before Ricky's arrival..
Agree with you both. Just the different level of respect we get now is amazing. Not reflected on FTA coverage, of course.
casta66
Sam Backo

Post by casta66 »

Yes it's a bit of a disparity inw my mind, that we can say "Papa could go with our blessing" as he's given so much to the Jersey.

In my mind, Ricky has given more than anyone as coach and club leader. But he's the hardest marked.
Groundskeeer Willie
Sam Backo
Favourite Player: King George

Post by Groundskeeer Willie »

casta66 wrote: September 7, 2020, 10:59 pm Yes it's a bit of a disparity inw my mind, that we can say "Papa could go with our blessing" as he's given so much to the Jersey.

In my mind, Ricky has given more than anyone as coach and club leader. But he's the hardest marked.
Hardest marked.. closely followed by charnze, Croker, Scott, rapana, Jack and George :lol:
casta66
Sam Backo

Post by casta66 »

And Sonny Bill 😉
hrundi89
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by hrundi89 »

I believe Papa's comments were that he needs to consider his family's wellbeing after the end of the current contract.
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: September 7, 2020, 9:14 pm This is Ricky's 7th year - for 3 finals (2016, 2019 and this year). Given where we started from, the quality of our roster at that time, and the fact that he got us into a GF and prelim final, I would give him a high pass at this stage. For me 2017 - 18 were very disappointing.
A high pass surely

The job of a coach goes well beyond the weekly results. Although long term of course they are a big factor.

But he has been amazing.
100% it's absolutely comical that people try to criticise him.. He has literally single handedly completely turned this club around in the most remarkable way, on and off the field. He has been a god send and if we never signed him we would still be living in the age where we constantly finish 12th-16th, with a top 8 finish every 2nd or 3rd year on the back of a late winning streak. Our roster now is on a different planet to the one we had before Ricky's arrival..
Plenty of criticism directed his way after 2018 was justified. He'd been in charge 5 years and made the finals once. The team had also regressed after the sugar hit of 2016 with that one year looking like the outlier.

Since then he made a few more adjustments and now the record is looking much better. The biggest shift was the Raiders looking like a contender for the first time in a decades. Very different from scraping into the finals every other year that we became used to. That alone makes his overall tenure a successful one. Only thing missing is a title.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Northern Raider wrote: September 8, 2020, 9:01 am
A high pass surely

But he has been amazing.
Plenty of criticism directed his way after 2018 was justified. He'd been in charge 5 years and made the finals once. The team had also regressed after the sugar hit of 2016 with that one year looking like the outlier.

Since then he made a few more adjustments and now the record is looking much better. The biggest shift was the Raiders looking like a contender for the first time in a decades. Very different from scraping into the finals every other year that we became used to. That alone makes his overall tenure a successful one. Only thing missing is a title.
To be honest I don't think Ricky has been getting any serious heat since the end of 2018 and rightfully so. If you had said before 2016 that we would be proper title contenders for 3 of the next 5 years you would be stoked with that.

He has done an amazing job to build a squad and culture at least half the competition would be envious of.

Having said that, nothing lasts forever and with the salary cap pretty much forcing squad regeneration every few years I do wonder what the next few years hold as some of the guys start getting older and being moved on or retiring.
Up The Milk
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Raised the question, where are we in regard to coach for the future. Is Sticky in for a Bellamy/Bennett type of run at one club? Does he stick around until the team's fortunes go downhill? Problem with the latter scenario is you tend to hold on too long when it occurs. End up with several failed seasons before action is taken. I'd like to believe we'll be perennial finals contenders for the next 5 years but don't think that's realistic.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Groundskeeer Willie
Sam Backo

Are we sure we should be offering Josh papalii a lifetime contract??? It seems like an awfully big risk for a player that hasn't proven himself?
casta66
Sam Backo

Post by casta66 »

Yes he certainly has potential, but perhaps give it some time to see if his body is up to the task of week to week footy.
Groundskeeer Willie
Sam Backo

casta66 wrote: September 8, 2020, 9:59 am Yes he certainly has potential, but perhaps give it some time to see if his body is up to the task of week to week footy.
As long as he can remarkably break 5 tackles a game like the superstar Nick cotric, I think we should be onto a winner :thumbsup
Ilanraiders
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Rubenrunlikeatrainandhitlikeatruckwiki!

Post by Ilanraiders »

Groundskeeer Willie wrote: September 8, 2020, 9:55 am Are we sure we should be offering Josh papalii a lifetime contract??? It seems like an awfully big risk for a player that hasn't proven himself?
He has proven time and time again to be a match winner... currently our best player... qld and aus prop.... if anyone deserves a lifetime contract..it’s Josh Papali...IMO He deserves this contract more so then Croker.
"Learn to appreciate what you have, before time makes you appreciate what you had"!! RAIDERSTILLIDIE!!
Groundskeeer Willie
Sam Backo

Ilanraiders wrote: September 8, 2020, 10:09 am
Groundskeeer Willie wrote: September 8, 2020, 9:55 am Are we sure we should be offering Josh papalii a lifetime contract??? It seems like an awfully big risk for a player that hasn't proven himself?
He has proven time and time again to be a match winner... currently our best player... qld and aus prop.... if anyone deserves a lifetime contract..it’s Josh Papali...IMO He deserves this contract more so then Croker.
I agree 100%. I was sarcastically taking the piss out of a few people on his site mate :P
casta66
Sam Backo

Post by casta66 »

😂
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Groundskeeer Willie wrote: September 8, 2020, 10:22 am
I agree 100%. I was sarcastically taking the piss out of a few people on his site mate :P
Was there a particular post that tipped you over the edge mate? You seem like you have an awful amount of frustration and anger with almost everyone/every second post on the GH for some reason.

Also casta66 is almost certainly an alt account. There are always 4 minutes between your posts and the follow up from casta. Why?
Up The Milk
Groundskeeer Willie
Sam Backo

Mickey_Raider wrote: September 8, 2020, 10:30 am
Groundskeeer Willie wrote: September 8, 2020, 10:22 am
Was there a particular post that tipped you over the edge mate? You seem like you have an awful amount of frustration and anger with almost everyone/every second post on the GH for some reason.

Also casta66 is almost certainly an alt account. There are always 4 minutes between your posts and the follow up from casta. Why?
Nah mate not one in particular. It is more the constant flow of mind numbing stupid posts which constantly attack our players. I only get frustrated because the **** people say on here is just out of this world. Aside from attacking the players, comments such as "Georgie Williams isn't good enough" is just one example.. despite him being our best halfback by far in the last 20+ years. Another similar one would be people saying aidan **** Sezer is better than Williams. I could keep going all day with examples of the down right stupid **** people say on this forum.. And then as I mentioned above that is followed up strongly by the abuse that is hurled at our own players. But I'll just leave you with those 2 bell ringers. That should be more than enough of a sample size. Do you understand why I get frustrated now??

Ooh Mr investigator over here, I'll let you think that, despite you being so far off the mark :roflmao
casta66
Sam Backo

Post by casta66 »

Sorry for responding promptly at times, this is what happens as I work for myself.
Who would get any kicks from using 2 accounts to respond to themselves? Seriously.
I'm in Wollongong Mickey, visit me anytime for a beer.
casta66
Sam Backo

Post by casta66 »

Although I'd prefer a beer with Willie as he'd be more on my wavelength, as we are seeing. 😂
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Northern Raider wrote: September 8, 2020, 9:36 am Raised the question, where are we in regard to coach for the future. Is Sticky in for a Bellamy/Bennett type of run at one club? Does he stick around until the team's fortunes go downhill? Problem with the latter scenario is you tend to hold on too long when it occurs. End up with several failed seasons before action is taken. I'd like to believe we'll be perennial finals contenders for the next 5 years but don't think that's realistic.
I know I cop a lot of **** for this, but Bellamy had the incredible benefit of inheriting a club with Smith, Slater, Cronk and Inglis at the very beginning of their careers. That afforded him 10+ years of stability in key positions.

Stuart has had to cobble together a spine from older Pommy's and unwanted players from other clubs. He doesn't have the luxury of a decade to bring other players in and out around them. We've had a brief window and are already looking to the future. It's tough.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Seiffert82 wrote: September 8, 2020, 11:22 am
Northern Raider wrote: September 8, 2020, 9:36 am Raised the question, where are we in regard to coach for the future. Is Sticky in for a Bellamy/Bennett type of run at one club? Does he stick around until the team's fortunes go downhill? Problem with the latter scenario is you tend to hold on too long when it occurs. End up with several failed seasons before action is taken. I'd like to believe we'll be perennial finals contenders for the next 5 years but don't think that's realistic.
I know I cop a lot of **** for this, but Bellamy had the incredible benefit of inheriting a club with Smith, Slater, Cronk and Inglis at the very beginning of their careers. That afforded him 10+ years of stability in key positions.

Stuart has had to cobble together a spine from older Pommy's and unwanted players from other clubs. He doesn't have the luxury of a decade to bring other players in and out around them. We've had a brief window and are already looking to the future. It's tough.
So what do you see our coaching position being over the next 5 years?
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

My concern with a lifetime contract is how much impact he has once he's over 40.
casta66
Sam Backo

Post by casta66 »

Someone posted a great post here sometime back, about changing the message the players get. Don't always need to change head coach, but regularly change assistants.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

casta66 wrote: September 8, 2020, 11:42 am Someone posted a great post here sometime back, about changing the message the players get. Don't always need to change head coach, but regularly change assistants.
That would certainly work in an environment where assistants are active contributors to strategy and approach. Wouldn't have much effect where the head coach dictates terms and assistants are more facilitators.
Groundskeeer Willie
Sam Backo

Northern Raider wrote: September 8, 2020, 11:36 am
My concern with a lifetime contract is how much impact he has once he's over 40.
I wouldn't be concerned at all, he would probably still be scoring barnstorming match winning tries for 20 metres out
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Groundskeeer Willie wrote: September 8, 2020, 12:02 pm
Northern Raider wrote: September 8, 2020, 11:36 am
I wouldn't be concerned at all, he would probably still be scoring barnstorming match winning tries for 20 metres out
With less regularity though. Might be a cap burden when that happens.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Seiffert82 wrote:

And Frankly, you SHOULD cop a lot of **** for that, because it’s a ridiculous assertion! Bellamy didn’t just inherit a club with those four superstars, he brought them all through the juniors and MADE them who they are. Not a one of those players would’ve been who they are today without the coaching of Bellamy, it’s not the other way around

It’s simply not, and you need to stop peddling that narrative.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Yeah!

Once Bellamy loses them and Munster and Addo-Carr and Papenhuyzen and Jesse Bromwich and [insert player who hasn't debuted] he'll be nothing.

Nothing!!!!
casta66
Sam Backo

Post by casta66 »

Why all the angry talk?
Bellamy is a great coach. AGREED.
Bellamy had some amazing players who had long careers in his club. AGREED.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

The Nickman wrote: September 8, 2020, 2:17 pm
Seiffert82 wrote:

And Frankly, you SHOULD cop a lot of **** for that, because it’s a ridiculous assertion! Bellamy didn’t just inherit a club with those four superstars, he brought them all through the juniors and MADE them who they are. Not a one of those players would’ve been who they are today without the coaching of Bellamy, it’s not the other way around

It’s simply not, and you need to stop peddling that narrative.
I'm sorry, but suggesting that a coach is solely responsible for the performance of a team is ridiculous. Bellamy had immediate success with that squad. Are you seriously suggesting he could step into the Bulldogs job and have the same level of success?

That's absolute nonsense. It's like saying Phil Jackson was solely responsible for the Chicago Bulls and LA Lakers championships despite the fact It was obvious those results were clearly driven by the likes of Jordan, Pippen, Bryant and O'Neal. Doesn't mean Jackson was a passenger, it's just clear that player talent is the major determinant of results.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

afgtnk wrote: September 8, 2020, 2:28 pm Yeah!

Once Bellamy loses them and Munster and Addo-Carr and Papenhuyzen and Jesse Bromwich and [insert player who hasn't debuted] he'll be nothing.

Nothing!!!!
Hahaha never gets old
Groundskeeer Willie
Sam Backo

I'm glad the forums focus has shifted from " sack the whole raiders team" to "craig bellamy has achieved nothing". From one extreme to another, it seriously can't get any better!
Velda
Ken Nagas
Favourite Player: Terry Campese

Post by Velda »

NRL Tonight just said Papa is now expected to extend with the Raiders :)
Groundskeeer Willie
Sam Backo

Breaking news: they just said on NRL tonight on fox that papalii is set to turn down the temptation to return to Qld in a bid to remain a raider for life.
Groundskeeer Willie
Sam Backo

Velda wrote: September 8, 2020, 6:13 pm NRL Tonight just said Papa is now expected to extend with the Raiders :)
Oop sorry mate, just realised you beat me to it! At least I can't be accused of making it up now :)