Moderator: GH Moderators

Groundskeeer Willie
Sam Backo
Favourite Player: King George

Re: Papalii to become a Raider for life, set to re-sign to end 2024

Post by Groundskeeer Willie »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: September 6, 2020, 10:45 pm
Groundskeeer Willie wrote: September 6, 2020, 10:42 pm
Hong Kong Raider wrote: September 6, 2020, 10:10 pm That's what I was concerned about - contracts are not worth their paper. We hold the upper hand though, and if he does request a release, we demand a player of equal talent or two. But still it will be hard to replace the best prop in the game and the soul of the team. Hope Ricky convinces him to stay in our premiership window.
He will stay my friend. He bleeds green to the core. He definitely isn't the type to break a contract either.
Hope so mate. It's been a bad sporting weekend - Australia losing to England in the cricket T20 when they were cruising to a victory, Roosters beating us, not just that, but the way we played, Papa's injury, Parra just beating the Warriors, then this news.
Don't let it get to you too much mate. At the end of the day we really did not play that badly. 1st half was world class. 2nd half we seemed to forget what we were doing, we just rolled through the motions with no intent.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Mickey_Raider wrote: September 6, 2020, 9:22 pm
Seiffert82 wrote: September 6, 2020, 9:05 pm I think our premiership window is starting to close.
Kind of depressing when you consider that most teams' premiership window/random flash in the pan hot season culminates in at least one premiership.

Penrith 03. Bulldogs 04. Tigers 05. Manly 08, 2011. Dragons 2010. Souths 2014. Cowboys 2015. Sharks 2016.

Roosters and Storm and Broncos up until a couple of years ago windows never close.

I will really struggle if Raiders slink back into mid-lower table obscurity after such a brief crack at the top end of town.
Yeah, even when Hodgo went down I was really positive about the season. Moreso about the fact we were still in contention despite not playing great football in attack.

Unfortunately I am now quite concerned that our attack won't click at all this season. I've seen glimpses of it, but our halves have just been too inconsistent in how they play, our backline doesn't seem to be operating in any real space and I've also been completely underwhelmed with Bateman since he returned.

I still think we have the squad to do something this year, but next year is a bit of a concern, especially if Papalii leaves.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Mickey_Raider wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote: September 6, 2020, 9:05 pm I think our premiership window is starting to close.
Kind of depressing when you consider that most teams' premiership window/random flash in the pan hot season culminates in at least one premiership.

Penrith 03. Bulldogs 04. Tigers 05. Manly 08, 2011. Dragons 2010. Souths 2014. Cowboys 2015. Sharks 2016.

Roosters and Storm and Broncos up until a couple of years ago windows never close.

I will really struggle if Raiders slink back into mid-lower table obscurity after such a brief crack at the top end of town.
To be fair, the Tigers premiership “window” was more like a crack in the louvre that they slipped through.
casta66
Sam Backo
Favourite Player: Laurie

Post by casta66 »

Pretty sure this has happened before. Does anyone know where he lives? Please wrote him a letter to explain that these days, once contracts are announced, you can no longer renege 😂

Can you imagine him signing, packing his bags, and telling his agent "OK, now accept the Raiders offer."

Sorry Josh, that rule has changed.

Ah crap.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

casta66 wrote: September 7, 2020, 7:54 am Pretty sure this has happened before. Does anyone know where he lives? Please wrote him a letter to explain that these days, once contracts are announced, you can no longer renege 😂

Can you imagine him signing, packing his bags, and telling his agent "OK, now accept the Raiders offer."

Ah crap.
wot
casta66
Sam Backo

Post by casta66 »

The Nickman wrote: September 7, 2020, 10:13 am
casta66 wrote: September 7, 2020, 7:54 am Pretty sure this has happened before. Does anyone know where he lives? Please wrote him a letter to explain that these days, once contracts are announced, you can no longer renege 😂

Ah crap.
wot
Sorry too vague :)
Just a reference to his signing with Parra
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

The Nickman wrote: September 7, 2020, 6:51 am
Mickey_Raider wrote:

To be fair, the Tigers premiership “window” was more like a crack in the louvre that they slipped through.
That's why I also included "random flash in the pan, hot season".

I would say that Panthers in 2003 and Tigers in 2005 fit into that category.
Up The Milk
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Papa shouldn’t be raising the homesickness issue during late season. It’s very poor form for the club, teammates and fans.

Storm and Roosters players don’t do what Bateman and Papa have done at key points mid competition.
Toviii
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Rapana

Papalii to become a Raider for life, set to re-sign to end 2024

Post by Toviii »

Papalii mentioned his family in Queensland in an interview a couple of weeks ago. Not sure if the media is just speculating based on these comments or if there’s now more substance to it.
'I've got 17 blokes in that dressing room that are hurting'
PerthRaider86
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii - Alan Tongue

Post by PerthRaider86 »

I believe this is the bit of the interview where they got this 'Homesick' angle from

But Papalii says there are "a few little things" that need to fall the right way before a deal can be done. He wants to stay in green, but says that family in Brisbane is also an important consideration.

"Canberra's been home for me for the last 10 years," Papalii said today.

"I've still got two years left on my contract. I'm speaking to the club now about a few things. But my wife and I have to consider our parents getting a little bit older back in Brissy. Then obviously, we've got no family down here."
Perth Based Raiders Fan
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Papalii remains committed to Green Machine

Josh Papalii remains committed to Canberra's cause long term despite a Channel Seven report suggesting the 28-year-old could explore a return to the Sunshine State as a result of homesickness after over a decade with the Green Machine.

Both Raiders officials and Papalii's management have dismissed any notion of an early release being sought by the Test and Origin front-rower. No approach has been made by the Broncos or Titans to Papalii's management or the Raiders.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/09/07/rai ... ct-fronts/
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

He is gonski
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

casta66
Sam Backo

Post by casta66 »

I'll never forget my stepdad telling me "where there's smoke, there's fire." He was referencing the situation with Stuart and Clyde which I refused to believe.
Unfortunately, since then, I've struggled to find a rumour about a player leaving in which that anecdote hasn't proved true.
I so hope this is the one exception. I'm with everyone else. I'd be devo.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Papalii to become a Raider for life, set to re-sign to end 2024

Post by LastRaider »

Bateman, Cotric and now Papa. There’s a feeling that the players know something that we don’t.

Coach Fatigue? Intensity of Sticky can get to much over time
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Papa is with us for another 2yrs at least.

Are we really going to flog this to death for that long ?

Ease up on the negativity please..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Sleek the Elite
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jackie Boi

Post by Sleek the Elite »

My all-time favourite Raider was Ruben Wiki. He eventually went home after giving us his best.

Josh Papalii has done the same so I'll respect whatever decision he chooses to make. He's been magnificent for this club.

If he were to go, I'd be making the Bwoncos give us back TPJ.
Forum members with gravitas: greeneyed, Seiffert82, dubby.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

-PJ- wrote: September 7, 2020, 5:30 pm Papa is with us for another 2yrs at least.

You new here?
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

LastRaider wrote: September 7, 2020, 5:14 pm Bateman, Cotric and now Papa. There’s a feeling that the players know something that we don’t.

...or maybe Bateman wanted to go back to UK with his family and Cotric got a massive offer from Bulldogs.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Northern Raider wrote: September 7, 2020, 7:10 pm
-PJ- wrote: September 7, 2020, 5:30 pm Papa is with us for another 2yrs at least.

You new here?
I wish..
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

There's definitely a fire of some sorts here.

I don't think it's Papa wanting to be released soon to leave. He seems to loyal and humble for that.

Given his next contract will likely be his last big one, and he's now married probably with the view to have kids soon, being back with his family and earning a potentially fatter pay cheque than the one we can provide him with would make sense.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

This club is in debt to him, not the other way around.
If he wants to leave for money and family, he goes with nothing but love and appreciation from me. He's earnt the right to do whatever the **** he wants to do AFAIC
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Sleek the Elite wrote:My all-time favourite Raider was Ruben Wiki. He eventually went home after giving us his best.

Josh Papalii has done the same so I'll respect whatever decision he chooses to make. He's been magnificent for this club.

If he were to go, I'd be making the Bwoncos give us back TPJ.
That’s trading in your Rolls Royce for a Ford Falcon.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

As a car guy, calling Papa a Rolls Royce is highly offensive

He is a Bugatti Veyron
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

afgtnk wrote: September 7, 2020, 7:41 pm As a car guy, calling Papa a Rolls Royce is highly offensive

He is a Bugatti Veyron
I'm thinkin a Hummer.
Belcher#1
Gary Coyne
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Belcher#1 »

0.1% chance of papa leaving
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

LastRaider wrote: September 7, 2020, 5:14 pm Bateman, Cotric and now Papa. There’s a feeling that the players know something that we don’t.

I think that the above 3 examples are more to do with money/family reasons than coach fatigue but it is an interesting point.

Unless your name is Bellamy or have the limitless chequebook of Uncle Nick it seems like even premiership winning, successful coaches have some sort of expiration date on their tenures. Coaching fatigue is undoubtedly a thing.

Stuart is entering his 8th year as coach of Raiders next year and I doubt there will be a delivered premiership....I hope we aren't seeing the first flickers of this.
Up The Milk
Groundskeeer Willie
Sam Backo

Ah crap.
Uhhhhh? Did I miss something 🤣 he hasn't signed with anyone, you're talking like it's already been signed and sealed.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Northern Raider wrote: September 7, 2020, 7:11 pm

...or maybe Bateman wanted to go back to UK with his family and Cotric got a massive offer from Bulldogs.
This.
Sometimes people look for things that aren't there.
Groundskeeer Willie
Sam Backo

Mickey_Raider wrote: September 7, 2020, 7:53 pm

I think that the above 3 examples are more to do with money/family reasons than coach fatigue but it is an interesting point.

Unless your name is Bellamy or have the limitless chequebook of Uncle Nick it seems like even premiership winning, successful coaches have some sort of expiration date on their tenures. Coaching fatigue is undoubtedly a thing.

Stuart is entering his 8th year as coach of Raiders next year and I doubt there will be a delivered premiership....I hope we aren't seeing the first flickers of this.
8th year? Jesus Christ where has the time gone???? It literally feels like it's only been 4 years if that. This life goes by too fast, way too fast.. I will never understand.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

This is Ricky's 7th year - for 3 finals (2016, 2019 and this year). Given where we started from, the quality of our roster at that time, and the fact that he got us into a GF and prelim final, I would give him a high pass at this stage. For me 2017 - 18 were very disappointing.
casta66
Sam Backo

Post by casta66 »

Groundskeeer Willie wrote: September 7, 2020, 8:04 pm

Ah crap.
Uhhhhh? Did I miss something 🤣 he hasn't signed with anyone, you're talking like it's already been signed and sealed.
Sorry I typed that quickly and phrased it so poorly. I was trying to make a humurous remark about the time he signed with Parra. When Ricky was coaching them.
Then within the 2 week cooling off period, came back to us.

Sorry for the poor attempt at humour :(
casta66
Sam Backo

Post by casta66 »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: September 7, 2020, 9:14 pm This is Ricky's 7th year - for 3 finals (2016, 2019 and this year). Given where we started from, the quality of our roster at that time, and the fact that he got us into a GF and prelim final, I would give him a high pass at this stage. For me 2017 - 18 were very disappointing.
A high pass surely

The job of a coach goes well beyond the weekly results. Although long term of course they are a big factor.

What Ricky has done for this club will never be measured here.

Lose a few games and people will call for his head

But he has been amazing.
Groundskeeer Willie
Sam Backo

casta66 wrote: September 7, 2020, 9:31 pm
Groundskeeer Willie wrote: September 7, 2020, 8:04 pm

Ah crap.
Sorry I typed that quickly and phrased it so poorly. I was trying to make a humurous remark about the time he signed with Parra. When Ricky was coaching them.
Then within the 2 week cooling off period, came back to us.

Sorry for the poor attempt at humour :(
Oh sorry mate, I get ya. The attempt at humour was brilliant and I got that part! I remember the papalii parra saga as clear as day.. It initially left me spewing, but after some reflection it became clear to me that he was never actually going to leave and it was just a financial tactic. It just sounded like something had happened for a second there, the way you wrote it. Don't be too hard on yourself :)
Groundskeeer Willie
Sam Backo

casta66 wrote: September 7, 2020, 9:33 pm
Hong Kong Raider wrote: September 7, 2020, 9:14 pm This is Ricky's 7th year - for 3 finals (2016, 2019 and this year). Given where we started from, the quality of our roster at that time, and the fact that he got us into a GF and prelim final, I would give him a high pass at this stage. For me 2017 - 18 were very disappointing.
A high pass surely

The job of a coach goes well beyond the weekly results. Although long term of course they are a big factor.

What Ricky has done for this club will never be measured here.

Lose a few games and people will call for his head

But he has been amazing.
100% it's absolutely comical that people try to criticise him.. He has literally single handedly completely turned this club around in the most remarkable way, on and off the field. He has been a god send and if we never signed him we would still be living in the age where we constantly finish 12th-16th, with a top 8 finish every 2nd or 3rd year on the back of a late winning streak. Our roster now is on a different planet to the one we had before Ricky's arrival..