Re: Papalii to become a Raider for life, set to re-sign to end 2024

Post by Azza »

Calm down sooks. No way he will leave
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

In the off chance he does want to leave, I wouldn't begrudge him of a move. He has busted his gut for us and been our best and most consistent player over the last decade. He would be farewelled as a legend and all-time Raiders great, in similar fashion to Wiki when he left.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

I expect Broncos will offer close to $1 million per season as they need a forward pack leader. I hope he stays as he's one of our rocks.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

This could be my most important phone call yet !!
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Johno
David Furner

Post by Johno »

-PJ- wrote: September 3, 2020, 3:31 pm This could be my most important phone call yet !!
Our short term future is in your hands, I for one trust you.

(dont forget to throw in some hand cream)
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Hong Kong Raider wrote:I expect Broncos will offer close to $1 million per season as they need a forward pack leader. I hope he stays as he's one of our rocks.
Easy tiger, he's still under contract for two more years

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I wont be shocked to see Papalii end his career at a QLD club collecting a retirement cheque but i think thats at least 4 years away from being a thing.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Botman wrote:I wont be shocked to see Papalii end his career at a QLD club collecting a retirement cheque but i think thats at least 4 years away from being a thing.
I hope it’s the titans and not the broncos

That would actually be pretty cool
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Botman wrote:I wont be shocked to see Papalii end his career at a QLD club collecting a retirement cheque but i think thats at least 4 years away from being a thing.
I wouldn’t begrudge him either for it. He has served well under the green jersey
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

LastRaider wrote: September 5, 2020, 11:36 am
I wouldn’t begrudge him either for it. He has served well under the green jersey
I'd be devastated to see him in any other jersey. Just as Wiki.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

I agree GE. I wouldn't consider it betrayal in his case as he has served us so proudly for so long, but he is just one of those players that doesn't belong in any club jersey other than the lime green.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

It would really stink seeing him play for another team but yeah you couldnt begrudge him or see it as a betrayal... He's done so much for this club, if he wants to collet a fat pay cheque to end his career in QLD close to he and his wifes parents, that's fair enough
Green Beers
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: Ricky staurt

Post by Green Beers »

Apparently papa want to come home to broncos or titans according to Shane Webke on prime sports rap on the Gold Coast 😔
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Papalii in another jersey would be heartbreaking to watch, could hardly bear it
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

Chris Garry also reported on Channel 7 news. Could be for next season.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

‘Homesick’ Canberra Raiders star Josh Papalii may move back to Queensland. Two clubs are interested

Canberra enforcer Josh Papalii is reportedly considering a shock mid-contract move back home to Queensland to be closer to family. Channel 7 Queensland reports Papalii is homesick in the nation’s capital, which has been exacerbated by life inside the strict NRL bubble. Papalii is contracted to the Raiders for a further two seasons and has not yet formally requested a release.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... PXasuEJdkU
Ilanraiders
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Rubenrunlikeatrainandhitlikeatruckwiki!

Post by Ilanraiders »

Hard pill to swallow !! But if family is the reason, like Milford used that excuse then he’s going backwards as a player!!!
"Learn to appreciate what you have, before time makes you appreciate what you had"!! RAIDERSTILLIDIE!!
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

This thread title really needs changing. It's gone from "Raider for life" to "Wants a mid-contract release"
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
elviskilledkennedy
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Glenn Buttriss

Post by elviskilledkennedy »

I don't think I could even imagine Papalii in another jersey, this would break me.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I don't think there's much risk of the Raiders releasing him from his contract for the next two years, for a start.
radicalraider
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by radicalraider »

Swap for Payne
elviskilledkennedy
Gerry De La Cruz

Just a thought, could this be a classic management move to try and get the absolute maximum contract for him? Wouldn't put it past some agents to do this given it was only last week it looked like he would never leave.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Of course, that's what managers do.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

**** can we just be allowed a decent premiership window please.

If Papa left there would be no amount of sugar coating or minimising its significance. It would be devastating. He is the best prop in the game and one of the chief reasons we resemble one of the top sides in the comp.

Also (and this is probably more an indictment on the state of attack than anything else) he is one of our strike weapons in the red zone.
Up The Milk
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Seems a bit of an odd move, but to be fair, the club has a stack of young middles to accommodate, plus the signing of James.

Would open some cap space for a decent outside back.

I have to say, losing Cotric, Papalii and Bateman in one year would have a massive impact on our club...especially after loosing Leilua last season.

That's a huge rebuild job with the likes of Hodgo injured and Whitehead and Croker not getting any younger.

I think our premiership window is starting to close.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Seiffert82 wrote: September 6, 2020, 9:05 pm I think our premiership window is starting to close.
Kind of depressing when you consider that most teams' premiership window/random flash in the pan hot season culminates in at least one premiership.

Penrith 03. Bulldogs 04. Tigers 05. Manly 08, 2011. Dragons 2010. Souths 2014. Cowboys 2015. Sharks 2016.

Roosters and Storm and Broncos up until a couple of years ago windows never close.

I will really struggle if Raiders slink back into mid-lower table obscurity after such a brief crack at the top end of town.
Up The Milk
Groundskeeer Willie
Sam Backo
Favourite Player: King George

Post by Groundskeeer Willie »

Ilanraiders wrote: September 6, 2020, 8:46 pm Hard pill to swallow !! But if family is the reason, like Milford used that excuse then he’s going backwards as a player!!!
He's going backwards regardless of the situation if he signs with the **** Broncos or titans.
Groundskeeer Willie
Sam Backo

I know deep down that papalii will never leave this proud club.. if he does it will be when he is 32-34 years old.
elviskilledkennedy
Gerry De La Cruz

Groundskeeer Willie wrote: September 6, 2020, 9:28 pm I know deep down that papalii will never leave this proud club.. if he does it will be when he is 32-34 years old.
I wouldn't want him to ever leave, he could become a Sia like figure, a major mentor for future forwards.
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

Yeah I wonder where I've heard this before..

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

That's what I was concerned about - contracts are not worth their paper. We hold the upper hand though, and if he does request a release, we demand a player of equal talent or two. But still it will be hard to replace the best prop in the game and the soul of the team. Hope Ricky convinces him to stay in our premiership window.
Groundskeeer Willie
Sam Backo

Hong Kong Raider wrote: September 6, 2020, 10:10 pm That's what I was concerned about - contracts are not worth their paper. We hold the upper hand though, and if he does request a release, we demand a player of equal talent or two. But still it will be hard to replace the best prop in the game and the soul of the team. Hope Ricky convinces him to stay in our premiership window.
He will stay my friend. He bleeds green to the core. He definitely isn't the type to break a contract either.
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

Some of you blokes ridiculed me for suggesting that the broncos would be in his ear about trying to get a release. I love it how some of you are certain the club wont release him, but if he doesnt want to be at the joint and stops putting in then what choice do we have. The fact is he is the form prop in the comp at the moment and the broncos being the pretencious bunch of wankers they are know that they need an experienced middle like him to be competitive... never mind that he is on contract with another club! Ive said it many times, we are a different team when he is off the paddock. It was precisely what was missing second half last night. He goes and our current premiership window closes
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Groundskeeer Willie wrote: September 6, 2020, 10:42 pm
Hong Kong Raider wrote: September 6, 2020, 10:10 pm That's what I was concerned about - contracts are not worth their paper. We hold the upper hand though, and if he does request a release, we demand a player of equal talent or two. But still it will be hard to replace the best prop in the game and the soul of the team. Hope Ricky convinces him to stay in our premiership window.
He will stay my friend. He bleeds green to the core. He definitely isn't the type to break a contract either.
Hope so mate. It's been a bad sporting weekend - Australia losing to England in the cricket T20 when they were cruising to a victory, Roosters beating us, not just that, but the way we played, Papa's injury, Parra just beating the Warriors, then this news.
Groundskeeer Willie
Sam Backo

Hong Kong Raider wrote: September 6, 2020, 10:45 pm
Groundskeeer Willie wrote: September 6, 2020, 10:42 pm
Hope so mate. It's been a bad sporting weekend - Australia losing to England in the cricket T20 when they were cruising to a victory, Roosters beating us, not just that, but the way we played, Papa's injury, Parra just beating the Warriors, then this news.
Don't let it get to you too much mate. At the end of the day we really did not play that badly. 1st half was world class. 2nd half we seemed to forget what we were doing, we just rolled through the motions with no intent.