Post by greeneyed »

Read the story of the game: http://ow.ly/GEHe50Bai9U

Read more here: http://ow.ly/vFJ450BajQl
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Re: On this day

Post by Seiffert82 »

Hard to tell who that player is in the first photo. Is in Ron Giteau? The Raiders were pumped by Souths that day.

I remember the Manly final in 1998 quite clearly. Especially giving it to Craig Field. It was our first NRL final played at Bruce Stadium (I struggle to count the SuperLeague one the year before), so I was quite disappointed with the crowd of 16k that evening.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Seiffert82 wrote: August 29, 2020, 6:02 pm Hard to tell who that player is in the first photo. Is in Ron Giteau? The Raiders were pumped by Souths that day.
The player is Jay Hoffman, according to the record of the day. But the more I look at it, I believe it is Ron Giteau.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

greeneyed wrote: August 29, 2020, 6:17 pm
Seiffert82 wrote: August 29, 2020, 6:02 pm Hard to tell who that player is in the first photo. Is in Ron Giteau? The Raiders were pumped by Souths that day.
The player is Jay Hoffman, according to the record of the day. But the more I look at it, I believe it is Ron Giteau.
Yeah, doesn't really look like Hoffman.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Is that Brett Hetherington?

Like many others, I thought we were cactus in the prelim after Lomax was sent off.
Last edited by Seiffert82 on September 3, 2020, 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Seiffert82 wrote:Is that Brett Hetherington?

Like many others, I thought we were cactus that day after Lomax was sent off.
You’ve got it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

We finished 2nd, above Brisbane and had to play at Lang Park..

Turn it up.

Everything is coming up Donkey.

Except the result..ha.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Like many others, I thought we were cactus in the prelim after Lomax was sent off.
square up send off helped.

Was that the match seers ran down mullins

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

bonehead wrote: September 4, 2020, 7:37 am

Yes it was.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

greeneyed wrote: September 4, 2020, 8:07 am
bonehead wrote: September 4, 2020, 7:37 am

Yes it was.
It certainly was a great game. Norths were a genuine top level team right through the 90's.

94 was the last season of the top 5 finals system too.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

I thought the sin bins were in the GF Qualifier vs Norths, not week one. Then Lomax was suspended for the GF as a result.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: September 4, 2020, 9:57 am I thought the sin bins were in the GF Qualifier vs Norths, not week one. Then Lomax was suspended for the GF as a result.
That's what i thought too.
Gary Larson coat hangered Furner i think, and Lomax took retribution by dumping some poor soul on his head in a very bad spear tackle ... i was 6 at the time and last watched it when i was 8, so im probably misremembering it.
Different times though, Lomax would be put in stocks for that tackle these days :lol:
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: September 4, 2020, 9:57 am I thought the sin bins were in the GF Qualifier vs Norths, not week one. Then Lomax was suspended for the GF as a result.
Yep, the two sendoffs were in the qualifying final. It was the same finals series, so I was just remembering how that series played out.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Botman wrote: September 4, 2020, 10:58 am
That's what i thought too.
Gary Larson coat hangered Furner i think, and Lomax took retribution by dumping some poor soul on his head in a very bad spear tackle ... i was 6 at the time and last watched it when i was 8, so im probably misremembering it.
Different times though, Lomax would be put in stocks for that tackle these days :lol:
It was the other way around. Lomax got sent off first, so most of us thought the season was done. Larson got pinged not long after.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

They were send offs, not sin bins. And they were in the Preliminary Final. Seiffert82 has the right order, Lomax sent off first.

This is some fairly poor vision of the Matt Seers chase on Mullins in the Week 1 final. Chris Caruana was sin binned just after that, and the Raiders took full advantage, with Croker and Daley scoring tries.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Mullins should have scored easily there, looks like he took the foot off the pedal a bit and veered back into Seers line... if he just keep going to the outside, he scores easily. Still a hell of a chase though
Seiffert82 wrote: September 4, 2020, 11:29 am It was the other way around. Lomax got sent off first, so most of us thought the season was done. Larson got pinged not long after.
Yeah i completely got that confused... It was Lomax with a coathanger and Larson shortly after with the hideous tackle
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Botman wrote:Mullins should have scored easily there, looks like he took the foot off the pedal a bit and veered back into Seers line... if he just keep going to the outside, he scores easily. Still a hell of a chase though
Seiffert82 wrote: September 4, 2020, 11:29 am It was the other way around. Lomax got sent off first, so most of us thought the season was done. Larson got pinged not long after.
Yeah i completely got that confused... It was Lomax with a coathanger and Larson shortly after with the hideous tackle
2 of the genuinely toughest hitters of the era, Larson was unreal wish he was a raider back then.
Had a soft spot for the bears, some terrific players Florimo, Fenech, Larson, Billy Moore, Fairleigh

Edrick The Entertainer
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Yeah the bears were a good team
Florimo was one of my favourite players outside of the Raiders, really loved watching him play... pretty unlucky he was in the same era as Brad Clyde
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Botman wrote: September 4, 2020, 1:07 pm Yeah the bears were a good team
Florimo was one of my favourite players outside of the Raiders, really loved watching him play... pretty unlucky he was in the same era as Brad Clyde
He... also played most of his career at five-eighth.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

The Nickman wrote:
Billy Moops played lock

Edrick The Entertainer
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

The Nickman wrote: September 4, 2020, 3:27 pm
Again, i was 6 in 1994, so i caught the tale end of his career. I dont have much if any memory of footy beyond some games in 1993 and nothing before. And almost all of them Raiders related.

My love for RL beyond the Raiders started to grow around the SL war. 1996 was probably the first year i started consuming every game of footy i possibly could, so my memories of him were just a guy who played on the edges and was super skillful. Think he was playing a mix of backrow and centre that year. I thought as a kid he was a bit like Clyde in that respect but not as good.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Botman wrote: September 4, 2020, 6:51 pm
The Nickman wrote: September 4, 2020, 3:27 pm
Again, i was 6 in 1994, so i caught the tale end of his career. I dont have much if any memory of footy beyond some games in 1993 and nothing before. And almost all of them Raiders related.

My love for RL beyond the Raiders started to grow around the SL war. 1996 was probably the first year i started consuming every game of footy i possibly could, so my memories of him were just a guy who played on the edges and was super skillful. Think he was playing a mix of backrow and centre that year. I thought as a kid he was a bit like Clyde in that respect but not as good.
Norths had a decent side in the early 90s, with a mobile and effective pack, but lacking a bit of class in the backline compared to us and Brisbane. They made 2 prelim finals and were defeated by us - from memory one of them in 1991 when we were behind by more than 10 points. Florimo was a 5/8 or centre, made it to the 1994 Kangaroo tour from memory. Norths beat us that year at North Sydney Oval. They were a consistent side in 1991 and 1994. I'm disappointed Norths don't play in the NRL anymore.

I liked Tim Sheens' coaching in that era - freedom of expression in attack and scrum moves.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Norths were a top notch team for most of the decade from memory. Florimo, Peter Jackson, Sean Hoppe, Jason Taylor, Matt's Ears, Ikin, etc in the backs, with Moore, Fairleigh, Larson, Buettner etc up front. Solid team.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

94/95 were my formative years as a rugby league fan. I could probably name every team from memory from those seasons... couldn’t name most of the players in the other teams in the NRL this year
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

The Nickman wrote: September 4, 2020, 9:24 pm 94/95 were my formative years as a rugby league fan. I could probably name every team from memory from those seasons... couldn’t name most of the players in the other teams in the NRL this year
94 is one of my favourite years. I was living in Canberra as a student and went to some of the games. Brett Mullins, Noa and Ken Nagas gave me a lot of joy. There is no better runner than Brett Mullins in open space.

I didn't like 95 - we should have made the GF as we were the second best team all year but got beaten by Canterbury in the prelim. I was at that game at the SFS- and was next to Canterbury supporters yelling in my ear! I don't like top 8 as a result compared to pre 95 top 5 days.

I recall going to the Manly game at Bruce Stadium in 1995 with my Manly supporter mate and he was into me all game. Both teams were undefeated from the start of the comp and Ricky had one of his worst games resulting in a Hopoate intercept.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Hong Kong Raider wrote:
The Nickman wrote: September 4, 2020, 9:24 pm 94/95 were my formative years as a rugby league fan. I could probably name every team from memory from those seasons... couldn’t name most of the players in the other teams in the NRL this year
94 is one of my favourite years. I was living in Canberra as a student and went to some of the games. Brett Mullins, Noa and Ken Nagas gave me a lot of joy. There is no better runner than Brett Mullins in open space.

I didn't like 95 - we should have made the GF as we were the second best team all year but got beaten by Canterbury in the prelim. I was at that game at the SFS- and was next to Canterbury supporters yelling in my ear! I don't like top 8 as a result compared to pre 95 top 5 days.

I recall going to the Manly game at Bruce Stadium in 1995 with my Manly supporter mate and he was into me all game. Both teams were undefeated from the start of the comp and Ricky had one of his worst games resulting in a Hopoate intercept.
Yeah, the only games we lost that year were that manly game, that bulldogs game (you’re a jinx!) and one other game against the sharks I believe

Us and manly were far and away the best two teams that year... neither of us won
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

I remember this match. End to end attack and use of backlines by both sides. I loved the try by Mark Bell running 3/4 of the field from a scrum move. Great speed.
greeneyed
Don Furner

On this day

Post by greeneyed »

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

On this day

Post by The Nickman »

That was the first time I ever met you, Ferg. You picked me up in your car and you took this photo...

zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

No hover hands here boys.