NFL Thread

From cricket to motor sports to wrestling and anything in between

Moderator: GH Moderators

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: NFL Thread

Post by Northern Raider »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: August 8, 2020, 2:43 pm Thought this would be the best place to ask. Either here or Video Game thread.

So I’m doing a Madden Franchise with the Dolphins. Coming up to the first draft, and working to get the Cap balance right.

Is there an NFL equivalent of the NRL spine? That is, what positions should I spend the cap on, and what positions can be managed by cheapies?
I can speak from a real game perspective but not the electronic type. QB is the obvious one. A gun pass rusher is gold. Flip side of that a stud left tackle. Top shelf WR doesn't hurt. Shut down CB to match. Those guys tend to command the highest $$.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Yeah NR pretty much nailed it.
If you built a "spine" in the NFL it would be QB, LT, Pass rusher, pass catcher (elite TE like Kittle, Kelce or Ertz fit the bill) and top end CB are the spine

RB, interior DL (so defensive tackles), and LB can all be gotten cheaply

If i were doing it, i'd spent good money on QB, LT, C, WR/TE, DE, CB and maybe if the price was right id be willing to spend for for a FS.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

NFL Thread

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Sweet thanks guys!
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Cowboys just signed Everson Griffen.
At 32 he is a little long in the tooth for a footballer, but he is quality.
He and McCoy should give us so really good vet experience on that DL.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Interesting signing... apparently his pressure and hurry rate was impressive last year and he just didnt get the sacks... I cant say im worried about him in the division though

Im fascinated to see what happens with this NFL schedule... there is a huge revenue drop off expected for the NFL this year and there is discussions going on about how the handle the cap. At present it looks like next year will be a huge cap drop, which will be chaos for a lot teams

BUUUUT college football is on the verge of collapse, some conferences are still trying to press forward, others are already out... and it's potentially freed up Saturday scheduling for the NFL (there is a gentleman's agreement along with an anti-siphoning exemption that says the NFL dont play in time slots that clash with college or high school football)

If they can work out a deal with some networks for Saturday and perhaps even Friday night scheduling for this upcoming season to fill the void of College/HS football which is struggling to figure out how to make it go... it's unlikely but it's possible the NFL could again come out of this **** smelling like roses and actually retain similar levels of revenue where the cap could stay stagnate rather than take a huge dip

The eagles and cowboys in particular will be watching this closely... should the cap drop both these teams have some troubles ahead...
The eagles have some really easy moves to make, they can restructure Wentz, cut Malik and DeSean Jackson as well as Alshon Jeffery, all moves they'd probably make without a huge cap drop, and this would create about 48mil in space...they'd have to do more if the cap goes down to 170m as some have speculated.

For Dallas, they've got 30mil in space right now, but thats on the current cap, estimated at 215mil ish and without Dak on the books... not a lot of easy cuts there
If they get Dak on a long term deal, they're going to have some problems making that work without losing at least 1-2 pretty major pieces
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Was talking a US college a couple of weeks ago. We're usually 15 mins business then 45 mins football on our calls. We both agreed College Football had zero chance of going ahead this season. What that means for the draft in 2021 who knows. Teams may have to pick based on 18 month old performances. Some players looking to rise may want to defer a year of college and ensure they play another season before going pro.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Griffen is a high motor all effort guy. Like DLaw last yr, the sacks weren't there, but effort is never in question.
He knows Nolan's defensive scheme.
A 10yr all pro guy.
Means we can gamble on Smith and Gregory now, as they are change ups nots starters.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: August 13, 2020, 3:57 pm Was talking a US college a couple of weeks ago. We're usually 15 mins business then 45 mins football on our calls. We both agreed College Football had zero chance of going ahead this season. What that means for the draft in 2021 who knows. Teams may have to pick based on 18 month old performances. Some players looking to rise may want to defer a year of college and ensure they play another season before going pro.
Yep, going to be interesting.
Wonder if it might be a 4 or 5 Rd draft rather than 7
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Northern Raider wrote: August 13, 2020, 3:57 pm Was talking a US college a couple of weeks ago. We're usually 15 mins business then 45 mins football on our calls. We both agreed College Football had zero chance of going ahead this season. What that means for the draft in 2021 who knows. Teams may have to pick based on 18 month old performances. Some players looking to rise may want to defer a year of college and ensure they play another season before going pro.
Yep, it's really hard to see how they put together a college football season, too many cooks in the kitchen, too many agendas, too many stakeholders who have want different things.

The NFL is easy, everyone is lead by the owners and commissioner who are all rowing the same direction. That's why im fairly certain we'll see a start to the season at least.

Yeah i think it'll be interesting to see how that plays out re: the draft
Wont change anything at the top of the draft, the guys slated to be top 50-100 picks will still come out i think... The Trevor Lawrence's of the world aren't going back to improve their draft stock :lol: but there might be a bunch of guys who end up going back another year looking to see if they can move from a day 3 to day 2 pick.

What we wont see is the fast rising stud like Joe Burrow, Kyler Murray or Baker Mayfield... all #1 picks who the season prior were not in the frame for that spot... Trey Lance was looming as that guy a little bit, so i'll be keen to keep and eye on his draft stock as the year goes on
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Re: College season. Think the politics are the last thing holding it back. With so many moving parts it's simply not practical. One of the factors is the players are students and need to be attending college. Makes it hard to go into a 'bubble' like the pros.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

I see Earl Thomas is up to his old tricks again.
Cowboys might be able to get him on the cheap now
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

They have also restructured Tyron Smith to add 7mill to the cap, by giving him an extra yr. This is a move to give Dak his money for next yr.

I bet there are a couple more of these sort of deals coming too.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Matt wrote: August 24, 2020, 11:30 am I see Earl Thomas is up to his old tricks again.
Cowboys might be able to get him on the cheap now
I hope so. Earl isn't what he once was, not by a long shot
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Matt wrote: August 24, 2020, 11:34 am They have also restructured Tyron Smith to add 7mill to the cap, by giving him an extra yr. This is a move to give Dak his money for next yr.

They restructure him every year, its created space this year, but they cant really use that for Dak. Might be a preemptive move for Thomas though
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: August 24, 2020, 1:37 pm
Matt wrote: August 24, 2020, 11:34 am They have also restructured Tyron Smith to add 7mill to the cap, by giving him an extra yr. This is a move to give Dak his money for next yr.

They restructure him every year, its created space this year, but they cant really use that for Dak. Might be a preemptive move for Thomas though
any left over cap this yr can be rolled into next yr with the covid rules apparently
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Matt wrote: August 24, 2020, 3:43 pm

any left over cap this yr can be rolled into next yr with the covid rules apparently
They can always roll over cap space, it maybe they are anticipating a cap decline so they're trying to get as much as possible to roll over to accommodate the Dak deal, but i think Jerreh is thinking this year is his chance at another ring... i think they'll make a win now move
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: August 24, 2020, 4:00 pm
Matt wrote: August 24, 2020, 3:43 pm

They can always roll over cap space, it maybe they are anticipating a cap decline so they're trying to get as much as possible to roll over to accommodate the Dak deal, but i think Jerreh is thinking this year is his chance at another ring... i think they'll make a win now move
Very possible
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Every god damn year with the eagles
Now Dillard hitting IR, we’ve got peters so back to just needing a RG, but it was a chance to see if Dillard is the future with a nice security plan

For one **** year I’d like to see the eagles actually stay relatively healthy
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: August 28, 2020, 7:25 am Every god damn year with the eagles
Now Dillard hitting IR, we’ve got peters so back to just needing a RG, but it was a chance to see if Dillard is the future with a nice security plan

For one **** year I’d like to see the eagles actually stay relatively healthy
unlucky
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Grant Delpit tore his achillies. Gone for the yr. https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/brow ... er-report/

Xavier McKinney broken foot (lost ILB Mayo too, torn meniscus). https://www.si.com/nfl/giants/news/what ... eys-injury

And so it begins...
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Jagz wave Fournette. That's a fall from grace. From high draft pick to considered only worthy of being a bloke on the street
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

interesting to see where he lands... he cleared waivers. Think he'll have to wait for an RB injury before he gets picked up. I wont be stunned if the eagles have a look, be it LeGarry Blount or Jordan Howard, they do tend to value a big body thumper to be part of a rotation at the right price
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: September 2, 2020, 9:20 pm interesting to see where he lands... he cleared waivers. Think he'll have to wait for an RB injury before he gets picked up. I wont be stunned if the eagles have a look, be it LeGarry Blount or Jordan Howard, they do tend to value a big body thumper to be part of a rotation at the right price
I reckon there will be a few teams looking at him post wk 1, after 53 (55? with the extra linemen) man cuts and initial cap stuff gets started.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Surprised nobody took a flyer on him off waivers. His salary is going to take a big hit now.

Disrupted preseason means nobody has had the chance to properly assess their own RB stocks. As such they've not been willing to add somebody else into the mix at this stage. A week or two into the season and he'll be called upon by a team in need. If not before that.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Didnt last long.
Fournette is a Bucc
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

interesting landing spot
BA is known for being a total lying **** bag about his RB situation and he's been talking up Ronald Bust Jones, but i dont see how he fits that offence...

And on that note the Bucs are one of the teams im most keen to see... BA and Tom dont mesh stylistically, BA throws deep early, often and conisently, TB cant throw deep anymore (i dont think? we'll see!)
But this is arguably the best skill group Brady's ever had, and what is Gronk in 2020? BA's offence has never championed the TE position.

So many interesting questions about that team and im really interested to see how it goes. I could see them being an 11-5 team or 7-9. Wild vaiance.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Looks like we cut Ha Ha
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

@Northern Raider,
Umm... releasing Rosen... ****?!? I know u have Tua, but surely a trade, not catch and release?!?
PrimetimeRaider
Jason Croker

Post by PrimetimeRaider »

Oh hey I'm back, which can only mean another key Chargers player is out injured! Sick of this **** every year lol.

Surely they'll pick up Derwin's option on his contract, but if he's injured again next season, some other team will pick him up and he'll be healthy for 5-8 years no doubt :/

At least they managed to re-sign Bosa, I guess. But with Tyrod Taylor at QB, we could be in for a long season...
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Haha when i heard about the James injury i immediately thought "poor Primetime... he's right, they are cursed"
:lol:
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Matt wrote: September 5, 2020, 10:44 am @Northern Raider,
Umm... releasing Rosen... ****?!? I know u have Tua, but surely a trade, not catch and release?!?
I think im the only one left holding Josh Rosen stock... id like to see the eagles take him on and have him work with our staff for a few years and see where that takes him
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Botman wrote: September 6, 2020, 10:06 am
Matt wrote: September 5, 2020, 10:44 am @Northern Raider,
I think im the only one left holding Josh Rosen stock... id like to see the eagles take him on and have him work with our staff for a few years and see where that takes him
I'm a bit surprised as I didn't think there was much risk in keeping him on as 3rd QB. Obviously they didn't want to keep 3 on the roster so that's the outcome. Wouldn't be a bad pickup for team willing to work on his development. Maybe a team where their back up QB is near the end of their career.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Von Miller might have a season ending ankle injury. Getting scans
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Alright, lets get all our dart throws on record boys...

2020 NFL Predictions

NFC E: Eagles
NFC N: Vikings
NFC S: Saints
NFC W: Niners
NFC Wildcards: Cowboys, Packers, Bucs
NFC Championship Game: Niners @ Saints

AFC E: Patriors
AFC N: Steelers
AFC S: Colts
AFC W: Chiefs
AFC Wildcards: Ravens, Bills and Texans
AFC Championship Game: Colts @ Chiefs

SB Game: Chiefs vs Saints
SB Winner: Chiefs
SB MVP: Pat Mahomes

Most Passing Yards: Dak Prescott
Most Rushing Yards: Joe Mixon
Most Receiving Yards: Juju Smith-Schuster
Most Sacks: Miles Garrett
Most Tackles: Jordan Hicks
Most Interceptions: Minkah Fitzpatrick

Off ROTY: Joe Burrow
Def ROTY: Chase Young
Off POTY: Julio Jones
Def POTY: Miles Garrett
Comeback POTY: Alex Smith
NFL MVP: Pat Mahomes

Bold Prediction 1: Full 16 game schedule and post season will happen without COVID related delay or pause
Bold Prediction 2: Le'Veon Bell will be traded mid-season
Bold Prediction 3: There will not be a coach sacked in season this year
Bold Prediction 4: Tua will make his first NFL start in week 12 against the New York Jets, Justin Herbert in week 8 against the Jags. Both will win.
Bold Prediction 5: The Jags will have the first pick in the 2021 NFL draft.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

2020 NFL Predictions

NFC E: Cowboys
NFC N: Vikings
NFC S: Saints
NFC W: Niners
NFC Wildcards: Eagles, Packers, Bucs
NFC Championship Game: Cowboys @ Saints

AFC E: Patriots
AFC N: Ravens
AFC S: Texans
AFC W: Chiefs
AFC Wildcards: Steelers, Bills and Colts
AFC Championship Game: Texans @ Chiefs

SB Game: Chiefs vs Saints
SB Winner: Chiefs
SB MVP: Pat Mahomes

Most Passing Yards: Dak Prescott (3x 1000yd receivers baby!)
Most Rushing Yards: Dalvin Cook
Most Receiving Yards: Micheal Thomas
Most Sacks: The Bosa Boys (1 and 3, Garrett to split them)
Most Tackles: Christian Kirksey (I like Jordan Hicks, but decided to pick someone else)
Most Interceptions: Tre'Davious White (Again, I like Minkah Fitzpatrick, so picked another player)

Off ROTY: Joe Burrow
Def ROTY: Jeff Okudah
Off POTY: Micheal Thomas
Def POTY: Bosa Boys
Comeback POTY: Aldon Smith (you spelt it wrong :lol: )
NFL MVP: Pat Mahomes

Bold Prediction 1: 2 teams will have significant COVID related issues (either rife in a team, OR, stud player gets it)
Bold Prediction 2: Earl Thomas WONT be a Cowboy
Bold Prediction 3: Gronk will only play red zone downs, thus his catch to TD ratio will be above 0.500 (There will not be a coach sacked in season this year <<< I agree with this, but will add an extra)
Bold Prediction 4: Cam Newton will start every game as a Pat
Bold Prediction 5: The 'once were Skins' will have the first pick in the 2021 NFL draft.