The Television Thread

Discuss music, movies, TV shows and video games

Moderator: GH Moderators

rolhai
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Shaun Fensom

Re: The Television Thread

Post by rolhai »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:Just finished both seasons of Umbrella Academy on Netflix. It’s a good “Superhero” series, but not really superheroy... I’d compare it to a better Watchmen

Definitely worth the watch, and push through. The characters really come into their own from about episode 9 of the first season, and season 2 they’re in full swing.
Yeah, just watched the last episode. Good fun

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

1985/86: The last time we missed consecutive finals series.....Until STICKY
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Binged Season 1 of Russian Dolls yesterday. It’s an easy watch, 8x20 min episodes. The shows really good, a bit of a spin on the Groundhog Day idea, except the loop happens each time she dies. Worth the watch
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: August 17, 2020, 6:25 am Binged Season 1 of Russian Dolls yesterday. It’s an easy watch, 8x20 min episodes. The shows really good, a bit of a spin on the Groundhog Day idea, except the loop happens each time she dies. Worth the watch
My wife and i were on that one early and it was really good. Fun show i thought

We just finished Stranger Things last night, which was not our usual sort of show but it got us in
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Botman wrote: August 17, 2020, 8:06 pm
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: August 17, 2020, 6:25 am Binged Season 1 of Russian Dolls yesterday. It’s an easy watch, 8x20 min episodes. The shows really good, a bit of a spin on the Groundhog Day idea, except the loop happens each time she dies. Worth the watch
My wife and i were on that one early and it was really good. Fun show i thought

We just finished Stranger Things last night, which was not our usual sort of show but it got us in
Is there a new season?
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

No. We're just WAAAAAAAAAAAAY behind
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Botman wrote: August 17, 2020, 9:41 pm No. We're just WAAAAAAAAAAAAY behind
It’s run out of steam in my view. They should finish up now.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

The Television Thread

Yeah I agree. I felt the last season was 1 too many. Starting to go down the Prison Break road now. It should have ended after Season 2.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Yeah it got a little silly towards the end there, the first 2 seasons were really good... season 3 eh..
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Yep. Stranger Things jumped the shark in season 3. Time for a new project.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Anyone watch The Boys on Amazon? That is a great show. Karl Urban has won me over in that one.
Jenson Ackles from Supernatural fame has announced he's joining the show for Season 3, which Im excited about. Pretty big Supernatural fan, so I'm looking forward to seeing him there, and Jared in the Walker Texas Ranger reboot. My assumption is the Walker reboot will be less cheesy than the original, since it won't be with Chuck

Nickman's love of NSW
Brewdle
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Love em all

Post by Brewdle »

The Boys was great, season 2 in about a week. Highly recommend Lovecraft Country on Fox if episode 1 is anything to go by.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

The Boys is excellent. With so many Superhero shows around this was a brilliant twist on the genre. Looking forward to season 2.

Just have to get through the last season of Dark first.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Northern Raider wrote: August 18, 2020, 8:56 am The Boys is excellent. With so many Superhero shows around this was a brilliant twist on the genre. Looking forward to season 2.

Just have to get through the last season of Dark first.
Yeah I agree. It's a really refreshing take on the genre. Im assuming Ackles will be playing one of The Boys. That would suit him more.

Nickman's love of NSW
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Have watched "Hamilton" quite a number of times now on Disney+.

It is an amazing piece of theatre, an amazing musical... it goes beyond that. If you haven't watched it, you must. It might be discordant the first time you watch it... stick with it. Watch it again. It sticks with you.

I love some of the lines...

"There’s a million things I haven’t done
But just you wait, just you wait" - Hamilton

"Dying is easy young man, living is harder." - Washington

"I’m just like my country
I’m young, scrappy, and hungry
And I’m not throwing away my shot
'Till the world turns upside down" - Hamilton

"Raise a glass to freedom
Something they can never take away."

"Look around, look around at how
Lucky we are to be alive right now."

"Cause when push comes to shove
I will kill your friends and family to remind you of my love." – King George

"History has its eyes on you." - Washington

"Rise up."
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

So, Masked Singer. Who’s watching it?

Nickman's love of NSW
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:So, Masked Singer. Who’s watching it?
Block

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

bonehead wrote: August 24, 2020, 8:09 pm
Block

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Oh don't be like that Boner. Come join the Masked Singer brigade. I can't figure out who the hell the Puppet is. I have a bit of an idea on everyone else

Nickman's love of NSW
hrundi89
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by hrundi89 »

the bone wrote: July 28, 2020, 10:30 am Anyone seen Dark on Netflix? Excellent German show about a boy that goes missing in similar circumstances to a disappearance 33 years ago. If you do watch it, put the phone down, laptop away, and kids in bed... you’ll need to concentrate to follow this one.
Just finished the series. Great show.

At times it all gets a bit confusing but it's so well done (music, cinematography etc) that you're happy to go along for the ride.
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.
hrundi89
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by hrundi89 »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: August 11, 2020, 6:42 am Just finished both seasons of Umbrella Academy on Netflix. It’s a good “Superhero” series, but not really superheroy... I’d compare it to a better Watchmen

Definitely worth the watch, and push through. The characters really come into their own from about episode 9 of the first season, and season 2 they’re in full swing.
I thought Watchmen was fantastic, as a fan of the graphic novel.
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Yeah I remember not enjoying the movie as much as I wanted to, but I’ve heard better things of the series.

TBF I went into that movie relatively cold and knew nothing about it. The benefit of age might change my opinion

Nickman's love of NSW
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

I started Watchmen expecting it to be right up my alley, got bored and stopped halfway in and never bothered to finish it. That’s unusual for me.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I have just finished season five of "Schitt's Creek". Had never really paid attention to it... now I'm sorry I'm about to watch the final series. Finished too soon.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

greeneyed wrote:I have just finished season five of "Schitt's Creek". Had never really paid attention to it... now I'm sorry I'm about to watch the final series. Finished too soon.
I loved it. I thought the first season was a bit silly, but once the characters started getting developed it got really good. I was sad when it ended.

David and Patrick are one of the best couples on TV. Up there with Jim and Pam from The Office

Nickman's love of NSW
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Count me in on this one Fui. Although I’m not really confident on any of them except the Queen.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

gangrenous wrote:
Count me in on this one Fui. Although I’m not really confident on any of them except the Queen.
I have some I’m confident on
Kitten: Julia Morris
Frilled Neck: Eddie Perfect
Cactus: Lucy Durak
Queen: Kate Miller Heidke

Taking punts on
Bush ranger: Jess Mauboy

No idea
Puppet

Nickman's love of NSW
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: August 26, 2020, 7:20 pm
greeneyed wrote:I have just finished season five of "Schitt's Creek". Had never really paid attention to it... now I'm sorry I'm about to watch the final series. Finished too soon.
I loved it. I thought the first season was a bit silly, but once the characters started getting developed it got really good. I was sad when it ended.

David and Patrick are one of the best couples on TV. Up there with Jim and Pam from The Office
They weren’t quite confident of what they were doing initially. Or maybe they were, maybe they knew where it was going. I’ve only got seven episodes left, love the show. I guess I will be watching it again. I was about to single out Eugene Levy and Catherine O’Hara, but that’d be unfair. They’re all perfect in their characters. It’s silly right through, but brilliantly silly and touches an emotional chord all at the same time. Great show.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

My wife binge watched the Schitt out of that show on Fri-Sat nights when i was watching footy, but i caught large parts of it during games i was just mildly paying attention too and then once the slate finished up. Its a real good show... Eugene and Dan Levy are absolutely fantastic in it

This might be hyperbolic, but does any actor play a specific type of role better then Eugene Levy plays the weird, awkward and inappropriate Dad?
DeNiro/Pesci/Brando as Mobsters come to mind but Levy just nails that awkward Dad role as a perfect 10/10 every damn time :lol:
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Botman wrote: August 27, 2020, 8:49 am My wife binge watched the Schitt out of that show on Fri-Sat nights when i was watching footy, but i caught large parts of it during games i was just mildly paying attention too and then once the slate finished up. Its a real good show... Eugene and Dan Levy are absolutely fantastic in it

This might be hyperbolic, but does any actor play a specific type of role better then Eugene Levy plays the weird, awkward and inappropriate Dad?
DeNiro/Pesci/Brando as Mobsters come to mind but Levy just nails that awkward Dad role as a perfect 10/10 every damn time :lol:
Yeah Eugene knows his role and nails it perfectly everytime. When I read your question, Bill Hunter playing a knockabout aussie came to mind, but not really. There was a time where you couldn't make an Aussie film without Bill Hunter

So with the final season of Supernatural about to break, the Fui household have committed to watching every ep from Season 1 through. By the time that's finished, the final season should be ready for streaming. 40min eps, 20 odd eps a season, 15 seasons. It's going to take a while

Nickman's love of NSW
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Eugene Levy is hilarious in every role he’s ever in.

His two left feet role in Best in Show. Sheer genius.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: August 26, 2020, 10:41 pm
Im pretty confident on those too, i also picked the **** early on... the rest i've not even know who they **** are once revealed!
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Botman wrote: August 27, 2020, 10:35 am
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: August 26, 2020, 10:41 pm
Im pretty confident on those too, i also picked the **** early on... the rest i've not even know who they **** are once revealed!
Looking forward to a Masked Singer version of WTFITC!
Katie Noonan surprised me. Sloth did not sound like Katie Noonan.

Nickman's love of NSW
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

That's literally half the show!

I had no idea who Katie Noonan is, though the name was familiar somehow... my wife texted her sister and they made snarky remarks about me the next hour or so
Isaiah Firebrace... i still dont know who the **** that **** is
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Have any of you guys seen the series Little Fires Everywhere? We just finished it, my god, one of the best written dramas I've watched in a long, long time
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

The Television Thread

My main beef with Masked Singer is there’s too many professional singers on it this season. I want more randoms where you just go “Mate, **** are you on this show?”

We need Sam Pang and Glenn Robbins on it next year. Also surprised Angie Kent’s not on it. She’s been on every other show

Nickman's love of NSW
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: August 27, 2020, 4:12 pm My main beef with Masked Singer is there’s too many professional singers on it this season. I want more randoms where you just go “Mate, **** are you on this show?”

We need Sam Pang and Glenn Robbins on it next year. Also surprised Angie Kent’s not on it. She’s been on every other show
There's been more than one season?