Jordan Rapana set to sign new two year Canberra Raiders deal

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Beejay
John Ferguson

Re: Canberra Raiders look to open contract talks with Jordan Rapana

Post by Beejay »

If I'm picking my team for a grand final game, there's only about 3 wingers in the NRL I would even consider putting in the team in front of him.
He's loudly declaring he wants to be here, so it won't be about money.
There's so much about this bloke that doesn't have to rely on speed. He's still easily Top10 Wingers in the comp, and he'll still be an excellent winger when he retires in 2 years.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

zim wrote: August 20, 2020, 1:34 pm It really isn't as big a deal that he is no longer the player he once was because he's no longer on the salary he once was. His role has changed.
That's what I mean when I say, "when weighing up his role in the squad". I think he almost fills the Oldy role (slightly higher pay but 220k? 250k?) next season if the kids or recruits are good enough to push him out, or if not he keeps his spot and we have an experienced, perfectly serviceable FG winger with some great off the park benefits.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

His knee wasn't right for much of last season and he clearly had an ordinary preseason in Japan.

His lack of opportunities with the ball this season reflect the issues we've had with ball handling and our poor distribution from the halves. Hopefully that improves sooner rather than later.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Possessions per game:

Rapana 20.36
Cotric 14.28
Simonsson 12.43

Runs per game:

Rapana 14.18
Cotric 11.71
Simonsson 11.28

Errors per game:

Rapana 1.27
Cotric 0.64
Simonsson 1

Should start following this guy around and fact check all the bs he claims.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Seiffert82 wrote: August 20, 2020, 7:08 pm His knee wasn't right for much of last season and he clearly had an ordinary preseason in Japan.

His lack of opportunities with the ball this season reflect the issues we've had with ball handling and our poor distribution from the halves. Hopefully that improves sooner rather than later.
Yeah ok. But like I said. Waiting for a 31 year old winger to regain the verve he last showed two seasons ago is not likely to pay dividends a third year down the track.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

afgtnk wrote: August 20, 2020, 7:34 pm Possessions per game:

Rapana 20.36
Cotric 14.28
Simonsson 12.43

Runs per game:

Rapana 14.18
Cotric 11.71
Simonsson 11.28

Errors per game:

Rapana 1.27
Cotric 0.64
Simonsson 1

That'd possibly all come back more into line if you disregard the one outlier game Raps played at FB in the driving rain where he racked up 4 errors and a million possessions in a very scrappy game. Where imo he proved a bit too crazy for FB but was also instrumental in gutsing out a win. Jordy in a nutshell.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

BadnMean wrote: August 20, 2020, 7:58 pm

Rapana 20.36
Cotric 14.28
Simonsson 12.43

Runs per game:

Rapana 14.18
Cotric 11.71
Simonsson 11.28

Errors per game:

Rapana 1.27
Cotric 0.64
Simonsson 1

That'd possibly all come back more into line if you disregard the one outlier game Raps played at FB in the driving rain where he racked up 4 errors and a million possessions in a very scrappy game. Where imo he proved a bit too crazy for FB but was also instrumental in gutsing out a win. Jordy in a nutshell.
Could, but then you also have to factor in he's had two games off the bench for a total of 38 minutes, which I daresay would probably outweigh that stint at fullback (v playing wing) and skew it even higher possession wise if he played full minutes.
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

Anyone who watches the Raiders would know that Rapana will never have low possession numbers.
Even if the entire game was played on the opposite side of the field he’d find a way to have his share of carries.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

He's lost a yard of pace, and can give away some penalties, but I would still sign him for one more year. We need the depth. Perhaps swap him and Cotric on the other side of the field, Cotric found it difficult dealing with those grubbers on that angle (Crichton, Farnworth and Sami tries as an example) and Raps has found it difficult scoring in the corner - these all count in the semis
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Tbh we could do worse then pick up the Morris brothers if they want to go around again.

Can’t see them moving to Canberra at there age though.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Rapana 20.36
Cotric 14.28
Simonsson 12.43

Runs per game:

Rapana 14.18
Cotric 11.71
Simonsson 11.28

Errors per game:

Rapana 1.27
Cotric 0.64
Simonsson 1

Those stats don't really paint Simonsson in a good light. Im not phased by Rapana, you have more possessions and runs, you're bound to have more errors. You also have to consider outliers like his game at FB. You'd need to whack Cotric into FB in a wet match to try and better compare apples with apples.

Considering he came into the side late, with no pre-season and he's punching out those numbers, that's impressive
Last edited by FuiFui BradBrad on August 25, 2020, 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

Simmonson is a very interesting one in my opinion. I’m not sure what to make of him.

Positives:
Seems a good finisher
Good under the high ball
Solid in D

Unsure/Possible Negatives?:
Pace. Is he fast? I’m yet to be convinced
Powerful returning kicks, starting sets??
Game breaker?

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Dusty wrote: August 25, 2020, 9:35 am Simmonson is a very interesting one in my opinion. I’m not sure what to make of him.

Positives:
Seems a good finisher
Good under the high ball
Solid in D

Unsure/Possible Negatives?:
Pace. Is he fast? I’m yet to be convinced
Powerful returning kicks, starting sets??
Game breaker?
Pace: they rarely report on them (except for Papa's) but I did read a story last season- typical stuff about the leagues flyers/who is the quickest etc and I think Simo came up as our quickest GPS at that stage of the season. Gist of it was he's not quite in the top handful in the comp but he's quick enough, he'd add some pace to our team compared to our other backs.

I think it is just that he doesn't have the knack of getting himself into space or perhaps lacks the deception or whatever to be using his pace to it's fullest so far.

Powerful: no he's not really. He's just average for an NRL back I guess. Doesn't get monstered often but nothing special.

Game breaker: not on a regular basis, no. He's capable of some good things that can help you win a game but he won't win you one by himself. That's 2016/17 Rapana or Maka Sivo at his best territory. Simo could be a very capable wing option in FG.
Maybe there is more to come. But so far, he's just solid. I wouldn't complain if he's in the back 5 but he's not a "needle mover" to use a phrase I see around here sometimes.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

He's on the wrong side of the field, clearly finishes better on the right.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

The Nickman wrote: August 25, 2020, 2:28 pm He's on the wrong side of the field, clearly finishes better on the right.
Yeah right.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Coastalraider wrote: August 25, 2020, 2:35 pm
The Nickman wrote: August 25, 2020, 2:28 pm He's on the wrong side of the field, clearly finishes better on the right.
Yeah right.
Sharrup, you.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Canberra Raiders keen to lock in veterans Soliola and Rapana

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders keen to lock in veterans Soliola and Rapana

The Canberra Raiders will ramp up negotiations with off-contract stars Jordan Rapana and Sia Soliola following Wednesday's proposal by the NRL to keep squad sizes at 30 players in 2021.

"First priority will be resign Jordan and Sia," Peter Mulholland said. "We've been waiting on this, to know what the cap is and to know what the numbers are. We're just holding on with him and Sia until we get the gazetted figures and so forth.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

If we lose Oldy, I can see having Rapana on a similar low dollar deal. Otherwise I think it's a poor move- nostalgia on a winger already past his prime for another season too long. Won't be a popular opinion but he's been missing more chances than he scores from within the red zone and doesn't have the pace to threaten from range. Yards-wise he's an average NRL winger, no better, no worse. Used to be great though.

Sia- fair enough we didn't see much of him this year but what we did see was business as usual. Solid FG.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Rappa for 2021 is always dependent on the price. Ideally you have 2 first choice wingers given a chance ahead of him and he either spends time on the bench or filling in when there's an injury. Really up to our other guys to keep him out of the side. If the price is right he's the ideal depth guy. Huge for team culture. Hungry as. Knows his role.
Colk
Dean Lance

Post by Colk »

BadnMean wrote: September 10, 2020, 9:29 pm If we lose Oldy, I can see having Rapana on a similar low dollar deal. Otherwise I think it's a poor move- nostalgia on a winger already past his prime for another season too long. Won't be a popular opinion but he's been missing more chances than he scores from within the red zone and doesn't have the pace to threaten from range. Yards-wise he's an average NRL winger, no better, no worse. Used to be great though.

Sia- fair enough we didn't see much of him this year but what we did see was business as usual. Solid FG.
Seriously people questioning re-signing Rapana are counting on who playing wing next year? There are a lot of backs that are available to sign next year and we outside of him one first grade standard winger.

Soliola - keep him on the coaching staff but we have about 8 or 9 prop/locks already on our books next year
Colk
Dean Lance

Post by Colk »

Sorry there are not a lot of backs available
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

I think its fair to say rapa isnt the player he was a couple of years ago. Agree he has also blown a few chances of late, but i think he is still solid enough to demand a first grade spot each week. Plus he is an incredible team man. I for one would be really disappointed to see him move on. With the depth we have with middles, id kinda be ok if sia joined to coaching/support staff. I just cannot see how we keep blokes like sutton, young snd lui interested if they are playing reggies each week
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Colk wrote: September 10, 2020, 10:14 pm
BadnMean wrote: September 10, 2020, 9:29 pm If we lose Oldy, I can see having Rapana on a similar low dollar deal. Otherwise I think it's a poor move- nostalgia on a winger already past his prime for another season too long. Won't be a popular opinion but he's been missing more chances than he scores from within the red zone and doesn't have the pace to threaten from range. Yards-wise he's an average NRL winger, no better, no worse. Used to be great though.

Seriously people questioning re-signing Rapana are counting on who playing wing next year? There are a lot of backs that are available to sign next year and we outside of him one first grade standard winger.
We have Simonsen who is also a solid FG winger and who isn't on a serious 2 year decline, is also faster.

Then we have the rookies seen this season.

Then I have suggested we recruit.

That seems pretty clear and reasonable. I don't think the idea that we keep an underperforming, older outside back on the books just because we think the sky will fall and we can't buy anyone is a good move. Just my thinking.

It's been 2 years since he was good. It began with just a loss of pace in the clear. Then the breaks dried up. Now he misses more than he finishes from chances in the 20m zone. It's a bum steer mate.
Last edited by BadnMean on September 11, 2020, 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Colk
Dean Lance

Post by Colk »

BadnMean wrote: September 10, 2020, 10:54 pm
Colk wrote: September 10, 2020, 10:14 pm

We have Simonsen who pis also a solid FG winger and who isn't on a serious 2 year decline, is also faster.

Then we have the rookies seen this season.

Then I have suggested we recruit.

That seems pretty clear and reasonable. I don't think the idea that we keep an underperforming, older outside back on the books just because we think the sky will fall and we can't buy anyone is a good move. Just my thinking.

It's been 2 years since he was good. It began with just a loss of pace in the clear. Then the breaks dried up. Now he misses more than he finished from chances in the 20m zone. It's a bum steer mate.
Are we looking at recruiting anyone? It seems like the club isn’t
Andymachine
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley, Ruben Wiki

Post by Andymachine »

He's not 2016 Rapa anymore but I'm still a fan. He inserts himself into the game, makes good metres every game, fills in wherever he's needed for the good of the team and bear in mind he hasn't been given a single game, let alone an extended run, in his best position - right wing. With no Cotric next year I think he's our best winger and have no problem keeping him on. Maybe just 1 year at a time though and play him on the RIGHT Ricky! I'd dearly love a high quality recruit of Cotric's caliber for somewhere in the backline though.

As for Sia, I don't see his level of play being an issue. He's a good player but he's also kind of surplus to requirements now so I'm not sure. At most there are 6 middle spots in the 17 at any one time. Papa, Tapine, Guler, Hors have 4 of them mortgaged. Ryan James hasn't been signed to not play first grade and Sutton has been fantastic recently so for mine, those are our first choice middles (TBC on James). Then Lui, Young, Havili and Sia are the next group to come in. It's a lot of middles but injuries happen and as long is the money is right and he can accept a more modest deal for his final contract then it's ok.

"The game owes me nothing, I owe the game everything." - Alan Tongue
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

He's on the wrong side of the field

Jordy Raps needs to be forevermore on the right wing
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

With James and Rushton coming on I think we become overstocked in the middle, and I think the chances of having another year of middle forward injuries like we've had this year are slim. Given that I'm not sure why we're needing to extend Sia, instead of trying to push him off-field to another role.
SeeBee101
David Grant
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by SeeBee101 »

Sia should either retire or get one more paycheck with another club. Our forward pack is stacked as it is. Don't need another sitting out each game day.

Put that money towards a decent outside back. Resign Rapa on a lower contract. Two year deal max.
Andymachine
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley, Ruben Wiki

Post by Andymachine »

It's still a 30 man squad and I think it's ok to carry 10 middles in a 30 man squad but that would be a maximum. Something like 10 middles, 4 halves, 3 hookers, 5 edges and 8 outside backs seems reasonable with some versatility in there. Maybe 9 backs is better but it all comes down to the money that Sia will be on. At 34 years old and now non-essential I hope Don keeps a fair bit of pragmatism about the dollars here. It's got to be market value or below. I think Rapa is pretty cheap this year after coming back from Japan and he should stay somewhat on the cheap too (within reason). Neither of them are minimum wage players but I don't think either are going to be greedy either.

"The game owes me nothing, I owe the game everything." - Alan Tongue
lightning
Sam Backo

Post by lightning »

Raps is one of our best players week in week out. Never mismatched, handles any opponent and the work he gets through puts Cotric Who is 10 years younger to shame.

Morris boys are older than him and killing it.

Re-sign is a no brainer
Colk
Dean Lance

Post by Colk »

Who’s against re-signing Rapana now. Valemei is not ready yet.
-GD-
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga, Terry Campese, Troy Thompson

Post by -GD- »

Yep we would be absolutely insane not to re-sign Raps
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Colk wrote: September 12, 2020, 3:53 pm Who’s against re-signing Rapana now. Valemei is not ready yet.
If he's right winger or we move Scott along. It can work.

If it is a back 5 of Rapa, Scott, CNK, Croker, Simo then it's going to be be a 5-8th finish backline. A decent game vs a bottom 4 team doesn't really change my opinion since we didn't see any change in the lack of speed or ability to finish.

He played well. He's all hustle. We knew that. Also lacks strike and lacks toe for a back 5 player. We knew that.

I'm not sure how 90m run, 2 tackle breaks and 1 line break vs a bottom 4 team is some sort of refutation or egg facer?
Colk
Dean Lance

Post by Colk »

BadnMean wrote: September 12, 2020, 5:26 pm
Colk wrote: September 12, 2020, 3:53 pm Who’s against re-signing Rapana now. Valemei is not ready yet.
If he's right winger or we move Scott along. It can work.

If it is a back 5 of Rapa, Scott, CNK, Croker, Simo then it's going to be be a 5-8th finish backline. A decent game vs a bottom 4 team doesn't really change my opinion since we didn't see any change in the lack of speed or ability to finish.

He played well. He's all hustle. We knew that. Also lacks strike and lacks toe for a back 5 player. We knew that.

I'm not sure how 90m run, 2 tackle breaks and 1 line break vs a bottom 4 team is some sort of refutation or egg facer?
My argument was not due to Rapana’s play so much as Valemei. I’m not deathriding the kid by any means as I am quite impressed by his athleticism but without Rapana next year he will be playing first grade every week and I think he would benefit from playing the odd game and learning his trade in reserves next year

I do agree about our general lack of pace though
Boomercm
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Joe Picker

Post by Boomercm »

afgtnk wrote: September 11, 2020, 1:10 pm With James and Rushton coming on I think we become overstocked in the middle, and I think the chances of having another year of middle forward injuries like we've had this year are slim. Given that I'm not sure why we're needing to extend Sia, instead of trying to push him off-field to another role.
Someone (Hors prob) might end up back on the edge. I'd be surprised if CHN makes the grade for us as an edge defender - I think he is destined to fill the bench utility last 20mins role. Hopefully I'm wrong and a good pre-season makes all the difference