All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Re: Corey Harawira-Naera signs with Raiders to end 2022

Post by -PJ- »

gangrenous wrote: July 24, 2020, 7:56 pm
sprintman wrote:SMH News says it was Gould who convinced Raiders to chase CHN. Can’t link as it’s behind paywall.
That’s unfortunate. I had thought this was a good idea
Again with Gould..geez.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

How Corey Harawira-Naera gets entry into the Canberra Raiders bubble

New Zealand international Corey Harawira-Naera not only has to get medical clearance to be allowed into the Canberra Raiders bubble, but his accommodation has to get the green light as well. Harawira-Naera met with the Raiders chief medical officer on Saturday and will hopefully start on Monday or Tuesday.

"Great player, good bloke and I think he'll be a great addition to the club," he said. "He's obviously got to do COVID stuff, but I've made known to him if he needs a place to stay my house is open til he gets up and going.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

He's had the flu shot btw. Still waiting on the clearance for Papalii and Tapine.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Not a moment too soon it appears.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Corey Harawira-Naera cleared to enter Canberra Raiders bubble

Canberra Raiders recruit Corey Harawira-Naera has been cleared by the NRL’s Apollo Committee to join the Raiders NRL bubble. Harawira-Naera will be assessed by club medical and strength and condition staff and is expected to join the team for his first training session on Tuesday morning.

Read more: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2020/07 ... rs-bubble/
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Be really interesting to see what Stuart does with the squad now.
Assuming JB is back this week... we're suddenly stacked in the edges... i wouldnt be surprised to see CHN spend a little time to begin playing in the middle until he gets his legs back.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Botman wrote: July 27, 2020, 8:13 pm Be really interesting to see what Stuart does with the squad now.
Assuming JB is back this week... we're suddenly stacked in the edges... i wouldnt be surprised to see CHN spend a little time to begin playing in the middle until he gets his legs back.
Both will be short of a gallop. JB to start, CHN off the bench to give him a spell. Either can shift to the middle later if needed.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Welcome to Canberra Corey. How about this wind?

It's blowing the white off rice out there! :o
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

'I derailed the season': Harawira-Naera issues apology to Bulldogs over sex scandal

Corey Harawira-Naera has apologised to Canterbury for "derailing the season before it even started" and admitted he has some "growing up to do" after the incident that threatened his career. Harawira-Naera took to Instagram @horitecorey to post a video apology to the club ahead of his first match for the Raiders.

"During my time off I had a lot of time to myself to realise that I have a bit of growing up to do to become the person and obviously the player I want to be. The realisation that I possibly couldn't have played the game again is a big factor in me looking at myself and realising I've got a lot of change to do."

Read more: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/i-dera ... 55h3v.html
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Seems like a pretty mature response. I think a lot of players would come out after an appeal win and claim to have been the victim of over-reaction. Credit to him for owning his behaviour and the detrimental impact it had.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Nice to be the club at the other end of the equation for a change.

Hopefully he's true to his word. Will be good to see him rip in for us.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

I'd argue the Bulldogs de-railed their own season. Started about 4 years ago.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

A credit towards him that he admitted he screwed up. A lot of people don't.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

My missus usually lets me know..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Northern Raider wrote: July 31, 2020, 8:44 am I'd argue the Bulldogs de-railed their own season. Started about 4 years ago.
Their season was never on the rails
He said what was needed to be said to satisify all parties... on we march
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Botman wrote: July 31, 2020, 10:32 pm
Northern Raider wrote: July 31, 2020, 8:44 am I'd argue the Bulldogs de-railed their own season. Started about 4 years ago.
True. For something top be de-railed implies it was previously railed.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Botman wrote:
He’s come to Canberra where he can be on the rails more than the light rail stage 2a from Civic to Commonwealth Park.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders recruit Corey Harawira-Naera grateful for NRL second chance

It was the call Corey Harawira-Naera never expected, but one that dragged the Canberra Raiders recruit out of a dark place.

"I've definitely learnt my lesson. To be given a second chance by a really good club that's played in the NRL grand final last year, that sort of got me going. Once I heard from my manager that Canberra could be keen on me I was just like, 'Oh whoah'.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Interesting. So successful clubs are actually attractive to quality players?

Well I NEVER......
Toviii
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Toviii »

Is whoah the correct spelling?
'I've got 17 blokes in that dressing room that are hurting'
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

afgtnk wrote: August 8, 2020, 11:35 am Interesting. So successful clubs are actually attractive to quality players?

Well I NEVER......
It's hidden behind the paywall but the rest of that sentence was
"... Once I heard from my manager that Canberra could be keen on me I was just like, 'Oh whoah', the bike trails ere epic and there is comparatively less traffic, leaving me more time to enjoy them!".
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Toviii wrote: August 8, 2020, 12:09 pm Is whoah the correct spelling?
Could be a true to pronunciation spelling. It leant a nice Bill and Tedd's vibe. I enjoyed it.
Damoni
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Too Easy

Post by Damoni »

BadnMean wrote:
afgtnk wrote: August 8, 2020, 11:35 am Interesting. So successful clubs are actually attractive to quality players?

Well I NEVER......
It's hidden behind the paywall but the rest of that sentence was
"... Once I heard from my manager that Canberra could be keen on me I was just like, 'Oh whoah', the bike trails ere epic and there is comparatively less traffic, leaving me more time to enjoy them!".
So many lols today
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Raiders new recruit Corey Harawira-Naera: I love it in Canberra already

Corey Harawira-Naera says he's learned his lesson, and is now just glad to be in Canberra.

"I love it already, I can put my gumboots and trackies on, it's been fun," he said. The boys have been really welcoming. I think the Raiders also play a style of footy that will really suit me. I feel like that's going to be the best thing for me in the long run. Down here you can just focus on footy."

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/08/19/har ... my-lesson/
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Well, to be fair, there's not much going on anywhere with the COVID restrictions in place for NRL players.

I'm glad he feels part of the team already. He has certainly ripped in when he got on the field.

Can't wait to see more of him. I think he's an outstanding replacement for Bateman. We got kicked in the backside by a rainbow there.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

I do find it interesting how a few of our former "problem children" have said they find it easier to behave away from Sydney. The fake glitz isn't all its cracked up to be.

He played well on the weekend. And as for those gumboots, well he'll be needing them!
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

How times have changed about bagging Canberra out as a City and how we can’t get players.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
In Ricky We Trust
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

Amazing isnt it. Some of us got shot down for suggesting it was performance related.. unsurprisingly, we are in finals contention and players all of a sudden want to play for us.. whats more players are now suggesting that the location is a drawcard for people looking for a quieter life... good times hey.. cant wait to see chn hit peak fitness just in time for the finals
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Our major recruitment targets have been

*checks notes*

Englishmen playing in the ESL looking to prove themselves (Whitehead, Hodgson, Sutton, Bateman, Williams) and players sacked or discarded by their current team (CHN, Scott, CNK)

Let's pump the breaks on Canberra being a destination city, it's not as if we've signed a high profile in demand superstar :lol:

What Stuart has done is identify a problem area (recruitment) and instead of just mopping around doing the "woe is me" routine and pay tax for honest toilers as all previous coaches tended to do, he's put a stop to paying the Canberra tax and is willing to let people walk instead of paying above market and simultaneously found a market ineffeciency with UK based talent, exploited it like no other club

And for that, he should be applauded and given all the praise owed to him. Those decisions around how to deal with our recruitment handicap has turned the club around.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

Destroyer of clubs
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Brew wrote: August 19, 2020, 7:40 pm How times have changed about bagging Canberra out as a City and how we can’t get players.

I'll be convinced when I see us sign a quality free agent in competition with a Sydney club on comparable money.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Botman wrote: August 19, 2020, 8:11 pm Our major recruitment targets have been

*checks notes*

Englishmen playing in the ESL looking to prove themselves (Whitehead, Hodgson, Sutton, Bateman, Williams) and players sacked or discarded by their current team (CHN, Scott, CNK)

Let's pump the breaks on Canberra being a destination city, it's not as if we've signed a high profile in demand superstar :lol:

What Stuart has done is identify a problem area (recruitment) and instead of just mopping around doing the "woe is me" routine and pay tax for honest toilers as all previous coaches tended to do, he's put a stop to paying the Canberra tax and is willing to let people walk instead of paying above market and simultaneously found a market ineffeciency with UK based talent, exploited it like no other club

And for that, he should be applauded and given all the praise owed to him. Those decisions around how to deal with our recruitment handicap has turned the club around.
Also the juniors. We've landed and held onto some pretty handy ones.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Yeah that's a good call, we've done well to get guys like Guler into the club at 17-18 and develop them and hang on to them.
Point is we've improved our recruitment because we've found ways around it, not because we're suddenly attracting the Tyson Frizzell's and David Fafita's of the world
amiafish
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Past: Ricky Stuart Present: Xavier Savage

Post by amiafish »

Botman wrote: August 20, 2020, 9:09 am Yeah that's a good call, we've done well to get guys like Guler into the club at 17-18 and develop them and hang on to them.
Point is we've improved our recruitment because we've found ways around it, not because we're suddenly attracting the Tyson Frizzell's and David Fafita's of the world
Yep. It's a shame Ricky is such a pig-headed coach tactically, because he's proving to be a strategic genius. Maybe we need to grab a decent assistant coach with some fresh ideas and a willingness to take it up to the boss.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Northern Raider wrote: August 19, 2020, 9:11 pm
Brew wrote: August 19, 2020, 7:40 pm How times have changed about bagging Canberra out as a City and how we can’t get players.

I'll be convinced when I see us sign a quality free agent in competition with a Sydney club on comparable money.
I think some are missing the point entirely.

Sure, if a Sydney based player is given equal offers from Canberra and a Sydney club - and there isn't a noticeable disparity in career prospects (i.e neither Raiders nor club x are fundamentally that different in terms of premiership prospects over the next few years) - then sure, Sydney players might stay put.

But what many are now realising is that success is the great equaliser. As while I think Canberra is way better than it was say 15-20 years years ago, the biggest equaliser is that we are also a much more attractive club than we were 15-20 years ago.

I can only strongly disagree with those who believe that Canberra is an unattractive enough location to dissuade good players from coming; despite it being to their own career detriment.

If we were in a bidding war with Dragons, Bulldogs, Tigers, even Bunnies - and we were offering similar money, I have a strong feeling you'd be convinced.
Up The Milk