Jordan Rapana set to sign new two year Canberra Raiders deal

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Jordan Rapana set to sign new two year Canberra Raiders deal

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders look to open contract talks with Jordan Rapana

The Canberra Raiders will open talks to keep Jordan Rapana in lime green for an eighth season. Raiders chief executive Don Furner said they wanted to keep him in the capital beyond 2020. He also said they wanted to keep Oldfield in lime green, although the 29-year-old might look for more opportunity elsewhere.

"We'll start to talk to them. Yeah, definitely [keen to keep him]. We know what 'Rapa' can do and bring to the club and everyone loves him," Furner said.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Re: Canberra Raiders look to open contract talks with Jordan Rapana

Post by Dusty »

Oldfield’s injury came at a really bad time for him. I like him and hope he stays.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Yeah might be tough to retain both with HSS and Valemei coming through.
Old School Green
Dean Lance

Post by Old School Green »

No brainer. Raps brings so much to our squad both on and off the field. Get it done Donny 💚
87, 89, 90, 91, 94, 19
I was there. Go the Milk !!
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Post by Neeeegz »

Thanks for your efforts oldy, top squad man and great guy to have around.
Best of luck elsewhere, but we need to keep Harley and Semi
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

Get the Rapa deal done pronto!

Would love to keep Oldie too but wouldn’t begrudge him moving elsewhere to get more game time. Has been excellent for us.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Agree Ruben, Rapa gives his all and is a big unit who runs good yardage every match. I reckon he is the Raiders best ever right winger. He also can play fullback but I'd prefer he is allowed to concentrate on the right wing position.

I also see Oldy as mostly a winger. With Cotric leaving I reckon he would not let us down. Sure we have Valemi and Simmonson to go with Rapa but Oldy brings pace and experience. I see HSS as a center. We have some depth.
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

This is another good move from the club. Secure rapa for another year. I reckon hed still have a couple of solid years in him. Try and retain oldfield but I'd be happy to see him go for the opportunity to be a first grade spot.
nachopants
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by nachopants »

We nearly lost Rappa by showing loyalty to Cotric.

...fat lotta good that got us, lock Raps in for the next 50 years
AUSTEZER
Terry Campese
Favourite Player: John Ferguson

Post by AUSTEZER »

Oldie never let's us down I'd be keeping him with nick going plenty of speed runs great lines and straight
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

RedRaider wrote: August 2, 2020, 9:32 pm Agree Ruben, Rapa gives his all and is a big unit who runs good yardage every match. I reckon he is the Raiders best ever right winger. He also can play fullback but I'd prefer he is allowed to concentrate on the right wing position.

I also see Oldy as mostly a winger. With Cotric leaving I reckon he would not let us down. Sure we have Valemi and Simmonson to go with Rapa but Oldy brings pace and experience. I see HSS as a center. We have some depth.
Ken Nagas? Sean Hoppe? It's an argument I guess...
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Lui_Bon wrote:
RedRaider wrote: August 2, 2020, 9:32 pm Agree Ruben, Rapa gives his all and is a big unit who runs good yardage every match. I reckon he is the Raiders best ever right winger. He also can play fullback but I'd prefer he is allowed to concentrate on the right wing position.

Ken Nagas? Sean Hoppe? It's an argument I guess...
Kenny and Noa switched a fair bit back then, Vanikolo had the opportunity too I'll always be devastated he left us so soon

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Until the Bulldogs offer some ridiculous amount and steal him from under our noses..

I hope the club and JordyRaps can come to an agreement..

Great wingman..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

He's not quite what he was in his peak but he's still a very valuable member of the team and offers us a lot as a winger.
After losing Nick, if we lost Raps, we'd REALLY need to find a big back who can help us early in the sets
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Rapana brings the intangible of a highly competitive attitude. Sometimes it gets away from him and transfers into poor discipline. While that last part can be frustrating for fans the benefits outweigh the negatives.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Northern Raider wrote: August 3, 2020, 9:00 am Rapana brings the intangible of a highly competitive attitude. Sometimes it gets away from him and transfers into poor discipline. While that last part can be frustrating for fans the benefits outweigh the negatives.
Its far less likely to turn into poor discipline when the team is doing well. As long as we contend, its competitive
Dont delete this GE
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

One of my all-time favourite Raiders. Lock him in Ed.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

simo wrote: August 3, 2020, 9:14 am
Northern Raider wrote: August 3, 2020, 9:00 am Rapana brings the intangible of a highly competitive attitude. Sometimes it gets away from him and transfers into poor discipline. While that last part can be frustrating for fans the benefits outweigh the negatives.
Its far less likely to turn into poor discipline when the team is doing well. As long as we contend, its competitive
Yeah, he puts in 120% all the time but when things are really working out he goes in tilt. I'd rather that than give up.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Definitely like oldie to stick around if the price is right. He'd be spending a lot of time in reggies but has proven his worth every time we needed him. He wouldn't stand in anyone's way if we were looking to give someone else the 2-3 week taste of firsts.
If Rona is coming and we are looking to push one of the younger guys along then it's hard to find a place for oldie.

Hoping Timoko is headed into the top squad as well.

The Rapana signing is a no brainer.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

A season full of adversity has highlighted Rapana's best qualities- never say die attitude and experience. He doesn't quite seem capable of hitting the clear or shredding a team anymore but he can still finish, positionally/defensively/catching an excellent winger and if asked to do another position- well he's enthusiastic!

If it came down to a squeeze I'd be keeping Rapana and Oldy- clearly Rapana is the one to keep. He's the most likely to end up nailing down a FG spot and if young stars shine brighter then he'd also do well as the "new Oldy" backup winger/backline Mr Fixit or #14.

Keeping Oldy or not will come down to if we DO have a quality outside back coming in. If the other outside backs are all Simo, HSS, Timoko then having one more experienced campaigner wouldn't hurt the side nor the cap at all. If we do have a Rona like player coming in then we probably go with the youth for the other spots.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Happy to have him stay, but it can't or shouldn't be for anywhere near what he wanted last year.
89_90_94_??
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: Josh.p

Post by 89_90_94_?? »

It's not just what rapana brings on the field. You can tell the boys or love him.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Having watched Toots’ attempts to lead the team song earlier this year, I say we sign Rapa for as long as possible :roflmao
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Coastalraider wrote: August 3, 2020, 2:41 pm Having watched Toots’ attempts to lead the team song earlier this year, I say we sign Rapa for as long as possible :roflmao
I think we should be grooming Hors for this role long term
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Botman wrote: August 3, 2020, 2:53 pm
Coastalraider wrote: August 3, 2020, 2:41 pm Having watched Toots’ attempts to lead the team song earlier this year, I say we sign Rapa for as long as possible :roflmao
On a related note did you see the Warriors had to put the team song words up on a whiteboard? Half the guys in there had never sung it before. :lol:

Have to admit it gave me a real buzz watching them sing it. They've been through a lot and there was plenty of passion flowing.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

Get Raps and Oldy signed and sealed, Don. Valemei and HSS are good but they need time and experience. Nothing wrong with having a couple of highly experienced, superbly talented backs to help with that.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

I reckon smelly would be a candidate
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Which of our juniors are you going to sacrifice to keep Rapana?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

FROG wrote: August 3, 2020, 7:49 pm
I reckon smelly would be a candidate
Only 4 blokes would understand the words...
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

I love him. Gives everything he has got and has nearly been lost to the game a number of times, only to return with the same great attitude everytime.

This time we need to hang onto him.
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

I like the cut of his jib
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

T_R wrote: August 3, 2020, 7:54 pm Which of our juniors are you going to sacrifice to keep Rapana?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
I don’t know that we need to sacrifice one, I think HSS needs a spot sooner or later, but that’s a Scott problem more than a Raps but Semi probably could use another 12 months developing and simo replaces Cotric

But even if we sign a back to replace Cotric
We’re talking Raps, Simo, Croker, Scott, new signing, HSS, Semi
Once you account for injury/suspensions, and the possibility of Simo in 14... I think we can make it work
GreenGuy
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by GreenGuy »

Clubman of the year has his name all over it this season. His mere presence is inspiring, lock him in asap. #RapGod
benda
Brett Mullins

Post by benda »

I've been calling for Rapana to have a go at fullback for years. I like the idea of him spending more time there.

He is a great clubman and will most likely be happy playing wherever required.

A must sign in my opinion. He 2 or 3 solid years in him.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

His 81 post contact metres from Saturday’s game is a pretty inspiring stat, and an example of attitude and effort.

For context, only 2 players in the NRL are averaging more than that per game (Taumalolo and Addin Fonua-Blake). Closest fullback is RTS who is averaging 70m per game.