Panthers 13+
19%

Total votes: 16

Azza
Laurie Daley

Re: 2020 Rd 13 V Panthers: Teams and Previews

Post by Azza »

-PJ- wrote: August 2, 2020, 10:37 am
Azza wrote: August 2, 2020, 9:34 am We will lift against Penrith. Reckon we will give a good account of ourselves.
I'm not worried..
Yawn
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

-PJ- wrote: August 2, 2020, 10:37 am
Azza wrote: August 2, 2020, 9:34 am We will lift against Penrith. Reckon we will give a good account of ourselves.
I'm not worried..
Agreed. Season over.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

I have cult status. It is done. :lol: :lol:
Chicka Chicka Chicka
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Chicka Chicka Chicka »

No charges from Saturday’s matches, Papa all clear to take on Penrith.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Chicka Chicka Chicka wrote:No charges from Saturday’s matches, Papa all clear to take on Penrith.
Yep I thought it was penalty sufficient. Papa fell awkwardly and clipped him with his forearm. It wasn’t a traditional arm to the head.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

1. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
2. Nick Cotric
3. Jarrod Croker (c)
4. Curtis Scott
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Jack Wighton
7. George Williams
8. Josh Papalii
9. Siliva Havili
10. Dunamis Lui
11. John Bateman
12. Elliot Whitehead
13. Hudson Young

14. Tom Starling
15. Joseph Tapine
16. Ryan Sutton
17. Corey Harawira-Naera
Johno
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Johno »

BJ wrote: August 2, 2020, 3:26 pm
Chicka Chicka Chicka wrote:No charges from Saturday’s matches, Papa all clear to take on Penrith.
Yep I thought it was penalty sufficient. Papa fell awkwardly and clipped him with his forearm. It wasn’t a traditional arm to the head.
Classic example of slow motion making it look worse, and it still didnt look bad.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Northern Raider wrote: August 2, 2020, 9:41 am
Seiffert82 wrote: August 2, 2020, 9:10 am
RedRaider wrote: August 2, 2020, 6:50 am
Dusty wrote: August 1, 2020, 8:32 pm 1. CNK
2. Rapana
3. Croker
4. Scott
5. Cotric
6. Wighton
7. Williams
8. Papalii
9. Havili
10. Lui
11. Bateman
12. Whitehead
13. Young

14. Starling
15. CHN
16. Sutton
17. Tapine

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
I like that side Dusty. Was it just me or did Tapine seem a bit off the pace last night? He didn't play long minutes (34) so possibly carrying an injury.
May have had a touch of the flu.
Don't go there :lol:
:lol: yeah, don't want to destroy this thread too.

Hope he doesn't spread it....
radicalraider
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by radicalraider »

Our bench needs to be super.. they have some strong forwards on theirs.. also they havnt conceded a point in first 20 all year.. gotta start well.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

radicalraider wrote: August 2, 2020, 5:01 pm Our bench needs to be super.. they have some strong forwards on theirs.. also they havnt conceded a point in first 20 all year.. gotta start well.
Yeah Panthers have plenty of punch off the bench with guys like Leota and Tetevano but I'm pretty confident of matching them with Tapine, Sutton and CHN.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

This honestly shapes as the most interesting game in the competition for some time.

Despite being depleted and not playing that well Canberra beat Easts and drew with Parramatta.

Penrith actually remind me a bit of Canberra 15-17. Able to absolutely lap some of the ordinary teams and are making a habit of it. Big question mark when the going gets hot though.

If we give up soft tries we will lose. But I think if we’re tough and the game is close deep then the odds sway towards us even though we’re short a game manager, there’s no playmaker at 9, and we have 2 five-eighths.

They are a very good team but I think there’s a big question mark on their back 3 even if Edwards is there. The rest of their team has been so good we haven’t seen the questions asked yet. But if we match it I’m expecting Williams to really question them with his kicking game and hopefully Raps is back on the sting to exploit it
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Semi Valemei knee infection... so hopefully he will be right for next week: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14280
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Kikau vs Bateman #2...
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I think we're going to give a very good account of ourselves here.
Quietly confident.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Which is why it was completely bull that the penalty was awarded on review.
In order for it to be a penalty it has to be a reportable offence. In order to be a reportable offence, it has to be deemed worthy of a charge and nobody who saw that thought “he’ll be charged for that”.
Dont delete this GE
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

simo wrote: August 2, 2020, 7:09 pm
In order for it to be a penalty it has to be a reportable offence. In order to be a reportable offence, it has to be deemed worthy of a charge and nobody who saw that thought “he’ll be charged for that”.
One of the handful of dodgy calls that didn't go our way. Add the Rapana touch in goal decision, and then the Cows getting the ball back after it hit one of their players off a Williams kick and went out...apparently not played at despite the fact he jumped into it. Any number of blatant forward passes let go.

I'm also getting sick of the opposition losing the ball through a bad offload or a loose carry only for us to knock the ball on when we dive on it.

Anyway, as Stuart said in the presser...you make your own luck.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Whilst that is how the rule was sold, i dont think it has ever been enforced that way. Pretty early on in its inception it became a mulligan to penalise high contact.
I dont think think there was any intent in Papa's actions, and i dont think they even considered a charge but it is a mandatory penalty, and so this is how it goes.

I've got no issue with it because this is one area of the game where i think there is a pretty high level of consistency. (noting that nothing is perfect and things do get missed/screwed on on this)
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Botman wrote: August 2, 2020, 7:44 pm
Whilst that is how the rule was sold, i dont think it has ever been enforced that way. Pretty early on in its inception it became a mulligan to penalise high contact.
I dont think think there was any intent in Papa's actions, and i dont think they even considered a charge but it is a mandatory penalty, and so this is how it goes.

I've got no issue with it because this is one area of the game where i think there is a pretty high level of consistency. (noting that nothing is perfect and things do get missed/screwed on on this)
The thing is ive seen blatantly incidental contact with the head be checked after a player lies down like that and not have a penalty awarded. The “warrant placing on report” should be relatively easy to implement and stop rubbish like this
Dont delete this GE
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Post by Cranky Old Man »

I always enjoy watching Manly get screwed royally and so I enjoyed the referees performance the other night. I just hope we don't cop the same treatment!
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Northern Raider wrote: August 2, 2020, 9:41 am
Seiffert82 wrote: August 2, 2020, 9:10 am
RedRaider wrote: August 2, 2020, 6:50 am
Dusty wrote: August 1, 2020, 8:32 pm 1. CNK
2. Rapana
3. Croker
4. Scott
5. Cotric
6. Wighton
7. Williams
8. Papalii
9. Havili
10. Lui
11. Bateman
12. Whitehead
13. Young

14. Starling
15. CHN
16. Sutton
17. Tapine

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
I like that side Dusty. Was it just me or did Tapine seem a bit off the pace last night? He didn't play long minutes (34) so possibly carrying an injury.
May have had a touch of the flu.
Don't go there :lol:
:lol: He couldn't have had flu S82, can't go to Qld with flu symptoms. He just didn't seem his usual aggressive self.
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

julian87 wrote: August 2, 2020, 5:51 pm This honestly shapes as the most interesting game in the competition for some time.

Despite being depleted and not playing that well Canberra beat Easts and drew with Parramatta.

Penrith actually remind me a bit of Canberra 15-17. Able to absolutely lap some of the ordinary teams and are making a habit of it. Big question mark when the going gets hot though.

If we give up soft tries we will lose. But I think if we’re tough and the game is close deep then the odds sway towards us even though we’re short a game manager, there’s no playmaker at 9, and we have 2 five-eighths.

They are a very good team but I think there’s a big question mark on their back 3 even if Edwards is there. The rest of their team has been so good we haven’t seen the questions asked yet. But if we match it I’m expecting Williams to really question them with his kicking game and hopefully Raps is back on the sting to exploit it
Couldn’t agree more with this. A few things need to go right for us, but I actually think we match up reasonably well. I would be looking to test Naden on the edge, and target their back 3. Naden is very prone to a few misreads a game, throw some shape at him (last year he played left but he has played right for them this year, which matches up against our left side). Luai can also miss some tackles, he can arm grab at times and is good for a quick play the ball.

Cleary is in great form but Koroisau is the main threat. He tends to have big games against us, hopefully our middles can step up and not let the Panthers get the go forward he needs. Speaking of which, their bench has been massive for them. Need a huge shift from Tapine and Sutton when they come on.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Canberra Milk wrote: August 2, 2020, 10:15 am We have too many great attacking players to just accept that we're a boring grinding team

Penrith will be a good barometer. They play how I want us to play, they have a thirst for scoring, they have good combinations with each other and they're skillful enough to make use of it
Milk, We are at last getting experienced FGers back into the side. Much of this year it has been a case of covering gaps in the line up with either rookies or players who would not be first choice in the 17. They had a warm up in tough conditions in NQld. Out of the tropics in Penrith, I reckon we'll get a better gauge on where we are at. Penrith are running first in this competition and are in great form. If ever there was a real test of the 2020 Raiders this is it.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

The key to the game is containing Koriosau's running game and Cleary's kicking game.

Too easy. Just do it. :lol:

In all seriousness, we ultimately need Jack Wighton to be switched on for this game. No hospital passes running players into the teeth of the defence, knocking the ball on cold or kicking the ball dead or out on the full multiple times. He really does dictate whether we control possession of the footy. He needs to deliver more than just a solid running game this week.
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

Seiffert82 wrote: August 2, 2020, 9:20 pm The key to the game is containing Koriosau's running game and Cleary's kicking game.

In all seriousness, we ultimately need Jack Wighton to be switched on for this game. No hospital passes running players into the teeth of the defence, knocking the ball on cold or kicking the ball dead or out on the full multiple times. He really does dictate whether we control possession of the footy. He needs to deliver more than just a solid running game this week.
Both Cleary and Koroisau rely on go forward from Fisher-Harris, Tamou and to a lesser extent, Yeo and Leota. Line speed and first up contact from our forwards will go a long way. It’s a huge game for our forward pack, just hope they aren’t gassed after the last month of football.

This game reminds me a bit of the second game against them year. They were on a big winning streak, at home, and we were able to get the points on the back of a very good defensive display. We can’t give them that sort of territory this week, they attack much better in the red zone now.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

From memory last time we played Penrith they were running red hot and on a streak as well....
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

TongueFTW wrote: August 3, 2020, 9:24 am
Seiffert82 wrote: August 2, 2020, 9:20 pm The key to the game is containing Koriosau's running game and Cleary's kicking game.

Both Cleary and Koroisau rely on go forward from Fisher-Harris, Tamou and to a lesser extent, Yeo and Leota. Line speed and first up contact from our forwards will go a long way. It’s a huge game for our forward pack, just hope they aren’t gassed after the last month of football.

This game reminds me a bit of the second game against them year. They were on a big winning streak, at home, and we were able to get the points on the back of a very good defensive display. We can’t give them that sort of territory this week, they attack much better in the red zone now.
Absolutely. I guess my comment about Wighton is largely about possession and pressure more broadly. You're absolutely right about the foundations of Penrith's winning streak. Like any good opposition, we need to match them up front and make sure they are running out of their own end rather than attacking our line all day.

To that extent it's a huge game for Taps, Lui and Sutton. Tapine was quiet on the weekend, but those three have been good for us lately. I'm quietly confident we now have the depth in our pack to get on top of theirs, as long as we don't cough up cheap possession and gift them 7 tackle sets etc. Unlike the Cows, they will kill us in the red zone on the back of Cleary and Api if we let them camp down our end.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Yep we basically popped their balloon last year and revealed them as pretenders, whilst asserting our own credibility.

I have no doubt they'll remember that and be looking to use us as a yardstick game this year to do the opposite to us. More than just another 2 points.

I'd rather have CNK at the back dealing with Cleary's kicks. Could be a factor in the game, whether he plays or not.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Now that we've added a couple forwards to our pack, I don't think we necessarily need to play Tapine off the bench to balance it out. I would rather see our strongest side starting (taking in to consideration that CHN isn't ready to start yet):
8. Papalii
9. Havili
10. Lui
11. Bateman
12. Whitehead
13. Tapine

14. Starling
15. Harawira-Naera
16. Young
17. Sutton

I think we will win this one. Penrith are a quality side but they have not yet proven themselves against most of the top teams and I don't think their ladder position is a great indication of where they truly sit amongst the top 6 or 7 clubs. I think they will be overwhelmed if we can start strong.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Agreed. Similarly to last year, we are winning games despite poor ball security or polish in attack.

With all due respect to a quality Panthers team, if we lose this game it will most likely be on the back of errors and impatience.

I was really hoping to start the Cows game with a solid opening 20 and we got the exact opposite. Maybe we will be a bit more focussed this weekend.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

This Panthers team is a lot better than last year's team and the form of their players is better.
They've got Kikau humming on all cylinders instead of Frank Winterstein in the second row. Likewise Yeo is in top form and playing in a better position instead of looking like he's had one too many concussions.
Chricton in the centres is actually dangerous in attack instead of having Dean Whare. Naden is a lot more experienced this time around.
Their bench is a lot stronger. The RCG they had on it last year was in far worse form than he is this year.

Even if you could sit there and say "well they had Maloney". That has us down 1 obvious target for our attack and Cleary has been playing better without him there.

There is no comparison.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

zim wrote: August 3, 2020, 1:52 pm This Panthers team is a lot better than last year's team and the form of their players is better.
They've got Kikau humming on all cylinders instead of Frank Winterstein in the second row. Likewise Yeo is in top form and playing in a better position instead of looking like he's had one too many concussions.
Chricton in the centres is actually dangerous in attack instead of having Dean Whare. Naden is a lot more experienced this time around.
Their bench is a lot stronger. The RCG they had on it last year was in far worse form than he is this year.

Even if you could sit there and say "well they had Maloney". That has us down 1 obvious target for our attack and Cleary has been playing better without him there.

There is no comparison.
Agreed. Season over.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

We normally match up pretty well with the Panthers.. I'm expecting a cracking game as usual
Kryptonite
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Terry Reagan

Post by Kryptonite »

Penrith are playing near perfect footy BUT, have a dream draw, have had no significant injuries, have had next to no travel and have not beaten any of the top 5 teams under them, they are due for some adversity and I think it will be this week against us
Finchy
Jason Croker

Post by Finchy »

Kryptonite wrote: August 3, 2020, 5:13 pm Penrith are playing near perfect footy BUT, have a dream draw, have had no significant injuries, have had next to no travel and have not beaten any of the top 5 teams under them, they are due for some adversity and I think it will be this week against us
Incorrect. The top 5 teams UNDER them include Storm, Roosters, and Sharks. They've beaten all of them this year.
Finchy
Jason Croker

Post by Finchy »

In fact, they've had a fantastic year so far looking at their results:

Current Ladder Position:

1. Panthers
2. Storm - win
3. Eels - 6 point loss (had them beat until Waqa Blake put on 3 tries in ten mins to sneak a win for the Eels)
4. Roosters - win
5. Raiders - haven't played yet
6. Sharks - win
7. Knights - draw (should have won)
8. Rabbitohs - win
9. Sea Eagles - win
10. Tigers - win
11. Dragons - win
12. Warriors - win
13. Cowboys - win
14. Titans - win
15. Broncos - haven't played yet
16. Bulldogs - haven't played yet

So they've lost 1 game all year, against a top 4 side, who they had beaten pretty easily if it weren't for clocking off for ten mins at the end of the game.

The only teams they haven't played yet are us, and the two teams coming last. So they've played the rest of the top eight, and teams ranked 9-14, and still only lost once. That's hardly had a dream run.
Last edited by Finchy on August 3, 2020, 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.