7%
Cowboys 13+
No votes

Total votes: 14

greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: 2020 Rd 12 V Cowboys: Game Day

Post by greeneyed »

FROG wrote:Apologies if this has already been raised, but can anyone explain to me why their initial captains challenge was successful. When rapana touched the ball with his back his foot was on the sideline which meant he was touch in goal. The video ref acknowledged that and then said the challenge was successful... Its almost like they don't know the rules unless the rules changed in the past couple of weeks after tedesco made a ball go dead doing the exact same thing.. while it was only 1 decision it meant that they retained their captain challenge and they shouldnt have been able to lodge as challenge at the death.. kills me how bad the bunker is
In my view it was the wrong call. But as I understood it, they ruled the Cowboys player hadn’t touched the touch line. From my viewings so far, I don’t think that’s right. I only watched it live, though ie as many times as the bunker.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

greeneyed wrote: August 2, 2020, 12:21 am
FROG wrote:Apologies if this has already been raised, but can anyone explain to me why their initial captains challenge was successful. When rapana touched the ball with his back his foot was on the sideline which meant he was touch in goal. The video ref acknowledged that and then said the challenge was successful... Its almost like they don't know the rules unless the rules changed in the past couple of weeks after tedesco made a ball go dead doing the exact same thing.. while it was only 1 decision it meant that they retained their captain challenge and they shouldnt have been able to lodge as challenge at the death.. kills me how bad the bunker is
In my view it was the wrong call. But as I understood it, they ruled the Cowboys player hadn’t touched the touch line. From my viewings so far, I don’t think that’s right. I only watched it live, though ie as many times as the bunker.

Thats correct. The cows player hadnt touched the sideline, so play on at that point. The ball then goes onto rapanas back while HIS left foot is on the sideline which means touch in goal. The video ref saw it correctly but then he says goal line drop out. I get that some things can be difficult to make a call on because of impaired vision etc, but there can be no excuse for officials to make the wrong decision at such a crucial stage because they do not know the rules!!
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

greeneyed wrote: August 2, 2020, 12:21 am

Thats correct. The cows player hadnt touched the sideline, so play on at that point. The ball then goes onto rapanas back while HIS left foot is on the sideline which means touch in goal. The video ref saw it correctly but then he says goal line drop out. I get that some things can be difficult to make a call on because of impaired vision etc, but there can be no excuse for officials to make the wrong decision at such a crucial stage because they do not know the rules!!
kona_dream
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by kona_dream »

Jarrod has had a few balls lost/stripped stepping back to the inside in a try scoring situation. I know he is trying to make himself “small”. But his ball carrying arm lifts and comes away from his body. He doesn’t have good control in that position, something he needs to work on.
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

greeneyed wrote: August 2, 2020, 12:05 am
Botman wrote:
greeneyed wrote: August 1, 2020, 8:46 pm As for Curtis Scott sshhssing the critics... if that is indeed what he meant... I daresay he needs to score more than one try, before he gets the right to do stuff like that. In fact, I don't think think it is a good look for any NRLplayer to do be doing stuff like that. Continue to be disappointed with his outlook. Needs to pull up his socks.
He pulled his socks up tonight. And certianly one sunny day does not make a summer, so we'll see.

The look is whatever it is, if you dont personally like it, thats fine. To me, i did like it, because as misplaced as it is (and to be clear, it is at this stage, misplaced), confidnece is a huge part of the game and i was happy to see him get a little bounce back on that front, and his play improve off the back of it.

It's a start. Nothing more. But a start. He contributed positvely to the footy team tonight
I can understand some might excuse it... because they’re hoping it adds to confidence. Some coaches might excuse it. I don’t think they should. It isn’t the sort of rubbish I want to see at our club. He might have pulled his socks up... but they fell down pretty quickly. No club should encourage stuff like that IMO.

I liked it to be honest and didnt at all consider it disrespectful. He is a good player and if he continues to perform both on and off the field then he'll have our support. I interpreted it as him saying dont give up on me yet...

Its far less offensive then the still get paid comment, for example.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Seiffert82 wrote: August 1, 2020, 8:53 pm
Kryptonite wrote: August 1, 2020, 8:36 pm
Rickmando wrote: August 1, 2020, 8:01 pm Raiders are borderline unwatchable this season. This week it’s another set of fresh excuses for them (away game, humidity, blah blah). Seriously if any of you are watching that and feel like there is anything resembling the execution you’d expect of a professional football team with the football, then good grief you’re beyond help.

Gritty defence etc etc that’s great but if they don’t start showing something with the ball then we are just making up numbers this year
I dont know what your on about?
They followed Ricky’s the game plan to perfection
“Just get out there and Bleed Green for 80 minutes!”
We've got like 7 players out injured and haven't had the same lineup all season. It's nowhere near perfect, but adjusting to no Hodgo and bringing new players in and out of the team has been huge for us.
It's a good point S82. Last night we were without 2 of our regular spine players in Hodgo and CNK. Also three of our best middles imo in Sia, HorsPower and Guler. I know every side has injury, but each week brings more for the Raiders. We at last had players coming back into the side last night. Hopefully most of last nights side have come through without injury so we can at least put a familiar combination on the park against the Panthers. That should be better for attacking cohesion.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Hopefully Valemei is ok. That kid has done a really good job for us so far. He’s come from the clouds and not put a foot wrong. Hopefully Oldfield and CNK are available next week to relieve a bit of that pressure on the remaining fit players.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

2020 Rd 12 V Cowboys: Game Day

Post by LastRaider »

greeneyed wrote:As for Curtis Scott sshhssing the critics... if that is indeed what he meant... I daresay he needs to score more than one try, before he gets the right to do stuff like that. In fact, I don't think think it is a good look for any NRLplayer to do be doing stuff like that. Continue to be disappointed with his outlook. Needs to pull up his socks.
I agree GE, and he was lucky it was just a knock on earlier in the game that he made too. He ran out of the Line in no mans land and got lucky as it was almost a try if the Cowboys player caught the ball. As for his antics, it’s not a Raiders thing to do
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

FROG wrote: Its far less offensive then the still get paid comment, for example.
That’s a very low bar. Better than a comment that still offends after years...
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

Well. It was an ugly win but we still got it done.

I think it is being underestimated how much teams are aiming up against us this season and the toll this takes on the team. Last season we were still under the radar to some degree but this year everyone is up when they play against us. I think we are doing well to still be winning, especially when we are below our best.

Our cohesion in attack has been missing but we haven't been able to put a consistent team on the park for a few months and building that cohesion takes time.

i think we will go up a few notches next week against the Panthers and make it a very close game.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

FROG wrote: Thats correct. The cows player hadnt touched the sideline, so play on at that point. The ball then goes onto rapanas back while HIS left foot is on the sideline which means touch in goal. The video ref saw it correctly but then he says goal line drop out. I get that some things can be difficult to make a call on because of impaired vision etc, but there can be no excuse for officials to make the wrong decision at such a crucial stage because they do not know the rules!!
This made me really angry. Are the bunker officials the same across the games on the one night? Complete inconsistency.

I have a feeling the ruling for the Raiders game may actually be the correct one, with the in-touch rule applying only on the sidelines. Whatever way it is they need to sort their **** out and enforce the same rule consistently.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Seiffert82 wrote: I agree. The way Hodgson was playing, I thought the addition of Havili and Starling invigorated our season. You're right about Hodgo's defence too. He was shocking at times, rushing out of the line, leaving big holes in the middle and missing tackles. It really wasn't good.
In an ABC Article today theres a plot comparing tackles made and tackles missed for hookers and Hodgson is a significant outlier. As noted in the article it doesn't tell the whole story as Raiders have very few linebreaks through the middle. But it is a concern.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-08-01/ ... s/12511446
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I believe the call on that in our game was correct
They changed this years ago because fullbacks were putting their foot over the line and raking kicks back to get the 20 restart
The ball is live, and is taken dead by us, goal line drop out seems the correct call imo
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Botman wrote: August 2, 2020, 8:33 am I believe the call on that in our game was correct
They changed this years ago because fullbacks were putting their foot over the line and raking kicks back to get the 20 restart
The ball is live, and is taken dead by us, goal line drop out seems the correct call imo
Did you watch Roosters v Titans beforehand? Similar situation. Attacking player touches the ball which then contacts a defending player who was over dead ball line. Bunker called it a 20m restart. One of these calls has to be wrong but I don't know which.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
WiganRaider
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: John Bateman

Post by WiganRaider »

Ultima wrote: August 1, 2020, 6:23 pm
Dr Zaius wrote: August 1, 2020, 6:17 pm
Ultima wrote:Williams can't handle the heat and humidity? Would be a shock for the Englishman.
It's 22C!
That's about as warm as the UK gets in the peak of summer, and its no where near as humid as Townsville.

I know it doesn't get to Aus temps over here but it does get above 22 in the summer, yesterday we had 34. But agree about the humidity.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Northern Raider wrote: August 2, 2020, 8:42 am
Botman wrote: August 2, 2020, 8:33 am I believe the call on that in our game was correct
Did you watch Roosters v Titans beforehand? Similar situation. Attacking player touches the ball which then contacts a defending player who was over dead ball line. Bunker called it a 20m restart. One of these calls has to be wrong but I don't know which.
Na I didn’t see it but if it was how you described it, I think the **** up was in the earlier game

But I don’t know for sure
Those rules have been chopped and changed so much it’s hard to remember what the correct call is
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

gangrenous wrote: August 2, 2020, 8:28 am
Seiffert82 wrote: I agree. The way Hodgson was playing, I thought the addition of Havili and Starling invigorated our season. You're right about Hodgo's defence too. He was shocking at times, rushing out of the line, leaving big holes in the middle and missing tackles. It really wasn't good.
In an ABC Article today theres a plot comparing tackles made and tackles missed for hookers and Hodgson is a significant outlier. As noted in the article it doesn't tell the whole story as Raiders have very few linebreaks through the middle. But it is a concern.

Thanks GG, that's a really interesting chart! Obviously doesn't surprise me at all from what I've seen this season.

Also supports my opinion of McInnes. A very underrated player.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

We also have Boyd Cordner jumping from the field of play, collecting the ball and landing over the dead ball line in the GF and getting a 20m tap. That was from the Roosters Rule Book by B. Cummins though.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I think you might be right... and last night I was wrong. The rule shouldn’t have been changed (if we’re now both recalling correctly). There was nothing wrong with what was happening.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Missed tackle stats can be deceptive. When watching games while tracking stats I've noticed there's a big difference between those that count. some examples:
1. Tackler goes low and stops his man then 2 others come in high to finish it while the low tackler falls off. Counts as a miss.
2. Player rushes up and knock the ball carrier backwards but bounces off. The guy gets taken down by other but still says miss tackle on the sheet.
3. Player is going for a try and cover defender cuts him down but he still reaches the line. Also counts as a miss.

What I learnt from this is the eye test is more effective than the stat sheet when evaluating somebody's defensive qualities.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

greeneyed wrote:
I think you might be right... and last night I was wrong. The rule shouldn’t have been changed (if we’re now both recalling correctly). There was nothing wrong with what was happening.
Except for the fact that it was ruled in the opposite fashion in the prior game of course...

I’m not sure it’s as clear cut as we think either. I feel like I’ve seen cases where players pull it back into a defender in touch but they just say defender didn’t play at it.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

They’ve certainly made what should be a simple rule very complicated, and that’s how you get inconsistencies

It should simply be whoever takes the ball dead. If that’s the attacking team, 20 metre restart
If it’s the defending team, goal line drop out
I would suggest ignore the playing/not playing at it
If the ball is bouncing around in the in goal and you’re close enough to contact the footy, you’re active in the play and if you ultimately make the touch that puts the ball dead so be it
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Irony is the bunker overruled the ref in both instances. Titans were awarded a 20m restart after initially being told to drop out. Reverse happened with us.
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

Northern Raider wrote:

Missed tackle stats can be deceptive. When watching games while tracking stats I've noticed there's a big difference between those that count. some examples:
1. Tackler goes low and stops his man then 2 others come in high to finish it while the low tackler falls off. Counts as a miss.
2. Player rushes up and knock the ball carrier backwards but bounces off. The guy gets taken down by other but still says miss tackle on the sheet.
3. Player is going for a try and cover defender cuts him down but he still reaches the line. Also counts as a miss.

What I learnt from this is the eye test is more effective than the stat sheet when evaluating somebody's defensive qualities.
Hodgo is good for coming in as the 2nd or 3rd man and peeling off early to get back into the line. He also run up and makes contact early to put pressure on the attack which would also count as a miss.

He plays for the team not for stats.

On another note Semi’s knee was on ice during the team song.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Considering our injury toll our season is beautifully poised.

We could have went in the other direction, which wouldn't be ideal.

We've won 3 straight under trying circumstances..you've gotta be proud !!

These are the games we should be winning..and we did just that..

Enjoy and move on I say.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Mistackles is the worst regularly used stat in RL.
It's utterly meaningless. There is a lot of times where a miss tackle is still a very positive RL play and a lot of times here poor play results is no mistackle
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Well it was a hideous game.

We've barely put the same team on the park at all this season - 3 more major changes this week and it showed in cohesion.

An awful lot of dropped ball- but the Cowboys dropped just as many as we did. So some allowance for the humidity and shifting pitch needs be made.

Positives.
JB looks like he's just going to pick up where he left off and make a difference to the team.

Right edge actually put some attack together. We've only scored left all season so if we can get some threat out of our right then our attack will begin to look better (an off night for the left excepted).

Young looks better in the middle, as many suspected he would. Young as a mobile lock will be nice for our pack balance and give CHN a spot on the right next year.

Two points from a banana skin game. Winning habit.

Questions
Will coach notice our best try came when we spun it wide and put it through the hands out pf our own end. Teams which are doing well like Parra and Rooters are prepared to do that more often in games this season. Go on the attack from a "defensive" position.

We haven't seen Jack play a full season at 5/8 yet. Last yea around this time he got to go off to origin and get a boost, change of scene and play centres for a few games. Are the errors due to the grind and pressure of leading a team around getting to him or just a blip?

Miscellaneous
Jordy Raps. What a character. That game looked just like his first few games in green where he tore around like the Tasmanian Devil ripping into things but with such fury that half the time he'd be going too hard at the ball when he got there or the ball would just spin out of his hands as he tried to palm off 4 people at once.

That was the literal opposite of having CNK at FB. Jeebus Christ.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Best example of misleading tackle stats was when Fox showed Darius Boyd had a 94% tackle efficiency rating. All that showed was that he could actually tackle when he attempted it. Standing in no man's land taking nobody doesn't show up on any stat sheet.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Northern Raider wrote: August 2, 2020, 8:56 am

Agreed NR. To that extent, in this case I formed my opinion about Hodgo this season becore seeing the stats in this chart.

Hodgo's missed tackle numbers really stand out among all the hookers. I know he's the bloke that often leads the linespeed in defence, but in plenty of cases he was ineffective or completely missed his target (which isn't captured in the stats).
Chicka Chicka Chicka
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Chicka Chicka Chicka »

LastRaider wrote: August 2, 2020, 7:15 am
greeneyed wrote:As for Curtis Scott sshhssing the critics... if that is indeed what he meant... I daresay he needs to score more than one try, before he gets the right to do stuff like that. In fact, I don't think think it is a good look for any NRLplayer to do be doing stuff like that. Continue to be disappointed with his outlook. Needs to pull up his socks.
I agree GE, and he was lucky it was just a knock on earlier in the game that he made too. He ran out of the Line in no mans land and got lucky as it was almost a try if the Cowboys player caught the ball. As for his antics, it’s not a Raiders thing to do

I agree too. I cringed when he did it, very poor look. Just looked like a knob.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

kona_dream wrote: August 2, 2020, 6:11 am Jarrod has had a few balls lost/stripped stepping back to the inside in a try scoring situation. I know he is trying to make himself “small”. But his ball carrying arm lifts and comes away from his body. He doesn’t have good control in that position, something he needs to work on.
I actually thought the same thing- I've noticed it happen once or twice before on exactly that slice inside to get a run at the line (GF?). It's the kind of detail that absolutely would be picked up and drilled on in NFL for a ball carrier, where you have one job and absolutely must do it perfectly.

I'm not so sure it even gets picked up on by NRL coaches.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Chicka Chicka Chicka wrote: August 2, 2020, 11:22 am
And when are these damn kids going to get off our god damn lawns, right?! :P
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Seiffert82 wrote: August 2, 2020, 8:50 am

Thanks GG, that's a really interesting chart! Obviously doesn't surprise me at all from what I've seen this season.

Hodgson was outstanding in defence last year at the back end. This year not as good. It looked like he was rushing out searching for early contact so that he didn't get hit being passive and carried backward 5m giving the other team a march on.

Worth noting also that when I went over to foxsports labs to check some stats- Hodgo misses double what some other hookers miss but it's still only 4 per game. Plenty of line break causes though, about 0.5 per game which isn't terrible but not good either.

He's only played 9 games but still hanging around the top end for line break assists, try assists, 40/20 etc.

Defensively he had developed his style of jumping high onto the ball and wrapping it up while others came to assist (hence the steals if they peel off). But you get pushed off more often going up high. If his lateral movement (never great) declines even more after this latest knee he'll get found out by some of these zippy locks.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Botman wrote: August 2, 2020, 11:28 am
Chicka Chicka Chicka wrote: August 2, 2020, 11:22 am
And when are these damn kids going to get off our god damn lawns, right?! :P
Let your football do the talking. It’s an old one but a good one.

These sort of gestures to the crowd are for Addin Fonua-Blake, not Raiders players.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

BadnMean wrote: August 2, 2020, 11:36 am
Seiffert82 wrote: August 2, 2020, 8:50 am

Hodgson was outstanding in defence last year at the back end. This year not as good. It looked like he was rushing out searching for early contact so that he didn't get hit being passive and carried backward 5m giving the other team a march on.

Worth noting also that when I went over to foxsports labs to check some stats- Hodgo misses double what some other hookers miss but it's still only 4 per game. Plenty of line break causes though, about 0.5 per game which isn't terrible but not good either.

He's only played 9 games but still hanging around the top end for line break assists, try assists, 40/20 etc.

Defensively he had developed his style of jumping high onto the ball and wrapping it up while others came to assist (hence the steals if they peel off). But you get pushed off more often going up high. If his lateral movement (never great) declines even more after this latest knee he'll get found out by some of these zippy locks.
Yeah, I thought he was really good at the end of last season too. I was looking forward to him turning things around in general by the end of the season.

He wasn't horrendous by any stretch, but the eye test showed he was clearly not at his best before getting injured. Kinda ironic that's the way he did his knee.