7%
Cowboys 13+
No votes

Total votes: 14

greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: 2020 Rd 12 V Cowboys: Game Day

Post by greeneyed »

The surface at Townsville was absolutely disgraceful. There is absolutely no reason or excuse for it either. The ground is brand new, it has a game, on average, every two weeks... and it is in a climate that barely experiences winter. It is dangerous right now, and we're lucky we avoided injuries. (Fingers crossed.)
amiafish
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Past: Ricky Stuart Present: Xavier Savage

Post by amiafish »

greeneyed wrote: August 1, 2020, 8:46 pm As for Curtis Scott sshhssing the critics... if that is indeed what he meant... I daresay he needs to score more than one try, before he gets the right to do stuff like that. In fact, I don't think think it is a good look for any NRLplayer to do be doing stuff like that. Continue to be disappointed with his outlook. Needs to pull up his socks.
Do you know the story of the frog and the scorpion? Ricky is the frog and Scott is the scorpion.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Kryptonite wrote: August 1, 2020, 8:36 pm
Rickmando wrote: August 1, 2020, 8:01 pm Raiders are borderline unwatchable this season. This week it’s another set of fresh excuses for them (away game, humidity, blah blah). Seriously if any of you are watching that and feel like there is anything resembling the execution you’d expect of a professional football team with the football, then good grief you’re beyond help.

Gritty defence etc etc that’s great but if they don’t start showing something with the ball then we are just making up numbers this year
I dont know what your on about?
They followed Ricky’s the game plan to perfection
“Just get out there and Bleed Green for 80 minutes!”
We've got like 7 players out injured and haven't had the same lineup all season. It's nowhere near perfect, but adjusting to no Hodgo and bringing new players in and out of the team has been huge for us.
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

greeneyed wrote: August 1, 2020, 8:46 pm As for Curtis Scott sshhssing the critics... if that is indeed what he meant... I daresay he needs to score more than one try, before he gets the right to do stuff like that. In fact, I don't think think it is a good look for any NRLplayer to do be doing stuff like that. Continue to be disappointed with his outlook. Needs to pull up his socks.
I’ve already seen one media outlet claiming his game tonight as a “Redemption story”... talk about hyperbole.

He’s got a long way to go to balance the ledger, given how putrid he has been for us so far
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Post by Neeeegz »

I actually think hodgo was playing like ****. Much more upside with our two hookers at the moment, injuries aside, we will give a good show against Penrith next week, that will be the benchmark or where we are at
Johno
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Johno »

Soon as he did the ssshhh thing I thought similar, your way behind on credits Curtis and one try is far from enough.

Just knuckle down and deliver more, had a good game but nothing spectacular, 2 times he should have done better.

It kinda shows his attitude
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Neeeegz wrote: August 1, 2020, 8:58 pm I actually think hodgo was playing like ****. Much more upside with our two hookers at the moment, injuries aside, we will give a good show against Penrith next week, that will be the benchmark or where we are at
Yes, we were becoming far too predictable in attack with Hodgo dominating the ball. I enjoy what Havili and Starling are bringing, although neither are anywhere as good as Hodgson.

The issue for us now is Wighton taking on Hodgson's problem of overplaying the ball. He basically made the left hand attack useless in this game. I'm not sure if the indigenous round got to his head but it's not good enough.
amiafish
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Past: Ricky Stuart Present: Xavier Savage

Post by amiafish »

Seiffert82 wrote: August 1, 2020, 9:04 pm Yes, we were becoming far too predictable in attack with Hodgo dominating the ball. I enjoy what Havili and Starling are bringing, although neither are anywhere as good as Hodgson.
That's actually not as straightforward an issue as people might think IMHO. On paper, Hodgo is head and shoulders above them. But that's assuming he's at his best, and maybe a few years younger. Hodgo is not as sharp as he used to be (can't blame him, as he's passed 30 now), and his defense of late has been appalling. That's not to mention his inability to adjust to the reality that having Jack and George in the side means that he's not the Alpha ball player all the time.

At this stage in their careers, I would rather have Havili and Starling, I really would. That's not to say that I wouldn't welcome a fully fit and fresh Hodgo back into the side...but is that a realistic prospect going forward? Food for thought.
Last edited by amiafish on August 1, 2020, 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Johno wrote:
Soon as he did the ssshhh thing I thought similar, your way behind on credits Curtis and one try is far from enough.

Just knuckle down and deliver more, had a good game but nothing spectacular, 2 times he should have done better.

It kinda shows his attitude
Yep. Still not impressed.
Heisenberg
Noa Nadruku
Favourite Player: Shaun Fensom

Post by Heisenberg »

Let’s all agree that was horrible to watch and end this thread.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

He pulled his socks up tonight. And certianly one sunny day does not make a summer, so we'll see.

The look is whatever it is, if you dont personally like it, thats fine. To me, i did like it, because as misplaced as it is (and to be clear, it is at this stage, misplaced), confidnece is a huge part of the game and i was happy to see him get a little bounce back on that front, and his play improve off the back of it.

It's a start. Nothing more. But a start. He contributed positvely to the footy team tonight
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

At fulltime I just shrugged.

As the skipper said last week, 2 points are 2 points. I really couldn't give a **** how we get them (though a few less heart attack finishes would be nice). We fly home with the win and that's all that matters.

Yeah, it was ugly and scrappy and we made too many mistakes. But we won.

Also, considering that's a brand spanking new stadium, that playing surface is absolute GARBAGE.

Now let's just hope the boys got home before the fog, because I don't want to know what our backup plan is given that greater Sydney is declared a hotspot.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Old School Green
Dean Lance

Post by Old School Green »

Let’s give him some credit. Last week he was death rided by everyone; he was being shipped off to the dogs with a good riddance; he had rumours of blow ups with players spread; people questioning injury validity; worse signing since Orford etc.
Tonight he plays his best game in green in his first game back from getting dropped for no confidence. His try (with work to do) wins us the game. He celebrates and says shhhh to those death riding him.
And still he can’t win. Haters gonna hate I guess. Almost as if some people wanted him to fail and when he didn’t they have to find something else to get stuck into him about. How about well played Curtis and good on you for showing some good form.
87, 89, 90, 91, 94, 19
I was there. Go the Milk !!
Stumpy
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Josh Papalli

Post by Stumpy »

I’m personally still on the fence on Scott, and I have no context around his form or off field state at the time, but Scott has done the Shhh! Try celebration before at least once and possibly more so there’s a small chance there’s more being read into it (or not, don’t care, just saying).

https://www.facebook.com/nrl/videos/124 ... TuLee3DJkF
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Old School Green wrote: August 1, 2020, 9:36 pm And still he can’t win.
he has not right to win right now
as i said previously, one sunny day doesnt make a summer. He's got to back this effort up with another 2-3-4-5-6 efforts
That's how it works. You put yourself in serious debt, you have to work much harder to dig yourself out.

The jury is very much still out. But this was a good start. 2 tries tonight scored and he played a strong role in both of them. He didnt make any egregious error defensively though he'll be tested more thoroughly next week.

I dont think it's right to criticise him for tonight, nor do i think its right to criticise posters who arent ready to forgive and forget.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

I'll definitely give Scott some credit, that was a much better performance tonight, he looked stronger.

It doesn't balance the ledger yet, but it's a positive step.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

I'm was surprised at the size of CHN. Looks bigger in the green than in the white and blue. Going to be a demon running a hard line at an angle.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

amiafish wrote: August 1, 2020, 9:11 pm
Seiffert82 wrote: August 1, 2020, 9:04 pm Yes, we were becoming far too predictable in attack with Hodgo dominating the ball. I enjoy what Havili and Starling are bringing, although neither are anywhere as good as Hodgson.
That's actually not as straightforward an issue as people might think IMHO. On paper, Hodgo is head and shoulders above them. But that's assuming he's at his best, and maybe a few years younger. Hodgo is not as sharp as he used to be (can't blame him, as he's passed 30 now), and his defense of late has been appalling. That's not to mention his inability to adjust to the reality that having Jack and George in the side means that he's not the Alpha ball player all the time.

At this stage in their careers, I would rather have Havili and Starling, I really would. That's not to say that I wouldn't welcome a fully fit and fresh Hodgo back into the side...but is that a realistic prospect going forward? Food for thought.
I agree. The way Hodgson was playing, I thought the addition of Havili and Starling invigorated our season. You're right about Hodgo's defence too. He was shocking at times, rushing out of the line, leaving big holes in the middle and missing tackles. It really wasn't good.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

zim wrote: August 1, 2020, 9:49 pm I'm was surprised at the size of CHN. Looks bigger in the green than in the white and blue. Going to be a demon running a hard line at an angle.
He looked short of a gallop and quite frankly he owns a peice of the Lolo try, but he was eager (too eager) and i think he looked a real threat

He's not JB, but he's a really good hole runner. He'll be good for us once he's got his game speed back
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

Apologies if this has already been raised, but can anyone explain to me why their initial captains challenge was successful. When rapana touched the ball with his back his foot was on the sideline which meant he was touch in goal. The video ref acknowledged that and then said the challenge was successful... Its almost like they don't know the rules unless the rules changed in the past couple of weeks after tedesco made a ball go dead doing the exact same thing.. while it was only 1 decision it meant that they retained their captain challenge and they shouldnt have been able to lodge as challenge at the death.. kills me how bad the bunker is
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Yes we weren't fluent today, but I like the toughness I'm seeing in this side. We are a lot better than we were 6 or 7 weeks ago, still plenty of room for improvement too. I think we will be ok next week and give a good account of ourselves, we do tend to lift ourselves for the better opponents
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

Botman wrote: August 1, 2020, 9:56 pm
zim wrote: August 1, 2020, 9:49 pm I'm was surprised at the size of CHN. Looks bigger in the green than in the white and blue. Going to be a demon running a hard line at an angle.
He looked short of a gallop and quite frankly he owns a peice of the Lolo try, but he was eager (too eager) and i think he looked a real threat

He's not JB, but he's a really good hole runner. He'll be good for us once he's got his game speed back
Spot on. Today was all about giving him some match fitness. He def contributed to JTs try but he'll be better for the run
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

FROG wrote: August 1, 2020, 9:56 pm Apologies if this has already been raised, but can anyone explain to me why their initial captains challenge was successful. When rapana touched the ball with his back his foot was on the sideline which meant he was touch in goal. The video ref acknowledged that and then said the challenge was successful... Its almost like they don't know the rules unless the rules changed in the past couple of weeks after tedesco made a ball go dead doing the exact same thing.. while it was only 1 decision it meant that they retained their captain challenge and they shouldnt have been able to lodge as challenge at the death.. kills me how bad the bunker is
Identical scenario in the earlier game. Tedesco chasing a kick knocked it back into a Titans player who was already dead in goal. Bunker deemed that dead off Roosters and called 20m restart. In our game it was given a drop out. They can't both be correct calls.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Azza wrote: August 1, 2020, 9:57 pm Yes we weren't fluent today, but I like the toughness I'm seeing in this side. We are a lot better than we were 6 or 7 weeks ago, still plenty of room for improvement too. I think we will be ok next week and give a good account of ourselves, we do tend to lift ourselves for the better opponents
We played like **** with a few major changes pregame and in game and got 2 points
We sucked but we move on

I think we'll be UP for the panthers game. We'll see if that means we win, but i dont think they're going to **** all over us.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

We certainly weren’t at our best and plenty of players were a bit off their best.

But I have to appreciate the hard chases and extra efforts of Whitehead, JB, Papa, Rapana, Lui and Wighton. There the little extras required to win when you’re not at your best.

Each of those players put in an extra hard chase or followed up in cover to clean up a missed tackle.

I particularly remember Lui twice diving in to grab Toumololo’s legs just when he looked like he might start to kick out of the tackle or make an offload. A couple of Jacks kick chases were excellent too.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Botman wrote: August 1, 2020, 9:56 pm

Yeah he defended that try like a second rower when he turned in not expecting the ball to be coming back, instead of maintaining the line. Fixed it later though.
Sure hope we've got a better interchange plan set up for next game than we used in this one.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Botman wrote: August 1, 2020, 10:04 pm
Azza wrote: August 1, 2020, 9:57 pm Yes we weren't fluent today, but I like the toughness I'm seeing in this side. We are a lot better than we were 6 or 7 weeks ago, still plenty of room for improvement too. I think we will be ok next week and give a good account of ourselves, we do tend to lift ourselves for the better opponents
We played like **** with a few major changes pregame and in game and got 2 points
We sucked but we move on

I think we'll be UP for the panthers game. We'll see if that means we win, but i dont think they're going to **** all over us.
I think it was pretty telling we went up a gear every time the cows scored then went back down again after we got in front. There'll be a definite step up for the panthers game.
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

Stuart said there was an injury to Semi. Hopefully not too serious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Rick wrote: August 1, 2020, 10:17 pm Stuart said there was an injury to Semi. Hopefully not too serious.
Well that explains the odd interchanges.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

zim wrote: August 1, 2020, 10:14 pm
Botman wrote: August 1, 2020, 10:04 pm
We sucked but we move on

I think it was pretty telling we went up a gear every time the cows scored then went back down again after we got in front. There'll be a definite step up for the panthers game.
I think it's real thing for us this year, this game felt to me as a fan that we could lose it (and i guess by virtue of the scoreline, that was fair) but i dont know that the team ever felt that. As said, they kind of play down to the level of competition which leaves at the mercy of getting our pants pulled down

I think this panthers game is big game for us. I think we'll win.

But i've been wrong many times before so who knows
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

Good to get the win. A few points:

* Bateman was immense - do not underestimate how hard it is to perform like that after the amount of time he had out. I said it in the Bateman thread when it became clear he was leaving - those pretending this guy isn’t a world class player are delusional. He gives us good options on both sides (when the left side is firing), makes a stack of metres and does a lot of work in defence. CHN is a great purchase, but he won’t be anywhere close to Bateman in terms of influence, on this side.
* The Velemi injury definitely hurt our attack on that side. CHN wasn’t running the same lines as Whitehead, and we lacked cohesiveness as a result. Rapana wasn’t making it for the sweep play.
* Rapana had an up and down night, but he is so fun to watch. All effort. Still - happy to get CNK back next week. Hopefully he is fresh with the week off.
* Happy for Scott, he needs to keep his head down and working hard. Bateman helps.
* Again I hate “ref‘s faulting”, but we got some horrible calls today. The “not played at” when the Cowboys player jumped (which we had go against us against the Eels). The successful Cowboys challenge where the offload was clearly forward. A couple of other forward passes let go. The Lui “offside” defied belief, it wasn’t even close. Even the Feldt strip on Croker was clearly an attempt to strip the ball. There were a couple of times (one with Bateman in particular), where we were pushed back when attempting to play the ball, with no “6 again” call. Cummins is a horrible ref.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

On Curtis Scott, I reckon most want him to succeed but our history with him was that he went out with our players, had a few too many, got put into a cab to go back to his room but decided on a diversion which saw him have contact with police. That started him on the wrong foot. He then played 2 matches which were ok as an NRL center but nothing outstanding. Since returning from the Covid break he has been terrible to the point of losing all confidence. The Coach stood him down. Bellamy had to make the same decision in May last year. Sticky made the right call imo. Scott has had one match back and scored a good try but he has a long way to go to balance the ledger. To be fair, not many players looked comfortable in tonights conditions. Next week he gets another chance against the likes of Kikau and Crichton.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Rick wrote: August 1, 2020, 10:17 pm Stuart said there was an injury to Semi. Hopefully not too serious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Really pleased to hear that
Not for Semi, just that how it panned out wasnt the plan

Showed that Julian and others were right in saying with CHN, Whitehead and Bateman in the team we dont need to carry a back. We can deal
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Northern Raider wrote:
FROG wrote: August 1, 2020, 9:56 pm Apologies if this has already been raised, but can anyone explain to me why their initial captains challenge was successful. When rapana touched the ball with his back his foot was on the sideline which meant he was touch in goal. The video ref acknowledged that and then said the challenge was successful... Its almost like they don't know the rules unless the rules changed in the past couple of weeks after tedesco made a ball go dead doing the exact same thing.. while it was only 1 decision it meant that they retained their captain challenge and they shouldnt have been able to lodge as challenge at the death.. kills me how bad the bunker is
Identical scenario in the earlier game. Tedesco chasing a kick knocked it back into a Titans player who was already dead in goal. Bunker deemed that dead off Roosters and called 20m restart. In our game it was given a drop out. They can't both be correct calls.
And then the strip which Croker challenged. His hand grabbed at the ball and pulled it out but there was no intent Image

Tough game to watch. Panthers are due for a loss judging on there wins the last two weeks - excluding tonight when they were very good.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
greeneyed
Don Furner

2020 Rd 12 V Cowboys: Game Day

Post by greeneyed »

Botman wrote:
He pulled his socks up tonight. And certianly one sunny day does not make a summer, so we'll see.

The look is whatever it is, if you dont personally like it, thats fine. To me, i did like it, because as misplaced as it is (and to be clear, it is at this stage, misplaced), confidnece is a huge part of the game and i was happy to see him get a little bounce back on that front, and his play improve off the back of it.

It's a start. Nothing more. But a start. He contributed positvely to the footy team tonight
I can understand some might excuse it... because they’re hoping it adds to confidence. Some coaches might excuse it. I don’t think they should. It isn’t the sort of rubbish I want to see at our club. He might have pulled his socks up... but they fell down pretty quickly. No club should encourage stuff like that IMO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk