The Television Thread

Discuss music, movies, TV shows and video games

Moderator: GH Moderators

FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Re: The Television Thread

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Dr Zaius wrote:The Chris Lilley ones should be taken down for crimes against comedy.
Yeah, that I 100% agree with. Tropic Thunder I’m on the fence on, because to me it was making fun of Method Actors, and the obscene things they do for their craft... but I know I’m not the right person to be putting an opinion on it.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Late into season two of Love Island UK on Nine Now. Not as good as season one... but there are some gems.

“I never expected that coming to Love Island that I would leave with a girlfriend.”

Why did you go!?
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past: Daley
Present: Strange

Post by Dusty »

I’ve not long got into ‘Billions’ on Stan. Just starting season 2. It’s quite enjoyable

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote:The Chris Lilley ones should be taken down for crimes against comedy.
Yeah, that I 100% agree with. Tropic Thunder I’m on the fence on, because to me it was making fun of Method Actors, and the obscene things they do for their craft... but I know I’m not the right person to be putting an opinion on it.
Is this the end of satire? There is even a scene in the movie where Downey Jr reacts to Stillers 'you people' comment and the real black man reacts to it. Some of these shows should just be looked upon as 'a moment in time' sort of thing.

Which episode/s of Fawlty towers have been banned?

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

It was one where Cleese is making fun of Germans, and doing the Goosestep. I think it's since been re-added
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

It’s interesting that in the early 70s shows like Monty Python and The Goodies were made up of left wing students who took the Mickey out of a lot of racial stereotypes.

Problem is what broke down barriers about 50 years ago, looks weird and out of place now.

Unfortunately it’s hard to see these shows in their original context.

The Goodies A Part Height (a joke on apartheid and treating short people unequally) and an episode about the Black and White minstrel show would seem terrible by today’s standards.
hrundi89
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by hrundi89 »

I've read a recent overall review rating each of The Goodies episodes.

They made a point of being confused by the fact that the South African episode is very much anti-racism but a few other episodes indulged in "classic" blackface and other forms of racist traditions in white culture, not to mention sexism and a dash of homophobia.

It was my favourite show as a child and you can allow a bit of slack but some stuff just isn't appropriate in this day and age.
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

hrundi89 wrote:I've read a recent overall review rating each of The Goodies episodes.

They made a point of being confused by the fact that the South African episode is very much anti-racism but a few other episodes indulged in "classic" blackface and other forms of racist traditions in white culture, not to mention sexism and a dash of homophobia.

It was my favourite show as a child and you can allow a bit of slack but some stuff just isn't appropriate in this day and age.
Yes that is true.

But worth noting “The Goodies” usually came at these issues from the opposite side to shows such as Love thy Neighbour, Ain’t half hot mum, or Benny Hill etc.

I’d hate people think that The Goodies were an awful show that consistently made inappropriate fun of people.

Other than Thatcher, Royals and Lancastrian Black pudding eaters.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:It was one where Cleese is making fun of Germans, and doing the Goosestep. I think it's since been re-added
Who was that offensive to? Germans?
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Dr Zaius wrote:
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:It was one where Cleese is making fun of Germans, and doing the Goosestep. I think it's since been re-added
Jews, he's imitating Hitler

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

-TW- wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote:
Jews, he's imitating Hitler

Does he? It's been years since I've seen it, but I don't remember that.

Apparently due to racist slurs:
"What has likely led to UKTV's decision, however, is a conversation between Basil Fawlty (Cleese) and the hotel's ailing permanent resident, Major Gowen (Ballard Berkeley), in which the Major uses a series of racist slurs in an anecdote about the West Indies cricket team."

Fair enough.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Ah I didn't remember that.

I just remember him putting his finger under his nose and marching like Hitler

Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

The Hitler thing is interesting. There appears to be a fine line. The Matty Johns show cardboard cut out in the stands got a massive backlash. Prince Harry attending a costume party years ago as hilter caused a massive stir. But what about movies like Jojo Rabbit? Great movie, no one seemed up set. Ultimately it's not up to me to tell marginalised groups what they should and shouldn't be offended by. But gee I'd hate to be in the entertainment industry trying to navigate some of this.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Dr Zaius wrote: July 8, 2020, 6:31 am The Hitler thing is interesting. There appears to be a fine line. The Matty Johns show cardboard cut out in the stands got a massive backlash. Prince Harry attending a costume party years ago as hilter caused a massive stir. But what about movies like Jojo Rabbit? Great movie, no one seemed up set. Ultimately it's not up to me to tell marginalised groups what they should and shouldn't be offended by. But gee I'd hate to be in the entertainment industry trying to navigate some of this.
Yeah that last line sums it up to me
For mine if a marginalised group feels offended then that's up to them and the companies in control of that content to act with the times.

What i can't get around is this sort of thing of going through the back catalogue and finding "problematic" material from 5, 10, 20 years ago. Especially in comedy... the idea of comedy is the push the boundaries of the time, but those boundaries change, and whilst we can look back on those times with some regrets, I don't know that a comedian who had a bit that did well in 1995 needs to be dragged for it today because it doesn't fit with the boundaries of 2020.

I don't know who that serves and what good it does. If they're running that same material now by all means. But i don't know, i think entertainers broadly and comedians especially are always working off what is right now, so that their content is relevant to the audience now.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Yeah I think I'm on board with the both of you. It's why I find Tropic Thunder another one that's hard, because the joke isn't in RDJ doing black face, but its satire of the lengths method actors go to for their craft. I'm just a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude. That said, Im a white guy in my 30's, so its not my place to judge whether its offensive.

I agree with you about people scrounging through archives and judging people on jokes they made in the past. As you said, entertainers and comedians tell stories of what is relevant at that point in time. Its not exactly the same, but its why shows like Friends won't work if they get rebooted, because the themes they dealt with in the 90's aren't relevant anymore.

Then on the other end of the spectrum, you have Rodney Rude and Kevin ****** Wilson who haven't changed their act for 40 years, complaining that they can't get gigs and that the classic aussie larrikan is dead

Nickman's love of NSW
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

I’m concerned by a 14th century court jester who made fun of serfs and peasants.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Just got to the end of Love Island UK Season 3. Here comes Season 4! I shouldn't like this, but I can't help it! It's compulsive viewing.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: July 13, 2020, 11:28 pm Just got to the end of Love Island UK Season 3. Here comes Season 4! I shouldn't like this, but I can't help it! It's compulsive viewing.
Y'all better strap in for Bachy Paradise

My boi Keiran gonna get this thing going
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Botman wrote:
greeneyed wrote: July 13, 2020, 11:28 pm Just got to the end of Love Island UK Season 3. Here comes Season 4! I shouldn't like this, but I can't help it! It's compulsive viewing.

Keiran pfft... Jamie all the way

Nickman's love of NSW
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Just heard there’s a Walker, Texas Ranger reboot coming next year. It’s being done by CW and has Jared Padalecki playing Walker.

Looking at the cast, it has a bit of a Supernatural flair. I’m looking forward to it.

Nickman's love of NSW
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: July 16, 2020, 9:00 pm
Botman wrote:

Keiran pfft... Jamie all the way
Ya boi was sobbing about Timm leaving and then had the audcity to say he couldnt think of an embarrassing moment

He's absolutely ridiculous. I love him
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

When he first rocked up on Bachelorette and gave Angie the Lab Pup, then realised she was fixated on the dog and not listening to him, I knew he was gonna be good.

Hasn’t been failing since

Nickman's love of NSW
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Jamie is the most pathetic human being i've ever laid eyes on in reality tv, that dude was fighting back tears because Timm left the island for a NIGHT for a wedding... My wife, mother of my two children leaves for conferences a number of times a year for 1-2 weeks and i dont get that upset about it. Nor do my 4 and 6 year old children

Its great haha
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Anyone seen Dark on Netflix? Excellent German show about a boy that goes missing in similar circumstances to a disappearance 33 years ago. If you do watch it, put the phone down, laptop away, and kids in bed... you’ll need to concentrate to follow this one.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

the bone wrote: July 28, 2020, 10:30 am Anyone seen Dark on Netflix? Excellent German show about a boy that goes missing in similar circumstances to a disappearance 33 years ago. If you do watch it, put the phone down, laptop away, and kids in bed... you’ll need to concentrate to follow this one.
Might have to give it a viewing. Rates 8.8 on IMDB which is upper echelon stuff.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Northern Raider wrote: July 28, 2020, 10:50 am
the bone wrote: July 28, 2020, 10:30 am Anyone seen Dark on Netflix? Excellent German show about a boy that goes missing in similar circumstances to a disappearance 33 years ago. If you do watch it, put the phone down, laptop away, and kids in bed... you’ll need to concentrate to follow this one.
Might have to give it a viewing. Rates 8.8 on IMDB which is upper echelon stuff.
Do it NR! It will fill at least some of the void until NFL (hopefully) starts
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Yeah we’re about 5 eps into Season 3. Love it, it’s a mind melt, but I’m really enjoying it.

I’ve been watching it, wondering how on earth the writers came up with this. Moments that were meaningless and insignificant in Season 1 are having meaning in Season 3

Nickman's love of NSW
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: July 28, 2020, 5:59 pm Yeah we’re about 5 eps into Season 3. Love it, it’s a mind melt, but I’m really enjoying it.

I’ve been watching it, wondering how on earth the writers came up with this. Moments that were meaningless and insignificant in Season 1 are having meaning in Season 3
I think the writers must’ve had the full story planned out before starting... it comes together too well for me to believe otherwise
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

the bone wrote: July 29, 2020, 12:50 pm
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: July 28, 2020, 5:59 pm Yeah we’re about 5 eps into Season 3. Love it, it’s a mind melt, but I’m really enjoying it.

I think the writers must’ve had the full story planned out before starting... it comes together too well for me to believe otherwise
Watched the first episode last night. Feels like a grittier version of Stranger Things. Looking forward to the rest.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Yeah that’s a pretty accurate description NR. I see it as a bit of a Stranger Things meets Lost

Nickman's love of NSW
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: July 29, 2020, 5:56 pm Yeah that’s a pretty accurate description NR. I see it as a bit of a Stranger Things meets Lost
Better than both too. :)

Just finished season 1 and having a look at all the haircuts in the NRL and AFL I reckon the 33 year cycle is real.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Stay with me... I've been watching 911: Lone Star... and I'm actually enjoying it! It's network TV, but it is actually pretty good.

CGI does amazing things these days, but I'm not sure I've seen better CGI in a television show than tonight.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Just finished watching “Washington” on Foxtel. Three episodes, History Channel I think, really worth watching.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Just finished both seasons of Umbrella Academy on Netflix. It’s a good “Superhero” series, but not really superheroy... I’d compare it to a better Watchmen

Definitely worth the watch, and push through. The characters really come into their own from about episode 9 of the first season, and season 2 they’re in full swing.

Nickman's love of NSW