Corey Harawira-Naera signs with Raiders to end 2022

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Chachi
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Re: Corey Harawira-Naera set to join Raiders to end 2022

Post by Chachi »

The Nickman wrote: July 23, 2020, 2:41 pm Wait, wait... why is Seiff posting from multiple accounts in the same thread??
Oh yeah, I am too.

Switching from phone to a PC login seems to be the issue.

As you were.
Formerly seiffert82 :hi
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Noeasyday wrote: July 23, 2020, 2:43 pm
Botman wrote: July 23, 2020, 2:30 pm
Noeasyday wrote: July 23, 2020, 12:02 pm
Botman wrote: July 22, 2020, 7:01 pm "The nrlol website is saying that the terms of release haven't been agreed to yet.
There'd have to be some certain non negotiables such as Canberra pay his full contract, including back pay and that he can't play against us this year.
The club should then have a list of negotiable items such as player swap, corporate terms like gate takings at the next game in Canberra etc.
Ideally we get a player back, Emre Guler, Corey Horsborough or Hudson Young would be realistic aims."

Gate takings! :lol:
Guler, Hors and Young realistic aims...
This is amazing

Those dudes dont get it. He wanted out, he got out. This is how this works now. They aint getting **** except for us not allowing him to play against them this year, and some cap space.
Hey Botman, this is actually my post from the kennel, glad to see you picked this post out of all the other quality posts you could have selected from.
From my perspective, I don't particularly care if CHN leaves and where he goes, however I would like to see the Doggies get some form of compensation be it a corporate agreement of cash or a player swap. I know it doesn't happen often but there has been a precedent set previously in similar situations. Steve Turner player swap between Storm and Titans and Ben Hannant's release to Brisbane involved sharing of gate takings.
In regards to CHN the player, he'll be a good buy for your club, plays predominantly on the right edge, runs a good line but has had issues defensively. He was one of our better players last year, which, let's be honest wasn't a difficult accolade to achieve.
There's a good read about his upbringing here, which gives you an idea why he doesn't always make good choices. He left Panthers under some controversy as well. https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... 6973bb4138
If he does end up at the Raiders I hope he matures as a person and adds some value to your team. I enjoy watching the style of footy the Raiders play, and have to admit I had a few green snags from Lindbeck's Butchers on gf day last year.
GATE TAKINGS!
You actually think you're going to get a % of our gate takings... Good **** grief.

This race has been run and lost, friend.
You're getting the right to not have to play against him in 2020 and salary cap space... That's what you're club is getting for CHN.

Do i like this system? No i dont. But as i've argued time and time again on this site, it is what it is and the toothpaste isnt going back in the tube. This is the player empowerment era. The players and clubs are now painfully aware who hold the power.

You're going to lose CHN for basically nothing despite being contracted.
And if your club has it their way, they'll be getting that young Burton kid from the Panthers for 2021 despite being contracted to the Panthers.
Swings and roundabouts friend.

Should the dogs get some compensation for CHN? Probably. But then we should probably get something back for developing Nick Cotric for 5 years only to see him leave at age 21. We've certainly invested more in him than the dogs did in CHN. So you want to talk compensation, lets talk about it.

Will they get compensation? No. You guys can forget your dreams of Starling or Tapine, or Guler, or Hors or any of that nonsense. The deal is done and he'll be coming to Canberra and all you'll get for the pleasure of that is to not play him this year and cap space.

Is it right and fair that this is how it is? Probably not. But a fair is a place they judge pigs. Life isn't fair. The workforce hold the power.

Is there anything at this stage that can be done about it? No. Not really.

Do i care that the Dogs are taking a hit here? Not at all.

Appreciate you taking the time to join and share your thoughts
Do I like that you ask yourself questions and then answer them? Yes I do.
There is something that can be done and that is we don't release him, do I think that will happen, no, because the Bulldogs board aren't strong enough to make that decision.
Am I happy with Cotric signing on for 2021? Yes, should we have to compensate you for developing a junior and then prizing him away with cold hard cash, no. I do think there should be some kind of cap concession for players that come through the junior pathways though.
At the end of the day CHN should be released, but as he's a contracted Bulldogs player we'd be mad to not be pushing to get something back. Be that a corporate agreement or player, either way I'd prefer that my clubs administration finally had the minerals to push back against player power.
If you enjoy that then I highly recommend you get into an argument with Botman when he's wrong but won't accept it. Thats when the real fun happens. :thumbsup
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

How would you know, NR?
You've never been in that spot.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Northern Raider wrote: July 23, 2020, 2:59 pm
The Nickman wrote: July 23, 2020, 2:41 pm Wait, wait... why is Seiff posting from multiple accounts in the same thread??
He forgot which account he logged in as. Not the first person to make that mistake here. ;)
Ah crap, I was still logged in to my Nickman account!

Hang on...
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Botman wrote: July 23, 2020, 2:53 pm There is nothing the dogs can do. They can push for something from us if they like... and we'll tell them we're not interested and just wait out the string until you guys do release him and we'll sign him then.
Unfortunately for your club, where you and many of the fans seem to be going wrong is assuming that because he's contracted to your club, that somehow that puts your into a position of power to dictate the terms of this.

It doesn't and your club has no power. It incorrectly sacked a man, did zero welfare checks on him, put out strongly worded statements condemning the guy. And then when he gets his termination overturned you want to pretend like he should just be thankful to have a job and continue on his merry way sacrificing his body for a club that proved it didnt give a **** about him?

And you think that is a position of power? Please. It's 2020, the players hold the power and in this circumstance, the dogs dont have a leg to stand on.

Your club has two options.

Release him now and move on with the job of rebuilding the club.
Or release him 2? 4? 6 months from now and move on with the job of rebuilding the club.

Either way he's coming to Canberra and you're not going to get anything for that. Both clubs and the player are aware of this. And so here we are, the dogs have agreed to release him, and he'll be playing for the raiders next weekend.
First 2 sentences summarise perfectly. That's exactly the scenario. Dogs can bargain all they like but there fighting this battle from the bottom of a mud filled trench.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Noeasyday
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Brad Clyde

Post by Noeasyday »

Northern Raider wrote: July 23, 2020, 3:07 pm
Noeasyday wrote: July 23, 2020, 2:43 pm
Botman wrote: July 23, 2020, 2:30 pm
Noeasyday wrote: July 23, 2020, 12:02 pm
Botman wrote: July 22, 2020, 7:01 pm "The nrlol website is saying that the terms of release haven't been agreed to yet.
There'd have to be some certain non negotiables such as Canberra pay his full contract, including back pay and that he can't play against us this year.
The club should then have a list of negotiable items such as player swap, corporate terms like gate takings at the next game in Canberra etc.
Ideally we get a player back, Emre Guler, Corey Horsborough or Hudson Young would be realistic aims."

Gate takings! :lol:
Guler, Hors and Young realistic aims...
This is amazing

Those dudes dont get it. He wanted out, he got out. This is how this works now. They aint getting **** except for us not allowing him to play against them this year, and some cap space.
Hey Botman, this is actually my post from the kennel, glad to see you picked this post out of all the other quality posts you could have selected from.
From my perspective, I don't particularly care if CHN leaves and where he goes, however I would like to see the Doggies get some form of compensation be it a corporate agreement of cash or a player swap. I know it doesn't happen often but there has been a precedent set previously in similar situations. Steve Turner player swap between Storm and Titans and Ben Hannant's release to Brisbane involved sharing of gate takings.
In regards to CHN the player, he'll be a good buy for your club, plays predominantly on the right edge, runs a good line but has had issues defensively. He was one of our better players last year, which, let's be honest wasn't a difficult accolade to achieve.
There's a good read about his upbringing here, which gives you an idea why he doesn't always make good choices. He left Panthers under some controversy as well. https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... 6973bb4138
If he does end up at the Raiders I hope he matures as a person and adds some value to your team. I enjoy watching the style of footy the Raiders play, and have to admit I had a few green snags from Lindbeck's Butchers on gf day last year.
GATE TAKINGS!
You actually think you're going to get a % of our gate takings... Good **** grief.

This race has been run and lost, friend.
You're getting the right to not have to play against him in 2020 and salary cap space... That's what you're club is getting for CHN.

Do i like this system? No i dont. But as i've argued time and time again on this site, it is what it is and the toothpaste isnt going back in the tube. This is the player empowerment era. The players and clubs are now painfully aware who hold the power.

You're going to lose CHN for basically nothing despite being contracted.
And if your club has it their way, they'll be getting that young Burton kid from the Panthers for 2021 despite being contracted to the Panthers.
Swings and roundabouts friend.

Should the dogs get some compensation for CHN? Probably. But then we should probably get something back for developing Nick Cotric for 5 years only to see him leave at age 21. We've certainly invested more in him than the dogs did in CHN. So you want to talk compensation, lets talk about it.

Will they get compensation? No. You guys can forget your dreams of Starling or Tapine, or Guler, or Hors or any of that nonsense. The deal is done and he'll be coming to Canberra and all you'll get for the pleasure of that is to not play him this year and cap space.

Is it right and fair that this is how it is? Probably not. But a fair is a place they judge pigs. Life isn't fair. The workforce hold the power.

Is there anything at this stage that can be done about it? No. Not really.

Do i care that the Dogs are taking a hit here? Not at all.

Appreciate you taking the time to join and share your thoughts
Do I like that you ask yourself questions and then answer them? Yes I do.
There is something that can be done and that is we don't release him, do I think that will happen, no, because the Bulldogs board aren't strong enough to make that decision.
Am I happy with Cotric signing on for 2021? Yes, should we have to compensate you for developing a junior and then prizing him away with cold hard cash, no. I do think there should be some kind of cap concession for players that come through the junior pathways though.
At the end of the day CHN should be released, but as he's a contracted Bulldogs player we'd be mad to not be pushing to get something back. Be that a corporate agreement or player, either way I'd prefer that my clubs administration finally had the minerals to push back against player power.
If you enjoy that then I highly recommend you get into an argument with Botman when he's wrong but won't accept it. Thats when the real fun happens. :thumbsup
Hahaha, there's plenty of Botman's in the kennel to keep me occupied.
I swear I saw him wave 6 again.
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

Where's RaidingZ when you need him
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Are we changing the title thread ?
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

-PJ- wrote: July 23, 2020, 3:33 pm Are we changing the title thread ?
"dogs fans demand gate takings as CHN signs with a side thats not a complete dumpster fire" please
Dont delete this GE
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

simo wrote: July 23, 2020, 3:41 pm
"dogs fans demand gate takings as CHN signs with a side thats not a complete dumpster fire" please
I was thinking drop the "set to join" and add "joins"

But..

Yours works.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Hahaha either that or "Botman argues with resident Raiders troll pretending to be Bulldogs fan"
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

The Nickman wrote: July 23, 2020, 3:11 pm
He forgot which account he logged in as. Not the first person to make that mistake here. ;)

Hang on...
Lucy says hi.

He says a lot of other **** too. But that word seemed to be relevant under the circumstances.
kona_dream
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by kona_dream »

I think it is only fair we pay the Dogs some gate takings. I think 100% of the gate from our round 4 and 6 home games should be adequate.
Dylan’s Raiders
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Dylan’s Raiders »

CHN “officially” released as bulldogs just issued a statement. Really hoping he can give us a bit of X factor that we’ve been missing since BJ and big Jonneh!
Crusader
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Crusader »

love this, this guy is an offloading Machine, and he can play 11. 12. 13. 4. 3. massive buy from the Raiders
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Seiffert82 wrote: July 23, 2020, 3:54 pm
The Nickman wrote: July 23, 2020, 3:11 pm

Hang on...
Lucy says hi.

He says a lot of other **** too. But that word seemed to be relevant under the circumstances.
I used to like it when Lucy would argue with himself via different accounts.
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

Officially released by the Dogs
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

OFFICIAL: Canterbury Bulldogs release forward Corey Harawira-Naera, clearing the way for him to join Canberra Raiders

Canberra are poised to land Bulldogs back-rower Corey Harawira-Naera for the next two-and-a-half years in the latest tit-for-tat signing between the rival clubs.

Canterbury officially released Harawira-Naera on Thursday, with the Raiders expected to confirm his signing until the end of 2022 imminently. Harawira-Naera would not be available to play against the Bulldogs when the two sides clash in round 16 under the terms of a proposed release.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/07/22/cot ... year-deal/

Canterbury Bulldogs club statement

The Canterbury Bulldogs would like to make the following statement on Corey Harawira-Naera and Jayden Okunbor.

"After discussions with both Jayden and Corey it has been agreed that Corey will leave the club and Jayden will stay at Belmore.

The club acknowledges that the original decision to de-register the two players was overturned by the NRL Appeals Committee.

This committee, which was headed by a former High Court Judge of Australia, made a ruling that stated that the players' contracts at the Bulldogs were binding and that the club was required to uphold these contracts.

As such, the club met with both Jayden and Corey in regard to resuming their contracts at Belmore.

Jayden expressed his desire to remain at Belmore and apologised unreservedly to the club and the wider rugby league community for the harm he had caused to all parties.

He has since undergone counselling as part of his rehabilitation and has pledged to offer his time to be involved in a full re-integration into the Bulldogs Community program.

Corey also apologised for his actions to all parties concerned, however, after further discussion with the player it was felt that in the best interests of both parties he get a fresh start away from Belmore.

Bulldogs Chair Lynne Anderson understood that this was a difficult process for all concerned:

"After the NRL Appeals Committee overturned the original de-registration of the players and stated the players' contracts be upheld, we sat down with both Corey and Jayden.

While we made it clear to both players that what had happened was unacceptable and had caused enormous harm to all involved, we also believed that it was important to have honest conversations with both Corey and Jayden.

Both were extremely contrite and understanding of the harm they had caused and apologised unreservedly.

At the end of those conversations it became clear that while Jayden very much wanted to be given a second chance at Belmore, it was in the best interests of both parties if Corey was given a release to make a fresh start somewhere else.

While we totally understand that the behaviour that took place was unacceptable, we also looked at the opportunity for a second chance and for the ability of the individuals to redeem themselves.

Jayden is a local junior who has been with the club since the U14's all the way through to our NRL squad. He has readily agreed to undergo further educational courses in this area and be part of a community program on his return to the club."

Canterbury Bulldogs club statement
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

I enjoyed the gate-takings comment. Do they realise that by the time we play the Dogs again there probably won't be crowds again?

Still don't like this. I'll never support him as a Raider. Think we're letting ourselves in for a world of problems when we willingly take on a player with known multiple disciplinary breaches and a disregard for club policy...
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I will say this... we don't normally approve posters who support other clubs... as that is why The GH was created. But noeasyday showed he was prepared to discuss things sensibly and put the view of a Bulldogs fan politely and with good humour. So thank you to noeasyday for that.

Personally, I think the Bulldogs got the best compensation they could possibly hope for... not using the player when the Raiders play the Dogs in 2020. That probably represents a favourable outcome for them, given CHN was never going to play for the club again, the Bulldogs effectively sacked him and then didn't ever communicate with him again until the Bulldogs were forced to reinstate the contract.
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Post by Cranky Old Man »

raiderskater wrote: July 23, 2020, 5:40 pm I enjoyed the gate-takings comment. Do they realise that by the time we play the Dogs again there probably won't be crowds again?

Still don't like this. I'll never support him as a Raider. Think we're letting ourselves in for a world of problems when we willingly take on a player with known multiple disciplinary breaches and a disregard for club policy...
He has to answer to Sia and Papa now, who was it at the Dogs?
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins

Post by Cranky Old Man »

The Nickman wrote: July 23, 2020, 1:44 pm
GMGT wrote: July 22, 2020, 7:40 pm
gergreg wrote: July 22, 2020, 7:36 pm
Raiders666 wrote:As if GMGT isn't nickman
Either him or billyt - but who can tell those two apart?

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk
Whatever happened to the great man Nickman? Did he get banned or suffer from mental illness due to dealing with the numpties on here for too long?
Oh, I'm still about, just enjoying watching you stick to all these *checks notes*… clowns.

Keep fighting the good fight!!
NICKMAN!! Glad to see that you are alive. Ive missed you.
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins

Post by Cranky Old Man »

greeneyed wrote: July 23, 2020, 5:48 pm I will say this... we don't normally approve posters who support other clubs... as that is why The GH was created. But noeasyday showed he was prepared to discuss things sensibly and put the view of a Bulldogs fan politely and with good humour. So thank you to noeasyday for that.

Personally, I think the Bulldogs got the best compensation they could possibly hope for... not using the player when the Raiders play the Dogs in 2020. That probably represents a favourable outcome for them, given CHN was never going to play for the club again, the Bulldogs effectively sacked him and then didn't ever communicate with him again until the Bulldogs were forced to reinstate the contract.
I enjoyed "noeasyday" posts, didn't agree withhis position but admired his passion and eloquence. It must be hard supporting a once great club brought low by Z grade management. There is a way out of his misery but I don'tknow if the Dogs have the intellectual wherewithall to take that path. The signing of Cotric tells me that they don't, their most desperate need is spine players and I don't see Cotric helping there. I would have been on the phone to Sezer for a temporary fix.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

greeneyed wrote: July 23, 2020, 5:48 pm I will say this... we don't normally approve posters who support other clubs... as that is why The GH was created. But noeasyday showed he was prepared to discuss things sensibly and put the view of a Bulldogs fan politely and with good humour. So thank you to noeasyday for that.

Yep, it's good to have other supporters on here she they can engage in decent discussion. Matty Storm was a good example.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Cranky Old Man wrote:

I enjoyed "noeasyday" posts, didn't agree withhis position but admired his passion and eloquence. It must be hard supporting a once great club brought low by Z grade management. There is a way out of his misery but I don'tknow if the Dogs have the intellectual wherewithall to take that path. The signing of Cotric tells me that they don't, their most desperate need is spine players and I don't see Cotric helping there. I would have been on the phone to Sezer for a temporary fix.
you mean cotrics best mate and former bulldog Aiden Sezer?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Cranky Old Man wrote: July 23, 2020, 6:26 pm
raiderskater wrote: July 23, 2020, 5:40 pm I enjoyed the gate-takings comment. Do they realise that by the time we play the Dogs again there probably won't be crowds again?

He has to answer to Sia and Papa now, who was it at the Dogs?
I think Willie Mason may have an honorary cultural role at the Dogs, Cranky. ;)
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

The Greenhouse don’t normally approve posters who support other clubs. But we definitely support posters who death ride the Raiders making you wonder if they want the club to succeed or not.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

raiderskater wrote: July 23, 2020, 5:40 pm Still don't like this. I'll never support him as a Raider. Think we're letting ourselves in for a world of problems when we willingly take on a player with known multiple disciplinary breaches and a disregard for club policy...
That is absolutely fair and reasonable. There is unquestionably an element of risk involved in this signing.
Not everyone is going to be on board with this.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Cranky Old Man wrote: July 23, 2020, 6:38 pm

1000% agree. That club has no idea what it's doing and it's a real shame for their fans... and one we can empathise with, it was not that long ago we were where they are now.
Thats a proud club with a proud fan base. They deserve better from their club.

i did enjoy getting a chuckle out of noseasyday's wishes for compensation here but i get it too, this is a guy whos sick of his club rolling over and continue to make poor decisions at every level. Lord knows we've been there!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

BJ wrote: July 23, 2020, 7:11 pm The Greenhouse don’t normally approve posters who support other clubs. But we definitely support posters who death ride the Raiders making you wonder if they want the club to succeed or not.
Not sure that’s fair as a headline BJ Mole!

The GH is a platform for Raiders fans to express their views. We don’t support any particular view... except on the very rare occasions the site says so publicly. Asking for the return of the club song is the last one I can remember.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Excellent signing. Good work Donald... now get in here shagger and give us a hug.
This place is woke.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

greeneyed wrote:
BJ wrote: July 23, 2020, 7:11 pm The Greenhouse don’t normally approve posters who support other clubs. But we definitely support posters who death ride the Raiders making you wonder if they want the club to succeed or not.
Not sure that’s fair as a headline BJ Mole!

The GH is a platform for Raiders fans to express their views. We don’t support any particular view... except on the very rare occasions the site says so publicly. Asking for the return of the club song is the last one I can remember.
Good ge. I’m Just firing a shot across the boughs of a few posters who seem to enjoy a loss more than a win.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Post by Neeeegz »

Chachi wrote: July 23, 2020, 3:01 pm
Oh yeah, I am too.

Switching from phone to a PC login seems to be the issue.

As you were.
Nice work botman
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

raiderskater wrote: July 23, 2020, 5:40 pmStill don't like this. I'll never support him as a Raider. Think we're letting ourselves in for a world of problems when we willingly take on a player with known multiple disciplinary breaches and a disregard for club policy...
Multiple breaches - is there any evidence of other issues apart from the incident in Port Macquarie?
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

He may have said the **** word or drank some devils water.
This place is woke.