North Queensland Cowboys 2020

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

North Queensland Cowboys 2020

Post by greeneyed »

North Queensland Cowboys: 2020 round 1 predicted team

NRL.com's predicted Cowboys round 1 team

1. Valentine Holmes
2. Kyle Feldt
3. Esan Marsters
4. Justin O'Neill
5. Ben Hampton
6. Scott Drinkwater
7. Michael Morgan
8. Jordan McLean
9. Jake Granville
10. Josh McGuire
11. Gavin Cooper
12. Shane Wright
13. Jason Taumalolo

14. John Asiata
15. Coen Hess
16. Reece Robson
17. Francis Molo

Others: Jake Clifford, Reuben Cotter, Mitchell Dunn, Tom Gilbert, Peter Hola, Corey Jensen, Connelly Lemuelu, Tom Opacic, Emry Pere, Daniel Russell, Tukimihia Simpkins, Murray Taulagi

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/12/23/nor ... cted-team/
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Re: North Queensland Cowboys 2020

Post by zim »

Id be starting Reece Robson.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Solid 1, 7 and 13.
Last edited by Seiffert82 on January 6, 2020, 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

Decent roster but I'm not sure Green is the man to lead them into a new era

Middle table, missing the 8
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Paul Green given the boot.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

North Queensland Cowboys coach Paul Green departs the club immediately

Paul Green has been axed as Cowboys coach effective immediately, bringing an end to his reign as one of the NRL’s longest-serving coaches.

“After seven years as head coach it is with a heavy heart that I make this announcement”, Green said in a statement.

“The Board felt that the club was at a juncture where they needed to move in a different direction, and I can only respect their views.”

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... fd9276041e

Green makes immediate exit from Cowboys: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/07/20/gre ... mediately/
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Mutually beneficial move IMO. Green can obviously coach. From that perspective taking Cowboys to the GF after losing Thurston mid season probably a bigger achievement than his Premiership win. I think he's just been there too long and both he and Cowboys need a fresh start.

Green to replace Seibold?
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

green rumours to coach the sharks a few weeks ago

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Who gets the NQ gig? Do the go for a known commodity like Anthony Griffin or give somebody new a go? Griffin not a bad option for them as a steadying influence. Not the kind of guy who's going to bring a new dynasty of success but his teams have always been highly competitive in the past.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Brent Read saying the coaching gig is a 5 way race between Ryles, Payton, Woolf, Griffin, Wane
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Green linked to the Broncos as well as the sharks
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Dr Zaius wrote:Green linked to the Broncos as well as the sharks
Warriors as well from 360 last night. Warriors CEO has hinted the coach they’ve signed for next year is high profile, with a year remaining on their contract.

Kent was saying that left Bennett or Green
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Didn't warriors sign walkers?

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Sid wrote: July 21, 2020, 8:08 pm Didn't warriors sign walkers?

No.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

greeneyed wrote:
Sid wrote: July 21, 2020, 8:08 pm Didn't warriors sign walkers?

No.
That's a shame

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Todd gets the nod: Cowboys name Payten as new coach

Todd Payten has been unveiled as the next North Queensland Cowboys coach with the club formally announcing his signature on a three-year deal from 2021 onwards on Friday.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/09/04/tod ... new-coach/

Cowboys name Payten head coach

The North Queensland Cowboys have today unveiled Todd Payten as the club’s next Head Coach on a three-year deal beginning in the 2021 season.

Payten was previously a member of the Cowboys coaching staff from 2015 to 2018, including as assistant coach for the club’s maiden premiership in 2015.

As a player, the 41-year-old appeared in 259 NRL games for the Raiders, Roosters and Wests Tigers, winning a premiership in 2005 with the Tigers.

Payten transitioned into coaching immediately after his playing career ended in 2011, coaching the Tigers NYC team to a grand final victory in 2012 and another finals appearance in 2013.

He progressed to an assistant coach role with the Tigers NRL side in 2014 before moving to the Cowboys the following season.

Payten departed North Queensland at the end of 2018 to take up an assistant coach role with the Warriors. In June he was named Interim Head Coach of the Warriors for the remainder of the 2020 season.

“We went through a thorough process and were thrilled with the large number of exceptional candidates who expressed interest in being the next Head Coach of our club. We are delighted to bring Todd back to North Queensland and believe he is the right choice to lead our club into an exciting new chapter,” Cowboys Chairman Lewis Ramsay said.

“His strong leadership abilities, the importance he places on culture and communication and the confidence he has in continuing to develop our playing group were all major factors in choosing Todd as our next Head Coach.”

CEO Jeff Reibel said the Cowboys had secured a high-quality coach with a thorough understanding of the club’s importance to the North Queensland community.

“We have been fortunate to secure the services of one of the best young coaches in the NRL. Todd has served his apprenticeship over many years, firstly at the Wests Tigers, here in North Queensland and finally at the Warriors,” Reibel said.

“He also understands here at the Cowboys we are more than just a rugby league club, he appreciates we are a community-focused club which brings the whole of North Queensland together.

“Todd has proved he is ready to be a Head Coach and we’re delighted to give him that opportunity at the North Queensland Toyota Cowboys.”

Payten said he and his family were thrilled to be returning to North Queensland.

“I am honoured to be appointed Head Coach of the North Queensland Toyota Cowboys. I’m excited for the opportunity which lies ahead for myself and my family. Returning to this club, town and region is something which makes us extremely happy,” Payten said.

“I see a huge amount of upside within the Cowboys organisation and it is my job to see that eventuate into results on the field. Developing the players within the club to be good footballers and good men along with playing a style of football our members and supporters can be proud of will be my main focus.”

North Queensland Cowboys media statement
Manchild
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Past: Brad Clyde
Present: Shaun Fensom

Post by Manchild »

Looks like the Hammer is in a bit of strife. Not good from what I hear

Edit: Gela-Mosby not the Hammer

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Manchild wrote: December 1, 2020, 9:48 pm Looks like the Hammer is in a bit of strife. Not good from what I hear

Edit: Gela-Mosby not the Hammer
Yep, wrong speed merchant. Gela-Mosby was a great example of speed only getting you so far at NRL level. Need a few more strings to your bow if you're playing 1st grade.