All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2020

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

Northern Raider wrote: July 19, 2020, 8:11 am
kiwi raider wrote: July 19, 2020, 7:42 am Hopefully he turns out better than our other Curtis, was always a fan of his when he was at the bulldogs, good mix of size pace and power and a very good finisher
Finishing was his forte from memory. Had a habit of knowing where to be at the right time. Didn’t he score like a thousand tries the year before he left?
23 in 2015 and 11 in 2016 for the Dogs. 25 games each season
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

Hard pass. We need more speed and preferably on the youthful side.
Not an overpaid Rugby flop who’s been out of the game too long.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Botman wrote:
gergreg wrote: July 18, 2020, 2:11 pm Ryan James is coming back after back to back serious knee injuries. Not an easy thing to do. I wouldn't mind seeing him play out his career at the Titans, he carried that team for a few years.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk
Ryan James is what earned JWH the nickname "Maria" until Robinson came on board and molded him into one of the best in the game. Got all the physical tools and should be a dominant middle third player, and in some games he is, but in most games he's nothing close to it.

Hard pass on James. Especially with the injuries you've outlined.
I'm assuming that was a sledge from James to JWH? God I hate the way he plays. He is mainly as successful as he is because of getting away with the raised elbows when he hits it up. Remember when this sort of tactic was penalised? Remember when TLL was penalised for raising the knees when making a hit up, because it was considered dangerous for the defender. The raised elbow is worse IMO.

Shoving it in your face since 2017
GMGT
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Johnny Bateman

Post by GMGT »

Colk wrote: July 18, 2020, 6:53 pm Would you rather run with Velemei, HSS, Timoko and Croker next year? That backline is seriously awful.
Why in the world would we be running with THAT backline. EDIT
Colk
Dean Lance

Post by Colk »

I would take either Rona or Korobeite in this market. Not a lot of other options out there; unless you take a hit and hope on some young player like Jason Saab, Caleb Aetkins for example.

I still think the biggest issue is finding an NRL standard centre. We can re-sign Rapana and Oldfield and with the kids that would be fine for wingers but we’ve no first grade centres other than Croker unless Timoko or HSS develop quicker than I expected
Colk
Dean Lance

Post by Colk »

GMGT wrote: July 19, 2020, 9:49 am
Colk wrote: July 18, 2020, 6:53 pm Would you rather run with Velemei, HSS, Timoko and Croker next year? That backline is seriously awful.
Because with the exception of Simonson that’s who we have under contract for next year.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

I wouldn’t bother finding an NRL standard centre. Not at the prohibitive cost compared to return ratio. Scott has to be given a chance despite his poor start at the club. Hopefully post Court case brings back his confidence.

I’d look for a young speedy winger who can finish. We can keep Rapana as back up (in the Oldfield role).

Save the majority of our coin for an edge forward and a prop who can take on a leadership role and help Papalli in battle, particularly as I see Sia not running around for much longer.
GMGT
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Johnny Bateman

Post by GMGT »

Colk wrote: July 19, 2020, 10:00 am
Because with the exception of Simonson that’s who we have under contract for next year.
And you've left Simonson out why? Just to try to make the backline look worse I'm assuming? 🤣🤦‍♂️
Colk
Dean Lance

Post by Colk »

GMGT wrote: July 19, 2020, 10:14 am
Colk wrote: July 19, 2020, 10:00 am
And you've left Simonson out why? Just to try to make the backline look worse I'm assuming? 🤣🤦‍♂️
😩 I realised it only after looking at it again. We have Kris (who is obviously experiencing some personal issues), Rapana and Oldfield off contract. We’ll have to sign a couple of players otherwise we’ll have no depth.
Colk
Dean Lance

Post by Colk »

GreenMachine wrote: July 19, 2020, 10:08 am I wouldn’t bother finding an NRL standard centre. Not at the prohibitive cost compared to return ratio. Scott has to be given a chance despite his poor start at the club. Hopefully post Court case brings back his confidence.

I’d look for a young speedy winger who can finish. We can keep Rapana as back up (in the Oldfield role).

Save the majority of our coin for an edge forward and a prop who can take on a leadership role and help Papalli in battle, particularly as I see Sia not running around for much longer.
Our middles are ok in my opinion. A big impact prop would be good just to throw something different at teams.

I agree with you on an edge forward at least for depth in that position. Although I like the potential of Young and he has been playing well.

I disagree with you entirely on Scott. He was dropped by Melbourne for the same reason- he can’t beat a person and he can’t defend; thus, it has less to do with the court case and more to do with him not being good enough.

As a consequence, we have a bloke (and we don’t have anyone else signed next year who has played right centre) sucking up our salary cap who is the only player we have in that position and who is simply not good enough.

If we were paying him $150-200k a year and we had other options, it wouldn’t be a big issue but that is not what we are faced with.

We need a bloke who can play centre first and foremost to remain a challenger whereas we can always chuck a rookie like HSS on the wing if need be and the dial won’t be pushed back too much
amiafish
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Past: Ricky Stuart Present: Xavier Savage

Post by amiafish »

Koroibete would be perfect for us...our backline desperately needs an X-factor (Croker, Rapana, Scott, CNK, Simonsson are not line-breakers at this stage).

Given that our style of play doesn't rely on perfectly executed plays, or interchanges of passing to score tries (instead relying on individual efforts, usually by Wighton, Papaali or Williams), we need another player that can make things happen on their own (especially since losing BJ)...or learn how to run plays.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

I suspect Koroibite being the Wallabies best player, and on $$ well beyond what we offered Cotric, means he's not even remotely in the picture.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

I would 100% back Smith-Shields as a starter or at the very least first back up centre pretty much starting now tbh. From what I've seen (limited admittedly) he looks like a great young player and centre seems to be his position. GE seemed to think he was a gun as well which is just about the best tick a lower grader can get on here given how much footy he has seen and sees. It's not early either (20 yrs old) for an outside back.

I am worried by the fact that he hasn't been given a sniff yet.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Colk wrote: July 19, 2020, 10:52 am
GreenMachine wrote: July 19, 2020, 10:08 am I wouldn’t bother finding an NRL standard centre. Not at the prohibitive cost compared to return ratio. Scott has to be given a chance despite his poor start at the club. Hopefully post Court case brings back his confidence.

Our middles are ok in my opinion. A big impact prop would be good just to throw something different at teams.

I agree with you on an edge forward at least for depth in that position. Although I like the potential of Young and he has been playing well.

I disagree with you entirely on Scott. He was dropped by Melbourne for the same reason- he can’t beat a person and he can’t defend; thus, it has less to do with the court case and more to do with him not being good enough.

As a consequence, we have a bloke (and we don’t have anyone else signed next year who has played right centre) sucking up our salary cap who is the only player we have in that position and who is simply not good enough.

If we were paying him $150-200k a year and we had other options, it wouldn’t be a big issue but that is not what we are faced with.

We need a bloke who can play centre first and foremost to remain a challenger whereas we can always chuck a rookie like HSS on the wing if need be and the dial won’t be pushed back too much
If Scott is a flop, you bring in HSS. You let them duke it out for the full time job.

At the very least, we’re saving on spending overs for another centre who may/may not succeed.

I’d be trying to pinch a player like Xavier Coates from the broncos. A young up and comer who could play wing now and potentially shift inside with experience. We need speed/strike out wide.

All the rest, yeah I like our middles too. But none look like filling out the Sia/wiki leadership role which is imperative in keeping culture strong longer term. That’s who I’d look for. Not necessarily a young player, but an older head.

Also agree Young could be a gem....too early to tell but I’m a fan of his work.

I’d still go for an impact edge and keep reserve coin for when we’re upgrading Williams who IMO is looking great.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

As sad as it is to see Cotric go, it is the right decision for the club. You pay overs for spine positions. Wingers and centres are dime a dozen, don't need to be world beaters, just not turnstiles.
Colk
Dean Lance

Post by Colk »

Dr Zaius wrote: July 19, 2020, 11:27 am As sad as it is to see Cotric go, it is the right decision for the club. You pay overs for spine positions. Wingers and centres are dime a dozen, don't need to be world beaters, just not turnstiles.
I agree with the point that you don’t spend exorbitant money on centres and wingers but you do need some strike as they say. I haven’t seen a premiership winning side sans a gun centre primarily and a good winger or two. I could be wrong but even say Cronulla had a good backline.

Without Cotric and Leilua and with Scott, out backline is pretty shoddy so we are either hoping that two out of HSS/Timoko/Velemi become very good quickly or we strike it gold with a couple of outside recruits.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Colk wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote: July 19, 2020, 11:27 am As sad as it is to see Cotric go, it is the right decision for the club. You pay overs for spine positions. Wingers and centres are dime a dozen, don't need to be world beaters, just not turnstiles.
I agree with the point that you don’t spend exorbitant money on centres and wingers but you do need some strike as they say. I haven’t seen a premiership winning side sans a gun centre primarily and a good winger or two. I could be wrong but even say Cronulla had a good backline.

Without Cotric and Leilua and with Scott, out backline is pretty shoddy so we are either hoping that two out of HSS/Timoko/Velemi become very good quickly or we strike it gold with a couple of outside recruits.
It's a bit of sniffing around and thinking laterally. Rugby, clubs with surpluses, juniors, someone with class who is out of form or a a poorly performing club. Look hard enough you find a rapana or bring through a Cotric. Melbourne always seem to be able to replace their outside backs with quality once the asking price is too much.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

You especially need yards from the back 3 or back 5.

Without Cotric and Joey, we've lost our two best punchers in that division. Simo and Croker will never be more than scramblers in that regard. CNK is brave and solid enough but just not designed for outstanding results in that area.

Rapana used to be outstanding also but has come back to the pack a bit. Oldy is pretty decent at it.

Rona would be nice as he is a big unit and might do well in that regard, plus can find the stripe.
Colk
Dean Lance

Post by Colk »

Dr Zaius wrote: July 19, 2020, 12:35 pm
Colk wrote:

It's a bit of sniffing around and thinking laterally. Rugby, clubs with surpluses, juniors, someone with class who is out of form or a a poorly performing club. Look hard enough you find a rapana or bring through a Cotric. Melbourne always seem to be able to replace their outside backs with quality once the asking price is too much.
I agree - that is what you do. I would be looking at clubs like Penrith or Souths who seem to have a lot of backs. You might not have to spend too much to get a player from there either
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

In terms of outside backs there are a few who I reckon could be sounded out. I think players like Dale Copley are under rated. Utility back who could fill a number of spots at FG level. As a winger George Jennings. If we are also looking for a Bateman replacement then England giant Mike McMeeken may be looking for a stint in the NRL. He is not only an International but at 195cm and 101kg position either backrow or center at 26 years of age. it may be worth another of Sticky's phone calls.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

Dale Copley haha good one
Thomas Raider
Brett Mullins

Post by Thomas Raider »

The Dragons always have surplus local players who they won't play :) I hear Tristan Sailor wants out .
Thoughts?
Colk
Dean Lance

Post by Colk »

Thomas Raider wrote: July 19, 2020, 1:46 pm The Dragons always have surplus local players who they won't play :) I hear Tristan Sailor wants out .
Thoughts?
Too small
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Players we should be looking at:

Pls note I have not put down players with no chance of leaving their present clubs, are too expensive, unlikely to be released and seem happy like Zac Lomax, Matt Dufty, Joey Manu, Bradman Best, Nathan Brown, Marika Koroibete - it's like a club approaching us wanting to sign Whitehead

Backs:

David Nofo - but unlikely to be released; more expensive than the others. he gets a mention as I've been impressed with him every time I see him play
Ben Barba - comes with history but with something to prove, would be cheap, around 150,000 to 200,000. In years he was good 2012 Canterbury made GF and Cronulla in 2016 won the comp. New rule changes would suit him. We need wing and fullback back up, with CNK can be winger or centre. NRL cannot ban him for life - he didn't kill anyone. Look at Packer and Lodge. He served his crimes. Could be the X factor we need now w/o Joey in a predictable backline
Matt Ikuvalu - I've been impressed with his performances, 5 tries against Cowboys, scored against us last year and on Thursday, good pace, size, metres - cheaper and faster than Cotric. Unlikely to be first choice at Roosters
Xavier Coates - but unlikely to be released

A big no to Dale Copley, Isaako, Caleb Atkins, Curtis Rona (based on what I saw of him at Canterbury) - complete waste of money. With any of these, I think HSS and our other up and comers are better bets of someone making the grade like Cotric

I cannot comment on Oliver Gildart but we don't want another Jordan Turner

Forwards:

CHN - enough said
Sitili Tupouniua - was impressed with his games against us in Brisbane Magic round last year and against Melbourne.

No to Ryan James
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Take out the Ben Barba part and it's a decent post.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Xavier Coates and CHN....would be my choice.
I'd even pay overs for Coates because he's going to be special. Pure athlete.
Colk
Dean Lance

Post by Colk »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: July 19, 2020, 3:26 pm Players we should be looking at:

Pls note I have not put down players with no chance of leaving their present clubs, are too expensive, unlikely to be released and seem happy like Zac Lomax, Matt Dufty, Joey Manu, Bradman Best, Nathan Brown, Marika Koroibete - it's like a club approaching us wanting to sign Whitehead

Backs:

David Nofo - but unlikely to be released; more expensive than the others. he gets a mention as I've been impressed with him every time I see him play - so have I but there is no chance of him being released.
Ben Barba - comes with history but with something to prove, would be cheap, around 150,000 to 200,000. In years he was good 2012 Canterbury made GF and Cronulla in 2016 won the comp. New rule changes would suit him. We need wing and fullback back up, with CNK can be winger or centre. NRL cannot ban him for life - he didn't kill anyone. Look at Packer and Lodge. He served his crimes. Could be the X factor we need now w/o Joey in a predictable backline - interesting call. I sense that he has been hung out to dry a little bit.
Matt Ikuvalu - I've been impressed with his performances, 5 tries against Cowboys, scored against us last year and on Thursday, good pace, size, metres - cheaper and faster than Cotric. Unlikely to be first choice at Roosters - good option but would depend on what they are doing with the Morris brothers
Xavier Coates - but unlikely to be released - no chance. We would have to fork out a lot of money and with Boyd retiring they would have the funds to keep him.

A big no to Dale Copley, Isaako, Caleb Atkins, Curtis Rona (based on what I saw of him at Canterbury) - complete waste of money. With any of these, I think HSS and our other up and comers are better bets of someone making the grade like Cotric - Dale Copley and Isaako I agree with. Everytime I have seen Aetkins though he has impressed. Makes a lot of metres:

I cannot comment on Oliver Gildart but we don't want another Jordan Turner

Forwards:

CHN - enough said
Sitili Tupouniua - was impressed with his games against us in Brisbane Magic round last year and against Melbourne - The Roosters are under the salary cap remember so they wouldn’t release him

No to Ryan James - fair enough
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Northern Raider wrote: July 19, 2020, 3:37 pm Take out the Ben Barba part and it's a decent post.
Hehe. I considered this Northern Raider but in recruitment, you need to take an element of risk - we did with Josh Hodgson, G Williams and CNK! He isn't the nicest or brightest footballer but I was thinking about the X factor element missing in our backline. He would be dirt cheap considering he's on an hourly wage as a metal worker.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I don't see the NRL ever registering another contract for Barba.

Copley is actually a pretty decent finisher and can cover centre, but like everything it depends on the money and I have always liked the idea of bringing your young talent into the wing position though. They're cheap and usually extremely enthusiastic.

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Hong Kong Raider wrote: July 19, 2020, 3:43 pm
Northern Raider wrote: July 19, 2020, 3:37 pm Take out the Ben Barba part and it's a decent post.
Hehe. I considered this Northern Raider but in recruitment, you need to take an element of risk - we did with Josh Hodgson, G Williams and CNK! He isn't the nicest or brightest footballer but I was thinking about the X factor element missing in our backline. He would be dirt cheap considering he's on an hourly wage as a metal worker.
Even if he was allowed to play again I have no interest in a 32yo that's 5 years removed from his last good season.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

I wish we didn't let Naden go
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Raiders666 wrote: July 19, 2020, 5:21 pm I wish we didn't let Naden go
That was 3 years ago and he was nowhere near 1st grade at the time.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

Sione Katoa (Sharks) winger... Looks the goods and is off contract.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Dusty wrote: July 19, 2020, 5:26 pm Sione Katoa (Sharks) winger... Looks the goods and is off contract.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
He's come up in conversation before. Doubt the Sharks could offer him too much with some of their other cap baggage. Worth a go.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Katoa's not a bad option.