All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Re: Zimply the best

Post by Matt »

zim wrote: June 24, 2020, 3:18 pm
Matt wrote: June 24, 2020, 12:05 pm 1. Jack Wighton - I know, Im messing with the system, but the 6s and 7s are so good, Im taking 3 of 4.
2. Marika Sivo
3. Jarrod Croker (c)
4. Michael Jennings
5. Nick Cotric
6. Dylan Brown - He is the reason that left edge is so good ATM, and in attacking situations, he is getting the ball over Moses
7. George Williams - Williams has been good in winning and losing teams - Moses went missing vs Chooks, but this is a really tough call.
8. Josh Papalii
9. Josh Hodgson (c)
10. Joseph Paulo
11. Ryan Matterson
12. Elliot Whitehead
13. Corey Horsburgh (Id pick Horse over Brown, even without the suspension. Been better this yr, and less hot headed)

14. Siliva Havili
15. Shaun Lane - I have him over Tapine and Sia as my tweener forward. He has been very good for 2yrs at Eels. Tough call.
16. Emre Guler
18. Reagan Campbell-Gillard

17. Nathan Brown - Between him and Horse, you get aggression, power and big motor. But you cant name a suspended player, so he drops out.
We seem to have differing views on the chooks game. I thought Brown was absent in the first half (changed in the second) and Moses pretty much shouldered the load but his execution was way down (improved a little in the second).
I like the throwback to Wighton at fullback. I hadn't considered that.
Moses kicked well, mostly from long range, but thats his job. Brown was their attack, with the TA. He ran for 90m himself. They went to Jennings, Sivo and Lane a lot, which is his side. Jennings had a blinder, mostly off good ball from Brown.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

It's a hard one to pick the best three-quarter line out of these 2 teams. It's a pretty evenly matched team but Parramatta have more ball play from their spine and pack IMO. That's dangerous for Canberra.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

zim wrote: I like the throwback to Wighton at fullback. I hadn't considered that.
I don’t. IMO you can get his attacking flair elsewhere without taking his defensive positioning issues at fullback.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

gangrenous wrote: June 25, 2020, 11:58 am
zim wrote: I like the throwback to Wighton at fullback. I hadn't considered that.
I don’t. IMO you can get his attacking flair elsewhere without taking his defensive positioning issues at fullback.
Yeah I wouldn't have made the same choice even after considering it but it was an interesting take on it.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

But I like Matt.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Who wouldn't?!
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Round 7 The Fallout

We had the better of the ref's calls and the better of the injuries but for a second week in a row the Raiders couldn't put away a weakened side that we're supposedly in competition with for a top 4 spot.
The final side is a little skewed because of injuries and suspension. Moses went down during the match. Rapana went off. Nathan Brown was suspended before kick off and Tapine was ruled out.

Adjusted for game day 17:
1. Clint Gutherson
2. Maika Sivo
3. Jarrod Croker (c)
4. Michael Jennings
5. Blake Ferguson
6. Jack Wighton
7. Dylan Brown
8. Josh Papalii
9. Reed Mahoney (c)
10. Junior Paulo
11. Shaun Lane
12. Elliot Whitehead
13. Ryan Matterson

14. Siliva Havili
15. Marata Niukore
16. Reagan Campbell-Gillard
17. Emre Guler
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

I might be underselling RCG here (pretty sure I am) but I'll leave it up to the rest of you to come at me bro.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Zimply the best Round 8: Canberra Raiders vs St. George Illawarra Dragons

Guidelines
1. Pick the strongest 17 you can by combining the Raiders and their opponents for this round.
2. If a player is listed in this week's 21 they can be in your 17.
3. Players can slot into any position you can realistically justify (eg played well there before / rep level / similar role already).
4. All players picked are considered fully fit. Someone coming back after being out for 6 weeks does not need to be nursed back in.
5. Having a bad 2 weeks shouldn't keep a test player making the 17.

This week's team lineups can be seen here:
https://thegh.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34090

Clearly Strongest 17
1. Matt Dufty
2. Nick Cotric
3. Jarrod Croker (c)
4. Zac Lomax
5. Mikaele Ravalawa
6. Jack Wighton
7. George Williams
8. Josh Papalii
9. Josh Hodgson (c)
10. Paul Vaughan
11. Tyson Frizell
12. Elliot Whitehead
13. Joseph Tapine

14. Ben Hunt
15. Tyrell Fuimaono
16. Siliva Havili
17. Emre Guler

Spine
Matt Dufty is finally showing signs of being the fullback the dragons need. He's no longer a 1 trick pony that meekly submits to a tackle when his speed doesn't work. The cut out passing when he chimes into the backline has been top notch and our shaky right edge should be on the lookout.
CNK was on the improve against the Eels but Dufty gets the nod because of the improved passing game.
Neither team's playmakers are in form. Clune has been playing a very minor supporting role without much impact. Norman has been trying hard without too much success. Wighton and Williams are likewise not impacting the game as they'd like. I'm going to back our boys to finally come out of their slump.
Speaking of form slumps Hodgson notches up another week of clunkiness and indecision. McInnes in a reduced role hasn't really offered much more than tackling. I'm going with Hodgson on the potential of his kicking game and the pressure he puts on the opposition kickers, but in a first this year he won't play 80.

Backs
Jarrod Croker continues to maintain a lock on a centre position. Zac Lomax is looking more dangerous as he gains more confidence and is receiving more quality ball. It's been a bit of a rough year for the dragons but I think he'll only get better.
Aitken rolls a dice every time he touches the ball as to whether he'll break a tackle or make a mistake. Curtis Scott rolls the same dice but it always lands on an edge.
There's an option to move Wighton into the centres but I've opted against having Hunt or Norman in the 6 or 7.
The wings of both clubs have had up and down seasons.
Rapana is out with an injured calf so we're saved from a discussion about his recent penalties and drops.
Mikaele Ravalawa has been a bit of a bulldozer. He's averaging around 150m this season and can get your sets started well. He can sometimes have hands for feet but has been better in recent weeks. Just enough to tip things back in his favour against other players that haven't been getting the same game time or provide less impact. We're assuming we'll get a Sivo lite here and not a shocker.
Jason Saab shows a lot of promise but I haven't seen enough of him to select him over other players.
Simonsson and Oldfield were very close to getting picked but just don't offer the same tackle breaking and involvement as Ravalawa.

Forwards
Josh Papalii looks like he's carrying an injury. He still managed to punch out 170m against parramatta but in recent weeks his work is just not done with the same gusto we've come to expect.
You know what you're going to get with Paul Vaughan. He continues to defend well and provide a lot of go forward with the occasional offload. The dragons really wouldn't have much of a forward pack without him.

Back Row
The backrow oozes quality. Whitehead has been a shining light for the Raiders. Frizell for the dragons. Tapine returns to what I feel is his best position at lock.

Bench
With Hodgson's drop in form and McInnes robotic nature I've gone with a point of difference with Hunt to come on and provide some spark from dummy half. He looks to be performing better coming on against a tired pack with less responsibility.
A bit of a journeyman Tyrell Fuimaono has had a good season replacing Tariq Sims on the edge. He defends well in a side that has struggled for structure, runs hard and gets a quick play the ball. He can play in the middle or cover an edge if required.
Siliva Havili is going from strength to strength. His increase in metres will see him coming on at prop in this side and play the same expansive game.
Emre Guler picked up his involvement against the Eels and will continue to provide punch from the bench. He fulfills our big boy role.

There's a few different players that we could have subbed in depending on how you want to run your side.
Sutton is a warming up to the task but doesn't have the punch that Guler and Havili have.
Young has played his best football off the bench but Fuimaono has had a better year.
Trent Merrin and Sia Soliola offer experience and at their best they would be certain to get in but they seem to be struggling with the pace of the game this season.
Lawrie and Kerr just aren't offering as much as those chosen.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Round 7 The Fallout

The Dragon's were terrible. We should have won by a lot more. We were clunky again but got the win.
There were a few selections this week with pretty big swings. Ravalawa had an absolute shocker. There were some injuries (Emre and Soliola) and some players on the bench instead of starting (Papalii and Tapine).

1. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
2. Nick Cotric
3. Jarrod Croker (c)
4. Euan Aitken
5. Bailey Simonsson
6. Jack Wighton
7. George Williams
8. Josh Papalii
9. Josh Hodgson (c)
10. Paul Vaughan
11. Tyson Frizell
12. Elliot Whitehead
13. Joseph Tapine

14. Tyrell Fuimaono
15. Ryan Sutton
16. Siliva Havili
17. Emre Guler
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Aitken was pretty dangerous, Dufty VERY dangerous, Hunt and Merrin surprisingly good. So was McInnes.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

best ive seen from mcinness in a long time

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

We were cruising through that game when it mattered. If they wanted to feature more they needed to do it in the first 60mins.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

zim wrote:We were cruising through that game when it mattered. If they wanted to feature more they needed to do it in the first 60mins.
Too right.

Raiders took their foot off the pedal and that allowed some Dragons players to have an impact on the game after it had already been lost.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

bonehead wrote: July 5, 2020, 5:31 pm best ive seen from mcinness in a long time

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
He’s been one of the best players in the competition imo.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

McInnes is the first bloke I'd take from that Dragons team. Followed by Frizell.

Dufty was strong in attack but is an absolute passenger in defence. It's like watching Reece Robinson. He embodies why that team won't be successful for a long, long time.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Zimply the best Round 9: Canberra Raiders vs Melbourne Storm

Guidelines
1. Pick the strongest 17 you can by combining the Raiders and their opponents for this round.
3. Players can slot into any position you can realistically justify (eg played well there before / rep level / similar role already).
4. All players picked are considered fully fit. Someone coming back after being out for 6 weeks does not need to be nursed back in.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34101

Clearly Strongest 17
1. Cameron Munster
2. Nick Cotric
3. Jarrod Croker
4. Justin Olam
5. Josh Addo-Carr
6. Jack Wighton
7. George Williams
8. Josh Papalii
9. Cameron Smith (c)
10. Jesse Bromwich
11. Felise Kaufusi
12. Elliot Whitehead
13. Dale Finucane

14. Ryan Papenhuyzen
15. Nelson Asofa-Solomona
16. Joseph Tapine
17. Brandon Smith

Spine
Papenhuyzen has been playing well. Charnze is ticking back up. Munster is on the reserves list and if he's named we can pick him. I don't expect Munster to play on the day but he's the best fullback in both team lists.
Jacks only goal would be to limit his mistakes. He's not there to have any big impact. At their best Williams and Wighton have a better all round game than Hughes.
Hodgson drops out this week for the king of the hookers.

Backs
Nick Cotric had an improved showing against St George and we'll need the same again this week if we are any hope of competing.
Olam has been a human missile in defense and attack and more often than not it's getting results. He's no nonsense and non-stop.
Addo-Carr has been hampered a bit by recent injuries but his raw speed makes him a big danger anytime he gets a little space.
Croker rounds out our centre pairing. You know the quality you're getting when you pick him.
Momirovski has had some shockers on and off the ball. Scott didn't do enough to get near the side. Rapana has had too many errors and penalties in him to get picked.

Forwards
Papalii and Bromwich were both down on metres last week. You'd expect Papalii to step up for the bigger game this week and 1 blip isn't going to keep someone of Bromwich's quality from getting in the team.

Back Row
Whitehead continues to perform at a high level. Kaufusi has been solid without being spectacular. He gives you that defensive security for 80mins.
Finucane was huge against the Roosters in defense and with the ball in hand. Let's hope he's a bit tired this week.
Ryan Sutton had a good game starting against St George but he's up against some tough competition trying to grab a spot in this week's team.

Bench
Brandon Smith. Every team would love to have him. In 60mins off the bench he made 146m and topped the tackle count with 45. The faster pace of the game suits him.
Tapine was nursing a bit of an injury last week but he still looks dangerous when carrying the ball. Able to stand and offload.
Nelson is a monster.
Papenhuyzen will be coming on looking for an offload and pushing up in support. This bench has a lot of points in it, as long as Tapine and NAS don't get sin binned.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Round 8 The Fallout

Quite a spectacle. Neither team played at their best and the officiating was atrocious but it made for interesting viewing. There were a few late changes with Munster and Kaufusi missing out. Hodgson, Jesse Bromwich and Bailey Simonsson picked up injuries during the match.

1. Ryan Papenhuyzen
2. Nick Cotric
3. Jarrod Croker
4. Justin Olam
5. Josh Addo-Carr
6. Jack Wighton
7. George Williams
8. Josh Papalii
9. Cameron Smith (c)
10. Brandon Smith
11. Joseph Tapine
12. Elliot Whitehead
13. Dale Finucane

14. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
15. Dunamis Lui
16. Tino Faasuamaleaui
17. Nelson Asofa-Solomona
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Surely you should have given the refs a jersey for their input in the result?
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Where do you play them though? Galea seems a bit devious and probably has a concussion or 2 so likely into hooker. Atkins happy just to follow other's lead and support so fullback? Both crack under pressure so tough call.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

I think given Smith’s knock ons and Hodgo’s knee Galea romps in at hooker.

Papenhuyzen played really well so maybe we switch him in at Centre for Croker?
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

That's a really strong side. Perhaps too strong.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Zimply the best Round 10: Sydney Roosters vs Canberra Raiders

Guidelines

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34121

Clearly Strongest 17
1. James Tedesco
2. Nick Cotric
3. Jarrod Croker
4. Joseph Manu
5. Brett Morris
6. Jack Wighton
7. Luke Keary
8. Josh Papalii
9. Jake Friend (c)
10. Jared Waerea-Hargreaves
11. Boyd Cordner (c)
12. Elliot Whitehead
13. Siosiua Taukeiaho

14. Mitchell Aubusson
15. Siliva Havili
16. Joseph Tapine
17. Angus Crichton

Spine
James Tedesco. He's the best player in the game at the moment. I haven't forgotten the back flip. The man should be wearing lime green. I'm not so bitter that he doesn't make the side. He's been a joy to watch this year. Please have an off game.
Keary continues to wear the 6 on his back but he leads the Roosters around the park. At the start of the year he was very dominant but as the season goes on Flanagan is picking up more of that slack as he builds into the role leaving Keary to create and play eyes up footy. Flanagan has been good recently and if you were going to leave Croker out of the side and move Wighton into the centres he might grab a spot for his goal kicking. Williams has the slight edge in the 1 on 1 match up against Flanagan and considering the different seasons the 2 teams have had you'd have to say this leaves Flanagan as the 4th choice play maker.
Friend wins this week by default however if both sides were at full strength he would still be getting the nod. He's been in better form than Hodgson since the restart.

Backs
Brett Morris has been in vintage form this year. He's up there as one of the best wingers in the comp.
Manu has been a little quieter this year. Every now and then we see a glimpse of the skill he possesses and even when he's not firing he's a reliable part of the team. Looks to me like he's building into the season. With the way the Roosters are travelling there's no need for him to really push the envelope.
The other Morris twin Josh is unlucky to miss out. Croker gets the spot ahead of him for that left side cohesion, goal kicking and better defensive stats.
After one game Ikuvalu and Cotric are on equal tries for the season. Cotric is a rep quality player. Ikuvalu will dine out on that performance for years but is a solid backup, perhaps moving into a definite first grader as he hits 27.

Forwards
Good lord what a pack we have this week. I feel like some kid in some kind of a store. The 2 starting props we have this week aren't necessarily the 2 best props in the team but with Papalii and Taukeiaho both previously spending time at lock we can shift things around and be greedy. If both teams were fully fit we might have actually seen JWH on the bench which is filthy given the way he has been playing.
Papalii is never far away from being back in form and last week's performance against Melbourne carrying a depleted pack is why he's one of the best in the business.

Back Row
Whitehead didn't make a single mistake last week :shock: . Alright, alright. One tiny mistake, but we're not going to let a minor mishap distort our view are we? Even with that minor (perhaps game losing) mistake the guy hits like a ton of bricks and just has that touch of class and guile that sets him apart.
Cordner came back from the break in excellent form. It really highlights how big a difference it makes when he's fresh and not playing injured. He hits the line hard and is always involved whether he receives the ball or is running a decoy.
Taking out 1 game where he had reduced minutes Taukeiaho is averaging around 220m and 40 tackles. Seriously it just makes me angry looking at that and thinking "he's not in the lime green". Roosters are cap cheats. What a player.

Bench
Crichton has been playing really well and if you were running a weekly post about the roosters combined team he'd be in the starting 2nd row more often than not. His versatility allows us to have him on the bench. He can play anywhere in the forward pack especially with this year's rule changes.
Tapine provides a bit of punch. A bit of aggro and an offload. You probably interchange him with JWH so they both can't be sent off at the same time.
Havili provides cover for hooker and has earned the right to be here as a middle player as well given the year he's had.
Aubusson might not get any time on the field in this side (probably the same with whoever was here) but you can interchange him with Cordner once you're up 60-0 after the first half to give Boyd a spell. He can also help cover any spot in the backline in a pinch.

This is probably the strongest combined 17 of the year. If there weren't any injuries we would have had to make some hard decisions on what we do with the likes of Victor Radley and John Bateman in that starting 13.
Having Radley in the side gives you hooker cover and allows you to compare Havili with guys like Emre Guler, Corey Horsburgh, Lindsay Collins and Nat Butcher for spots on the bench if you want an extra big body.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I’ll do the position by position “skins”.

1. James Tedesco
2. Nick Cotric
3. Jarrod Croker/Josh Morris
4. Joseph Manu
5. Brett Morris
6. Luke Keary/Jack Wighton
7. George Williams/Kyle Flanagan
8. Josh Papalii
9. Jake Friend
10. Siosiua Taukeiaho
11. Boyd Cordner
12. Elliott Whitehead
13. Joseph Tapine

I’m calling the bench a draw or too tired to choose!
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

I don't think you're going to win many people over on the Keary/Wighton draw.
Surely Sitili Tupouniua is getting the nod over O'Donnell on the bench too? Too tired it is!
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Clearly Strongest 17
1. James Tedesco
2. Nick Cotric
3. Josh Morris (definitely found the fountain of youth)
4. Joseph Manu
5. Brett Morris (definitely found the fountain of youth)
6. Luke Keary
7. Kyle Flannagan
8. Josh Papalii
9. Jake Friend (c)
11. Angus Crichton
12. Elliot Whitehead
13. Joseph Tapine

14. Siliva Havili
15. Sitili Tupouniua
16. Siosiua Taukeiaho - benched him as the 3rd prop, but understand why Zim had him reversed with Tapine
17. Mitchell Aubusson - could easily agree to an argument for Jack here. So many minutes in that starting pack.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

At the moment Siosiua Taukeiaho is the last middle I'd be moving to the bench. It's almost like putting Lolo there given his form.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Round 8 The Fallout

Great heart by the boys. With all the injuries we've had that's a big win under our belt. The roosters didn't respect the ball in the slippery conditions.
There were some injuries form the likes of Chricton and some players had a tough night like Croker, Aubusson and Manu. The gap between the selected players pre-game is close enough to shift things based on their in game performance.
With Croker out the side has no goal kicker. Enter Kyle Flanagan.

1. James Tedesco
2. Nick Cotric
3. Jack Wighton
4. Josh Morris
5. Brett Morris
6. Luke Keary
7. Kyle Flanagan
8. Josh Papalii
9. Jake Friend (c)
11. Boyd Cordner (c)
12. Elliot Whitehead
13. Siosiua Taukeiaho

14. Matt Ikuvalu
15. Siliva Havili
16. Joseph Tapine
17. Dunamis Lui
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Flanagan isn't a pimple on King George's ass. Taukeiaho has kicked occasionally, I'd give the tee to him instead and cop the hit.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

George went missing for long periods of the game or he would have been in here. Probably not his fault. The hookers were always looking for Jack even when Williams would have been better for a couple of 5th tackle options.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Post by Neeeegz »

Most pointless thread award goes to...
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Wighton > Keary @6
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Neeeegz wrote: July 16, 2020, 10:41 pm Most pointless thread award goes to...
The entire point of this thread was to get some of the heavy hitters involved in some discussion. Top minds if you will. Glad you've chimed in.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Sid wrote: July 16, 2020, 10:42 pm Wighton > Keary @6
The fallout is always a tougher selection for me as I have to weigh up how they are before the game vs during the game and the post game excitement. Keary should be the blues 6. Wighton will be there but not as a player maker. I didn't think there was a big enough difference in their game day performances to make the shift out right and the centres having an off night lets me keep both.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Post by Neeeegz »

zim wrote: July 16, 2020, 10:45 pm
Neeeegz wrote: July 16, 2020, 10:41 pm Most pointless thread award goes to...
The entire point of this thread was to get some of the heavy hitters involved in some discussion. Top minds if you will. Glad you've chimed in.
You are a gentleman and a scholar .. as you were Mr Zim