Corey Harawira-Naera signs with Raiders to end 2022

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: Corey Harawira-Naera reportedly on the Raiders radar

Post by Coastalraider »

And I say the above having learnt a lesson from the Wighton incident - I was willing to kick him to the curb.

With the benefit of more information, and viewing the video, I realised I jumped to conclusions way to early.
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

raiderskater wrote: July 14, 2020, 4:15 pm You can absolutely tell that this is a male-dominated thread. Absolutely.

EDIT

The NRL made it clear they interviewed two teenage schoolgirls. The police said no law was technically broken. That puts the girls between 16-18. Both of them. That puts CHN, at minimum, EDIT *six years older than the teenage schoolgirl he picked up. The power imbalance is massive. The life experience imbalance is massive. It is nothing short of predatory for older men to go seeking out girls that are barely adult (or not even adult). And regardless of being 18, if someone's still in high school/college, they are not an adult.

And let's not even get started on the issue of sixteen being made the age of consent, without restriction on age gaps, in NSW. EDIT

I had to laugh at the number of people in this thread who said "I don't think there'll be backlash". Of course there won't be. Why? Because rugby league is dominated by male fans, a majority of whom are most certainly secretly jealous CHN picked up a schoolgirl EDIT younger than him.
I’m more than 6 years older than my wife. Should I be ashamed?
MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Post by MrPosh »

If every club took a stance not to employ players who had, at one time or another, been led by EDIT, Will Hopoate would be the only player in the game.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

There is absolutely nothing wrong with what CHN did apart from breaking team rules, and on that basis I have no issue with him being at our club.

There are loads of young girls of legal age who go after older guys, through their own volition. It's their choice and their right to exercise, no one else's business. In my mid 20s I myself got with a few 18-19 year old girls who were the main initiators themselves, no regrets and if I went back to that age I'd probably do it again.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

sprintman wrote: July 14, 2020, 5:14 pm
raiderskater wrote: July 14, 2020, 4:15 pm You can absolutely tell that this is a male-dominated thread. Absolutely.

EDIT

The NRL made it clear they interviewed two teenage schoolgirls. The police said no law was technically broken. That puts the girls between 16-18. Both of them. That puts CHN, at minimum, EDIT *six years older than the teenage schoolgirl he picked up. The power imbalance is massive. The life experience imbalance is massive. It is nothing short of predatory for older men to go seeking out girls that are barely adult (or not even adult). And regardless of being 18, if someone's still in high school/college, they are not an adult.

And let's not even get started on the issue of sixteen being made the age of consent, without restriction on age gaps, in NSW. EDIT

I had to laugh at the number of people in this thread who said "I don't think there'll be backlash". Of course there won't be. Why? Because rugby league is dominated by male fans, a majority of whom are most certainly secretly jealous CHN picked up a schoolgirl EDIT younger than him.
Mate you're absolutely **** despicable, you scum how dare you prey on an innocent child like that
Old School Green
Dean Lance

Post by Old School Green »

MrPosh wrote: July 14, 2020, 5:16 pm If every club took a stance not to employ players who had, at one time or another, been led by EDIT, Will Hopoate would be the only player in the game.
So true :lol: :lol:
87, 89, 90, 91, 94, 19
I was there. Go the Milk !!
boomer
David Shillington

Post by boomer »

:|
Last edited by boomer on July 14, 2020, 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

MrPosh wrote: July 14, 2020, 5:16 pm If every club took a stance not to employ players who had, at one time or another, been led by EDIT, Will Hopoate would be the only player in the game.
While this is tongue in cheek I think it’s a pretty succinct response to the issue.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

raiderskater wrote: July 14, 2020, 4:15 pm And regardless of being 18, if someone's still in high school/college, they are not an adult.
Incorrect.
Mercury
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Mercury »

When I first read about this I thought the Okunbor was a complete ***** who displayed if not predatory (whch I firmly believe) then unbelievably moronic, completely unacceptable behaviour.
Regardless of age this was a school. Idiot.There's a whole world out there and he chose a school to hunt in.
Legally he may be clear.....morally he's bankrupt. I do not want him in green.

CHN as I understand it met someone when he was out. As she was of legal age then you may feel the age difference creates an imbalance and you'd be right.
Many relationships that have a large age/maturity age gap are not equal. That does not necessarily lead to harm or damage.
However, no 18 year old believes that, they believe they know everything which I think we can all agree is true.
Possibly with hindsight when she's older she might think that it was not her greatest decision.

Regardless CHN did not break any law. Stupid, yes. Feeling entitled? Probably.

I think he may have learnt his lesson. Only way to tell is to take a chance.

Just make sure the Raiders have a clause in the contract.....
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: July 14, 2020, 5:00 pm I can see both sides of the arguments and there are a lot of valid points which have been posted in the thread... can we please avoid over the top commentary and treat other posters with respect.
It is very hard to be respectful when the poster is ignorant of the reported facts or simply chooses to ignore them. And continues to make inaccurate and defamatory claims which are not supported by any reported facts.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

afgtnk wrote: July 14, 2020, 5:21 pm

EDIT

Mate you're absolutely **** despicable, you scum how dare you prey on an innocent child like that
Spare a thought for poor ol Botwoman... she is 10 years older than me!
I can only imagine her shame.

----
In all seriousness
Adults are adults and you can have your views on age of consent and what is right for you, but no one else is obligated to adhere to your morality. They are obligated to adhere to the law.
Furthermore CHN did not abuse his position, there is no evidence of report of predatory behaviour, coersion or anything untoward. He was not at the school, he did not met her as part of his role at the club.

These are two people of legal consenting age doing with their bodies as they please. raiderskater might wish to dictate to others what they can and can't do based on her morality, but that's how i like to go about my business.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Is there any suggestion that this player is actually on the market?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

T_R wrote: July 14, 2020, 7:57 pm Is there any suggestion that this player is actually on the market?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Reports are he's furious with the Bulldogs and will ask for a release... we know how these things go, once a player wants out, as we well know... he gone.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Botman wrote: July 14, 2020, 7:54 pm
afgtnk wrote: July 14, 2020, 5:21 pm

EDIT

Spare a thought for poor ol Botwoman... she is 10 years older than me!
I can only imagine her shame.

----
In all seriousness
Adults are adults and you can have your views on age of consent and what is right for you, but no one else is obligated to adhere to your morality. They are obligated to adhere to the law.
Furthermore CHN did not abuse his position, there is no evidence of report of predatory behaviour, coersion or anything untoward. He was not at the school, he did not met her as part of his role at the club.

These are two people of legal consenting age doing with their bodies as they please. raiderskater might wish to dictate to others what they can and can't do based on her morality, but that's how i like to go about my business.
Regardless of her predatory nature, we do all spare a thought for her.
Dont delete this GE
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

simo wrote: July 14, 2020, 8:07 pm Regardless of her predatory nature, we do all spare a thought for her.
:lol: As well you should... can you even imagine living with me?
*shudders*
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Botman wrote: July 14, 2020, 8:10 pm
simo wrote: July 14, 2020, 8:07 pm Regardless of her predatory nature, we do all spare a thought for her.
:lol: As well you should... can you even imagine living with me?
*shudders*
Mods, edit this filth
Dont delete this GE
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

EDIT

Karen, I think you make a lot of good points, but are you saying that he should be banned for life?

If that is not the case, there has to be a point where he has served his punishment. If that is not now, when should he be allowed to come back?

I think we also need to remember that the NRL are not the moral police. There is no rules about what age the people are that the NRL players sleep with, just that they are of legal age and it is consensual. EDIT he never met the girl at the school and met her afterwards.

My view that if he is available we do our due diligence on the player like we would anyone else and if he fits our team then we look at it.

It is worth remembering that Dane Tilse was sacked by the Knights EDIT, but the club did its due diligence, gave him a second chance and he was a very good long term player for us who to the best of my knowledge never had another off field incident.
Last edited by greeneyed on July 14, 2020, 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

except EDIT

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Edrick The Entertainer
GMGT
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Johnny Bateman

Post by GMGT »

Botman wrote: July 14, 2020, 8:32 am
GMGT wrote: July 14, 2020, 8:23 am We lose a couple of games and suddenly everyone wants to "sign up immediately" someone who has already been in hot water and also proven absolutely nothing at nrl level. Go figure. Take us back to the glory days of when was it...? 2012? Or 2013/14/15 which years were the prime Dugan and Ferguson era??
If you think he's proven nothing at an NRL level when he's played at a level good enough to play international football, then you're kind of telling on yourself there.

He is by no means a superstar, because he does has some deficiencies in his game, his defensive decision making is a problem at times (other times it's not, which i think at least speaks to the fact the inconsistency could be coached out of him) but he is most definitely an above average NRL edge forward.
Ha, international football? International football for who exactly?

Edit: I also note you say he is inconsistent and has defensive problems..

*Checks notes*
Oh, look at that! It sounds like he will fit in perfectly with our current inconsistencies and defensive problems as a team. What a signing, get this done immediately Ricky!!!

*Checks notes again*
Oh boy, he's been charged for assaulting police officers?! We better give him an extra 200k then. GET THIS DONE RICKY, RIGHT NOW!!!!
Last edited by GMGT on July 14, 2020, 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GMGT
Simon Woolford

Post by GMGT »

Finchy wrote: July 14, 2020, 1:15 pm
GMGT wrote: July 14, 2020, 7:21 am
Finchy wrote: July 13, 2020, 11:27 pm
GMGT wrote: July 13, 2020, 11:25 pm Never heard of him in my life except for the scandal. Why are you all quick to say "yes sign him up!!" Is he really that good? Because as far as I'm concerned he is a nobody who is already getting in trouble off the field in his very brief nrl career.. sounds like exactly what we need, ey?
CHN was a gun when he was at Penrith (killed it in Supercoach) and pretty good at the Dogs. Definitely not a nobody.
Well and truly a nobody in my books. I'll let him prove me wrong.
He’s represented his country, so again, not a nobody just because you haven’t heard of him. The rest of the league community has
I highly doubt that. Not everyone has time to sit around EDIT while watching the Bulldogs play, champ.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

GMGT wrote:
GMGT wrote: July 14, 2020, 8:23 am We lose a couple of games and suddenly everyone wants to "sign up immediately" someone who has already been in hot water and also proven absolutely nothing at nrl level. Go figure. Take us back to the glory days of when was it...? 2012? Or 2013/14/15 which years were the prime Dugan and Ferguson era??
If you think he's proven nothing at an NRL level when he's played at a level good enough to play international football, then you're kind of telling on yourself there.

He is by no means a superstar, because he does has some deficiencies in his game, his defensive decision making is a problem at times (other times it's not, which i think at least speaks to the fact the inconsistency could be coached out of him) but he is most definitely an above average NRL edge forward.
New Zealand. He's a good player, jog on.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
GMGT
Simon Woolford

Post by GMGT »

gergreg wrote: July 14, 2020, 10:16 pm
GMGT wrote:

New Zealand. He's a good player, jog on.

Ooft, they must of had an injury crisis similar to ours? Jog on 😂😂😂
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

Haha
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Most good judges would have no doubt that Corey Harawira-Naira is a very good football player, IMO.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

This is heading into "parra and penrith are trash" territory.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

RichmondRaider wrote: July 14, 2020, 2:31 pm
GMGT wrote: July 13, 2020, 11:25 pm Never heard of him in my life except for the scandal. Why are you all quick to say "yes sign him up!!" Is he really that good? Because as far as I'm concerned he is a nobody who is already getting in trouble off the field in his very brief nrl career.. sounds like exactly what we need, ey?
CHN was a gun when he was at Penrith (killed it in Supercoach) and pretty good at the Dogs. Definitely not a nobody.
I hope we don't recruit via supercoach
I’m not saying we should recruit via SuperCoach. But he was killing it at Penrith, as reflected in his SuperCoach scores. Considering SuperCoach points are based on positive plays/stats like tries, try assists, line breaks, line break assists, tackles, tackle breaks, hit ups, metres gained, offloads, etc, it’s not the worst way of measuring a players output. SuperCoach guns are real life guns, like Tedesco, Ponga, Turbo, Taumalolo, Haas, Smith, etc.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

GMGT wrote: July 14, 2020, 10:14 pm
He’s represented his country, so again, not a nobody just because you haven’t heard of him. The rest of the league community has
I highly doubt that. Not everyone has time to sit around EDIT while watching the Bulldogs play, champ.
I highly suspect you’re wrong, champ. You seem to be the only one here that doesn’t know who he is. Maybe you’d know a little bit more about other players or rugby league in general if you watched more than one team play every week, bud
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

GMGT wrote: July 14, 2020, 10:09 pm

Haha wooof... moving along.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

zim wrote:This is heading into "parra and penrith are trash" territory.
I'd say I bleed maroon - Jason Smith, Never heard of the **** territory

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Riaan
John Ferguson

Post by Riaan »

In what profession where you are required to go and work in schools and you then proceed to hook up with students (regardless of being 18+) do you keep your job?? Serious question.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Post by Northern Raider »

GMGT wrote: July 14, 2020, 10:14 pm
You seem to have a lot of strong opinions on the footballing ability of a player you admit you had never heard of before he got suspended.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Post by Northern Raider »

greeneyed wrote: July 14, 2020, 10:59 pm Most good judges would have no doubt that Corey Harawira-Naira is a very good football player, IMO.
Being a good judge or not is moot. I would have thought at least seeing the guy play would be the minimum criteria for having an opinion on his ability.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
amiafish
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Past: Ricky Stuart Present: Xavier Savage

Post by amiafish »

Riaan wrote: July 15, 2020, 8:54 am In what profession where you are required to go and work in schools and you then proceed to hook up with students (regardless of being 18+) do you keep your job?? Serious question.
Catholic priest. Next question.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Riaan wrote: July 15, 2020, 8:54 am In what profession where you are required to go and work in schools and you then proceed to hook up with students (regardless of being 18+) do you keep your job?? Serious question.
Can we stop insinuating CHN did what Okunbor did please?