8%
Roosters 13+
75%

Total votes: 12

Old School Green
Dean Lance

Re: 2020 Rd 10 V Roosters: Teams and Previews

Post by Old School Green »

So even though Starling seems the logical choice (even sticky alluded to it) I’m starting to think throwing in a 4 game FG player who hasn’t played this year into a grand final rematch with the roosters and who is a small unit to begin with possibly isn’t wise. They will run traffic at him relentlessly (JWH etc) and I’m unsure he has the D to match it.
I’m thinking the back up to Havili (for this game at least) should be Frawley. Much more FG experience; better defender than Starling or Swilly; another kick option out of dummy half; ability to deliver crisp seed; tough and annoying; and all round a possibly safer option.
Give Starling a run in a few weeks, (ie not Roosters) but maybe Frawley is a safer bet this week.
Thoughts?
87, 89, 90, 91, 94, 19
I was there. Go the Milk !!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders have backs against the wall in NRL grand final rematch with Sydney Roosters

It's backs against the wall for the Canberra Raiders as they prepare for their grand final rematch against the Sydney Roosters.

"It's backs against the wall. We're not the only team with injuries. It's survival of the fittest at the moment. There's so many players going down with big injuries. Every team is getting injuries. I don't know what it is, but it's going to be last man standing I think," Jarrod Croker said.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... #gsc.tab=0

'I'll never get over it': Canberra Raiders captain Jarrod Croker driven by grand final pain

Raiders captain Jarrod Croker has spent the last nine months avoiding a replay of the 2019 grand final.

"I've seen it walking past at the pub and there's a replay of it, but don't really stick my eyes on it to be honest," Croker says. "You ask blokes who lost one 30 years ago - they're not over it. I'll never get over it. I'd just love to win one."

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/07/13/ill ... inal-pain/

VIDEO: Canberra Raiders co-captain Jarrod Croker says he can’t remember the injury list for the Canberra Raiders being this bad with five season ending injuries over the last two weeks: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2020/07 ... -injuries/
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Old School Green wrote: July 12, 2020, 11:12 pm So even though Starling seems the logical choice (even sticky alluded to it) I’m starting to think throwing in a 4 game FG player who hasn’t played this year into a grand final rematch with the roosters and who is a small unit to begin with possibly isn’t wise. They will run traffic at him relentlessly (JWH etc) and I’m unsure he has the D to match it.
I’m thinking the back up to Havili (for this game at least) should be Frawley. Much more FG experience; better defender than Starling or Swilly; another kick option out of dummy half; ability to deliver crisp seed; tough and annoying; and all round a possibly safer option.
Give Starling a run in a few weeks, (ie not Roosters) but maybe Frawley is a safer bet this week.
Thoughts?
I think you're assumptions about Roosters trying to target him are right, I just think Starling will handle it- or NEEDS to handle it if our season is to be salvaged later.

From what I have seen of Starling, he makes his tackles. Actually gets under and drives in a hit pretty effectively. I think he's a better tackler than Frawley, going by stats and but I've not seen a lot of Frawley myself. Starling has a short kicking game at least.

I don't think mucking around with a half to hooker experiment for a single game is much good. If Ricky decides it's the way forward for the season, ok, but if STarling is our backup hooker then he gets the gig. The club re-signed him lately when they had the opportunity to go in other directions so they must see something.
GMGT
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Johnny Bateman

Post by GMGT »

How about we put the grand final and premiership talk on ice ey toots?? As it currently stands, with our injury and form we need a HUGE turn around to make anything of this year. 11 games left, that's all we've got. We either turn our season around this week, or not at all.
RichmondRaider
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Jordy Raps

Post by RichmondRaider »

GMGT wrote: July 13, 2020, 11:15 am How about we put the grand final and premiership talk on ice ey toots?? As it currently stands, with our injury and form we need a HUGE turn around to make anything of this year. 11 games left, that's all we've got. We either turn our season around this week, or not at all.
Jarrod is cancelled
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

GMGT wrote:How about we put the grand final and premiership talk on ice ey toots?? As it currently stands, with our injury and form we need a HUGE turn around to make anything of this year. 11 games left, that's all we've got. We either turn our season around this week, or not at all.
I don't think that is quite true. I don't think we win next round but after that our draw becomes a bit easier and hopefully we can get on a bit of a roll. We are down on troops but regaining some momentum after next game is critical.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
GMGT
Simon Woolford

Post by GMGT »

gergreg wrote: July 13, 2020, 2:58 pm
GMGT wrote:How about we put the grand final and premiership talk on ice ey toots?? As it currently stands, with our injury and form we need a HUGE turn around to make anything of this year. 11 games left, that's all we've got. We either turn our season around this week, or not at all.
I don't think that is quite true. I don't think we win next round but after that our draw becomes a bit easier and hopefully we can get on a bit of a roll. We are down on troops but regaining some momentum after next game is critical.

I'm not talking about scraping into the finals, I'm talking about winning premierships. We need to stand up and make a statement this Thursday night. A win with our injury crisis, against the premiers, would be a HUGE boost for the rest of the year. We then need to back it up next week against the rabbitohs if we are serious. THAT will set us up nicely going into the softer run home. We really don't want to go into the run home limping whilst the bottom dwellers try to upset and ambush us.

We have a horrific injury toll, but despite this we still have a pretty strong team on paper, one that should be in the dogfight right until the end anyway.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Tom Starling could go from ball boy to Canberra Raiders' NRL saviour

Tom Starling could be poised to return to Ricky Stuart's 17 as the coach looks to fill the void left by Josh Hodgson. Siliva Havili and Starling could share the hooking duties when the Raiders meet the Sydney Roosters.

"Starlo has got a little bit of first grade experience but he was probably doing the same thing a couple of weeks ago, running around and getting flogged for the sake of it. Now he's in and possibly playing against the premiers this week," Jarrod Croker said.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... #gsc.tab=0

VIDEO: Canberra Raiders co-captain Jarrod Croker says he can’t remember the injury list for the Canberra Raiders being this bad with five season ending injuries over the last two weeks: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2020/07 ... -injuries/

VIDEO: NRL Head of Football Elite Competitions Graham Annesley believes Bailey Simonsson should not have been sin binned for taking out Josh Ado-Carr on Saturday night as he believes he was just going for the ball: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/07/13/ann ... simonsson/

VIDEO: Canberra Raiders five eighth Jack Wighton features on Inside the NRL: https://www.nrl.com/tv/shows/inside-the ... k-wighton/

PODCAST: Canberra Times sport: Can the Raiders win without Josh Hodgson? https://open.spotify.com/episode/75yAFvUKOnqG6WUAMyu9z2
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

GMGT wrote: July 13, 2020, 3:32 pm

I'm not talking about scraping into the finals, I'm talking about winning premierships. We need to stand up and make a statement this Thursday night. A win with our injury crisis, against the premiers, would be a HUGE boost for the rest of the year. We then need to back it up next week against the rabbitohs if we are serious. THAT will set us up nicely going into the softer run home. We really don't want to go into the run home limping whilst the bottom dwellers try to upset and ambush us.

We have a horrific injury toll, but despite this we still have a pretty strong team on paper, one that should be in the dogfight right until the end anyway.
Looking at the draw I'd hardly call it a must win this week. It's games against the Bunnies and Panthers will go a long way deciding our fate. Then there's another 7 games against (currently) bottom 8 teams plus 1 more vs Roosters. Drop both Roosters games and win the rest we'll probably make top 4.

I do take your point though that this week could have a huge impact on the team psychology going forward. Win would be a massive boost to self belief while a loss could still have a big negative affect.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
RichmondRaider
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Jordy Raps

Post by RichmondRaider »

I think the test for us is v bunnies. That's a look at how we're placed with our outs.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Yeah I'm not putting this into the must win ranks.

If we have a path deep into finals this year it will have to be through just hanging onto the edge of the 8 during this next 3-4 weeks of deepest i jury crisis and then starting a run as we get a couple of players back + get some fitness and confidence into our rookies and fill ins + hope Jack and George thrive with taking over the show.

Getting Bateman back along the line, then Guler + picking up a transfer player shoulder bolster morale and energy and quality along the way.

Then we can hopefully get a good run into the finals into 4-6 ladder position somewhere and be in it up to our necks. It'll need O'Donnel or Young to have a breakout year like Hors and Guler just had but I haven't quite given up yet.

(I'd regard Sia and Horse as a bonus, I don't expect to see either unfortunately).
Kryptonite
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Terry Reagan

Post by Kryptonite »

Raider47 wrote: July 11, 2020, 10:35 pm Alan Rothery and Kris Kahler available for a Thursday night kickaround?
Terry Martin can back up also
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

@TheGHRaiders on Twitter

VIDEO: Hear from Canberra Raiders captain Jarrod Croker and Dunamis Lui as the Green Machine prepares for a Grand Final re-match with the Sydney Roosters. WIN News Canberra reports: http://ow.ly/jUhv50Awwcw

#NRL #WeAreRaiders #wearecbr
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Kryptonite wrote: July 13, 2020, 6:43 pm
Raider47 wrote: July 11, 2020, 10:35 pm Alan Rothery and Kris Kahler available for a Thursday night kickaround?
Terry Martin can back up also
We should be ok, don't think Jack has any fitness concerns.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Jarrod Croker rubbishes talk of Canberra Raiders demise after Josh Hodgson's ACL rupture

Canberra Raiders captain Jarrod Croker has rubbished suggestions that the club will tumble down the NRL ladder after the injury to star hooker Josh Hodgson.

"We've obviously had some injures in the past but I don't remember it being this bad," he said. "Losing three of our middles over the last couple of weeks and then to lose Hodgo in there on the weekend and then Bailey as well, it's a bit compounding at the moment."

Read more: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/jarrod-cro ... 2c251a3115

Graham Annesley has conceded he "hasn't got the depth" to drop bunker officials after mistakes, following another weekend where the game's polarising video review system made headlines: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/bunker-iss ... af8af59445

Phil Gould says Josh Hodgson's ACL injury has ended Raiders title hopes: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/canberra-r ... 54386f7256
GMGT
Simon Woolford

Post by GMGT »

Northern Raider wrote: July 13, 2020, 4:43 pm

Looking at the draw I'd hardly call it a must win this week. It's games against the Bunnies and Panthers will go a long way deciding our fate. Then there's another 7 games against (currently) bottom 8 teams plus 1 more vs Roosters. Drop both Roosters games and win the rest we'll probably make top 4.

I do take your point though that this week could have a huge impact on the team psychology going forward. Win would be a massive boost to self belief while a loss could still have a big negative affect.
I get what your saying but, how are the rabbits and Panthers more important wins than the roosters? The roosters are quite clearly better than both of those teams.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

GMGT wrote: July 13, 2020, 10:59 pm
Northern Raider wrote: July 13, 2020, 4:43 pm

I get what your saying but, how are the rabbits and Panthers more important wins than the roosters? The roosters are quite clearly better than both of those teams.
Ladder position. We're more likely to be battling those 2 teams for a top 4 spot (or top 8) spot. Winning those game you not only get 2 point yourself but you stop them getting 2 as well. I reckon Roosters will be top 4 regardless.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

As much as GMGT is a numpty, I agree with him - psychologically, a win over the Roosters would be so much more valuable. I don't see it happening, unfortunately.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

‘I don’t remember it being this bad’: injury-hit Canberra Raiders prepare for grand final rematch

The Canberra Raiders insist yet another injury blow won’t derail their season as they prepare for Thursday night’s grand final rematch against the Roosters at the Sydney Cricket Ground.

“We’ve seen some tough times and we’ve had a lot of injuries in the past but I don’t remember it being this bad,” Raiders co-captain Jarrod Croker said. “But look, we’re a tough club, we’re a tough team … we’ve got a short turnaround which might be a good thing after a tough loss.”

Read more: https://the-riotact.com/i-dont-remember ... tch/388972

VIDEO: Raiders prop Dunamis Lui says he's relishing the challenge of helping lead the club's forward pack despite the number of injuries that the green machine have suffered so far this season: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2020/07 ... o-step-up/

MATCH PREVIEW: Roosters v Raiders: Morris on the mend; Battered Raiders reshuffle: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34126

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/07/13/roo ... reshuffle/

Set of six: Raiders V Roosters: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2020/07 ... -roosters/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

There can be a funny side to an injury crisis! Well played to #Canberra #Raiders fan @jackcronin aka @sezerspalace and @raiderscanberra on Twitter! #NRL #WeAreRaiders #wearecbr #bleedgreen #rugbyleague #canberraraiders #Canberra #Raiders

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
-GD-
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga, Terry Campese, Troy Thompson

Post by -GD- »

Ill pay that :roflmao
Butters
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Butters »

Alright I've got tickets to the game. Its gone on general sale.

Can't wait to watch us get pumped (unless we have to move to QLD!). Who's in?

:clap:
PROUD MEMBER OF THE CONVERSION ENTHUSIASTS
2009 Golden Boogs: McLinden Award
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

VIDEO: Canberra Raiders prop forward Josh Papalii says that around eight to ten players from last year’s grand final will not be playing against the Rooster’s this week, but he remains hopeful they will do something special this year: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/07/14/inj ... l-rematch/

Croker stunned by Raiders injury count: https://7news.com.au/sport/rugby-league ... -c-1164855
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Roosters by 67.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Butters wrote: July 14, 2020, 2:06 pm Alright I've got tickets to the game. Its gone on general sale.

yep, I just got a ticket. In the Brewongle Stand.

Very unusual that my first away game for the season will be 16 July, lets hope that it is not the only one we can go to.

I doubt games will be moved to Qld this week. It works out pretty well for the NRL that the only game in Qld this week involves two teams currently based there. Only the Cowboys and Broncos are getting on a plane this weekend.

What happens after that we will see. I can't see why the Raiders would need to go to Qld. We certainly wouldn't have any players living in Liverpool or Campbelltown.

Might be a certain irony that all our early games since the return were in Melbourne and Campbelltown - they may now be the least likely places to host games.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Roosters were *diabolical* in the first half v Cowboys. They just couldn't hold the ball (to be fair they returned to regular programming in the second half)

They also weren't all that good against the Saints

If we can get the bad Roosters rather than the barnstorming ones, we might just be half a chance. If they turn up though, it's hard to see us getting the W
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

2020 Rd 10 NRL teams: Raiders V Roosters

Canberra Raiders V Sydney Roosters
Thursday July 16 7:50pm
Sydney Cricket Ground
TV coverage: Nine, Fox League Channel 502
Radio: ABC, 2CC, Mix 106.3

The Canberra Raiders have named their squad for the Grand Final rematch against the Sydney Roosters at the Sydney Cricket Ground on Thursday night.

With Josh Hodgson (knee) and Bailey Simonsson (shoulder) ruled out for the season, Siliva Havili will start the match at hooker and Jordan Rapana will start on the wing.

Tom Starling will make his first appearance this season after being named on the bench, with Curtis Scott also returning to the 17.

MATCH PREVIEW: Canberra Raiders V Sydney Roosters: Team news, officials, history, stat attack, key match-ups and more! All you need to know: http://ow.ly/1aIC50AxyXb

Canberra Raiders

1. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
2. Nick Cotric
3. Jarrod Croker
4. Michael Oldfield
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Jack Wighton
7. George Williams
8. Josh Papalii
9. Siliva Havili
10. Dunamis Lui
11. Hudson Young
12. Elliott Whitehead
13. Joseph Tapine

14. Tom Starling
15. Kai O'Donnell
16. Ryan Sutton
17. Curtis Scott

18. Matt Frawley
19. Darby Medlyn
20. Sam Williams
21. Semi Valemei

Injury/Suspension

Emre Guler, Ankle (Rd 17-19)
John Bateman, Shoulder (Indefinite)
Corey Horsburgh, Foot (Indefinite, at best Rd 20, possibly season)
Sia Soliola, Palate (Likely season)
Bailey Simonsson, Shoulder (Season)
Josh Hodgson, Knee (Season)
Andre Niko, Knee (Season)
Sebastian Kris, Extended sick leave

Sydney Roosters

1. James Tedesco
2. Matt Ikuvalu
3. Josh Morris
4. Joseph Manu
5. Brett Morris
6. Luke Keary
7. Kyle Flanagan
8. Jared Waerea-Hargreaves
9. Jake Friend (c)
10. Siosiua Taukeiaho
11. Boyd Cordner (c)
12. Angus Crichton
13. Nat Butcher

14. Lachlan Lam
15. Sitili Tupouniua
16. Mitchell Aubusson
17. Lindsay Collins

18. Poasa Faamausili
19. Ryan Hall
20. Isaac Liu
21. Drew Hutchison

Officials

Referee: Gerard Sutton
Touch judges: Dave Munro, Todd Smith
Video referees: Jared Maxwell, Ben Galea

Match Hashtags: #NRL #WeareRaiders #NRLRoostersRaiders

The Greenhouse Hashtags: #WearGreen2020 #FromAllAngles

Plus follow us on Twitter: @TheGHRaiders and Instagram: @TheGHRaiders
Green Taipan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Big Mal

Post by Green Taipan »

Have to get Cotric to the centres where he can be most effective . Although Oldie is still searching for match-fitness and may improve, I don't see him in the centres. Wing or bench at best. He cost Simonsson a try (and possibly us a win) by lazily stopping in the defensive line last week.
It's a simple game; tackle, back-up, pass, hold the ball! What did I say? "Hold the bloody ball!!"
Gold member 2023
hrundi89
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by hrundi89 »

Bay53 wrote: July 14, 2020, 2:32 pm
Butters wrote: July 14, 2020, 2:06 pm Alright I've got tickets to the game. Its gone on general sale.

yep, I just got a ticket. In the Brewongle Stand.
Me too. Row G Seats 107-108.

$107 for Adult and child.

Outrageous, etc.
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Re: 2020 Rd 10 V Roosters: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by Dusty »

I can't pay that much for the terrible viewing experience the SCG provides.
2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
hrundi89
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by hrundi89 »

For me it's more about spending time with my son and going to what may be the only game we see this year.
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Yeah our bench is a problem aye. Not much we can do.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Azza wrote:Yeah our bench is a problem aye. Not much we can do.
Starting forwards just need to play big minutes.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

2020 Rd 10 V Roosters: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by LastRaider »

Cold, wet and drizzling in Sydney at the moment. Good Viking Weather!
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

LastRaider wrote: July 14, 2020, 4:16 pm
Azza wrote:Yeah our bench is a problem aye. Not much we can do.
Starting forwards just need to play big minutes.
We be ok mate. In Scott I trust