Jason Croker

Re: OFFICIAL: Bateman 'won't be at Raiders in 2021'

Post by Lui_Bon »

gergreg wrote: July 1, 2020, 9:12 pm
cat wrote:
gergreg wrote: July 1, 2020, 8:29 pm
cat wrote:
-PJ- wrote: July 1, 2020, 7:35 pm

Pearce left the chooks because Mrs Cronk got lonely...
Bj was NOT pushed out, he was offered a contract, wanted more and we said fair enough, same as boyd, Brenko
So why is our club subsidising his salary at the Tigers?

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk
Because by releasing him early, it freed up cash to upgrade, keep others

Its common practice these days

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.zerota ... 51657/amp/

You believe what you want to believe.

I think Ricky got the **** with BJs lack of discipline and wanted him gone. Scott became a possible replacement. Melbourne agreed to pay part of his salary to get him off their books, then we did the exact same thing with BJ, because we didn't want him here.

Joey was on a lot more money than you'd think. Equal highest salary in the club with one other player. I don't know who that was but I could guess.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Just put this here
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
RichmondRaider
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Jordy Raps

Post by RichmondRaider »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:Image

Just put this here
That's what contracts are for.

If jb was a complete plodder he'd still be getting his 600k. He still is now after his Scottie Pippen surgery
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Just put this here
didn't expect that from him, thought we showed him too much loyalty really

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Nah, not squeezed out at all.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.smh.co ... 53v6e.html

Shoving it in your face since 2017
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: July 1, 2020, 9:31 pm Image

Just put this here
Didn't the Raiders give him one more contract even throughout/after his knee went and it was already clear he'd never be a FG footballer again though? In general, I support his sentiment. Just a bit weird coming from one guy I think did get a bit of a charity/good bloke contract.

If JB can get the money- go get it. But if you want to roll that way- don't sign a long term contract, do it year by year SBW style. And don't release stories in GF week + the week before the comp restarts.
boydy80
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by boydy80 »

bonehead wrote: July 1, 2020, 9:40 pm

Just put this here
didn't expect that from him, thought we showed him too much loyalty really

If I remember correctly, Batman Luke got made a decent offer as well, and chose a one year deal instead in the hopes his value would go up in the mean time. Rolled the dice and came up snake eyes (knee injury) and the squad passed him by. Unlucky champ.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Long time creeper....... First time poster
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

**** off now Bateman.
This place is woke.
RichmondRaider
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Jordy Raps

Post by RichmondRaider »

The fact it was all about the 800+ and now it's all about 4 year deal says a lot about his shoulder I reckon
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

Question wrote: July 1, 2020, 9:56 pm **** off now Bateman.
100%
Bored of this now...
Looking forward to seeing who replaces him.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

OFFICIAL: Bateman 'won't be at Raiders in 2021'

Post by LastRaider »

GreenMachine wrote:
Question wrote: July 1, 2020, 9:56 pm **** off now Bateman.
100%
Bored of this now...
Looking forward to seeing who replaces him.
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

Just put this here
My god that is so!
Firstly, i agree the club showed more loyalty and compassion then they needed to, he got an extra year with all rehab paid for! It was up to him to use it

Secondly, he wants a job? Well looking like a 2 year old throwing a dummy spit isn't going to make me want to employ you!

You never burn bridges when you leave a job! You never know who knows who
Vaccinated
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Maybe stop playing bad and losing games then Luke, and you'd still be playing first grade. Why should a club stay loyal to under-performing players? You don't see Fensom having a whinge. When your time's up it's up.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley

Post by yeh raiders »

gergreg wrote: July 1, 2020, 9:43 pm Nah, not squeezed out at all.

I hated reading that.

Joey might never have been the sharpest tool out there on the field nor was he ever perfect, but Jesus his effort and workload was just exceptional. Took it upon himself to play a major role in our attacking sets. He didn’t care who the opposition was, he was never intimidated and would never shy away.

He grew a lot as a player in his time here and I respect him enormously. Loves his footy and is a genuine entertainer.

Really pissed me off reading that. Anyway...

Back on John Bateman...

Imagine being Jarrod Croker or Alan Tongue, doing everything for the Green jersey and this Jonneh Come Lateleh’ rocks up and EDIT
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

This line of 'clubs will let you go if you don't play well, the bastards' line **** infuriates me from football players.

Of course they'll let you go if you don't do your job very well. Do you know who else gets let go if they absolutely suck at their jobs and have a negative effect on the organisation? Literally everyone else on planet earth. The difference is we don't get inflated salaries in the first place to cushion the fall.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

yeh raiders wrote: July 1, 2020, 10:50 pm

I hated reading that.

Joey might never have been the sharpest tool out there on the field nor was he ever perfect, but Jesus his effort and workload was just exceptional. Took it upon himself to play a major role in our attacking sets. He didn’t care who the opposition was, he was never intimidated and would never shy away.

He grew a lot as a player in his time here and I respect him enormously. Loves his footy and is a genuine entertainer.
Just on that, I've been living out of Oz for the last few years and have a local friend here (Singapore) who has become a league fan after seeing the game. One of the first players she started to recognise was Joey- whose efforts were so notable she tagged him "That hard working guy", basically because whenever we were really under the pump he'd take a tough carry and do it well and the amount of fight he put in before he'd be held or offload. Then he'd be at the heart of our attacking raids too. It stood out.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

gergreg wrote: July 1, 2020, 9:12 pm
cat wrote:
gergreg wrote: July 1, 2020, 8:29 pm
cat wrote:
-PJ- wrote: July 1, 2020, 7:35 pm

Pearce left the chooks because Mrs Cronk got lonely...
Bj was NOT pushed out, he was offered a contract, wanted more and we said fair enough, same as boyd, Brenko
So why is our club subsidising his salary at the Tigers?

Because by releasing him early, it freed up cash to upgrade, keep others

Its common practice these days

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.zerota ... 51657/amp/

You believe what you want to believe.

I think Ricky got the **** with BJs lack of discipline and wanted him gone. Scott became a possible replacement. Melbourne agreed to pay part of his salary to get him off their books, then we did the exact same thing with BJ, because we didn't want him here.

That's all true, but Leilua was agitating for a contract extension two years from the end of his existing deal. His agreed 2020 wage was also at a rate that the club was clearly not interested in continuing for a longer term deal.

So he got the green light to look elsewhere. The club was pretty adamant they were happy for him to stay this season if he chose to do so.
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

That Luke Bateman quote really grinds my gears. What exactly did he expect the Raiders to do? How were they disloyal? They didn’t shaft him part way through a contract because he got injured. He chose to leave early, probably because his contract wasn’t big enough to stay on reduced coin due to Covid. Did he expect the Raiders to sign him to a 5 year $500k contract extension or something despite his admittedly bad form/losing/injuries?

If he’s such a good footballer go play for any of the other 15 NRL clubs or in England. The Warriors could use a few extra players.

That quote just oozes bitterness and is a really bad reflection on him. He got lucky with a contract for this year in the first place, considering he didn’t get a whiff of playing any first grade last year. And look how successful the Raiders were without him, made the GF.

The ball was in your court Luke. Play good footy, get paid bigger $$$, get longer contracts, get interest from other clubs. If you suck, maybe don’t bite the hand that fed you for the past few years. Be grateful you even got to play first grade.

I don’t see Sam Williams whinging. I don’t see Michael Oldfield whinging. I didn’t see Fensom whinging.

Time to move on buddy. I don’t think you’ll get welcomed back to the club in any capacity with that sort of attitude.

Good riddance.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Bateman is a loser. Lucky to get a contract this year, didn't contribute 2017 to 2019. Perennial underperformer. ****
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Timbo wrote: July 1, 2020, 11:02 pm This line of 'clubs will let you go if you don't play well, the bastards' line **** infuriates me from football players.

Of course they'll let you go if you don't do your job very well. Do you know who else gets let go if they absolutely suck at their jobs and have a negative effect on the organisation? Literally everyone else on planet earth. The difference is we don't get inflated salaries in the first place to cushion the fall.
Spot on.
It’s as if Playing NRL creates a sense of entitlement among the players.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

yeh raiders wrote: July 1, 2020, 10:50 pm

I hated reading that.

Really pissed me off reading that. Anyway...

Back on John Bateman...

Imagine being Jarrod Croker or Alan Tongue, doing everything for the Green jersey and this Jonneh Come Lateleh’ rocks up and EDIT
Can we run a poll on who is the better centre out of BJ and Scott? I want to see if Botman is willing to go to the nth degree of trolling and vote for Scott.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley

Post by yeh raiders »

Haha look Botman doesn’t need me defending him but he’s so vocal it’s difficult not to follow what he says.

If I recall correctly, he wasn’t concerned moving BJ on at the time given it appeared as though the money would be spent locking up John Bateman and Curtis Scott had shown enough potential at the time.

Fair points, you can make a decent case.

What hardly anyone considered, was that the grass was not greener. Bateman’s gone, Joey’s gone and Scott’s playing likes he’s gone!

Hindsight’s a lovely thing, but we should’ve doubled-down this year and had the strongest possible squad positioned to win the comp this season, instead of trying to create a “dynasty” and keep all our “big names” long term. Doesn’t work that way, unless you’re just extremely lucky like Melbourne or The Roosters.

Heck we’ve waited 25 years and we thought it wiser to keep playing the long game...
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

I felt that i was pretty noisy at the time that moving leilua regardless of what you do with bateman was stupid.

When you are in a premiership window you dont can ppl on the last year of a relatively club favourable deal.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

You guys can check the tape on this.
I was very clear the entire way if the decision was mine, that i would not have been moving Beej for Scott. I said i understood why the club was making that kind of move but i made it very clear that i believe Beej to be the better player and an important part of the team.
I was and continue to be bullish on Scott's potential but i reckon i said about 10 different times that would have beej in our team over him every day of the week

So miss me with that nonsense, fellas
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley

Botman wrote: July 2, 2020, 9:04 am You guys can check the tape on this.
I was very clear the entire way if the decision was mine, that i would not have been moving Beej for Scott. I said i understood why the club was making that kind of move but i made it very clear that i believe Beej to be the better player and an important part of the team.
I was and continue to be bullish on Scott's potential but i reckon i said about 10 different times that would have beej in our team over him every day of the week

So miss me with that nonsense, fellas
:lol: No doubt Scott is the goat, just not the acronym type. Hopefully he can show some worth this season though.
Last edited by Roger Kenworthy on July 2, 2020, 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

yeh raiders wrote: July 2, 2020, 8:17 am If I recall correctly, he wasn’t concerned moving BJ on at the time given it appeared as though the money would be spent locking up John Bateman and Curtis Scott had shown enough potential at the time.

Fair points, you can make a decent case.

What hardly anyone considered, was that the grass was not greener. Bateman’s gone, Joey’s gone and Scott’s playing likes he’s gone!
That's very fair but lets be clear too, the club did offer a substantial upgrade, which in hindsight, the JB should have taken... so that absolutely the plan for club. They moved on Beej because he had a falling out with the coach and they saw it as a chance to free up space to lock up JB..
The results could not have gone worse, but imo that was clear at the time that that was the plan and that's what's played out, save for the fact they probably didnt account for Scott playing this level of football and JB and his crew Moses'ing themselves out of a good deal.

To your point, you're right, teams, decision makers and fans... most especially fans generally take the best case scenario as sort of a given. And yeah, when weird **** happens and you dont get the results you expect, those decisions can look catastrophic in a real hurry
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Just put this here
This should be a warning to any club that wants to sign him. Doesn't matter what deal you give him he'll always be looking for a better offer.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Very poor tweet from Luke Bateman. The club extended his contract for another year.

Not their fault he wasn’t good enough to earn a contract at another club or in the UK.

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: July 2, 2020, 9:10 am :lol: No doubt Scott is the goat, just not the acronym type. Hopefully he can show some worth this season though.
I wear the jokes about Scott, i have them coming :lol:
But ill be damned if im categorised as anti-Beej when i was one of his loudest supported in his final 2 years for us.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley

Botman wrote: July 2, 2020, 9:31 am
Roger Kenworthy wrote: July 2, 2020, 9:10 am :lol: No doubt Scott is the goat, just not the acronym type. Hopefully he can show some worth this season though.
I wear the jokes about Scott, i have them coming :lol:
But ill be damned if im categorised as anti-Beej when i was one of his loudest supported in his final 2 years for us.
Yup I found it hard to understand why we were so quick to cut ties with him. While he didn't have the attacking highlights of years past in 2019 he was immense coming off our own line all season, and you can never calculate his value as an attacking threat opening up opportunities for others.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: July 2, 2020, 9:39 am Yup I found it hard to understand why we were so quick to cut ties with him. While he didn't have the attacking highlights of years past in 2019 he was immense coming off our own line all season, and you can never calculate his value as an attacking threat opening up opportunities for others.
there was an article around the time we played the tigers where Beej spilled his guts a little on it... feels like he and Stuart had a falling out and both were more than happy to move on.
I agree it sucks, beej at his best is one of the best 2-3 centres in the league.
It sucks even more when the guy you got to replace him is playing so poorly he's effectively been dropped 6 weeks into the season
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Are you guys in the right thread? :?
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
amiafish
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Past: Ricky Stuart Present: Xavier Savage

Post by amiafish »

I was happy with BJ going, probably for similar reasons to Ricky. He was slow and overweight (and reading between the lines, dragging his heels about losing it) and then there was the consistent stupid stuff he did on the field (e.g. putting knees into people's backs).

You've got to remember, Ricky made this decision before the six-again rule change, when the assumption was that the tight, low-error footy we employed so successfully in 2019 would be what was required again in 2020 and beyond. In that context, BJ was a poor fit going forward. In hindsight, with Scott being such a hopeless case and the rule changes placing a premium on game-breakers, a slimmed down BJ (assuming he would have knuckled under and lost the weight) would have been very useful. But, given the available information at the time, I think it's the correct decision that we release him.
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

Pretty sure the club had question marks over how long before BJ started to lose his effectiveness due to age/injury and therefore wasnt worth extending on big money.
You have to remember Curtis Scott is 6/7 years younger, sure his form has been poor but i don't think its guaranteed that Bj is still the better footballer in 2022 or even possibly 2021, it would need a big turnaround but i'm with the Pig in that i still think hes capable of being a very good nrl centre, whether we see it in green or not is up to curtis (and Ricky to a lesser extent).
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley

amiafish wrote: July 2, 2020, 10:05 am I was happy with BJ going, probably for similar reasons to Ricky. He was slow and overweight (and reading between the lines, dragging his heels about losing it) and then there was the consistent stupid stuff he did on the field (e.g. putting knees into people's backs).

You've got to remember, Ricky made this decision before the six-again rule change, when the assumption was that the tight, low-error footy we employed so successfully in 2019 would be what was required again in 2020 and beyond. In that context, BJ was a poor fit going forward. In hindsight, with Scott being such a hopeless case and the rule changes placing a premium on game-breakers, a slimmed down BJ (assuming he would have knuckled under and lost the weight) would have been very useful. But, given the available information at the time, I think it's the correct decision that we release him.
He may have had his moments with this but I don't think it ever drastically impacted his performance on the park. The brain explosions were a constant risk, no debating that.