Raiders player signing speculation 2020

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2020

Post by BadnMean »

edwahu wrote: July 1, 2020, 8:25 am Yeah we should aim higher. I know we lost a couple of games but the club would still be an attractive destination for players.
I agree. Any top quality player would have the mindset that, "Raiders have a pretty good squad, I bet I can add what Scott isn't/what they miss from Bateman etc". Titans and Dogs have to sell on "we can turn this around, we are building something."- meanwhile you look at their roster and... nuh.

We can sell on "You can be the difference in making a premiership happen here..."

It's a fortunate position and we should use it. I honestly think if we were good 4 years ago, Teddy would happily have chosen Raiders over Roosters.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

edwahu wrote: July 1, 2020, 8:25 am Yeah we should aim higher. I know we lost a couple of games but the club would still be an attractive destination for players.
I agree. Any top quality player would have the mindset that, "Raiders have a pretty good squad, I bet I can add what Scott isn't/what they miss from Bateman etc". Titans and Dogs have to sell on "we can turn this around, we are building something."- meanwhile you look at their roster and... nuh.

We can sell on "You can be the difference in making a premiership happen here..."

It's a fortunate position and we should use it. I honestly think if we were good 4 years ago, Teddy would happily have chosen Raiders over Roosters.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

Vaughan or TPJ back for the right price would be nice...
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

This probably won't be a popular opinion but I think no Bateman has shown that we are genuinely a bit too rigid across the squad with the change that comes with age in Papalii, Whitehead and Soliola. While these players were always pretty bloody versatile they've all become very much locked down in their current positions. Gone are the days where we could get away with Whitehead filling in at five-eighth or centre or one of the other 2 filling in on an edge. In less than a season Bateman became our genuine utility and Mr.Fix-It whilst also being a world class second rower or lock. It was a comfort we probably won't have again. I know we've carried a back on the bench for a season now but Stuart's reluctance in using that back to chase points when need be really makes it a wasted bench spot. Bateman literally covered an injury in the halves, at hooker and the back 5.

Without him the outside back #17 covers a backline injury but that's about it. There's no genuine half cover and if Tapine is gassed, suspended or injured, no genuine second row cover either. I've thought that Croker or Rapana would probably have to become the back up half in these cases purely due to experience and bit of natural talent with ball in hand and on foot. Whitehead at 6 and Rapana in the second row trying to chase points 3 weeks ago really made me cringe as an avid supporter. Meanwhile last week Parramatta were able to bring on Brad Takairangi (a much maligned player yes, but indeed a solid squad member) to fill in and do a good enough job in the halves. The beauty of him on their bench is he also covers second row and the outside backs.

I know they're not exactly common players but without Bateman it'd be nice if the squad had a genuine utility to play that bench role. Someone who can fill in on an edge or in the halves at a pinch. A Peachey/May/Takairangi type player would definitely make the gameday squad a bit more secure than it stands currently. (not advocating the signing of those players I just feel we're desperate for that utility without JB). This rigidity trickles down in the squad to the back up halves and hooker Williams, Frawley and Starling too as they're not capable of filling in anywhere else at NRL level at all. This means they are nothing but injury reserves and give Stuart no options of a shift at all considering the spine is very much locked in.

I don't know what the answer is but I see it as a continuing problem while Bateman is out this year and rolling into next as well. A second rower will be easy to find but being able to cover that genuine utility will definitely not.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

how so? big body nrl quality middles

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

julian87 wrote:Boyle/Paseka are 2 very odd picks.
above

Edrick The Entertainer
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

bonehead wrote: July 1, 2020, 12:35 pm
above

They look the part physically but don't look like career first graders due to output imo.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

julian87 wrote:
bonehead wrote: July 1, 2020, 12:35 pm
above

They look the part physically but don't look like career first graders due to output imo.
fair enough, both to me seem on a solid trend and would complement Papalii, Guler and Red in the middle

Edrick The Entertainer
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Post by Neeeegz »

Alex Johnson if we don't re sign raps ? And even jhn and okenbor too... would be a bit ironic tho if the money pig goes to the bulldogs :roflmao
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Neeeegz wrote:Alex Johnson if we don't re sign raps ? And even jhn and okenbor too... would be a bit ironic tho if the money pig goes to the bulldogs :roflmao
Alex Johnson would be massive overs for a winger, I don't rate him an upgrade on CNK.
Haerawira Naira only broke protocol by taking someone into camp, he's got unlucky imo, she was over 18 and he didn't meet her at any school. If Okunbor didn't stuff up CHN probably cops a slap on the wrist. I'd have him in our set-up.

Edrick The Entertainer
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raiders666 »

So do we have a war chest now? How much would Scott be on do you guys reckon? Bj and Bateman gone.. A bunch of 2nd stringers this yr also..Cotric possibly?
Surely we have money to be bringing a player or 2 in. Juniors are fine but if they aren't ready they aren't helping.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Raiders666 wrote:So do we have a war chest now? How much would Scott be on do you guys reckon? Bj and Bateman gone.. A bunch of 2nd stringers this yr also..Cotric possibly?
Surely we have money to be bringing a player or 2 in. Juniors are fine but if they aren't ready they aren't helping.
Don said we'd be in the market possibly even this year

Edrick The Entertainer
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raiders666 »

Does the June 30 rule count this yr?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Raiders666 wrote: July 1, 2020, 8:33 pm Does the June 30 rule count this yr?
It’s end August this year.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Raiders666 wrote: July 1, 2020, 8:15 pm So do we have a war chest now? How much would Scott be on do you guys reckon? Bj and Bateman gone.. A bunch of 2nd stringers this yr also..Cotric possibly?
I'd think we have the 750k we offered Bateman.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

edwahu wrote: July 1, 2020, 8:46 pm
Raiders666 wrote: July 1, 2020, 8:15 pm So do we have a war chest now? How much would Scott be on do you guys reckon? Bj and Bateman gone.. A bunch of 2nd stringers this yr also..Cotric possibly?
I'd think we have the 750k we offered Bateman.
We don’t have all that, as the upgrade portion ha# gone somewhere else.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Looks like Adam Elliot is one target

NRL rivals circle Adam Elliott after Bulldogs’ ‘low-ball’ contract offer

Canterbury favourite Adam Elliott could be in his final season at Belmore, with at least two NRL rivals circling the hardworking Bulldogs forward.

It’s understood St George Illawarra and Canberra have expressed interest in Elliott for next season and beyond.

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... e7f666a953

He is no Bateman but he is improving as a player.
Last edited by edwahu on July 1, 2020, 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

Off the top of my head, this year we’ve lost:

L. Bateman
JJ Collins
J. Murchie

J. Bateman in 2021

I assume some have been replaced.???

But I would also assume we got cash to spend. Bring on the speculation!

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Villame Kikcow.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Adam Elliott is an imposter, easy to improve from absolute trash

Edrick The Entertainer
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

bonehead wrote: July 1, 2020, 9:08 pm Adam Elliott is an imposter, easy to improve from absolute trash

Did you watch him this year?
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

So I’ve been thinking about Batemans replacement and I like Dale Finucane from the Storm. Played under Bellamy for quite a while, SOO representative as well. Off contract for 2021 and he and his wife are from the Bega Valley, 3 hours from Canberra. Just had his first baby, I think he would fit in nicely. Never let you down either.
UncleDrew
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Aidan Sezer

Post by UncleDrew »

Apparently we are after Asiata from the Cowboys.

Bidding war erupts for Cowboys powerhouse: Cowboys premiership forward John Asiata is on the verge of quitting North Queensland with four NRL rivals tabling offers to one of the most skilled big men in the competition: https://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nr ... d0a6a3d45b
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Seems it's as a lock

John Asiata set to quit North Queensland Cowboys

A Cowboys premiership forward is on the verge of quitting North Queensland with four NRL rivals tabling offers to one of the most skilled big men in the competition.

The Raiders are in the frame with Canberra coach Ricky Stuart having cash to spend after British star John Bateman‘s decision to leave the Green Machine at the end of the season.

Read more: https://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nr ... d0a6a3d45b
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

I'm not sure who I'd rather our of Elliot and Asiata. I'd assume both aren't an option unless they do something left field like move Tapine up front.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Where do you reckon Asiata's position is? Ball playing lock? Mobile enough for right edge? Handy enough #14 but we have Havilii.

I'm not totally convinced Elliot isn't a ploder. Asiata hasn't done much at all this year either though. At his best Asiata adds a layer of skills that very few other forwards add. I'm just not sure he's very good at one primary job- bit of a Tyrone Peachy issue, good player but where do you put him.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

edwahu wrote:
bonehead wrote: July 1, 2020, 9:08 pm Adam Elliott is an imposter, easy to improve from absolute trash

Did you watch him this year?
yes, he's impersonating an nrl player this season, good on him, form is temporary

Edrick The Entertainer
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

Finucane would be a fine option. Very different player to bateman but like what he will bring in terms of experience.

If i could dream for a moment naturally if love to get fifita, but you'd have to pay him a lot. I'd also love for us to have a crack at wade Graham. Getting on and has his injury problems but he is an absolute stud and could be lured for another tilt at a premiership. While i appreciate he is on contract im sure they'd be a way he could break it if both us and he were willing.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

I think Asiata has pulled the wool over a lot of eyes because he’s had those stints in the halves. He’s not that great at being a genuine forward imo.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

Asiata!?!?
I don’t really remember his good games in the middle

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

elliott is an over enthusiastic gumby. touches the ball and gets involved way too much for someone as rubbish as he is
Dont delete this GE
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raiders666 »

Surely we aim higher than those 2 ....
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Both are squad fillers. Not overly excited about signing either but OK if we did. Our middle forward depth has taken a hit this year so might need somebody to fill the space. Longer term we need to replace Sia so I'd rather look at a decent quality starting option.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I would be pretty disappointed if Elliott was the JB replacement.
He's a solid footballer but has limited upside imo, and he's never going to really impact games.

We can and should do better.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Looking at Zero Tackle website and the off contract edge backrowers. Not a lot of walk up starters there. Might be worth looking at a short term deal for the guys nearing the end of their career like Aubsusson or Proctor. Otherwise Isaiah Papali'i would be worth an enquiry. Only 21 and has a fair bit of talent. Might do better in a more settled environment than he has a the Warriors.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.