Cotric signs with Bulldogs on $2 million three year deal

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

thegreenmachine
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Re: Canterbury Bulldogs reportedly targeting Nick Cotric

Post by thegreenmachine »

If Cotric wants to play centres, we could've just moved him there and Simonsson to the wing. We also have oldfield as backup/option.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

There must be incredibly short odds of Cotric playing in the centres before the season ends.
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

greeneyed wrote: June 28, 2020, 11:48 am
Northern Raider wrote:Any detail on why Cotric would move club just to play centre? I can only think that the wing position is carrying some old school stigma about being a lesser role. In the modern game wingers have far more involvement than centres. The idea that moving further in will give you more opportunities is misguided.

If Dogs are willing to fork out $600k for him then I see that as a bigger incentive that a positional change.
I was going to say the same thing. Now I don’t have to, so I won’t.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Hasn't centre become one of the lowest paid positions in the game. Wingers have a higher work rate than centres these days. Wingers no longer just sit on the flank waiting for the ball to come their way.

I cant see Cotric leaving our club over a position , unless its changing for the fullback role and I cant see a club looking at him for that role.

Dogs are going to be linked to everybody , they have the old warchest for next year.
Sleek the Elite
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jackie Boi

Post by Sleek the Elite »

Then it's settled.

Cotric will be staying here to earn big money playing on the wing.

Glad we got that sorted out.
Forum members with gravitas: greeneyed, Seiffert82, dubby.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

A winger is not just a more involved centre, good god. BJ would be wasted on the wing, as would Bradman Best, Cromer, Waqa Blake Jennings... if you think they're just less involved wingers then I can't help you

Cotric should be centre
Damoni
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Too Easy

Canterbury Bulldogs reportedly targeting Nick Cotric

Post by Damoni »

Stuart fumes at manager's role after Bateman's move to exit Raiders

Canberra coach Ricky Stuart has launched a scathing attack on John Bateman's manager Isaac Moses while urging the NRL to stop agents from "agitating and manipulating rosters".

The Green Machine are also in negotiations with winger Nick Cotric who has stalled on a whopping five-year deal worth around $2.5m to consider an even bigger contract from Canterbury. Cotric is keen to play centre, a positional shift that can be accommodated at Belmore.

Read more: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/john-b ... 557jy.html

Scroll to bottom of article Cotric considering the Bulldogs deal.....this is slowly becoming the week from hell for a raiders fan
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

If we lose Cotric then we have to throw a mill at D Fifita
greeneyed
Don Furner

Canterbury Bulldogs reportedly targeting Nick Cotric

Post by greeneyed »

Why do reporters keep saying a Cotric wants to play centre? He’s said the opposite in the past? Just late last year, in fact.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Canberra Raiders offer Nick Cotric three-year deal

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders offer Nick Cotric three-year deal

The Canberra Raiders have offered NSW Blues winger Nick Cotric a three-year deal, but are still waiting to hear back from his manager.

"There's an offer on the table he's obviously considering. We'll see where we go with it," Raiders recuitmetn guru Peter Mulholland said. "You've got to compete in the market place and we've put an offer forward we believe is what he's worth."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... #gsc.tab=0
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Tough gig when you're competing against clubs throwing money at players well in excess of what they are actually worth.
Sleek the Elite
Brett Mullins

greeneyed wrote: June 30, 2020, 9:28 pm Why do reporters keep saying a Cotric wants to play centre? He’s said the opposite in the past? Just late last year, in fact.
Ummm, b/c he does?

Maybe you'll believe it when he's running around in a blue and white jersey and playing in that position next year.

Too late then to do anything about it unfortunately.

No-one who's ever played in those positions would prefer wing over centre. No-one.
Sleek the Elite
Brett Mullins

Canberra Milk wrote: June 30, 2020, 12:44 pm A winger is not just a more involved centre, good god. BJ would be wasted on the wing, as would Bradman Best, Cromer, Waqa Blake Jennings... if you think they're just less involved wingers then I can't help you

Cotric should be centre
Of course he should be.

If he's not playing in that position on Friday night though, I don't think he'll be playing there for us next year.

Or for us at all.
Kryptonite
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Terry Reagan

Post by Kryptonite »

AUSTEZER wrote: June 27, 2020, 4:42 pm Which would hurt the club more losing John or Nick?
Long term losing Nick would be far worse considering RS is persisting with Scott, this is on RS if we lose Nick, Bateman p, given his personal situation was only ever a short term arrangement and has no emotional affiliation with the club or the area
I expect to see Oldy on the wing and Nick in the centres on Friday, I also think that if Rapana was available and Mounties were an option for Scott, that’s where he would be
Ilanraiders
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Rubenrunlikeatrainandhitlikeatruckwiki!

Post by Ilanraiders »

Losing Cotric n Bateman will hurt the club!! 1 had his heart in the club n the other was just a shell here.
Here we see the club pay Bankman while he is sitting there injured, if we drop out of the race for the top 8 before he gets back, hope sticky doesn’t give him a run...a disgrace to the club. He doesn’t deserve a chance to be in the lime green anymore.
Fox sports saying he led the Raiders to the GF!! What a load of ****!!! It’s the team, if anyone was a standout in the finals it would’ve been Wighton n Papa! Can’t wait to see the back of Bankman!
"Learn to appreciate what you have, before time makes you appreciate what you had"!! RAIDERSTILLIDIE!!
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

If the Raiders were offering $600k for him to play wing and the Bulldogs $500k to play centre he wouldn’t be going anywhere. The talk about positional change is purely a diversion.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

greeneyed wrote: June 30, 2020, 9:28 pm Why do reporters keep saying a Cotric wants to play centre? He’s said the opposite in the past? Just late last year, in fact.

My point exactly.
Lazy journalism.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Sleek the Elite wrote: July 1, 2020, 2:02 am
Ummm, b/c he does?

Maybe you'll believe it when he's running around in a blue and white jersey and playing in that position next year.

No-one who's ever played in those positions would prefer wing over centre. No-one.
If Cotric wants to play centre, i hope he understands what that will mean for his rep career... You think NSW or Aussie selectors will pick him at centre over Wighton or Tommy T? Or which ever other stud fullback emerges and is simply too good to leave out.

Latrell Mitchell moved out of centre to fullback because even he recognised the diminishing role the centre position has. Teams arent paying huge money for centres anymore. From a career and financial perspective, no-one who's paid even a cursory level of attention to RL would advise a SOO/Australian winger to switch positions to centre. No-one.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Botman wrote: July 1, 2020, 8:29 am
Ummm, b/c he does?

If Cotric wants to play centre, i hope he understands what that will mean for his rep career... You think NSW or Aussie selectors will pick him at centre over Wighton or Tommy T? Or which ever other stud fullback emerges and is simply too good to leave out.

Latrell Mitchell moved out of centre to fullback because even he recognised the diminishing role the centre position has. Teams arent paying huge money for centres anymore. From a career and financial perspective, no-one who's paid even a cursory level of attention to RL would advise a SOO/Australian winger to switch positions to centre. No-one.
Centre was a 'glamour' position in the 80's and 90's. It began to morph in the 00's and in the last 10 years has seen the role diminish into more of a link man. Even to the point where selectors are completely overlooking players who are permanent centres for their club (as you pointed out). Last Origin series NSW had Jack (5/8) and Turbo (fullback), while QLD had Morgan (halfback). Even a cursory look at the current NRL team sheets shows very little 'star power' in the centres.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Ummm, b/c he does?

What a load of bollocks.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

If he genuinely wants to play centre I'm 100% sure Ricky would say, "Ok, let's have a look" and take the perfect opportunity this weekend. We'll know if there's any truth to it by where Oldy lines up.

Cotric showed some potential there in his last stint- without ever playing the blinder that would have made it a sure thing either.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

BadnMean wrote: July 1, 2020, 8:50 am

If he genuinely wants to play centre I'm 100% sure Ricky would say, "Ok, let's have a look" and take the perfect opportunity this weekend. We'll know if there's any truth to it by where Oldy lines up.

Cotric showed some potential there in his last stint- without ever playing the blinder that would have made it a sure thing either.
As I said earlier, it's a diverting attention away from talk about money, which is the true deciding factor. #smokescreen.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

Ummm, b/c he does?

There's not huge money on the wing either. Latrell was still offered $800k to be a Roosters centre. They wouldn't have offered him that amount for the wing.

Interestingly too, the centre has become a bit more relevant this year with the rule changes. Look at Waqa Blake vs Panthers, Bradman Best in general, Jennings renaissance
amiafish
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Past: Ricky Stuart Present: Xavier Savage

Post by amiafish »

Canberra Milk wrote: July 1, 2020, 10:55 am Interestingly too, the centre has become a bit more relevant this year with the rule changes. Look at Waqa Blake vs Panthers, Bradman Best in general, Jennings renaissance
Good point. With quicker play-the-balls and retreating/fatigued defenses, there's going to be more scope for centres into the future.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

While the Dogs need upgrades in most areas they have a critical need in the spine. Looks like their willing to double down on Foran, hoping he can stay healthy. That still leaves fullback, half and hooker as gaping holes. Instead of over paying for centres and back rowers they should be reserving cash for those spots. They are already hovering over the Cam Smith retirement question to see if they can swoop on Harry Grant or Brandon Smith. I'd also be dangling some serious coin in front of Joseph Manu to play fullback.
Roy Rover
Chris O'Sullivan

Post by Roy Rover »

Seiffert82 wrote: June 30, 2020, 10:54 pm Tough gig when you're competing against clubs throwing money at players well in excess of what they are actually worth.
We were one of those clubs not too long ago and we could barely land anyone.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Ummm, b/c he does?

I understand what you're saying but I don't particularly agree with it here. I might be wrong but wasn't Cotric selected on the wing last year after he'd been playing centre (pretty patchily for us)? Also Tommy Trbo has his 3rd serious hamstring injury in 12 months, that's a huuuuuge concern for him and Manly. He's an absolute gun but they'd be just as happy picking him on the wing when fit IMO.

If Trbo is unavailable when Origin comes around. And Cotric has had half a season at right centre and done ok I think we'd see him and Wighton picked. I don't see Fittler picking Latrell any time soon given his pathetic lack of effort in game one last year.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

And just on where he wants to play. Surely Stuart wouldn't drop Curtis Scott, keep Cotric on the wing and use Oldfield at centre if Cotric wanted that centre spot.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

He wouldn't have even signed Scott in the first place if Cotric wanted that spot. We would have signed a winger instead.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

zim wrote: July 1, 2020, 11:22 am He wouldn't have even signed Scott in the first place if Cotric wanted that spot. We would have signed a winger instead.
100% agreed.
If Cotric was hell bent on playing centre, he'd be there now, Beej would be at the tigers and Scott would not be a Raider.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

Freddy has already shown his hand, he has no issue picking players out of position as long as they're good enough.

Particularly when your opposing centres are the likes of Michael Morgan, Moses Mbye or a broken Will Chambers.

I don't think Cotric does himself much of a disservice to his rep prospects, if he's playing in the centres at club level. If anything, it will further demonstrate his versatility.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

yeh raiders wrote: July 1, 2020, 12:18 pm Freddy has already shown his hand, he has no issue picking players out of position as long as they're good enough.

Particularly when your opposing centres are the likes of Michael Morgan, Moses Mbye or a broken Will Chambers.

I don't think Cotric does himself much of a disservice to his rep prospects, if he's playing in the centres at club level. If anything, it will further demonstrate his versatility.
That's been NSW modus operandi for a long time before Freddy took over. The entire backline used to be filled with fullbacks. It's finally paying off because the quality of opposition has gone down the toilet.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I've not heard Nick say he prefers centre at any stage.

He's a local boy who loves the town and club.

I'd be very surprised if he even dipped a toe in the market.

FWIW..he's a centre if I'm picking the side..in our current set-up.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
RichmondRaider
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Jordy Raps

Post by RichmondRaider »

He's not worth 600k. If that's what it takes get Don's keys
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

RichmondRaider wrote:He's not worth 600k. If that's what it takes get Don's keys
I disagree. I’m happy with $600k a season over 3 years with no get out clause what so ever!
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

If we could snag a 21 year old Origin and Kangaroos rep, who is top 3 in tackle breaks for his position (in a year where he's a tad short of his best no less), played 80 NRL games and never had a major injury and who'd played GF's, semi finals etc wouldn't we jump at it? For how much over 3 years? 500k? I'd jump at that.

I guess you are weighing up whether COtric has his best footy to come or he's past it. I'd say there'll be good footy to come. Be it at winger or centre. I think he'd be a hell of a 2nd rower too if ever the edge came off his pace.

500, yep. 600- maybe high, maybe spot on. SOmeone would likely offer it. 550? I'd pay it.