Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: Bateman 'won't be at Raiders in 2021'

Post by Botman »

amiafish wrote: June 30, 2020, 2:35 pm
Botman wrote: June 30, 2020, 2:28 pm
simo wrote: June 30, 2020, 2:26 pm
Pretty rubbish commentary. Its like saying your mrs is fickle because she calls you a piece of **** for cheating on her.
Except bateman hasnt cheated on us. He has operated entirely within the confines of his agreement with the club and with the expressed endorsement of the club.
Except manipulating a contract to the detriment of the club that bent over backwards to make you welcome is exactly the kind of act that drives NRL fans to distraction.

Are we happy to just go down the path of other uber-corporatised sports like the NFL/MLB where it's so nakedly a cash grab from all concerned? The fact that we've avoided this to some extent in Rugby League is one reason why fans love the game.
He didn’t manipulate the contract as far as Ive seen reported. He’s exercised an option in that contract.

As for the second part, I think we’re already there and I’m ok with it. It’s just the nature of sports
Azza
Laurie Daley

Re: OFFICIAL: Bateman 'won't be at Raiders in 2021'

Post by Azza »

I can understand the anger of some fans, but they aren't covering themselves in glory with the way they are carrying on. I don't really think we want players with the money first attitude at the club anyway... I'm pretty sure Bateman won't be as strong anywhere else in the NRL as he was here at the Raiders in 2019.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

simo wrote: June 30, 2020, 2:47 pm
hrundi89 wrote: June 30, 2020, 2:36 pm
simo wrote: June 30, 2020, 2:32 pm
Botman wrote: June 30, 2020, 2:28 pm
simo wrote: June 30, 2020, 2:26 pm
Pretty rubbish commentary. Its like saying your mrs is fickle because she calls you a piece of **** for cheating on her.
Except bateman hasnt cheated on us. He has operated entirely within the confines of his agreement with the club and with the expressed endorsement of the club.
Hahahaha ooook. You may as well add “in my opinion” to the end of that waffle
No he's actually right. It was a kooky contract, but one that may not have got him here if it was different.
His contract allowed him to negotiate with us. It did not allow him to seek offers elsewhere or threaten to walk out which he did.
He was given permission by the club to seek other offers when negotiations with us came to a stall
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

He rejected our upgrade, which was written into his contract.

This has Issac Moses written all over it.

I'm at ease with Bateman heading home. He's missing his girl. But to move to another NRL club sits ugly with me. I'm just so dissapointed really because 3yrs of JohnBoy has turned into 1.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

bonehead wrote: June 30, 2020, 12:47 pm disappointing but at least we can move forward with recruitment

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Yep. Good to get it confirmed.

The compo payment made to Wigan must be a sore point for the club.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

-PJ- wrote:He rejected our upgrade, which was written into his contract.

I'm at ease with Bateman heading home. He's missing his girl. But to move to another NRL club sits ugly with me. I'm just so dissapointed really because 3yrs of JohnBoy has turned into 1.
empty the tank

Edrick The Entertainer
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

bonehead wrote: June 30, 2020, 3:04 pm
-PJ- wrote:He rejected our upgrade, which was written into his contract.

empty the tank

It is what is it boner, his 2019 had us all excited. And now he's gone.

I wish him all the best, I really do. But it's dissapointing how the whole shebang has played out.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Raider47 wrote: June 30, 2020, 1:53 pm Also, James Hooper will be feeling pretty smug right about now. And rightly so, he was crucified by Bateman.
Even The Greenhouse was attacked at various times, for simply linking people to the story. But clearly... perhaps not all the details... but the story was fundamentally correct all along.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Gutted. Has our premiership window closed. Hope not aye.
Leebola
Brett Mullins

Post by Leebola »

Azza wrote: June 30, 2020, 3:37 pm Gutted. Has our premiership window closed. Hope not aye.
Of course it hasn't. This situation sucks, and we won't win it this year, but the open window has a few years yet.
Peter
Jason Croker

Post by Peter »

If he is going back to Wigan, I’m fine with it.

If he is staying in the NRL, it is a kick in the teeth to the club that brought him over. Especially after they let him postpone his surgery to pursue representative honours, pretty much at the expense of our entire 2020 campaign.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Hazza wrote: June 30, 2020, 2:44 pm
Botman wrote: June 30, 2020, 2:27 pm
afgtnk wrote: June 30, 2020, 2:20 pm Replacing him won't be too hard. This isn't a halfback or a hooker. Plenty of quality out there and we should have the right money to buy a very good player, instead of a Joel Thompson who's not much more than a run of the mill footballer on the last legs of his career.
Yeah the question is do you go for a highly touted young prospect the way we targeted Tapine?
Do you take a swing at a damaged asset who has high upside like a CHN/TPJ? Maybe Crighton is someone the Roosters would be keen to move on from given although he's good, he's probably not delivering what they're paying him for.
Or is just finding a good reliable footy player as depth and focus on developing from within via guys like Hudson Young?

Lot of different ways you can approach it. But it's a big hole in our team now.
You mustn't have watched many chooks games this year. Crichton's been outstanding.
Outstanding is a stretch. I would say he's been good and finally elevated himself to the 2nd best edge back rower at the club.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Northern Raider wrote: June 30, 2020, 3:48 pm
Hazza wrote: June 30, 2020, 2:44 pm
Botman wrote: June 30, 2020, 2:27 pm
afgtnk wrote: June 30, 2020, 2:20 pm Replacing him won't be too hard. This isn't a halfback or a hooker. Plenty of quality out there and we should have the right money to buy a very good player, instead of a Joel Thompson who's not much more than a run of the mill footballer on the last legs of his career.
Yeah the question is do you go for a highly touted young prospect the way we targeted Tapine?
Do you take a swing at a damaged asset who has high upside like a CHN/TPJ? Maybe Crighton is someone the Roosters would be keen to move on from given although he's good, he's probably not delivering what they're paying him for.
Or is just finding a good reliable footy player as depth and focus on developing from within via guys like Hudson Young?

Lot of different ways you can approach it. But it's a big hole in our team now.
You mustn't have watched many chooks games this year. Crichton's been outstanding.
Outstanding is a stretch. I would say he's been good and finally elevated himself to the 2nd best edge back rower at the club.
Yeah the roosters are paying him as if he's the best 2nd rower in the world... it's not that he isnt good, it's that he's not quite what the roosters are paying him for and that is a club that doesnt mind moving on from that sort of deal if they can pivot elsewhere

they may in fact tell us to get **** and they're happy to pay Crichton because they believe he'll continue to get better and be worth what they're paying him for, but it's at least worth a phone call for us i think.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Botman I know you've been pretty hardline on your opinion that sports stars should just chase dollars because of their limited window, loyalty is dead, etc.

But I think even within those parameters there are certainly limits.

You have stressed that fact that NRL players are in an exceptional category whereby they should be entitled to chase every dollar to the bitter end because of their window...

But if Bateman goes to the dogs for a mere 50k more over a couple years, is that purportedly absolute principle really all that absolute?

I genuinely reckon I could up and leave my current job, chase more dollars and secure something vaguely close to 50k more a year and the world would keep turning (and this is from a base much lower than 600k so the significance would be much greater). However, I started a new job relatively recently and there has been a moderate investment in me, and while I am perfectly entitled to jump ship any time I want, sometimes it just isn't good decorum to leave a place high and dry.

The above is all contingent upon Bateman going to the Dogs or another NRL club, because if it is for personal reasons I have no issue with him going back home. But if he jumps up the highway for a marginal payrise, then make no mistake he is leaving us high and dry. And that is before you consider what we have done for him and the time he has spent on the sidelines.
Up The Milk
Ezy
Brett Mullins

Post by Ezy »

I'm just pleased that the club didn't break the bank to keep him here with his busted shoulder. We had our terms, he (or his manager) didn't like them, on your bike son.

A few years back we threw ourselves at the mercy of Milford and his old man - I shudder to think where we'd be now if 10% of the cap was spent on him alone.

Bateman's influence has been great, but the reality is our squad is good enough to contend without him, provided we hold on to those we want to keep from here on in.
MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Post by MrPosh »

Coastalraider wrote: June 30, 2020, 1:52 pm I hope we have used Curtis Scott as a bargaining chip.
‘Jonneh, we will release you from your contract with no transfer fee if you take Scott to Wigan as well.’

But seriously, we should be making some very quick phone calls to Joel Thompson’s manager and trying to get him to stay in Aus for a 2 year deal. Good for the team, good for Huddos progression, good for the cap.
Replace a player by encouraging one to break a contract? It's not a good look.

I suspect this has more to do with Bateman's shoulder than anyone is letting on. I bet the Raiders have pared back the offer because of fitness doubts.

Time will tell on that gamble
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Peter wrote: June 30, 2020, 3:47 pm If he is going back to Wigan, I’m fine with it.

If he is staying in the NRL, it is a kick in the teeth to the club that brought him over. Especially after they let him postpone his surgery to pursue representative honours, pretty much at the expense of our entire 2020 campaign.
I agree, totally. Not to mention the large transfer fee the Raiders paid, which should be recovered, in part, one way or another.
RichmondRaider
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Jordy Raps

Post by RichmondRaider »

MrPosh wrote: June 30, 2020, 4:45 pm
Coastalraider wrote: June 30, 2020, 1:52 pm I hope we have used Curtis Scott as a bargaining chip.
‘Jonneh, we will release you from your contract with no transfer fee if you take Scott to Wigan as well.’

But seriously, we should be making some very quick phone calls to Joel Thompson’s manager and trying to get him to stay in Aus for a 2 year deal. Good for the team, good for Huddos progression, good for the cap.

I suspect this has more to do with Bateman's shoulder than anyone is letting on. I bet the Raiders have pared back the offer because of fitness doubts.

The only way then that a 50k bump at the dogs is worth all this rep damage is if it is for a longer term, which it is. So the fitness doubts theory is certainly strong if he ends up doing that.

There are also good reasons both sides to not bring this up.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Leebola wrote: June 30, 2020, 3:42 pm
Azza wrote: June 30, 2020, 3:37 pm Gutted. Has our premiership window closed. Hope not aye.
Of course it hasn't. This situation sucks, and we won't win it this year, but the open window has a few years yet.
Agreed. Season over.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

afgtnk wrote: June 30, 2020, 1:30 pm Covering all his rehab for a second surgery, knowing that he may not play at all this year, is the real kick in the teeth. Like sticking with your girlfriend through a rough period and helping her recover, only to see her **** off to some sugar daddy the minute she's better.

My bet is that long term, Jonneh will live to regret this decision. League over in the UK is a minority sport, and doesn't have the money we have here. If he stays here, joining a club like the Dogs with their garbage squad and bargain bin coach would be career suicide. He was here for one season and made a huge name for himself - now he's gone and risked all that.

I generally don't begrudge players making a dollar from the game, their lifespans are short and and the game is unpredictable, but I can't help but think Jonneh's been given some horrible advice here. Good luck.
Agree with what you have said.
However, the rumour that won't die is that Wayne Bennett is headed to the Dogs with Mick Ennis as assistant coach...
That being said, I think he's heading back to the UK.
Raiders should look at TPJ or CHN.
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Joseph 'the worm' Tapine

Post by 1992 »

I would love it if he went to Canterbury. That would make me actually watch their games. Would be fun to see how long he gives a stuff. hahahaha
WHAT A LONG STRANGE TRIP IT'S BEEN
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Sad to see him go.
I see Bateman as the sort of player who's going to give 100% no matter which jersey he puts on, so once he's back from injury I think we'll still get value from him.

Hope he chooses Wigan rather than bulldogs

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Sid wrote: June 30, 2020, 5:24 pm Sad to see him go.
I see Bateman as the sort of player who's going to give 100% no matter which jersey he puts on, so once he's back from injury I think we'll still get value from him.

Hope he chooses Wigan rather than bulldogs

He's left mate. We won't see him in green again.

Edit:
Or I've misunderstood what the above articles mean. One says he's leaving early. One saying he won't be here in 2021.
Last edited by zim on June 30, 2020, 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

MrPosh wrote: June 30, 2020, 4:45 pm

Yes. The ongoing shoulder issue is a massive risk for anyone taking him on. Especially given the original surgery wasn't successful.

Look, he could end up like James Tedesco post surgery and become one of the best in the world, or he could be a long-term cap anchor until he is medically retired like Burgess (interesting precedent).

Either way, I honestly don't think he'll have the impact he did at the beginning of last season.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Ricky Stuart unleashes on player managers and NRL on contract dealings

Ricky Stuart unleashed today on the behaviour of player managers and the NRL over contract dealings, as it was confirmed today that John Bateman would be leaving the club.

"It was always going to happen. I'm proud of the club that they put a timeline on it. We're sick of waiting. We knew what was going to happen, so we were sick of waiting and to Don's credit, he put a time frame on his manager, and we got what we knew was coming," Stuart said.

"It's very disappointing. John's a real big part of the squad. He's a world class player, so to lose him really disappoints me."

"We here at the club have worked so hard to build a strong roster and then you're getting players pulled out of it the way John has, has really disappointed me. Disappointed me with how the game allows it. The game, the NRL need to help clubs in regards to how we have to deal with certain managers, over the way they agitate clubs and the way they manipulate communications and negotiations to suit them only."

"It's not always in the best interests of the player, and it disappoints me because it's so hard to build a strong roster. But I'm proud of the club that it took a stance and wanted to get a decision. Because the last thing we're going to be is a club such as the Broncos or the Warriors, where they've just been ruined by agitation and manipulation of roster."

"I've got a lot of respect for John [Bateman] as a bloke, and I've got on with him very well. As a footballer, I have the very highest degree of respect."

"We offered John a very, very good offer last year to his English manager and then his new manager. It was a very, very good offer. And it was the words of... "you're getting closer"... I thought was disrespectful to Don and the club. And that day there, I knew we wouldn't be keeping John... and therefore, we needed to spend the money [elsewhere]."

"It won't affect my relationship with John at all. I understand it's a professional business and you've got to make these decisions. But it’s just how it has been done has disappointed me."

Full interview: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2020/06 ... ns-future/

Ricky goes nuclear as he lashes Bateman’s ‘manipulating, agitating’ manager over star Raider’s exit: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... ca8b5f6495

Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart calls on NRL to fix player manager mess after John Bateman quits: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... #gsc.tab=0

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... e49c714cab

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/john-batem ... 18bb6c94b3

VIDEO: Hear from Ricky Stuart as he discussed John Bateman 's future after it was announced he would be leaving the club at the end of this season: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2020/06 ... ns-future/

Canberra Raiders fullback Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad takes out tackle of the week! What a try saver! #NRL #WeAreRaiders #wearecbr

VIDEO: Robbie Farah says the Canberra Raiders were right to not match the money asked by John Bateman and is confident the club will be able to find a replacement: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/06/30/far ... n-bateman/

@TheGHRaiders on Twitter

Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart tells all on the John Bateman contract drama, dropping Curtis Scott to the bench, and the latest on Corey Horsburgh's surgery. WIN News Canberra reports: http://ow.ly/TftG50AlvRB

#NRL #WeAreRaiders #wearecbr
Danaman137
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by Danaman137 »

I love Ricky

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Don't worry Stick..

You can make me a very very poor offer and you know I'm coming..

You're a good man.
rayden83
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Rapana

Re: OFFICIAL: Bateman 'won't be at Raiders in 2020

Post by rayden83 »

I’d prefer the Raiders not release him from his contract, and relegate him to Mounties if he didn’t put in. For the following reasons:

1. signal to other players that if you join the Raiders you will see out your contract, even if you don’t play. Weed out the money grabbers.

2. give confidence to the other players, members and fans about the playing roster, cultivating a stable base rather than one that is constantly shaking.

3. reinforce the actual purpose, spirit and legalities of contracts

4. take power back from grubs like Isaac Moses who abuse and manipulate contracts rendering them practically worthless

5. avoid situations like this where you pay large transfer fees only to see your investment catapulted into space

6. Build a culture of loyalty and success rather than short term money grabbing

Sure there will be some short term pain but ultimately the club will be more stable and have more self respect.

I’m not angry at Bateman for leaving, I’m only angry at Raiders management for letting Isaac Moses put them over a barrel. I guess, like Bateman, they are only interested in the short term and ensuring their jobs don’t come under scrutiny if we go on a bad run.

Also Bateman will sign with another NRL squad, I’m surprised there are people stupid enough go think he would go back to a giant shanty town like Wigan, when he can earn more money and vitamin D in the NRL. The Wigan thing and missing his daughter were just red herrings to soften up the Raiders MGMT. I guess it worked.
Ultima
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Ultima »

So considering his manager was suspended and it appears all this Bull yet again come from the absolute parasites that are NRL player managers, can we get some sort of salary cap exception for them letting this **** **** us over and poison yet another player against us?
Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Post by Raider47 »

Nice Sticky :clap:
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

kiwi raider wrote:Disappointing but what can you do?
I vote use his money to buy another middle to help Papalii out and let Whitehead, Tapine, Young and Horsburgh cover the backrow, I could certainly see the upside of having a crack at TPJ
Agreed, somebody like Fisher-harris would look fantastic in green.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Botman wrote:
Ultima wrote: June 30, 2020, 2:16 pm
Botman wrote: June 30, 2020, 2:10 pm You want to know one of the reasons why i advocate for players to go and get every cent they can from this game and to forget loyalty to clubs and fans...

Why would anyone take a single cent less to remain loyal for these type of pricks?
It's almost like he lied to people and betrayed people who have put trust in his word... Thank God you're heard to defend him from us... Anyone else need rescuing by the white knight here?

I mean **** the club and its fans right, as long as he can retire to a slightly larger mansion Botman will defend him.
Im not defending him. He doesnt need defending. He's done nothing wrong. He's done what most people do, made a career decision that he feels is best for him.

And no white night, just pointing that fans are extremely fickle, and they'll turn on an athlete very quickly. And not just turn on them, but descend to the levels of a irrational toddler.
Look no further than some of our fan base constantly laying into Croker for the past decade.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Love Ricky's comments. Drawing a line is what turned the club around so far, I'll back it to pay off again.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Yeah I thought what Stuart said was really strong and I’m glad he’s not going to be bullied into what they deem as poor roster decisions

Onwards and upwards. We’ve lost a really great player but we should be in a position to do something somewhat significant recruitment wise
Chicka Chicka Chicka
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Chicka Chicka Chicka »

I guess this means Don is going for a drive then. I hope John forks out for the fuel.....