Bateman confirms he’s heading back to Wigan Warriors in 2021

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Re: OFFICIAL: Bateman 'won't be at Raiders in 2021'

Post by Timbo »

Jeez, go back to the first few pages of this thread. Wasn't that a simpler time? 'I back Stick and Don to get it done', 'I'm confident we'll give him what he wants', 'Don't worry lads - he's denied it. He isn't going anywhere'.

What a great bloke he is. Straight up denied it, now **** off. I can abide a lot of things, but looking me in the eye and telling me a bald-faced lie isn't one of them.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Honestly some of you lot are a bloody joke. Maybe he has stuff going on that we don't know about, and it must be hard having a daughter on the other side of the world. Pull your heads in.

Thanks for the brilliant year you had last year JB and helping turn around the culture of the side.

Gutted he is leaving though, and gotta say his comments during GF week were pretty disappointing. He hasn't covered himself in glory with the way he's handled this either, but at the end of the day that's no reason to carry on like bloody idiots. Hoping we aren't seeing our premiership window close :-(
Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Re: Bateman 'won't be at Raiders in 2021'

Post by Raider47 »

Botman wrote: June 30, 2020, 1:57 pm
89_90_94_?? wrote: June 30, 2020, 12:43 pm Was a key member of the squad that let me experience GF week for the first time, was to young in 94. All the best in the future john.
:clap: :clap:
100% agree

Thanks for the memories John. And hopefully you can get back this year and help us make some more.
If not, so be it... 2019 was the most fun i've had supporting his team since i was 6 years old and he played a really big role in that.
Yeah true, but the way he has acted since GF week and the loyalty factor is a bit disappointing. Plus factoring in his injury troubles. Perhaps that is sport these days however it certainly makes you admire the likes of Wighton, Hodgson and Papalii who could no doubt pursue bigger $$$ at other clubs.
hrundi89
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by hrundi89 »

If he goes to the UK then good luck to him.

If he goes to the Dogs for similar cash, then that's lame...
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

You want to know one of the reasons why i advocate for players to go and get every cent they can from this game and to forget loyalty to clubs and fans...
Here's some examples...
Makaveli wrote: June 30, 2020, 1:49 pmEDIT
Ultima wrote: June 30, 2020, 12:41 pm Well **** off then ****. Does he have to pay back the transfer fee we had to pay to get him here originally?
Love4Noa wrote: June 30, 2020, 12:39 pm Good riddance.
Integrity obviously isn't big in his agenda
Mercury wrote: June 30, 2020, 12:47 pm Goid riddance - apparently the deal with Canterbury is 3 years, WIgan is 4 for around 2 million. Considering what a money hungry ****** he has shown himself to be it'd be the Dogs.
I don't want him in our squad for 2020 and yeah give is $150,000 back of the transfer fee you gutless wonder.
Timbo wrote: June 30, 2020, 1:00 pm He has shown himself to be a man of near Dugan-esque character as far as I'm concerned. The club better be getting it's transfer fee back, and he can **** off now as far as I'm concerned. I don't want another red cent from our coffers going into the bank account of someone like him.
Neeeegz wrote: June 30, 2020, 1:06 pm Sack the arrogant **** now for breach of contract.
Surgery after the test, before the season what a **** I don't want to see him in green again.
Good **** riddance.
Ilanraiders wrote: June 30, 2020, 1:16 pm Good News!! This clown is all about the money!!
Why would anyone take a single cent less to remain loyal for these type of pricks?
Last edited by Botman on June 30, 2020, 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

kiwi raider wrote: June 30, 2020, 1:35 pm Disappointing but what can you do?
I vote use his money to buy another middle to help Papalii out and let Whitehead, Tapine, Young and Horsburgh cover the backrow, I could certainly see the upside of having a crack at TPJ
yeah, I'd go for TPJ for sure if we could afford him. His yards would help Papa out anyway. Would mean Tapine would be back in the middle which gives us a bit more impact in there + Young who fits the modern mobile lock role.
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

Not surprised. Get CHN who’ll be really pleased to get a gig.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Did we try offering Bateman Moderator status on the forums? I know it's been spoken about in hushed tones as a bargaining chip in the past.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Re: replacements for him, TPJ is HIGH on my list.. Super talented and has some how played his way into a situation where his market is at an all time low and the Broncos are very forward heavy. He was here before so he has some familiarity with the club...

But its another situation where you're taking on a guy that might just never put it together, talent only takes you so far.
CNH is the other i've been pretty vocal about as an option. I think he's super talented and was playing excellent footy for the dogs last year in a pretty awful team. I think he'd suit us quite well
Ultima
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Ultima »

Botman wrote: June 30, 2020, 2:10 pm You want to know one of the reasons why i advocate for players to go and get every cent they can from this game and to forget loyalty to clubs and fans...

Why would anyone take a single cent less to remain loyal for these type of pricks?
It's almost like he lied to people and betrayed people who have put trust in his word... Thank God you're heard to defend him from us... Anyone else need rescuing by the white knight here?

I mean **** the club and its fans right, as long as he can retire to a slightly larger mansion Botman will defend him.
Hazza
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Adam Clydesdale

Post by Hazza »

Coastalraider wrote: June 30, 2020, 1:52 pm I hope we have used Curtis Scott as a bargaining chip.
‘Jonneh, we will release you from your contract with no transfer fee if you take Scott to Wigan as well.’

But seriously, we should be making some very quick phone calls to Joel Thompson’s manager and trying to get him to stay in Aus for a 2 year deal. Good for the team, good for Huddos progression, good for the cap.
Joel Thompson? At this stage of his career? Nah
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Replacing him won't be too hard. This isn't a halfback or a hooker. Plenty of quality out there and we should have the right money to buy a very good player, instead of a Joel Thompson who's not much more than a run of the mill footballer on the last legs of his career.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Ultima wrote: June 30, 2020, 2:16 pm
Botman wrote: June 30, 2020, 2:10 pm You want to know one of the reasons why i advocate for players to go and get every cent they can from this game and to forget loyalty to clubs and fans...

It's almost like he lied to people and betrayed people who have put trust in his word... Thank God you're heard to defend him from us... Anyone else need rescuing by the white knight here?

I mean **** the club and its fans right, as long as he can retire to a slightly larger mansion Botman will defend him.
Im not defending him. He doesnt need defending. He's done nothing wrong. He's done what most people do, made a career decision that he feels is best for him.

And no white night, just pointing that fans are extremely fickle, and they'll turn on an athlete very quickly. And not just turn on them, but descend to the levels of a irrational toddler.
Ilanraiders
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Rubenrunlikeatrainandhitlikeatruckwiki!

Post by Ilanraiders »

I hope karma comes around and it really hurts this user!!! I hope Ricky Stuart learns off this tool...
"Learn to appreciate what you have, before time makes you appreciate what you had"!! RAIDERSTILLIDIE!!
Timbo
David Furner

Post by Timbo »

As soon I saw Botman quoting me having a go, I knew I was in the right.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
Timbo
David Furner

Post by Timbo »

As soon I saw Botman quoting me having a go, I knew I was in the right.
Leebola
Brett Mullins

Post by Leebola »

Maybe we should cut each other some slack. It ain't easy being a Raiders fan...
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Here's some examples...
Ultima wrote: June 30, 2020, 12:41 pm Well **** off then ****. Does he have to pay back the transfer fee we had to pay to get him here originally?
Mercury wrote: June 30, 2020, 12:47 pm Goid riddance - apparently the deal with Canterbury is 3 years, WIgan is 4 for around 2 million. Considering what a money hungry ****** he has shown himself to be it'd be the Dogs.
I don't want him in our squad for 2020 and yeah give is $150,000 back of the transfer fee you gutless wonder.
Timbo wrote: June 30, 2020, 1:00 pm He has shown himself to be a man of near Dugan-esque character as far as I'm concerned. The club better be getting it's transfer fee back, and he can **** off now as far as I'm concerned. I don't want another red cent from our coffers going into the bank account of someone like him.
Neeeegz wrote: June 30, 2020, 1:06 pm Sack the arrogant **** now for breach of contract.
Surgery after the test, before the season what a **** I don't want to see him in green again.
Good **** riddance.
Ilanraiders wrote: June 30, 2020, 1:16 pm Good News!! This clown is all about the money!!
In fairness to these people, theyve made their comments after batemans showed his cards. Hes used the club they support and they are showing their frustration at an obvious liar.
Dont delete this GE
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

Botman wrote: June 30, 2020, 2:21 pm

Im not defending him. He doesnt need defending. He's done nothing wrong. He's done what most people do, made a career decision that he feels is best for him.

And no white night, just pointing that fans are extremely fickle, and they'll turn on an athlete very quickly. And not just turn on them, but descend to the levels of a irrational toddler.
Pretty rubbish commentary. Its like saying your mrs is fickle because she calls you a **** for cheating on her.
Dont delete this GE
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

afgtnk wrote: June 30, 2020, 2:20 pm Replacing him won't be too hard. This isn't a halfback or a hooker. Plenty of quality out there and we should have the right money to buy a very good player, instead of a Joel Thompson who's not much more than a run of the mill footballer on the last legs of his career.
Yeah the question is do you go for a highly touted young prospect the way we targeted Tapine?
Do you take a swing at a damaged asset who has high upside like a CHN/TPJ? Maybe Crighton is someone the Roosters would be keen to move on from given although he's good, he's probably not delivering what they're paying him for.
Or is just finding a good reliable footy player as depth and focus on developing from within via guys like Hudson Young?

Lot of different ways you can approach it. But it's a big hole in our team now.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

simo wrote: June 30, 2020, 2:26 pm
Pretty rubbish commentary. Its like saying your mrs is fickle because she calls you a piece of **** for cheating on her.
Except bateman hasnt cheated on us. He has operated entirely within the confines of his agreement with the club and with the expressed endorsement of the club.
Ilanraiders
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Rubenrunlikeatrainandhitlikeatruckwiki!

Post by Ilanraiders »

Here's some examples...
Good **** riddance.
Who cares what you think this is a forum... obviously there will be supporters disappointed especially with how this tool and his toy manager has gone about it!! Being loyal and honouring his contract is two different things!! He should be gone already.
"Learn to appreciate what you have, before time makes you appreciate what you had"!! RAIDERSTILLIDIE!!
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

Botman wrote: June 30, 2020, 2:28 pm
Pretty rubbish commentary. Its like saying your mrs is fickle because she calls you a piece of **** for cheating on her.
Except bateman hasnt cheated on us. He has operated entirely within the confines of his agreement with the club and with the expressed endorsement of the club.
Hahahaha ooook. You may as well add “in my opinion” to the end of that waffle
Dont delete this GE
amiafish
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Past: Ricky Stuart Present: Xavier Savage

Post by amiafish »

Except manipulating a contract to the detriment of the club that bent over backwards to make you welcome is exactly the kind of act that drives NRL fans to distraction.

Are we happy to just go down the path of other uber-corporatised sports like the NFL/MLB where it's so nakedly a cash grab from all concerned? The fact that we've avoided this to some extent in Rugby League is one reason why fans love the game.
hrundi89
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by hrundi89 »

simo wrote: June 30, 2020, 2:32 pm
No he's actually right. It was a kooky contract, but one that may not have got him here if it was different.
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

hrundi89 wrote: June 30, 2020, 2:07 pm If he goes to the UK then good luck to him.

If he goes to the Dogs for similar cash, then that's lame...
Kinda my thoughts too.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Botman wrote: June 30, 2020, 2:21 pm

I don't agree he's done nothing wrong. He handled the time during GF week and this whole episode fairly poorly. But I'm still grateful for what he added to the team, and don't see the need to carry on like some of the muppets here.
amiafish
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Past: Ricky Stuart Present: Xavier Savage

Post by amiafish »

Just to put it out there, I don't think Bateman will be the player he was in 2019 ever again. He was in a super-supportive club (with fellow Brits to help him along), with something to prove in the NRL, in a club making a surge for the Premiership, and his body was intact.

None of those things will be the case again if he goes to another NRL club.
Richo72
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Richo72 »

Another way to look at it is his shoulder is “stuffed” and he won’t play again at his previous level. ITs very unusual to have surgery again in quick succession unless the initial surgery was stuffed up or there was an infection (Sam Burgess had this last year and ended up retiring).....I’d be very surprised to see him play in the NRL again.

Perhaps, the club weren’t willing to match other offers based on his dodgy shoulder. I’m sure if he was fit and likely to play again at his previous level he would not be leaving.
Hazza
Chris O'Sullivan

Post by Hazza »

Botman wrote: June 30, 2020, 2:27 pm
afgtnk wrote: June 30, 2020, 2:20 pm Replacing him won't be too hard. This isn't a halfback or a hooker. Plenty of quality out there and we should have the right money to buy a very good player, instead of a Joel Thompson who's not much more than a run of the mill footballer on the last legs of his career.
Yeah the question is do you go for a highly touted young prospect the way we targeted Tapine?
Do you take a swing at a damaged asset who has high upside like a CHN/TPJ? Maybe Crighton is someone the Roosters would be keen to move on from given although he's good, he's probably not delivering what they're paying him for.
Or is just finding a good reliable footy player as depth and focus on developing from within via guys like Hudson Young?

Lot of different ways you can approach it. But it's a big hole in our team now.
You mustn't have watched many chooks games this year. Crichton's been outstanding.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Azza wrote: June 30, 2020, 2:40 pm I don't agree he's done nothing wrong. He handled the time during GF week and this whole episode fairly poorly. But I'm still grateful for what he added to the team, and don't see the need to carry on like some of the muppets here.
Yeah that's fair. Nothing wrong is not true. He's handled this quite poorly from a PR perspective, but the only part of that i found even slightly annoying was the GF week stuff. So yeah, he's made some mistakes... but i dont think he's "cheated" on us at all.
Mercury
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Mercury »

Why not treat us with a bit if respect and say yeah I'm going to......
But No. Speculation and games.
What is this, High School????
He would not have left the Raiders unless he had a set deal.

Botman - he treats us like idiots "yeah I love the club, settle down I'm not going anywhere" etc. And now we're supposed to be GRATEFUL???
Yeah, Nah.

BTW - Interesting that other swear words are edited out but Botman can call several other members P***s?
Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Post by Raider47 »

The fact he came out in GF week with the comments he made is quite low. If we get little money back in the money we paid to bring him over, that is very disappointing too. Hopefully there is some form of compensation from Bateman to acknowledge this effort we made in bringing him over, despite him breaking a contract with the club.

It's all well and good to say players should chase as much money as they can. But when they go about it in the circumstances that has been the case for Bateman, you can't blame fans who live and breathe the Raiders to be pretty upset.
Hazza
Chris O'Sullivan

Post by Hazza »

I actually don't think it's as big a deal as some are making out. I'd like to think what we built last year had more to do than 1 player single handedly turning it round. And I have every confidence in Hudson Young going on to be an outstanding 1st grader. It's disappointing but the sky hasn't fallen in people!
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

hrundi89 wrote: June 30, 2020, 2:36 pm
simo wrote: June 30, 2020, 2:32 pm
No he's actually right. It was a kooky contract, but one that may not have got him here if it was different.
His contract allowed him to negotiate with us. It did not allow him to seek offers elsewhere or threaten to walk out which he did.
Dont delete this GE