Restaurant advice

The social club of The Greenhouse

Moderator: GH Moderators

T_R
Don Furner

Restaurant advice

Post by T_R »

Ok, Canberra folk. I'm 20 years out of date on the dining scene down there.

My kids are staying with their grandparents in Canberra this week and there are a couple of birthdays to celebrate. I've made a booking for them to take their grandparents out to Courgette. Looks quite nice on the web, and the wine list is pretty damn fine.

Anyone want to give me some feedback on the place? Thanks!

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Restaurant advice

Post by greeneyed »

Haven’t been there for quite a while, but I thought it was very good. It is consistently well reviewed. Maintained standards for a long time.

https://www.goodfood.com.au/eat-out/goo ... 008-h16dms

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
T_R
Don Furner

Re: Restaurant advice

Post by T_R »

greeneyed wrote: June 30, 2020, 10:57 am Haven’t been there for quite a while, but I thought it was very good. It is consistently well reviewed. Maintained standards for a long time.

https://www.goodfood.com.au/eat-out/goo ... 008-h16dms

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thank you, sir!

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

T_R wrote: June 30, 2020, 10:49 am Ok, Canberra folk. I'm 20 years out of date on the dining scene down there.

My kids are staying with their grandparents in Canberra this week and there are a couple of birthdays to celebrate. I've made a booking for them to take their grandparents out to Courgette. Looks quite nice on the web, and the wine list is pretty damn fine.

Probably in the top 3-5 restaurants and has been for a while. About as fancy as Canberra gets.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Haven't been there for a few years but it is top shelf
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

T_R wrote: June 30, 2020, 10:49 am Ok, Canberra folk. I'm 20 years out of date on the dining scene down there.

Last time i went there, which was admittedly a 3-4 years ago, the portion sizes were a tad mean...
with fine dining you expect that but mostly the best ones have a good handle on the balancing act.. it's the only fault we had with it.

Food was tremendous and of very high quailty but my wife and i ended up at a mexican place shortly after getting through some tortilla chips and guac just to properly satisfy us. We are admittedly glutenous pigs though so maybe its just us.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Thank y'all

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

T_R will now book out the entire place and have his 'people' manning the doors.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Northern Raider wrote: July 1, 2020, 9:44 am T_R will now book out the entire place and have his 'people' manning the doors.
T_R is currently a government welfare case. I'd be more likely to be there hustling for tips.

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

went out to INKA today for my wife's birthday
Second time i've been there, the menu is extremely interesting and has enough let on it for another trip shortly
But its really good and interesting food, japanese peruvian fushion and just an absolute delight

HIGHLY recommend... though wouldnt start with a couple of glasses of champange to begin... the bill got a little out hand by the end of the meal :lol:
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Botman wrote: November 4, 2021, 7:38 pm went out to INKA today for my wife's birthday
Second time i've been there, the menu is extremely interesting and has enough let on it for another trip shortly
But its really good and interesting food, japanese peruvian fushion and just an absolute delight

HIGHLY recommend... though wouldnt start with a couple of glasses of champange to begin... the bill got a little out hand by the end of the meal :lol:
Funnily enough, I just clicked through from your FB post to check it out. Looks amazing. They call it 'nikkei' [2nd generation immigrant] cuisine rather than fusion, which is interesting.

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

We went to a newish Korean BBQ place last weekend called the tasty hill. Was pretty good. I find Korean BBQ pricey for what you get but the quality of meat was very good. Of course not as good as what you can get in Korea but probably the best we've had in Canberra.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I would love to find a French restaurant in Canberra that actually resembles the real thing. I haven’t found one that’s even close. There are bakeries, even cheese shops, that are a close approximation these days. But no restaurant even close.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

greeneyed wrote:I would love to find a French restaurant in Canberra that actually resembles the real thing. I haven’t found one that’s even close. There are bakeries, even cheese shops, that are a close approximation these days. But no restaurant even close.
Got a great little one up here now .... absolutely authentic bistro food. We go all the time.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

A neat restaurant has opened up just outside Windsor near me, The Cooks Shed. The Chef used to work at Longrain and he’s came out west to start this place.

The cool thing is they do these feature nights, where they invite chefs from other restaurants to come in and do items off their menu. We went to Nomad night before lockdown. Neat idea, means there’s other options apart from making the trek into the city.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: November 4, 2021, 10:18 pm I would love to find a French restaurant in Canberra that actually resembles the real thing. I haven’t found one that’s even close. There are bakeries, even cheese shops, that are a close approximation these days. But no restaurant even close.
There is 2 in Canberra my wife and i are fond on:

Ondine @ Deakin. Their French Onion soup is the best i've had outside of France, he had the the Bourguignon last time and it was really good too
Les Bistronomes @ Campbell. Last time we went there we got some really good rillettes, and a duck a l’orange

I think they both do a pretty good job of getting french cuisine reasonably close to the real thing.

It's been a few years now but Le Tres Bon in Bungendore was probably the most authentic French food i've had in Australia. Of course it's hyper annoying that its so far away that you really cant settle in and enjoy it with an entire bottle of wine
BJ123
Noa Nadruku
Favourite Player: Chicka

Post by BJ123 »

I ordered a baguette with cheese and ham from a French restaurant.

But I canceled the Sub order at the last minute and the Frenchman wasn’t happy.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I personally think Le Tres Bon and Les Bistronomes are a long way off a French restaurant experience. Strangely in the case of Le Tres Bon, as the owner is French. Haven't been to Ondine, so will try that.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

French restaurant story. We live near a little town up in the Noosa Hinterland called Cooroy. Fairly typical place for around here - An RSL club that booms, a few cafes and restaurants that bump along OK. Nothing likely to stir the Michelin guide up too much.

Among the locals is a little French style bakery, run by a couple of Gallic expats. It's good, but again nothing too amazing.

But then...a couple of years ago, they started an evening menu. And it was like something out of this world. Apparently some super high level chef from France had shown up and started cooking there, offering a $70 three course set menu each night. The food...well, I've been around, but I've never seen anything like it. The first time we went there the entree was a truffle risotto of some unidentifiable grain that just stopped conversation at the table... the flavour was like nothing I've ever experienced. The dish that sticks in my mind was a warm-baked salmon, served in a leek cream and ikura sauce, that through some technique came out almost gelatinous. Sounds dodgy? It was the best thing I've ever eaten. Everything this guy cooked was like that - absolutely world class. Somehow, this little cafe in the Hinterland was pumping out meals you'd pay, quite literally, 500 euros a pop for in Paris, all served on rickety cafe tables on the verandah of a suburban shopping centre. You can imagine, we were there every weekend.

It was all too good to be true. They closed after a few months and the full story came out. Apparently the chef was indeed a super-well known chef from Paris, Michelin starred and quite the celebrity, who'd had mental health issues, caused a ruckus and fled to Australia to work under an assumed name. Sadly, it happened again in Cooroy - he burned the kitchen down in some manic rage, very violently assaulted the owner, and disappeared into the night.

For a few months there, though...wow.

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Goodness me, that's quite a tale
What's some aggravated assault and arson between good French meals?
The owner should have taken it in his stride and kept the good times rolling :lol:
greeneyed wrote: November 5, 2021, 9:03 am I personally think Le Tres Bon and Les Bistronomes are a long way off a French restaurant experience. Strangely in the case of Le Tres Bon, as the owner is French. Haven't been to Ondine, so will try that.
Hmmm fair enough, i thought Les Bistronomes was very good myself. But if those two didnt scratch that itch for you, Ondine probably wont either.

Good places with good food imo
BJ123
Noa Nadruku
Favourite Player: Chicka

Post by BJ123 »

Bit like the unbelievably good Chefs Table at Wanniassa in an ex Bikie clubhouse.

Set up by a renound chef post COvid but unfortunately he’s now been nabbed by one of the Wineries as business starts up again.

98 in total 5 star reviews, 3 other ratings.

https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Restaura ... itory.html
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Botman wrote: November 4, 2021, 7:38 pm went out to INKA today for my wife's birthday

My kids are down for a couple of weeks, and we normally send them out for dinner with the grandparents. Based on your advice, I've got Inka booked. The $80 tasting menu looks pretty fine!

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Nice. Hope you the family enjoy it.

Ill actually be in town tonight too, having some Christmas beers with friends.. i might try and crash the dinner table and strong arm my way into a little kingfish ceviche
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Botman wrote: December 8, 2021, 11:19 am Nice. Hope you the family enjoy it.

Ill actually be in town tonight too, having some Christmas beers with friends.. i might try and crash the dinner table and strong arm my way into a little kingfish ceviche
That would be hilarious since I'm in Brisbane, and the reservation is for the kids next week.

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Well… that’s good to know … now

Sincere apologies to the family who’s night I ruined
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Botman wrote: December 8, 2021, 10:09 pm Well… that’s good to know … now

Sincere apologies to the family who’s night I ruined
:lol:

I'm sure they were happy to share

Begbie
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Smash Williams

Post by Begbie »

Ondine @ Deakin. Their French Onion soup is the best i've had outside of France,

I thought French onion soup was an ingredient for French onion dip. Had never realised it was also a soup. Interesting.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Bumping this one.

My wife and i had a rare date night on the weekend, we're still in a period of mourning over our Japan trip being over so we went out to Mu Omakuse, which is a fine dining Japanese restaurant from the Chairman Group

And it was phenomenal. REALLY interest food and flavours, it was a 12 course set tasting menu and it was banger after banger

Confit Lobster, bonito hollandaise and black sesame and Patagonian toothfish saikyo-yaki, hazelnut miso and fingerlimes were the two best dishes of the night
Coming in 3rd and the biggest surprise was how good the Koji-cured octopus, breakfast martini, citrus expression was

Highly HIGHLY recommend.
We'll be going back in Dec/Jan when the menu changes for summer
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Hard to beat a $30 meal for the family at a Michelin star restaurant in Chiang Mai.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

gergreg wrote:Hard to beat a $30 meal for the family at a Michelin star restaurant in Chiang Mai.
I had a $30 meal at the Burns club that tasted like a Michelin Tyre.
They deserved one star (on Tripadvisor).
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

BJ wrote:
gergreg wrote:Hard to beat a $30 meal for the family at a Michelin star restaurant in Chiang Mai.
You gotta get in for seniors hour, least the food is fresh then

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

BJ wrote: September 1, 2023, 10:18 am
:lol:
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

gergreg wrote: September 1, 2023, 12:02 am Hard to beat a $30 meal for the family at a Michelin star restaurant in Chiang Mai.
Details please... name, location etc!
We're heading to Chiang Mai (family trip to do Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam) in April next year and i've heard all i need to hear to know this is something i want to do :lol:
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Botman wrote: September 1, 2023, 11:38 am
gergreg wrote: September 1, 2023, 12:02 am Hard to beat a $30 meal for the family at a Michelin star restaurant in Chiang Mai.
Details please... name, location etc!
We're heading to Chiang Mai (family trip to do Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam) in April next year and i've heard all i need to hear to know this is something i want to do :lol:
April? Are you locked in on April? The pollution was really bad this year up until at least May. Like extremely hazardous to your health levels, masks everywhere and even warnings against being outside. If you can push back a little it might be better. Apparently it’s just as bad in Chiang Mai because they burn all the previous seasons crop. However everybody was commenting that the pollution hung around longer than usual this year.

TBH they seem to hand out Michelin stars like candy in Thailand. There’s a noodle place in the Central World (shopping mall) food court with a Michelin star😃.

But anyway last night we went to Huen Muan Jai. Looks like the head chef was a contestant on Iron Chef. I had Khao So-i. It’s a northern noodle curry - signature dish of north Thailand apparently. Wife had a chilli eggplant and it was too spicy for her. First dish here that has defeated her. Those small chillies will burn your face off if you aren’t used to them. So she ordered a deep fried pork, which was the highlight of the meal. Crunchy skin outside, beautifully moist inside. The girls had pork omelette.

Today we went to TongTemToh. We both thought this place was better. I had Burma style pork curry. I’m a big massaman fan and that’s basically what this was, delicious. We had assorted pork bits deep fried with chilli dipping sauce, some mixed greens and a few omelettes and chicken wings for the girls. Again awesome value.

I think overall the shopping in Bangkok/Thailand can be overrated unless you know the right markets to go to, but the food options and value for money is sensational.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Oh I should add. The street food is also great, but not for me. They lay down the MSG in huge quantities and it gives me the worst insomnia.