Moderator: GH Moderators

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: NFL Thread

Post by Northern Raider »

Matt wrote: May 15, 2020, 2:42 pm
Northern Raider wrote: May 15, 2020, 2:36 pm
Matt wrote: May 15, 2020, 11:24 am WE NEED FOOTBALL!!!
The natives are restless....

Arrest warrants issued for Giants' DeAndre Baker and Seahawks' Quinton Dunbar following alleged armed robbery.
Standard NFL offseason really. Makes me laugh the level of outrage at some fairly lame things NRL players do by comparison.
yes, but its fun to get all riled up over those too
Manase Fainu managed an NFL level scandal. Even then it would only be 1 paragraph in the local rag type of story.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: May 15, 2020, 3:39 pm
Matt wrote: May 15, 2020, 2:42 pm
Northern Raider wrote: May 15, 2020, 2:36 pm
Matt wrote: May 15, 2020, 11:24 am WE NEED FOOTBALL!!!
The natives are restless....

Arrest warrants issued for Giants' DeAndre Baker and Seahawks' Quinton Dunbar following alleged armed robbery.
Standard NFL offseason really. Makes me laugh the level of outrage at some fairly lame things NRL players do by comparison.
yes, but its fun to get all riled up over those too
Manase Fainu managed an NFL level scandal. Even then it would only be 1 paragraph in the local rag type of story.
probably
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Aldon Smith has been conditionally reistated.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/cowb ... pass-rush/
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

https://insidethestar.com/dak-prescott- ... -contract/

Finally a little more clarity on the Dak deal.
Essentially, he gets 4 yrs of the current QB franchise deal salary then a sweetner in yr 5, along with all the signing bonuses etc he would get in yr 1. Ill be honest, this actually looks pretty reasonable to me, even if the Cowboys have to eat the 5th yr ask. If this is where both parties stand, I can totally see a deal being done before 14th July (I think thats the final tag signing date).
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Matt wrote: May 21, 2020, 9:04 am Aldon Smith has been conditionally reistated.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/cowb ... pass-rush/
Huge news for the pre season lines!
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Matt wrote: May 21, 2020, 10:44 am https://insidethestar.com/dak-prescott- ... -contract/

Finally a little more clarity on the Dak deal.
Essentially, he gets 4 yrs of the current QB franchise deal salary then a sweetner in yr 5, along with all the signing bonuses etc he would get in yr 1. Ill be honest, this actually looks pretty reasonable to me, even if the Cowboys have to eat the 5th yr ask. If this is where both parties stand, I can totally see a deal being done before 14th July (I think thats the final tag signing date).
Do it.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

That's a decent deal for the Cowboys. By the time year 5 comes around that $45m won't look so bad..... provided he maintains form.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Drew Brees is getting lambasted on Twitter for some incredibly ignorant comments regarding “respecting the flag”
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

the bone wrote: June 4, 2020, 9:10 am Drew Brees is getting lambasted on Twitter for some incredibly ignorant comments regarding “respecting the flag”
missed that, what did he say/ do?
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Matt wrote: June 4, 2020, 9:56 am
the bone wrote: June 4, 2020, 9:10 am Drew Brees is getting lambasted on Twitter for some incredibly ignorant comments regarding “respecting the flag”
“I will never agree with anybody disrespecting the flag”. Essentially, he his completely missing the point on why Kapernick and others kneel during the anthem. It has nothing to do with disrespecting the flag or the military, it’s about protesting racial injustice and police brutality
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

the bone wrote: June 4, 2020, 10:24 am
Matt wrote: June 4, 2020, 9:56 am
“I will never agree with anybody disrespecting the flag”. Essentially, he his completely missing the point on why Kapernick and others kneel during the anthem. It has nothing to do with disrespecting the flag or the military, it’s about protesting racial injustice and police brutality
I see. Ooph
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

His team mates are going OOOOOFFFF on him,
Malcolm Jenkins was literally shedding tears responding to it, Michael Thomas had a strong response. Protesters in NO were chanting "**** Drew Brees"

His comments obviously was not recieved well by his team and fans and whatever your views on them is for a politics thread... but it is already apparent to me that this could be a devestating split in the lockerroom for that team
This is not an issue african american players are messing around with.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Absolutely. Unless Brees and Payton are geniuses there's no way they can salvage the upcoming season.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Brees has been an apologetic mission today... statements, videos... Damage control big time
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: June 5, 2020, 1:01 pm Brees has been an apologetic mission today... statements, videos... Damage control big time
He has to be. The Q is, will it be enough?
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Matt wrote: June 5, 2020, 1:07 pm
Botman wrote: June 5, 2020, 1:01 pm Brees has been an apologetic mission today... statements, videos... Damage control big time
i think with some players it will be... Thomas has said publicly he accepts his apology, a few others have too, do they mean it? Is it just to maintain team morale...

I cant see Malcolm Jenkins for example ever looking at Drew Brees the same way again. Micheal Thomas and Cam Jordan either. They'll play nice for the good of the team, but those pre-game "its us vs them, family, we all in this together, all we got, all we need" sort of stuff that vocal guys like Brees have been known to do... them words are gonna a ring a little hollow with some teammates this year.

As many black athletes have said regarding their white teammates, if you arent willing to stand with them on this fight, then your words about family and being united dont really mean ****.
Last edited by Botman on June 5, 2020, 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: June 5, 2020, 1:34 pm
Matt wrote: June 5, 2020, 1:07 pm
i think with some players it will be... Thomas has said publicly he accepts his apology, a few others have too...

I cant see Malcolm Jenkins for example ever looking at Drew Brees the same way again. Micheal Thomas and Cam Jordan either. They'll play nice for the good of the team, but those pre-game "its us vs them, family, we all in this together, all we got, all we need" sort of stuff that vocal guys like Brees have been known to do... them words are gonna a ring a little hollow with some teammates this year.

As many black athletes have said regarding their white teammates, if you arent willing to stand with them on this fight, then your words about family and being united dont really mean ****.
100%

Interestingly, Cowboys have been very much all over this, and very supportive.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Apparently Zeke has Corona
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

@botman, Brooks torn achilles. Ooph!
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Didnt take long for the Eagles injury curse to strike in 2020.
He's a big loss, arguably the best guard in the league, at worst second behind Nealson at the Colts.

I think there is probably a pretty strong chance the eagles look to bring back Jason Peters now, there was reports pre free agency that if he stays at the eagles he'd be willing to move inside to guard to help accomidate Dillard's move to LT... We could certainly use a G right now... He and Lane on the right wouldnt be a bad one year plug
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: June 16, 2020, 9:58 pm Didnt take long for the Eagles injury curse to strike in 2020.
He's a big loss, arguably the best guard in the league, at worst second behind Nealson at the Colts.

I think there is probably a pretty strong chance the eagles look to bring back Jason Peters now, there was reports pre free agency that if he stays at the eagles he'd be willing to move inside to guard to help accomidate Dillard's move to LT... We could certainly use a G right now... He and Lane on the right wouldnt be a bad one year plug
Indeed
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

In fact i think it's a slam dunk... you bring back Peters, he plays RG next to Lane, and if Dillard flat out stinks, and we have to get him out, then you've got a perfect bandaid LT, and you can probably find a serviceable guard, playing between Kelce and Johnson certainly helps there
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Dak signed the tag
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Adams wants to be a Cowboy, begging to be a Cowboy, but Jerry doesnt wanna give up a 1st
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Matt wrote: June 23, 2020, 10:38 am Adams wants to be a Cowboy, begging to be a Cowboy, but Jerry doesnt wanna give up a 1st
Adams wants to go to
*checks notes*
any of the 8 clubs that sit atop the Vegas odds to win the SB :lol:

I like Jamal Adams, he's very good at what he does, but isnt that good in coverage and wants to be paid 17m a year... i just dont think there is a way that will work for either NFC E team cap wise
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: June 23, 2020, 1:03 pm
Matt wrote: June 23, 2020, 10:38 am Adams wants to be a Cowboy, begging to be a Cowboy, but Jerry doesnt wanna give up a 1st
Adams wants to go to
*checks notes*
any of the 8 clubs that sit atop the Vegas odds to win the SB :lol:

I like Jamal Adams, he's very good at what he does, but isnt that good in coverage and wants to be paid 17m a year... i just dont think there is a way that will work for either NFC E team cap wise
Agreed
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Cam Newton is a Pat
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

That's interesting but not surprising. Great opportunity for Can to show he's still got it. Noises out of Foxborough was they considered Stidham to be their man. I guess they have their bases covered now.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Really interesting... i REALLY hope this is BB finally living out his dream of running some 1920's single wing offence and going to the play offs with it

This could be a really fun pats team if he just rolls out some real old school football
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Mahomes 10yrs, 40mill plus incentives a yr. Chiefs not messing around there
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Keen to see what those numbers look like when they come in, but thats obviously a major and significant commitment and that deal will get reworked in about 4-5 years :lol:

How the **** Cowboys let this deal go down before they got Dak done is insane haha

Edit: Just saw some early figures
10 years, 450m. 140m injury gtd...

roughly 45m a year... Dak ain't signing for less than 40m surely
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: July 7, 2020, 7:45 am Keen to see what those numbers look like when they come in, but thats obviously a major and significant commitment and that deal will get reworked in about 4-5 years :lol:

How the **** Cowboys let this deal go down before they got Dak done is insane haha

Edit: Just saw some early figures
10 years, 450m. 140m injury gtd...

roughly 45m a year... Dak ain't signing for less than 40m surely
Yup, the 1st 2 articles I read said 400 and in excess of 400, now there are others saying 450. Either way its crazy money.

As for Dak... NO F CLUE! Why they were worried about the years is beyond me. Who cares if you have to pay him again in 4yrs when he turns 30 and the new TV deal is done?!?!?
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Has anybody ever signed a 10 year contract before in the NFL?
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Now some figures coming in that it could be worth as much as $503m

I imagine that tied into incentives etc and there seems this deal is tied to "guarantee mechanisms" which is a new contractual term that im already sick of :lol:

But however it shakes it in terms of structure and actual money paid out, this will ultimately be Patty Mahomes getting about 42/43m a year to start, which will balloon up past 50+mil a year by the end of the contract.

However that contract will never sniff expiration, 5 years time when the gtd money dries out, health and nothing drastic to his level of play permitted, the deal will be redone and extended, with more gtd money added and on they march.

Watson and Dak will have to come in under this figure, you dont get to get more money than the reigning SB champ and MVP, who has a regular season MVP all within the first 3 years of his career... but i cant see why either one of them would take a cent less than 40m per year average.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Northern Raider wrote: July 7, 2020, 8:35 am Has anybody ever signed a 10 year contract before in the NFL?
Mike Vick did a 10 year deal with the Falcons back in 2004 at the peak of his powers.
The next longest i think was Tyron Smith signing for 8 years with Dallas off his rookie deal