Curtis Scott and our best backline

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Although Scott improved with his run metres in the second half, I have no confidence in his defence and errors in his game. He tends to rush up and gets nobody. A better side than Wests would have killed us yesterday. There is always a mistake in his game. He has at least 2 errors per match. He's also the type of centre that doesn't create much on his own, unlike Waqa Blake on Fri, Moses Suli, Staggs against Souths, Ramien vs Nth Qld, Bradman Best against us- these players have won games on their own this year. He's not an X factor like Joey who was rocks and diamonds but Scott doesn't even have the diamond element. His defence has been problematic in the past with Bellamy dropping him after the Roosters game when they won in Golden Point.

We have regressed and are very predictable in attack. CNK lacks confidence catching the ball on the full and will be targeted.

I'm thinking whether we should put Oldy in the Centres or Cotric, with Bailey or Oldy on the wing. Cotric is playing better this year. Tackle breaks, tries and run metres. Notice he doesn't score by Scott setting him up but by Williams' kicks or passes. Bailey does not give us the run metres coming out of our own territory. I do not think he is a good jumper for the high ball as well, or makes that many breaks. Thanks goodness for Rapa and that effort just before half time or it could have gotten difficult. Is Harley Smith-Shields ready to do a 2017 Cotric yet and graduate to a bench or wing spot?
Ilanraiders
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Rubenrunlikeatrainandhitlikeatruckwiki!

Re: Curtis Scott and our best backline

Post by Ilanraiders »

Well said, however Sticky will most likely persevere with Scott until he gets good
"Learn to appreciate what you have, before time makes you appreciate what you had"!! RAIDERSTILLIDIE!!
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

I know Mal has an association with the Titans, but I think it would be of benefit to Scott and others if the Worlds best ever right center and current Australian Coach was asked if he would be prepared to do some work with our backline. In particular about not jamming in on defence and allowing a free run to our line down the flanks. This was very evident against the Knights. Have some faith in the players infield. Don't rush in unless you can stop the ball.

In attack I am waiting for George to pass to Tapine or Scott who simply run straight at the player opposite them to stop the slide and then do the old 'run around' play. It then gives George the opportunity to run or pass wide with an overlap created and CNK in support.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

It is obvious that Croker, Rapana and Cotric are our three best outside backs and all three must start. I think Cotric can do a quality job for us either on the wing or at right centre so it comes down to who offers more out of Simonsson on the wing or Scott in the centres. At halftime last night I had Bailey starting next week. By fulltime I was back with Scott. It is a really close call.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

Whatever was said to him or whatever he said to himself at halftime, seemed to help. He ghosted in the second half which was probably a blessing.

Is there is anything worse than trying to milk a penalty and then turning over possession in the same play... one of those things that you hopefully never repeat on a football field.

He has ability, we just need to afford him some patience if we want to see it on a consistent basis. For now, we’re stuck with him so may as well give him time to mature.

I’m more concerned about how clunky our spine looked in attack, namely Josh Hodgson. Didn’t really have a plan B when the Tigers rushed up out of the line. CNK was average too.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

I said the CNK thing last week and got slammed. He is very shakey under the high ball, therefore Cotric has to stay on the wing unfortunately now to catch the high pressure ones over CNK.

Scott is the Lui of the backline now. Will always produce an error but we have no one else to step in.

The upside is Williams - what a find! We now have lethal attaching options on both the left and the right.
Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Post by Raider47 »

Wiki Special wrote: June 14, 2020, 8:45 am It is obvious that Croker, Rapana and Cotric are our three best outside backs and all three must start. I think Cotric can do a quality job for us either on the wing or at right centre so it comes down to who offers more out of Simonsson on the wing or Scott in the centres. At halftime last night I had Bailey starting next week. By fulltime I was back with Scott. It is a really close call.
I wouldn't discount Oldy either. Every time he has played he has not disappointed.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

Raider47 wrote: June 14, 2020, 9:14 am
Wiki Special wrote: June 14, 2020, 8:45 am It is obvious that Croker, Rapana and Cotric are our three best outside backs and all three must start. I think Cotric can do a quality job for us either on the wing or at right centre so it comes down to who offers more out of Simonsson on the wing or Scott in the centres. At halftime last night I had Bailey starting next week. By fulltime I was back with Scott. It is a really close call.
I wouldn't discount Oldy either. Every time he has played he has not disappointed.
Yes, good point.
Leebola
Brett Mullins

Post by Leebola »

Give him time. The whole team is a bit shaky atm. CNK will come good too. Were five games into a very strange year.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

He wasn't even that bad once our middle showed up.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

If only we had Leila to finish this year off, then we could go buy a decent centre in the off season.

I like cotric coming off the wing to start sets and finish tries.

If he continues to be garbage we should try raps a or Simonsson in the centres..
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Leebola wrote: June 14, 2020, 9:32 am Give him time. The whole team is a bit shaky atm. CNK will come good too. Were five games into a very strange year.
...and we're still 2nd on the ladder. :thumbsup
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Scott had a self inflicted horrible pre-season. Poor preparation has led to poor results.

All I want for him is to stop trying to milk penalties, stop dropping the ball cold and stop jamming in when it's not required. 3 pretty simple asks.

The rest will look after itself.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

I actually think that Scott is trying too hard. He wants to prove himself to Canberra after they didn't immediately sack him over the off-season, and he's just pushing things that shouldn't be pushed.

That said my patience is rapidly running thin with him and I want to start seeing an upswing soon. Plus we play Manly this week, and that cretin Walker will certainly be out to rile him up given their history.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

If the topic is Scott and our best backline I don't see him in it. From what I've seen in green (never mind Melbourne) so far I'd place him in the bottom 3 or 4 centres in the comp.

Makes the _same_ error dropping it down our own end again and again from loose carries. So he doesn't learn from his mistakes and he's so lanky he gets manhandled into dropping it. Too weak to make yards on a tough carry. Defensively suspect. Even when he does hit, there's no oomph to it, no chance to change the momentum of a set. No particular speed or passing game on show.

We've all seen enough games now to know that when a team gets a glut of possession early they can basically bury you in 10-15 minutes. Tigers had that opportunity against us but we squeaked out of it because Tigers are not a top 8 standard team. Anyone else would have put us away. And that run of possession started with Scott's drop. An error he had made early in the game -every-single-game- since the restart.

We have players waiting in the wings who are NRL standard and show significant upside. I don't need to sell anyone on Oldy, he'd be a very solid contributor. Speed to burn, runs HAM and a big body. I've seen Simonsen save tries with defence and bust through a line in his first 4-5 NRL starts- never seen Scott do either.

I'm out of patience with Scott. Ricky must be close to it as well.
Sleek the Elite
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jackie Boi

Post by Sleek the Elite »

Cotric at right centre with Jordy Raps outside him and Croker at left centre with Simonsson outside him gives us a blend of youth and experience on both sides of the field.

I think that's our best combination although Scott probably does need to be given more time to settle in and show us what he can do.
Last edited by Sleek the Elite on June 14, 2020, 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Forum members with gravitas: greeneyed, Seiffert82, dubby.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past: Daley
Present: Strange

Post by Dusty »

I think Scott has room to improve. However, I think he’s copping more flack than is warranted on here.

I’d be prepared to pick him at right centre going forward.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

It’s clear that edge needs a bit of work on their defensive patterns and communication which isn’t surprising given there are 3 changes from last year. They need to trust the middle to cover up while they stay on their players instead of jamming in.

Our set starts haven’t been going well across the board. With CNK a bit shaken and teams putting a really good kick chase on him over the last few weeks. It has made those metres out of dummy half very tough.

This is where we miss BJ. Straight hard running from our own end and quick play of the balls. Someone that can create momentum from nothing. Really only Cotric is bringing that at the moment.
GMGT
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Johnny Bateman

Post by GMGT »

How about we all wait for more than 3 games into a "new season" at a new club, after a horror personal off season which then got further disrupted by the covid pandemic. We are sitting 2nd and we are 2 points off the top in a season where we have been no where near our best thus far. I think when we start playing better as a team Scott will flourish.. he showed sparks of brilliance in that combo with cotric and after a couple of rough weeks in what have been a couple of tough weeks as a team against determined opposition and suddenly it's off with his head!!
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

papabear wrote:If only we had Leila to finish this year off, then we could go buy a decent centre in the off season.

I like cotric coming off the wing to start sets and finish tries.

If he continues to be garbage we should try raps a or Simonsson in the centres..
BJ certainly proved us wrong to let him go, with his performance yesterday. He did nothing despite many people on this site claiming that he would absolutely rip us apart.

There is nothing wrong with Scott. He had a poor game against the knights. He wasn't recruited to win games for us off his own back.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

GMGT wrote: June 14, 2020, 12:34 pm How about we all wait for more than 3 games into a "new season" at a new club, after a horror personal off season which then got further disrupted by the covid pandemic. We are sitting 2nd and we are 2 points off the top in a season where we have been no where near our best thus far. I think when we start playing better as a team Scott will flourish.. he showed sparks of brilliance in that combo with cotric and after a couple of rough weeks in what have been a couple of tough weeks as a team against determined opposition and suddenly it's off with his head!!
Agree. Thanks for typing it.
Dont delete this GE
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Savage, Timoko, Strange, Tapine, Rapana

Post by Neeeegz »

Scott is playing better than croker this year... there, I said it.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

GMGT wrote: June 14, 2020, 12:34 pm How about we all wait for more than 3 games into a "new season" at a new club, after a horror personal off season which then got further disrupted by the covid pandemic. We are sitting 2nd and we are 2 points off the top in a season where we have been no where near our best thus far. I think when we start playing better as a team Scott will flourish.. he showed sparks of brilliance in that combo with cotric and after a couple of rough weeks in what have been a couple of tough weeks as a team against determined opposition and suddenly it's off with his head!!
:clap:
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

I guess we've found our scapegoat for the year

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Well, if you bleat like a goat, gonna get scaped
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

I'm a bit sheepish about it because I didn't like the signing to start with and canned him on here last week. And that really helps no one so I'm trying to ease off the bloke on here. He does deserve to be given a chance, he is a first grader, and you can't blacklist a bloke off 3 shaky games.

The one interesting thing about the discussion of the backline is that I think most would agree that we really look to be missing a bit of muscle, power and probably size with ball in hand from the outside backs. If the current backline selection doesn't work and Stuart is deadset on having an outside back on the bench I think Oldfield playing as a starting winger at some point has some merit. Disregarding age, upside and contract size he could be an ok solution if that continues to be a problem. Yes he's a journeyman at the back end of his career but he has been a very good performer for the club when playing in position on the wing IMO. He's a pretty big body at this point in his career and I thought he really found a bit of a nack of using his speed/power to make some hard meters from our own end last year and he does it a bit differently to most (not as reliant on late footwork to hit a half hole).
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Yeah, agreed on the muscle. Scott is still in my team next week, but he’s not delivering the standard I think Ricky is looking for at this stage.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Seiffert82 wrote: June 14, 2020, 10:48 am Scott had a self inflicted horrible pre-season. Poor preparation has led to poor results.

All I want for him is to stop trying to milk penalties, stop dropping the ball cold and stop jamming in when it's not required. 3 pretty simple asks.

The rest will look after itself.
:D Great point S82. You can take the boy out of Melbourne but it is more difficult to take the Melbourne out of the boy.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

yeh raiders wrote: June 14, 2020, 9:07 am Whatever was said to him or whatever he said to himself at halftime, seemed to help. He ghosted in the second half which was probably a blessing.

Is there is anything worse than trying to milk a penalty and then turning over possession in the same play... one of those things that you hopefully never repeat on a football field.

He has ability, we just need to afford him some patience if we want to see it on a consistent basis. For now, we’re stuck with him so may as well give him time to mature.

I’m more concerned about how clunky our spine looked in attack, namely Josh Hodgson. Didn’t really have a plan B when the Tigers rushed up out of the line. CNK was average too.
I agree he looked a lot better in the 2nd half, just seemed to get on with playing footy.
I also agree that for now we have stick with it and have some patience but i must admit its already starting to wear thin with me and i think im a pretty patient person when it comes to this sort of stuff... we have a unique opportunity this season, so i cant really blame others for losing it already

Scott is in my team now but i am going to need to see some improvement in his game. I want to see his error count come down and i want to see him do a bit more coming off our line and try to get move involved generally.

If we're here still talking about his poor form in 3-4 more weeks... i cant sit here and argue for his retention, not when we've got Simo and Oldy as back ups who i know can do the job at winger and Cotric who we know can be an impact centre. This is our premiership window, we can be waiting around for guys like Scott to find form
Last edited by Botman on June 14, 2020, 5:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Neeeegz wrote: June 14, 2020, 1:10 pm Scott is playing better than croker this year... there, I said it.
The earth is flat... there, i said it.

And given i have not circumnavigated the earth to confirm NASA's "photos" im not convinced my statement is any more absurd than yours.
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

He's been very frustrating but you need to give him more 3 or 4 games.

On the error last night I'm not sure he was trying to milk a penalty, just got caught up trying to get a quick pay the ball and tangled himself up, I thought the tigers player could have just as easily been penalised especially under the new rules, made very little effort to clear the ruck
Pete Cash
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Pete Cash »

Honestly I'm not sure what Scott could have done much better on the penalty. The tiger player was right in the ruck where the ball was. He has a duty to at least try and clear the ptb
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

In that scenario he’s just got to do his best and play footy, if he’s interfered with, we’ll get the penalty

What they’ll rarely do now is award the penalty when the player is clearly trying to be interfered with.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

Lots of overreacting in here.

He needs time.

The whole right side is new and it will continue to change until Bateman comes back.

Our problem has been the middle where opposing teams seem to roll through with ease.

We have yet to put together an effort where we control that aspect of our game for any decent amount of time...yet we sit second on the ladder.

Translation: Were playing poorly, yet winning. When we find our grove, Individual performances won’t matter.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Yep. On Saturday we did the exact thing we wished we could do for about 15 years.