2020 Rd 4 V Knights: Game Day

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders V Newcastle Knights
Sunday June 7 4:05pm
Campbelltown Stadium
TV coverage: Nine, Fox League Channel 502
Radio: ABC, Mix 106.3
Weather: Late shower or two. Partly cloudy. Early fog patches, mainly in the west. High (80 per cent) chance of showers near the coast, mainly in the evening, grading to a slight (30 per cent) chance in the west. Light winds becoming southerly 15 to 20 km/h in the afternoon. Chance of any rain: 40 per cent. Possible rainfall: 0 to 1 mm Min 3 Max 18

The Canberra Raiders will play at their new "home" ground of Campbelltown Stadium in Round 4, when they meet the Newcastle Knights.

Last week: Canberra Raiders 22 - Melbourne Storm 6. The Raiders returned to the field after a 10 week break, due to the pandemic, and produced an impressive display against the premiership favourites on the Storm's home turf. There is no doubt that the Storm were not at their best. But the Raiders' defence also frustrated Melbourne into error. The Raiders recorded their third win in a row against Melbourne for the first time - and, better still, all three games were played in Melbourne. They have also now started the season with three straight victories, conceding just three tries in the process. In a shortened season, it is a great platform. And better still, the Raiders have room for improvement.

More on Round 3: As I saw it

Team news: Canberra Raiders star forward John Bateman has been ruled out for an indefinite period after a second operation on his shoulder. Winger Bailey Simon (minor leg infection) takes his place on the left wing, with Jordan Rapana starting from the bench. Michael Oldfield drops back to the reserves list.

For the Knights, Andrew McCullough will make his Newcastle debut at starting hooker, with Connor Watson (syndesmosis) ruled out for 6-8 weeks. Kalyn Ponga returns from suspension at fullback, while Tex Hoy drops back to the bench. Mitchell Pearce (concussion) has been named at half. Aidan Guerra has been named in the second row, with Lachlan Fitzgibbon (hamstring) remaining unavailable. Herman Ese'ese will start at lock, while Brodie Jones has been retained on the bench after making his first grade debut last week.

Milestone: Ricky Stuart joins Don Furner Snr as the equal second longest serving coach of the Canberra Raiders in this match.

Late changes: Kai O’Donnell and Michael Oldfield dropped out of the Raiders squad on Saturday. Mason Lino and Pasami Saulo were omitted by the Knights, with Mitchell Pearce passing concussion protocols.

History: Canberra has a good overall record against Newcastle, winning 28 of 50 games, with two draws. The recent record is fairly strong as well, winning six and drawing one match in the last 10 clashes. In 2017, the Raiders suffered an embarrassing 34-20 loss in Round 10 at Hunter Stadium - to a team that would win just five matches all season. Canberra turned it around at home, winning 46-28 in Round 25. By then, the season was pretty much over for the Green Machine. In Round 2 of 2018, the Raiders suffered an awful, last gasp 30-28 loss to the Knights at home. But in 2019, it was a much different Green Macine that took out the Round 3 clash at Canberra Stadium, 17-10. The two clubs have never met before at Campbelltown Stadium. The Raiders have won 42 per cent of their matches at the venue, the Knights 36 per cent.

2019 Round 3: Canberra Raiders V Newcastle Knights

2018 Round 2: Canberra Raiders V Newcastle Knights

Form: Raiders: WLWWW
Knights: WLWWD

The Raiders have posted a 3 and 0 start to 2020, while the Knights are also undefeated so far this year. They had wins over the Warriors (20-0) and Tigers (42-24) in the first two rounds - while an under-strength Knights drew 14-14 with the Panthers in Round 3.

Betting: The Raiders are $1.32 favourites, while the Knights are paying $3.40. The Knights have 8.0 points start in the line betting. The Raiders have firmed in the days leading up to the game.

Stat attack: This is a battle between second (Raiders) and third (Knights) on the ladder. It is difficult to make too much of the statistics for 2020, after just three rounds. However, the Knights have the slightly better attacking record, while the Raiders have the better defence.

The Knights rank equal first, with the Cowboys, for total tries scored in 2020 (14 tries, Raiders fifth, with 12). The Knights have also made more metres with the ball in hand than the Raiders so far this season, but the Raiders are top four for both tackle breaks and line breaks (Knights eighth). The Raiders have never had a better defensive opening to a season (18 points conceded). 1990 was the next best defensive start (20 points conceded) but the Raiders lost one of their opening three games that year.

The Knights have close to the best completion rate in the league (82 per cent), just behind the Warriors, while the Raiders rank 12th (74 per cent). The Raiders gave the Storm plenty of opportunities through error last week, and it is no doubt an area coach Ricky Stuart will be looking to improve this week.

No team has kicked more than the Knights so far this season - but the Raiders are not far behind them in the kicking stakes, ranking fifth for most kick metres (Knights third). The Raiders have produced two 40/20 kicks in the opening games, more than any team.

2020 Season record: Raiders 3 and 0 (2nd, +48)
Knights 2 and 0, 1 draw (3rd, +38)

Attack: Raiders 22 points and 4 tries scored per match, ranked 5th
Knights 25 points and 5 tries scored per match, ranked 3rd

Defence: Raiders 6 points and 1 try conceded per match, ranked 2nd
Knights 13 points and 2 tries conceded per match, ranked 5th

Possession: Raiders 48 per cent, Knights 50 per cent

Completion rate: Raiders 74 per cent, Knights 82 per cent

Running: Raiders 1670 running metres from 176 runs (15 dummy half runs), 170 kick return metres, 474 post contact metres per match
Knights 1820 running metres from 204 runs (9 dummy half runs), 229 kick return metres, 568 post contact metres per match

Tackle breaks: Raiders 39, Knights 32

Line breaks: Raiders 4, Knights 3 per match

Try assists: Raiders 3, Knights 3 per match

Line break assists: Raiders 2, Knights 2 per match

Offloads: Raiders 7, Knights 7 per match

Kicking: Raiders 577 kicking metres from 20 kicks per match
Knights 612 kicking metres from 25 kicks per match

Tackling: Raiders 322 made, 32 missed, 15 ineffective per match, 87 per cent tackle efficiency
Knights 389 made, 33 missed, 15 ineffective per match, 89 per cent tackle efficiency

Running metres conceded: Raiders 1394, Knights 1472 metres per match

Errors: Raiders 11, Knights 10 per match

Penalties conceded: Raiders 7, Knights 6 per match

Key match-ups:

George Williams and Mitchell Pearce. The battle of the halves. George Williams made a huge impression in the Raiders' win over the Storm, producing a memorable ball and all tackle on Ryan Papenhuyzen and setting up two tries. The first try assist was the result of a wonderful, long pass to winger Nick Cotric, which cut out two Canberra attackers. He set up the second with a dummy and great break up the middle, before passing back inside to Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad. Williams took three points in Dally M voting for Round 3, and his odds for taking out the award have dramatically shortened. Mitchell Pearce played just four minutes against the Panthers in Round 3, after suffering a head knock. But he's been one of the premier halves in the NRL for some time.

Both players have three try assists and one line break assist so far in 2020. Pearce has one try, while Williams is still looking for his first in the NRL. Pearce is a more traditional half, with the better long kicking game (277 kicking metres per game, Williams 190). But Williams is the stronger runner (74 running metres per game, Pearce 29). Williams also has a significant advantage in this match-up in defence - with the English import posting an 87 per cent tackle efficiency rate, compared with 56 per cent for Pearce.

Josh Papalii and David Klemmer The representative props both line up in the No. 8 jersey, but will have a huge influence in the battle of the packs. Papalii probably took over the mantle as the best front rower in the game in 2019, but both finished the year as the starting props for Australia. So far in 2020, there is not much between them. Klemmer has averaged more running metres (193, Papalii 165), but Papalii has made more tackle breaks (12, Klemmer six). Klemmer has posted nine offloads, Papalii three. Klemmer has also pulled off more tackles, but Papalii has the better tackle efficiency rate (98 per cent, Klemmer 93 per cent). Both will be wanting to come out on top in this one.

Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad and Kayln Ponga. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad had a break out season at fullback for the Raiders in 2019, but 22 year old Kalyn Ponga is one of the most dangerous players in the game today. Ponga was suspended in Round 3, after being cited for a shoulder charge on Tigers player Corey Thompson. But Ponga started the 2020 season strongly. He has posted two tries, while Nicoll-Klokstad got his first for the year on Saturday night, in the match against the Storm. Ponga has also averaged more running metres (204, Nicoll-Klokstad 169) and posted more tackle breaks (10, Nicoll-Klokstad six). If I was awarding a "skin", it'd have to go to Ponga in this one.

Our tip: Both the Raiders and Knights have started the season well, but the Raiders are deserved favourites in this game. The Knights were severely disrupted last weekend and they still did well to force a draw against the Panthers. The Raiders performed strongly against the Storm in their most recent outing - and adjusted very well to the NRL's latest rule changes. But Raiders coach Ricky Stuart has correctly pointed out that there is room for further improvement. The Raiders will want to lift their completion rate on Sunday - because they can't give the likes of Kalyn Ponga the opportunities that they gave the Storm. If the Raiders can do that, and maintain their energy and commitment in defence, they should be too good for Newcastle. Raiders by six.

What they're saying:

Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart looking for improvement after Storm win: "I was really disappointed with how we played and how we executed in the second half and it is not the standard that we are trying to play to. I was very happy with how we started the game... but we didn’t go on with it. Fortunately for us they didn’t play well in the second half and we will probably never play against a Melbourne Storm team that plays that poorly in the second half. It was the grittiness that we showed in the end that was the telling factor.”

Canberra Raiders

1. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
2. Bailey Simonsson
3. Jarrod Croker (C)
4. Curtis Scott
5. Nick Cotric
6. Jack Wighton
7. George Williams
8. Josh Papalii
9. Josh Hodgson (C)
10. Dunamis Lui
11. Joe Tapine
12. Elliott Whitehead
13. Corey Horsburgh

14. Siliva Havili
15. Emre Guler
16. Sia Soliola
17. Jordan Rapana

18. Tom Starling
19. Matt Frawley

Injury/Suspension

John Bateman, Shoulder (Indefinite)
Ryan Sutton , Calf (Round 5)
Hudson Young, Suspension (Round 6)
Andre Niko, Knee (Season)
Sebastian Kris, Extended sick leave

Newcastle Knights

1. Kalyn Ponga
2. Edrick Lee
3. Enari Tuala
4. Bradman Best
5. Hymel Hunt
6. Kurt Mann
7. Mitchell Pearce
8. David Klemmer
9. Andrew McCullough
10. Daniel Saifiti
11. Aidan Guerra
12. Sione Mata'utia
13. Herman Ese'ese

14. Tex Hoy
15. Jacob Saifiti
16. Tim Glasby
17. Brodie Jones

18. Gehamat Shibasaki
19. Chris Randall

Officials

Referee: Ashley Klein
Touch judges: Ziggy Przeklasa-Adamski, Dave Munro
Video referees: Steve Chiddy, Beau Scott

Match Hashtags: #NRL #WeareRaiders #BleedGreen #NRLRaidersKnights

The Greenhouse Hashtags: #WearGreen2020 #FromAllAngles

Plus follow us on Twitter: @TheGHRaiders and Instagram: @TheGHRaiders[/color][/size][/b]
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: 2020 Rd 4 V Knights: Game Day

Post by greeneyed »

Game day preview updated for squads, team changes, officials, weather and odds: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34048&p=1731260#p1731260
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Lose to these ***** and your just ****... tick tock.
This place is woke.
Ilanraiders
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Rubenrunlikeatrainandhitlikeatruckwiki!

Post by Ilanraiders »

Game day!! Go the Raiders!!
"Learn to appreciate what you have, before time makes you appreciate what you had"!! RAIDERSTILLIDIE!!
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

John, James and PJ are primed for this..

#bleedgreen
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

-PJ- wrote:John, James and PJ are primed for this..

#bleedgreen
I have guests at footy time, I hate this current draw

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Walter
David Grant

Post by Walter »

Just back from the pub in Zagreb - 7 hours sleep then game time Image

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

bonehead wrote: June 7, 2020, 8:26 am
-PJ- wrote:John, James and PJ are primed for this..

#bleedgreen
I have guests at footy time, I hate this current draw

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Outlaws again mate ?

No unwanted freeloaders here, just plenty of green, plenty of refreshments.

Have a great day boner !!
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Joseph 'the worm' Tapine

Post by 1992 »

Walter wrote: June 7, 2020, 8:37 am Just back from the pub in Zagreb - 7 hours sleep then game time Image

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
How are you liking the old country?
WHAT A LONG STRANGE TRIP IT'S BEEN
Peter
Jason Croker

Post by Peter »

This will be a real test for the boys. It’s easy to be ‘up’ for Melbourne in Melbourne. But they need to really show up again. The Knights roster is deceivingly decent across the park and has the ability to play well if they choose to.

If Pearce is ruled out, they have a brilliant spine of Ponga, Mann, Hoy, McCullough. Only the Bulldogs would rival them in class through the 1,6,7,9.

Raiders by 24.
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

Pearce is playing
Vaccinated
RichmondRaider
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Jordy Raps

Post by RichmondRaider »

Surely we don't loose to a team with Kurt Mann in the spine
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

cat wrote: June 7, 2020, 10:02 amPearce is playing
Then he must be Papalii-ed...
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

Game day you unruly lot!

Trying to decide if I watch on Kayo or if I brace myself to watch on Nein because if we give the Raiders hits then maybe...? Nah. I hate Nein too much.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

raiderskater wrote:Game day you unruly lot!

Trying to decide if I watch on Kayo or if I brace myself to watch on Nein because if we give the Raiders hits then maybe...? Nah. I hate Nein too much.
If you ain’t got a ratings box in your house there’s no reason to put yourself through it. You won’t change the ratings.
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

Its freezing up here, sun has gone and looks like possible rain
Vaccinated
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

cat wrote:Pearce is playing
Concussion? What's a concussion?

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

Welcome to our coverage of today's NRL clash between the Canberra Raiders and Newcastle Knights. Join us from 4:05pm for live scores and chat. The Raiders are 1-17. Tom Starling and Matt Frawley drop out for the Raiders. The Knights are also 1-17. These are the team line ups:

Canberra Raiders

1. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
2. Bailey Simonsson
3. Jarrod Croker (C)
4. Curtis Scott
5. Nick Cotric
6. Jack Wighton
7. George Williams
8. Josh Papalii
9. Josh Hodgson (C)
10. Dunamis Lui
11. Joe Tapine
12. Elliott Whitehead
13. Corey Horsburgh

14. Siliva Havili
15. Emre Guler
16. Sia Soliola
17. Jordan Rapana

Injury/Suspension

John Bateman, Shoulder (Indefinite)
Ryan Sutton , Calf (Round 5)
Hudson Young, Suspension (Round 6)
Andre Niko, Knee (Season)
Sebastian Kris, Extended sick leave

Newcastle Knights

1. Kalyn Ponga
2. Edrick Lee
3. Enari Tuala
4. Bradman Best
5. Hymel Hunt
6. Kurt Mann
7. Mitchell Pearce
8. David Klemmer
9. Andrew McCullough
10. Daniel Saifiti
11. Aidan Guerra
12. Sione Mata'utia
13. Herman Ese'ese

14. Tex Hoy
15. Jacob Saifiti
16. Tim Glasby
17. Brodie Jones
Last edited by The Greenhouse on June 7, 2020, 3:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Greenhouse score update service
raiderskater
Jason Croker

Post by raiderskater »

gangrenous wrote: June 7, 2020, 12:24 pm
raiderskater wrote:Game day you unruly lot!

If you ain’t got a ratings box in your house there’s no reason to put yourself through it. You won’t change the ratings.
Fair point. Kayo it is.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

It’s win win as your viewer number will at least be counted on Kayo.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

Man those odds are making me nervous
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

ABC grandstand about to discuss Raiders first game.
GMGT
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Johnny Bateman

Post by GMGT »

LETS FLOG THESE ****
raiderskater
Jason Croker

Post by raiderskater »

Oh my god, we're never going to hear the end of this damn forward pass, because it's a Sydney club.

Jason Croker

Post by 1992 »

In seasons gone by this would be a loss. I never want the old Raiders back.
Johno
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Johno »

Anasta didnt even mention the whole team! lol
Jason Croker

Post by 1992 »

Are the green jerseys the reason why our team looks bigger than any other team?
Johno
David Furner

Post by Johno »

I can feel a big game from Jack today
Thomas Raider
Brett Mullins

Post by Thomas Raider »

Go the green :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot:
KingDynamite
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by KingDynamite »

Can’t help feel we either lose a close one or win a blowout. Hoping for the latter!
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

Both teams back in the sheds after the warm up, now the Knights head out onto the field. Now comes the virtual Viking Clap! Terry Campese starts it. Now the Raiders are out on the field. Raiders kick off, we are underway!
Last edited by The Greenhouse on June 7, 2020, 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
raiderskater
Jason Croker

Post by raiderskater »

Virtual Clap not quite as good as the real thing but still awesome!

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

First ever Viking Clap via Zoom meeting
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

2nd min Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad ruled to have knocked on the bomb. Looked like it went back. Knights scrum 12m out.
Jason Croker

Post by 1992 »

Gave them too many metres thay first set.