Bateman confirms he’s heading back to Wigan Warriors in 2021

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Bateman confirms he’s heading back to Wigan Warriors in 2021

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders superstar John Bateman asked club four times to let him go over pay feud

The Canberra Raiders have rejected four release requests from English international John Bateman’s management since last year’s grand final. The Raiders rejected the repeated release requests over summer and will maintain the England forward has a contract in the national capital until the end of 2021.

When contacted by Fox Sports manager Isaac Moses denied the story, saying: “You’re wrong. You’ll see the full story.” Fox Sports stands by the story.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... d97bf52bdc
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Re: John Bateman requested release four times over pay feud

Post by bonehead »

I'll back don and stick to sort it

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

This is what i wanted to avoid when i said at the end of the GF that paying John Bateman needed to be made a priority.
We can not allow this situation to fester and create ill feelings.

Pay him what he's worth.
Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Post by Raider47 »

Wonderful.
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

I fully expect that the reason we’ve released L.Bateman, Collins and Murchie is to upgrade guys like Bateman, and we’ll elevate lower paid players to hold their spots in the squad.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Timbo wrote: May 22, 2020, 2:16 pm I fully expect that the reason we’ve released L.Bateman, Collins and Murchie is to upgrade guys like Bateman, and we’ll elevate lower paid players to hold their spots in the squad.
Lets hope so. As said above, we cant allow this to fester... the manager can do as he pleases but if this gets to the point where John Bateman no longer wants to play for our club, it's a disaster.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

This sucks.
Organised Chaos
Dean Lance
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Organised Chaos »

Article written by Hooper... speaks volumes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old School Green
Dean Lance

Post by Old School Green »

Let's not get carried away by the headline. Begged for a release? Please...
Clearly JB wants more money and clearly the raiders are going to give it to him. He has been training, recovering, prepping for the season with us. Classic grub manager tactics pure and simple.

Coincidence that it comes up GF week/first week back before comp? I think not. All well placed/timed stories to create pressure, maximise the $$ etc.

I'm more interested in whether he will play or not i hope he does and suspect there is smoke....
87, 89, 90, 91, 94, 19
I was there. Go the Milk !!
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Hopefully he is just angling for more money from us, but I can't do the math that would let us go near what some other clubs will be throwing at him.
kona_dream
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by kona_dream »

This has typical player manager written all over this. I really hope that the Clubs and NRL stand up to players (managers) simply wanting to kick stones if they don't like the contract they signed part way through. I really don't think Bateman is the type of guy that would do this type of thing and would all be coming from the manager. I doubt we will see him drink Cruisers on the roof.
Watching the last dance with Pippen and his contract. Those were the days when you signed a contract and were required to fulfil it, even if you were playing above your pay packet.
AUSTEZER
Terry Campese
Favourite Player: John Ferguson

Post by AUSTEZER »

Have we got enough cap space to upgrade him
Horace Dove-Edwin
Dean Lance
Favourite Player: Chicka Ferguson

Post by Horace Dove-Edwin »

Botman wrote:
Timbo wrote: May 22, 2020, 2:16 pm I fully expect that the reason we’ve released L.Bateman, Collins and Murchie is to upgrade guys like Bateman, and we’ll elevate lower paid players to hold their spots in the squad.
Lets hope so. As said above, we cant allow this to fester... the manager can do as he pleases but if this gets to the point where John Bateman no longer wants to play for our club, it's a disaster.
I think this must be the case.
We've got heaps of back up in the back row.
Those three were expendable.
That money goes to John.

Sent from my Mi A3 using Tapatalk

-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I don't believe for a second John is unhappy.

Don understands what he needs to do to keep John happy.

Pay the bloke..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

No pretty sure he'd want to stay - his manager is a low life turnip though
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

JB's first year in the NRL was a cracker. I'm sure the Raiders signed him as a highly prospective player who had not yet played week to week NRL footy. There were bound to be some sort of payment escalation clauses depending on performance. He has a contract until 2021 and the Raiders will hold him to it. They will likely make a good offer which will be rejected by his Manager. Then the stories will be about an unhappy player looking for opportunity. Unhappy players lead to unhappy clubs.

The only release I would make would be to go back to England and his Raiders contract will be enforced should he want to play in the NRL up to 2021. His daughter is in England and it would make sense for him to go there. The Manager would then lose his money tree. The Raiders would lose a quality player but demonstrate they will not be bent over by player managers. I have to say I am disappointed that the Club which gave him opportunity is now seen as unworthy for him to play for.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

The $11.83 I won on lotto the other night is heading your way JohnBoy...
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

Concerning that his injury has been slower due to not having staff around during shutdown. Surely you spend as much as you need to get your players on the field. Unless he is doing a Scott Pippen...
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: John Bateman reportedly requested release four times over pay feud

Post by greeneyed »

Seems the story has been amended a bit since it first went up. Moses denying the story, but Fox Sports standing by it.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Old School Green wrote: May 22, 2020, 2:35 pm Let's not get carried away by the headline. Begged for a release? Please...
Clearly JB wants more money and clearly the raiders are going to give it to him. He has been training, recovering, prepping for the season with us. Classic grub manager tactics pure and simple.

Coincidence that it comes up GF week/first week back before comp? I think not. All well placed/timed stories to create pressure, maximise the $$ etc.

I'm more interested in whether he will play or not i hope he does and suspect there is smoke....
Yeah Moses sure can pick his moments.

I wonder if moving on some of these second tier forwards is a sign of the club trying to scrape together another 50-75k in savings to top up Bateman?
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

greeneyed wrote: May 22, 2020, 3:38 pm Seems the story has been amended a bit since it first went up. Moses denying the story, but Fox Sports standing by it.
That quote from Moses has me more worried. Sounds like spin incoming.
Elcaptcroker
David Grant
Favourite Player: Jarrod croker

Post by Elcaptcroker »

If this goes down badly i dont see it ending well for batemen, this will radiate between the players with in the raiders and the english side, hes got a quarter of the english team playin alongside of him. He will burn bridges inside the team which will follow on to the english team.

But saying that we went through the same thing after josh's first year too so im guessing media and manager trying to cause a **** to fill the managers back pocket

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

edwahu wrote: May 22, 2020, 4:12 pm
greeneyed wrote: May 22, 2020, 3:38 pm Seems the story has been amended a bit since it first went up. Moses denying the story, but Fox Sports standing by it.
That quote from Moses has me more worried. Sounds like spin incoming.
Moses leaks the story while providing the quote for his denial. Never know what to believe when he's feeding the news.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
rolhai
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Shaun Fensom

Post by rolhai »

Moses doesn't get paid till Bateman signs a new contract. Old manager signed him here and got the goodies.

Moses just wanting his pound of flesh

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

1985/86: The last time we missed consecutive finals series.....Until STICKY
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Ricky Stuart hoses down speculation around the future of star English forward John Bateman

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart hoses down speculation around the future of John Bateman

Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart has hosed down speculation around the future of star English forward John Bateman and says the club and John’s relationship continues to be as strong as ever.

“John’s on contract with us until the end of 2021 and we’re very comfortable with our relationship with John,” Stuart said. “He’s been working very hard to get himself right to go from his shoulder surgery and at the moment this is what we’re focussed on.

Read more: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2020/05 ... s-bateman/
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Re: Ricky Stuart hoses down speculation around the future of star English forward John Bateman

Post by -PJ- »

greeneyed wrote: May 22, 2020, 5:14 pm Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart hoses down speculation around the future of John Bateman

Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart has hosed down speculation around the future of star English forward John Bateman and says the club and John’s relationship continues to be as strong as ever.

“John’s on contract with us until the end of 2021 and we’re very comfortable with our relationship with John,” Stuart said. “He’s been working very hard to get himself right to go from his shoulder surgery and at the moment this is what we’re focussed on.

Read more: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2020/05 ... s-bateman/
And I'll sleep sound tonight..just as I thought I would.
It grinds my gears that nonsense rubbish is written in the first place..

JohnBoy will be back on the paddock real soon, wearing our glorious jersey and LOVIN IT !!!
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Hooper is now reporting we are allowing him to test the market and that he is on 580k at the moment and wants 800k+. It doesn't look good for him staying.

Canberra Raiders star John Bateman permitted to talk to other clubs after $800,000 demand

Canberra Raiders have been forced into giving English international John Bateman permission to test his value on the NRL open market with rival clubs.

Bateman, believed to be on a deal worth around $580,000 a season, has been pushing for a contract upgrade worth upwards of the $800,000 mark.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 4ef50e4453

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/john-batem ... eff990cf17
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

580k is good coin. go get that bit extra to play for a junk team

Edrick The Entertainer
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

The thing is... a good team with paper bags and endless tpa's will probably end up with him if he leaves.
2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
robtheraider
David Grant
Favourite Player: Chris O'Sullivan

Post by robtheraider »

trouble is he'll sign for pie and a can of coke with either the roosters or broncos....as they always seem to be able to do
To all the people with telekinetic powers...please raise my hand.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

don't care, we can't bust our squad on one guy if he wants overs

Edrick The Entertainer
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

bonehead wrote:580k is good coin. go get that bit extra to play for a junk team

At that price he’s only slightly underpaid in the current environment.

Second rowers don’t command the pay cheque’s of spine players. Yes I definitely want to keep Bateman, but which top tier player are we willing to lose to cover the difference.

And please no one pretend that you can release a player like Horsburgh or Lui and suddenly free up a couple of hundred thousand spare dollars.

Unfortunately you start looking at releasing a Whitehead, Cotric or CNK to create enough money.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

He's a great player.

I wouldn't spend 800k on him.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

He can go back to England and make....

Never mind

Would just be posturing from Moses anyway, if he wasn't his manager when he signed he's after a commission cheque

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk