Discuss music, movies, TV shows and video games

Moderator: GH Moderators

zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Re: The Video Game Thread

Post by zim »

Not sure if anyone else has played Yakuza 0 but this hits you right in the feels. Just want them triple double circles. Vocalist is incredible.

FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

I’ve been taking up the monthly PS4 sales since lockdown. Witcher 3 in February and MotoGP19 in March. MotoGP is tricky as hell, and can’t get my head around it.

This month I’m torn between NBA2k20 and WWE2k20. Both around $20-$30
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Nba2k20 is garbage, the shootings ****

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

WWE it is. Haven’t played one since the old Smackdown vs Raw days
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Not long until cyberpunk is out, might wait until it is out and I hear reviews before getting it, but it’s the game I’ve been anticipating most for 2020
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Sid wrote:Not long until cyberpunk is out, might wait until it is out and I hear reviews before getting it, but it’s the game I’ve been anticipating most for 2020
Same. That and Last of Us 2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nickman's love of NSW
Brewdle
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Love em all

Post by Brewdle »

Sid wrote:Not long until cyberpunk is out, might wait until it is out and I hear reviews before getting it, but it’s the game I’ve been anticipating most for 2020
Think it’s delayed until mid September unfortunately

Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

Cyberpunk? It is indeed delayed, still a good few months away.

An automatic purchase, for me. CD Projekt Red are one of the few good guys of the industry, from them you have little to fear in terms of putting out a Star Wars Battlefront 2, Fallout 76, Anthem, etc.

If you could bet on whether Cyberpunk 2077 would be good or not, it'd be one of the safer bets you could ever make.
Sid
Ricky Stuart

The Video Game Thread

Post by Sid »

Bummer, I thought it was due mid April, but that must be old news. Back to continuing replaying Witcher 3 for me

-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

-TW- wrote:Nba2k20 is garbage, the shootings ****

Probably went off a bit early with this.

I've stuck with it, battled through shooting 0/10 in a few games.. it progressively gets better.

The shooting is a bit inconsistent, but the career mode is strongly built around developing your skills through training and playing, and defender pressure really affects your shots. There's a lot of badges to earn as well

I'm slowly getting better, beauty of this **** is I have a lot of time to waste on it atm

Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

For anybody wondering what PS5 and Xbox Series X are capable of, a tech demo for Unreal Engine 5:

This is the sort of fidelity you'll start seeing later in the generation, I think (if it ever quite gets there in terms of real games that developers make), though it's damned impressive...
Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

I've also been playing NBA 2K20 on Xbox Game Pass, nearly at the end of a full season of My Career. Quite enjoyable; I got quite a lot of the currency you use to upgrade your player for free as part of Xbox Game Pass Ultimate perks, so I was 'competent' pretty much straight away, rather than being a low-stat noob for ages.

I would like to rebuild my character though, it's a bit of con they don't let you tweak that sort of stuff a bit - all to drive microtransaction spending, I bet! Not being a massive basketball guy, I didn't know how a lot of the stats I was messing around with affect how the player works. Statistically, my guy is probably the most capable 3pt shooter in the NBA, but I personally struggle a bit with it due to defensive pressure... in retrospect I should have pumped a lot more of those potential points into things like driving layups.
Brewdle
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Love em all

Post by Brewdle »

I read a few comments on IGN about it being a tech demo and don’t hope for it to be that good in reality, but the point was made that even though it’s a tech demo it’s running on a PS5 so there’s no reason it won’t look that good from the get go. Here’s hoping it’s that good out of the box.

FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

I've been playing WWE2K20, it was $20 last month, and I felt like a fun fighting game. It's not too bad. I've unlocked everything, and now getting hooked into the Universe Mode. Im finding myself not even playing anymore, but watching the PS4 play matches

Nickman's love of NSW
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Anyone here on iracing? Watching all the E races has got me thinking about getting into it.

Just keen to understand price cost, what equipment you’re using etc

Nickman's love of NSW
Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: May 19, 2020, 6:31 pm Anyone here on iracing? Watching all the E races has got me thinking about getting into it.

Not iRacing, but I was playing Project Cars 2 a bit last year on PS4.
Logitech G29 was the standard racing wheel most people have, but I don't think it will be compatible with PS5

There's an Australian forum for sim racing here, I was part of a div 5 racing comp for a season, I think the forum is more aimed at
PC2 and Gran Turismo, but might have some stuff on iRacing

http://raceonoz.com/forums/index.php

been watching the Wednesday night e-series on and off

Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

I've just started getting hooked on Civilization VI.

I haven't played the previous 5 games in the series, so it's all new to me. I think it will be more fun once I learn more of it

FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Sid wrote: May 20, 2020, 8:34 am
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: May 19, 2020, 6:31 pm Anyone here on iracing? Watching all the E races has got me thinking about getting into it.

Logitech G29 was the standard racing wheel most people have, but I don't think it will be compatible with PS5

There's an Australian forum for sim racing here, I was part of a div 5 racing comp for a season, I think the forum is more aimed at

Yeah I had Project Cars, but traded it recently. Now Im regretting it, so I might get Project Cars 2. Might be an idea to get the Steering Wheel and see how I go there before committing to iracing.

It looks pretty interesting. If Im understanding the cost structure correctly, it's $11 a month, and you get a standard set of cars and tracks. It's then around $15 per car and track to unlock. $1,000 is the standard price to unlock everything, which sounds like a lot, but the advice is that people typically don't race every car on every track, so find what interests you and unlock those first.

Nickman's love of NSW
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Sid wrote: May 20, 2020, 8:46 am I've just started getting hooked on Civilization VI.

I haven't played the previous 5 games in the series, so it's all new to me. I think it will be more fun once I learn more of it
I found Civ VI more game-like compared to earlier versions. Similar strategy but faster paced. Even though its a strategy game these refinements are a good thing IMO. You can complete a game in a reasonable timeframe now.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

Northern Raider wrote: May 20, 2020, 11:27 am
Sid wrote: May 20, 2020, 8:46 am I've just started getting hooked on Civilization VI.

I found Civ VI more game-like compared to earlier versions. Similar strategy but faster paced. Even though its a strategy game these refinements are a good thing IMO. You can complete a game in a reasonable timeframe now.
Each game seems to go on for a long time, but part of that would be me still learning. I've completed 2 games so far (lost 1, won 1) but have started and not finished several others since part way through the game I learn something massive and made a big oversight. There have been decent Youtube tutorials for Civ VI, so they've helped.

Australia were fun to play as, I might try as Rome of Scythia next.. might bump it up from the easiest difficulty too lol

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Sid wrote: May 20, 2020, 12:16 pm

Each game seems to go on for a long time, but part of that would be me still learning. I've completed 2 games so far (lost 1, won 1) but have started and not finished several others since part way through the game I learn something massive and made a big oversight. There have been decent Youtube tutorials for Civ VI, so they've helped.

Australia were fun to play as, I might try as Rome of Scythia next.. might bump it up from the easiest difficulty too lol
Once you know what you're doing you need to crank it up a couple of levels. Way too easy on the beginner level. You almost have to be trying to lose.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

Northern Raider wrote: May 20, 2020, 12:36 pm

Once you know what you're doing you need to crank it up a couple of levels. Way too easy on the beginner level. You almost have to be trying to lose.
The first game I lost due to religious victory because I had ignored religion altogether. Pretty much steamrolled everyone last game though and I know a lot more now, so it is time to go up a level or 2.

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Sid wrote: May 20, 2020, 3:18 pm
Northern Raider wrote: May 20, 2020, 12:36 pm

The first game I lost due to religious victory because I had ignored religion altogether. Pretty much steamrolled everyone last game though and I know a lot more now, so it is time to go up a level or 2.
Yeah, level 1 is good to learn how to play but thats it. Even level 2 you'll find victory will come as long as you keep ticking the right boxes. Need to step up to the mid levels if you want any kind of challenge.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

i was HARD into previous CIV IV, ol Nickman got me into it
Tremendous game. Havent touched it in years

I dont have much time for console game, it feels like a real barrier that ill have to avoid until my son is ready for it, but im heavy in marvel contest of champions on my phone... its a great game
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Seriously, who is this Nickman people keep mentioning?
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Botman wrote:i was HARD into previous CIV IV, ol Nickman got me into it

I dont have much time for console game, it feels like a real barrier that ill have to avoid until my son is ready for it, but im heavy in marvel contest of champions on my phone... its a great game
I play Contest of Champions! You in a group?
My consoling has gone up during Covid. On the weekends I have a routine where I feed the dogs at 6:30, then PlayStation away until Mrs Fui wakes up. Now it’s the same, only I play until work starts

Nickman's love of NSW
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: May 21, 2020, 10:12 pm

Yeah i recently left an alliance that was Plat2/Tier 2. It was too stressful :lol:
Nocko-x7 hit me up in game Fui!
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:
Sid wrote: May 20, 2020, 8:34 am

Yeah I had Project Cars, but traded it recently. Now Im regretting it, so I might get Project Cars 2. Might be an idea to get the Steering Wheel and see how I go there before committing to iracing.

It looks pretty interesting. If Im understanding the cost structure correctly, it's $11 a month, and you get a standard set of cars and tracks. It's then around $15 per car and track to unlock. $1,000 is the standard price to unlock everything, which sounds like a lot, but the advice is that people typically don't race every car on every track, so find what interests you and unlock those first.
I've been hammering project cars 2 on Xbox One

The online component is a bit limited as the game is 3 years old now, but it's good for single player.

I've got a Thrustmaster tmx pro wheel, cost me $370 off eBay. It's a good starter wheel once you get your settings right.

I've been doing consistent 2.05s at Bathurst with no assists, wouldn't even get close to that with a controller

I'd love to do iRacing but my laptop is too old, and not overally keen to drop another $700 on something I'd literally use just to game on

-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Also looks like 2K has taken over the PGA franchise, with PGA 2k21 due in August

Similar career model to NBA by the looks of it

FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Botman wrote: May 22, 2020, 9:06 am
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: May 21, 2020, 10:12 pm

Yeah i recently left an alliance that was Plat2/Tier 2. It was too stressful :lol:
Nocko-x7 hit me up in game Fui!
Yeah same, it was getting too full on, and I went from playing daily to just on Fridays during breaks working from home, so I kept getting cut. Im in one now, but they don't do anything haha

Nickman's love of NSW
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

i play it at night mostly when the kids are in bed or during breaks at work... If you want you can come and join my alt accounts group, i wont kick ya :P
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Deal I’ll join your crew. Send me the deets!

Nickman's love of NSW
Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

So with my improved knowledge of how the player attributes work in NBA 2K20, I built a new character in the test-lab-thing and played a game at 99 overall... it was an absolute blitz, super-fast SG slasher scoring something like 50 points solo.

The glimpse of what could be is tempting enough to make me go back and start again in noob-town.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Noob town is a massive grind

They've also taken away the setting where you can change the length of the Sim games to match yours (so if you play 5min qtrs so do they)

So if you want to be in contention for the awards you have to play 12 min qtrs, which is a drag

Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

Is the amount of VC you get for 12min qtrs appropriate for the extra time it takes? I've just been playing 5mins.

I don't particularly care about the awards, though if they're not paying you 2.4x the amount of VC for 2.4x the amount of playtime - that's a bit of a ripoff.