JJ Collins departs Canberra Raiders

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders forward JJ Collins has made the toughest decision of his young NRL career, with the forward to depart the Raiders and return home to Queensland with his young family. Collins, 24, has been forced to put his NRL career on hold due to the recent NRL shutdown as a consequence of the reduced NRL season.

“My partner and I have just had our first son and it although it was a tough decision, it was one that had to be made,” Collins said. “I’m really gutted to be leaving the club, they welcomed me last year when I first arrived, and I have nothing but respect for the staff and playing group.

Read more: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2020/05 ... t-raiders/
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Re: JJ Collins departs Canberra Raiders

Post by -TW- »

Clearing the decks?

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Post by Raider47 »

Bateman, Murchie and Collins all gone in one week. Better hope we have no injured forwards...

Oh wait...

Should any forward get injured, who would be even be next called upon considering Bateman and Young are still out? Sutton, then whom?
Kermit
John Ferguson

Post by Kermit »

Surely has to be down to NSW Cup being limited in games and pay cuts.

Totally understand these fringe first graders leaving if that’s the case.

Who’s next?!
Golden Boogs Winner 2006 - Best Newcomer
Golden Boogs Winner 2008 - Best Couple

"Nobody's looked better in the Lime Green except maybe Kermit the Frog..." - Reg Reagan.

"this is just Groundhog Day for the Raiders" (Laurie Daley 2/6/12 on 40-0 defeat to Wests)
UncleDrew
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Aidan Sezer

Post by UncleDrew »

Sad to see JJ go... reckon we will end up with Kane Evans to be honest
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

If the players are on minimum or close to... and they’re taking a 20 per cent pay cut... they’re taking a much bigger pay cut for the remainder of the year. Tough times, especially if you have a family to support. Sad times.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Same situation as Bateman. The current environment is extremely difficult for these guys further down the depth chart. They have to make similar sacrifices to the top squad but are suffering a bigger financial impact with little chance at actually playing any games. I would think all clubs will have guys in similar positions.

Of course there's no reason they can't be re-signed if a position comes available due to injuries, suspension etc.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Tough situation for these guys who have put years into the game. They could come back but meanwhile others will be getting a chance to establish themselves.
Velda
Ken Nagas
Favourite Player: Terry Campese

Post by Velda »

I would be more concerned about James Hoopers article about John Bateman’s repeated requests to leave!!!
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past: Daley
Present: Strange

Post by Dusty »

That makes me physically ill

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Why Canberra Raiders forward JJ Collins had to leave the NRL

JJ Collins is a reminder there is more to life than football.

"If it was just my partner and I, we would have stayed, but having a young family I had to make the tough decision to put footy on the back burner and my family first, and to provide for them I guess is my main thing in life at the moment.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

Club statement: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2020/05 ... t-raiders/
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

This is sad. I hope he comes home one day, I liked him.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

raiderskater wrote: May 22, 2020, 6:58 pm This is sad. I hope he comes home one day, I liked him.
He seemed like a decent guy, but the reality is he wasn't in Ricky's plans. Played one game last year and got a few mins and then was in the team for the last game against the Warriors and even though we were focused on the next week, he didn't get any minutes.

The problem with these guys is they really don't get any chance to show the coaches they are in good form because they will be playing scratch games at best.

I think Murchie will play first grade for the Warriors and that was probably going to happen earlier if not for Covid, but I don't know if there are Luke Bateman and Collins type examples in all clubs.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Why are all these decisions being made a week before the season re-starts? It's really odd.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Seiffert82 wrote: May 23, 2020, 6:36 am Why are all these decisions being made a week before the season re-starts? It's really odd.
Not that odd when you think about it. Weren’t the players getting paid in full in April? When they really only had the same restrictions the rest of us had?

Now things are starting to open up, but for NRL players they are getting more strict. They have probably received their May pay packet and things are looking a bit grim. Potentially they are now being offered civilian jobs that couldn’t be offered a month ago.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

It makes sense to me too. These players weren’t going to walk away while they were sitting at home doing nothing.

Now bloke like Collins have come back in and been flogged fitness wise for 2/3 weeks. They are only getting a % of their normal wage and they know they have virtually no chance of actually playing any football all season. A lot of athletes say they like training but none of them would do it if it wasn’t for the actual end event.

It must be a very worrying time for all the fringe first graders and squad fillers that have contracts finishing this season. There’s a big chance rugby league will pass a lot of them by and forget about them. Teams will be incentivized to look after all the young blokes who missed out on Flagg and these sorts of fellas will be left out in the cold IMO.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
GMGT
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Johnny Bateman

Post by GMGT »

UncleDrew wrote: May 22, 2020, 11:43 am Sad to see JJ go... reckon we will end up with Kane Evans to be honest
:shock: Did you just make that up In your dreams?
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Bay53 wrote: May 23, 2020, 7:00 am
Seiffert82 wrote: May 23, 2020, 6:36 am Why are all these decisions being made a week before the season re-starts? It's really odd.
Not that odd when you think about it. Weren’t the players getting paid in full in April? When they really only had the same restrictions the rest of us had?

Now things are starting to open up, but for NRL players they are getting more strict. They have probably received their May pay packet and things are looking a bit grim. Potentially they are now being offered civilian jobs that couldn’t be offered a month ago.
Yeah, probably. I haven't really been keeping track to be honest. Seems odd to be on full pay while the season is suspended, but come back to part pay when it resumes.

Anyway, I'm sure it makes sense to somebody.

It always makes sense to earn more money elsewhere, especially if your body isn't getting hammered in the process. Doesn't seem to be a particularly strong job market out there though. :doubt: