Discuss all the events of the day

Moderator: GH Moderators

bonehead
Laurie Daley

Re: Coronavirus

Post by bonehead »

Northern Raider wrote:
gangrenous wrote: May 16, 2020, 5:46 pm
greeneyed wrote: Earlier this week, I veered off the path in the park, onto the grass, to let an older woman, walking in the opposite direction in the middle of the path to pass. She yells at me... “I don’t have the plague you know!” She was actually cranky with me for giving her more space.
Why did you leave off the end of the story where you clapped back “yeah but your breath smells like cat food ya old bag!”?
Because GE was out walking his cats.
why did he need to veer a helicopter anyway

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

You can't take a helicopter to the park

He veered his palanquin
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Dr Zaius wrote:You can't take a helicopter to the park

He veered his palanquin
I thought he always walked the cats from the helicopter, there you go always learning

Edrick The Entertainer
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

No just the albatrosses from the helicopter
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Remember that time before he’d perfected the Albatross leashes? Terribly sad day that one. GE’s butler was scrubbing the helicopter until well after dark.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

gangrenous wrote: May 17, 2020, 4:47 pm Remember that time before he’d perfected the Albatross leashes? Terribly sad day that one. GE’s butler was scrubbing the helicopter until well after dark.
:roflmao :roflmao :roflmao
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Dr Zaius wrote: May 17, 2020, 8:07 pm Check out this conspiracy theory
https://u.osu.edu/vanzandt/2019/02/14/t ... a-is-fake/
I’ve been to Finland, and I could believe it didn’t exist. But I’m sure Australia exists.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

greeneyed wrote: May 17, 2020, 8:37 pm
I’ve been to Finland, and I could believe it didn’t exist. But I’m sure Australia exists.
That's exactly what they want you to believe. Personally I've always had my doubts about that place.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

greeneyed wrote:
Maybe it's not. Maybe we're not real! Image

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Is that the US version of Beetoota?

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

As you travel from Russia to Finland, the difference in toilet cleanliness is simply too much to fake.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

This is a fantastic video which explains the app

Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

China saying they'll support a probe into COVID once it's under control.

I must admit, it's a pleasant surprise to see something other than belligerent obfuscation, even if it may only be lip service due to the 110+ countries on 'the other side'. Here's hoping that when push comes to shove, they're transparent and fully cooperative, in the best interests of the world.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

greeneyed wrote: May 16, 2020, 1:19 pm On my daily walk, I never cease to be amazed at how people lack self awareness. Everyone is being told to social distance, keep 1.5 metres away from each other, right? Across from my place, there’s a small bridge over the creek which runs through the park. It’s narrow, you’d brush up against another person crossing in the opposite direction, or close to. I always let people cross by themselves if they’re coming in the opposite direction. Today two people are just standing on the bridge, watching their kids play on the banks of the creek. I stop to wait until they move on. They gesture to me to walk past them on the bridge. I say, “people can’t really cross if you’re standing on the bridge”. They move off it, just, while giving me a filthy look.

Earlier this week, I veered off the path in the park, onto the grass, to let an older woman, walking in the opposite direction in the middle of the path to pass. She yells at me... “I don’t have the plague you know!” She was actually cranky with me for giving her more space.

There are regularly people who are walking in groups, three or four across, taking up the entire width of some very wide pathways down on the lake. Is it so hard to keep left?

I know the risks are low, given contact is limited... but here’s a question for Dr Zaius... am I being too careful?
You are almost always the perfect gentleman GE, considerate of others. (I leave out State of Origin time when the maroon haze descends upon you with its intoxicating madness).

Should a little old lady again say to you 'I don't have the plague you know' reply "I'm just off to be tested". The test could be about taking one minute off your best time for your walk by speeding up your stride. She is not to know. But the implication ...
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

Problem is she wouldn’t necessarily know if she’s infected unless she’s been tested, saw an article about a lady screaming that same **** at people and unbeknown to her she was asymptomatic at the time and began showing symptoms a couple of days later.
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

State border closure issue has raised some hackles and the NSW state treasurer has come up with classic which I will paraphrase:

'Only in Qld do you have a State Government which wants to offer hundreds of millions of dollars to buy an airline whilst at the same time closing the borders so that planes can't fly.'
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

RedRaider wrote: May 22, 2020, 3:49 pm State border closure issue has raised some hackles and the NSW state treasurer has come up with classic which I will paraphrase:

'Only in Qld do you have a State Government which wants to offer hundreds of millions of dollars to buy an airline whilst at the same time closing the borders so that planes can't fly.'
The position is getting a few noses out of joint in QLD too. The state has suffered as bad as any with the hit to tourism. Denying them southern tourist during the winter holidays would be a tough pill to swallow.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Are people seriously all clambering to jump in planes together to Queensland?

If they are close the gate again after they’re in...
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

gangrenous wrote: May 22, 2020, 7:09 pm Are people seriously all clambering to jump in planes together to Queensland?

If they are close the gate again after they’re in...
Well, no they're not. Borders are closed. ;)
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Any office workers pondering life post-covid? I’ve been thinking about it the last few weeks, and whether I need to re-think my work/life balance... as wanky as that sounds.

For me, I get up at 6:15, out the door at 6:30 to catch a 7am train to get into Wynyard at 8. Then I leave work at 4 to get home at 5:30.

I could potentially WFH more, work 7 - 5, and get a 4 day week
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: May 25, 2020, 7:28 pm Any office workers pondering life post-covid? I’ve been thinking about it the last few weeks, and whether I need to re-think my work/life balance... as wanky as that sounds.

For me, I get up at 6:15, out the door at 6:30 to catch a 7am train to get into Wynyard at 8. Then I leave work at 4 to get home at 5:30.

I could potentially WFH more, work 7 - 5, and get a 4 day week
I’d imagine there’s a big chance of a huge part of the industry realizing they could save money moving forward doing this. I’d imagine wages in those industries/companies could fall though with it.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

I think a lot of office based employers have conceded it will be basically impossible for some employees to return now they've made a nest at home.

I'll eagerly await for someone to take their employer to fair work cause they've been threatened with dismissal if they don't return, only to turn around and prove they're just as, if not more productive at home.

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Coronavirus

I’m feeling more productive. As someone more introverted, I’ve felt I have more time to knuckle down in my own space without the distractions that come in hot desked open office spaces.

We’ve already been told there’s going to be some significant changes to our office layouts when we go back. The days of the funky Google office layouts are done
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Fui, I reckon the hot desk days will be gone. We now understand how even flu can be spread by their use. Productivity declines when people are sick. Good riddance.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

RedRaider wrote:Fui, I reckon the hot desk days will be gone. We now understand how even flu can be spread by their use. Productivity declines when people are sick. Good riddance.
I hope so! I’ve hated the concept ever since it was rolled out. What’s slightly funny is 2 years ago we moved offices. As part of the move, they got these consultants in to guy the place and redo the floor plan. I was part of the working group to help flesh out what we wanted. They kept pushing hard the Google philosophy, and pushed for open spaces, and replacing meeting rooms with open discussion areas. We kept shooting the ideas down, saying they won’t work and we won’t get the buy in. They persisted and we got the Google inspired office.

Ever since, there’s been complaints of not having enough closed meeting rooms, not enough desks (10 people per 6 desks) and the floors are too noisy.

Nickman's love of NSW
rolhai
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Shaun Fensom

Post by rolhai »

RedRaider wrote:Fui, I reckon the hot desk days will be gone. We now understand how even flu can be spread by their use. Productivity declines when people are sick. Good riddance.
Current thinking in the office furniture industry is that you'll fit half the number of people in the same amount of office space to keep social distancing guidelines in tact.
If anything is brought in by govt it'll be along the lines of: Any hot desking will need to be thoroughly wiped down after every use and all desks will need to be done daily. Dividing Screens to be about 700mm above desk level and either antibacterial or easily wipeable.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

1985/86: The last time we missed consecutive finals series.....Until STICKY
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

Interesting visual of the leading cause of deaths for 2020

https://public.flourish.studio/visualisation/2562261/
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

rolhai wrote: May 26, 2020, 7:04 pm
Current thinking in the office furniture industry is that you'll fit half the number of people in the same amount of office space to keep social distancing guidelines in tact.
If anything is brought in by govt it'll be along the lines of: Any hot desking will need to be thoroughly wiped down after every use and all desks will need to be done daily. Dividing Screens to be about 700mm above desk level and either antibacterial or easily wipeable.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk
Now that's an employment opportunity - Think movie Coming to America and the double hand CLAP followed by the command "Wipers!"
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Well worth a read. The extraordinary cooperation between both sides of politics, federal and state governments, and private enterprise that ultimately saw such a successful response to the pandemic.

Part 1
https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal ... 550hl.html

Part 2
https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal ... 550tn.html
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

I said at the beginning of the crisis here, that this would end Morrison..... how wrong I am!

Amazing how we’ve managed to pretty much beat this thing, that has deadset taken over other countries.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Being an island and closing the borders relatively early worked in our favour

People fear a second wave but I really can't see it, unless we let free international travel which they've already said no to, other than NZ

Confirmed community transmission is about 8.4% of cases, mostly in Sydney and Melbourne.

With apparently how **** this thing makes you feel you'd think most people would get tested

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Doctors are testing anyone that rocks up with the sniffles, or at least they should be.

The danger is complacency and not getting tested, coupled with the disincentives of being tested, that is potential isolation.

But the real danger is that the borders have to open eventually. Fingers crossed for a vaccine.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Between this and the fires.... I really should shutdown my Facebook account. Moronic people calling the Covid lockdown a conjob so the wealthiest people in the world can get wealthier. Funnily enough they also seem to be antivaxxers.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017