Canberra Raiders 2020 revised draw

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Canberra Raiders 2020 NRL draw

Post by greeneyed »

2020 NRL draw for Round 3 and 4 to be released tomorrow

The NRL draw is set to be revealed on Friday - but only the first two rounds. The Daily Telegraph reports that the draw will be made public, with the rest of the fixture list to be agreed over the following week.

The Roosters-Rabbitohs rivalry has been tipped to kick off the relaunched season. Monday night football, meanwhile, will not return, Peter V’landys told the Telegraph.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... c2f10e2063
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders set to learn fate as NRL prepares to unveil draw

The Canberra Raiders are poised to learn their fate on Friday as the NRL prepares to unveil the next two rounds of its revamped fixture as officials close in on a new broadcast deal.

"They've got various models at the moment but it's important to note that can't be finalised until the broadcasting deal is agreed with both Channel Nine and Fox Sports," Don Furner said. "Because of the way the contract is written, they get certain picks. Until that is agreed, we won't get a draw. We are hoping it will be mid to late next week, that's the NRL's aim.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

VODCAST: Raiders CEO Don Furner provides an update on the resumption of the NRL season: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2020/05 ... on-furner/

https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode?id=652555

VIDEO: Furner says critics will eat humble pie when NRL returns: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/05/14/bai ... l-returns/

VODCAST: On this week's episode of Let's Talk, Canberra Raiders Head of Physical Performance Nigel Ashley-Jones speaks about how the team have been preparing physically for the resumption of the NRL competition due to the Covid-19 Pandemic: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2020/05 ... ley-jones/

Greeneyed NRL fans challenge Canberra Raiders in five-kilometre time trial: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Clubs were told by the NRL on Thursday they will be allocated a home venue for the remainder of the season. That could change if restrictions on crowd numbers ease.

Western Sydney Stadium will be one venue while Kogarah Jubilee Stadium was also being considered. Queensland teams are expected to be cleared to play at their respective home grounds while Newcastle and Canberra are likely to have to travel to Sydney for their matches: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... d8ddedb5c5
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

There is no reason why Canberra Stadium should not be a home venue... if the Queensland clubs are playing at home.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

greeneyed wrote: May 15, 2020, 10:02 am There is no reason why Canberra Stadium should not be a home venue... if the Queensland clubs are playing at home.
yeah that makes minimal sense if queensland clubs dont have to operate out of one stadium. gio is right to go
Dont delete this GE
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

Imagine going down to Canberra in the middle of Winter with no crowd for an opposition Team...how miserable for them.

Shame it won’t happen

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
In Ricky We Trust
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The Canberra Raiders will face the Melbourne Storm in Round 3 and the Newcastle Knights in Round 4 of the revised 2020 draw. Venues are yet to be allocated for each game, however, it is confirmed NRL matches will be held across NSW and Queensland. The remainder of the revised draw is expected to be announced next week.

NRL Premiership to make blockbuster return

The return of the NRL Premiership will be headlined by rugby league’s oldest rivalry and a series of blockbuster match-ups after the National Rugby League (NRL) today released Rounds 3 and 4 of the competition.

The NRL said the first two rounds of the season resumption are designed to give fans as much drama and excitement as possible, creating the ultimate entertainment experience.

NRL acting CEO Andrew Abdo said May 28 will herald the return of Australia’s most watched sport.

“After a period of uncertainty and unprecedented co-operation by a wide range of stakeholders, we are proud and excited to announce rounds 3 and 4 of the Telstra NRL Premiership,” Mr Abdo said.

“These rounds provide our fans and partners with on-field rivalry and blockbuster entertainment. Combined with the proposed rule changes, the 2020 season will be faster and more unpredictable than ever before.”

The highlights of the next two rounds include:

May 28 with the Brisbane Broncos V Parramatta Eels in Hisense Thursday Night Football. It will be the first time the two sides have met since the Eels knocked the Broncos out of last year’s finals series.

Friday night football returns with rugby league’s oldest rivalry between the Sydney Roosters and the South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Super Saturday will be headlined with the Melbourne Storm v Canberra Raiders, the first time the two sides have met since the Raiders ended the Storm’s 2019 Premiership quest.

Sunday Football will begin with the unbeaten Penrith Panthers and Newcastle Knights aiming for a hat-trick of wins.

Mr Abdo said the full season schedule will be released next week.

“Today we have released the next two rounds of the draw to provide certainty for clubs, coaches and players so they can plan for the coming weeks. We are currently finalising the full draw with our broadcast partners and key stakeholders,’’ he said.

“I want to acknowledge and thank our chairman, Peter V’landys, and the entire Commission for their strong leadership and determination to get the game back. I also want to thank our broadcast partners and sponsors for their continued support. Of course we would not be on the verge of returning next week had it not been for the sacrifices and commitment of the 16 NRL clubs and our athletes, who have adopted our stringent biosecurity protocols in order to make this possible.

“Rugby league is so important to so many people. We hope that the football resuming will bring some positivity and excitement back to our fans and the wider community.”

NRL media release

Rivalries and intrigue headline round three draw for NRL restart: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/05/15/riv ... l-restart/
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Re: Canberra Raiders 2020 revised draw

Post by Sid »

I wasn't expecting "Rivalry Round" to come around again so quickly

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Organised Chaos
Dean Lance
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Organised Chaos »

That would be the knights round 4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Donkeys..2 straight Thursdays..normal transmission has been resumed..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Horace Dove-Edwin
Dean Lance
Favourite Player: Chicka Ferguson

Post by Horace Dove-Edwin »

Really keen to see where these games will be played. Away from AAMI Park might work in our favour.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Horace Dove-Edwin wrote: May 15, 2020, 2:03 pm Really keen to see where these games will be played. Away from AAMI Park might work in our favour.
Definitely away from Melbourne...

Hard game for us. But might get a bit more of a mix of hard and easy games than in the original draw. Had an easy start and a difficult run to the finals.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Melbourne Storm will be a very tough start. They always start well after a break.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Storm by 37.

Raiders to win the comp though.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

We have two teams, Storm and Knights, who are currently in the top 8 after 2 rounds of the comp. Good. I want us as focused as possible. Every Club knows the Storm will have done the work to make it a hard game. The new look Knights had also started well being the best attacking side in the comp. I can't wait to have some footy back.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders could play Melbourne Storm in Melbourne in Round 3

The Canberra Raiders could play the Melbourne Storm in Melbourne when they resume their recent rivalry when the NRL resumes for round three. They will play the Storm on May 30 at 7.35pm and will then face the Newcastle Knights the following week on June 7 at 4.05pm.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14280

That seems to be inconsistent with the report on NRL.com which states games will be played in venues in NSW and Queensland, though it is a Melbourne "home" game:
Venues are yet to be allocated for each game, however, it is confirmed matches will be held across NSW and Queensland.

A "home" team will be given for each match with no double headers or venue clashes expected on each game day.

Where the Broncos, Cowboys or Titans are listed as the home team for a match, the game will be played at a venue in Queensland, with the remaining games for that round played in NSW.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/05/15/riv ... l-restart/
IBG
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by IBG »

Very tough start, but I'm happy with that.

Bellamy has never lost a Round 1 game, which really, this is.

Storm are known for the wrestle and holding down so we could use this to our advantage as the refs look to stamp their authority on this new six again rule.

And we are a very offensive momentum team.

I like them first up. Let's go.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

-PJ- wrote: May 15, 2020, 1:39 pm Donkeys..2 straight Thursdays..normal transmission has been resumed..
ugh, all this time away from rugby and now I have to wait yet another day to watch a semi-decent match.

When is the next broadcast deal?
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
IBG
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by IBG »

You know what they've also done which no one has picked up on, which is clever from a 'close competition' point of view and will shut up those saying the competition points need to be wiped.

All the undefeated teams are playing each other in the first week:

Broncos vs Eels
Raiders vs Storm
Panthers vs Knights

Then in round 4 have super tough games for them:

Sea Eagles vs Eels
Broncos vs Roosters
Raiders vs Knights
Storm vs Rabbitohs
Panthers vs Warriors (ok maybe not but remember Cleary is out and they'll probably lose to the Knights in Round 3 anyway)

So that it will be very hard to have an undefeated team by the end of round 4.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

greeneyed wrote:Canberra Raiders could play Melbourne Storm in Melbourne in Round 3

The Canberra Raiders could play the Melbourne Storm in Melbourne when they resume their recent rivalry when the NRL resumes for round three. They will play the Storm on May 30 at 7.35pm and will then face the Newcastle Knights the following week on June 7 at 4.05pm.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14280

That seems to be inconsistent with the report on NRL.com which states games will be played in venues in NSW and Queensland, though it is a Melbourne "home" game:
Venues are yet to be allocated for each game, however, it is confirmed matches will be held across NSW and Queensland.

A "home" team will be given for each match with no double headers or venue clashes expected on each game day.

Where the Broncos, Cowboys or Titans are listed as the home team for a match, the game will be played at a venue in Queensland, with the remaining games for that round played in NSW.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/05/15/riv ... l-restart/
I raised the issue of home ground advantage a few weeks back and nobody seemed too bothered by what was being proposed. Wouldn't surprise me at all to see the Broncos playing every single game at home, on a Thursday or Friday night. Or close to every game.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk
Shoving it in your face since 2017
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

gergreg wrote: May 15, 2020, 5:00 pm I raised the issue of home ground advantage a few weeks back and nobody seemed too bothered by what was being proposed. Wouldn't surprise me at all to see the Broncos playing every single game at home, on a Thursday or Friday night. Or close to every game.

I would be bothered by that. The issue won't be the crowds, the issue will be the differences in travel.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Sid wrote:
-PJ- wrote: May 15, 2020, 1:39 pm Donkeys..2 straight Thursdays..normal transmission has been resumed..
ugh, all this time away from rugby and now I have to wait yet another day to watch a semi-decent match.

When is the next broadcast deal?
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

IBG wrote:You know what they've also done which no one has picked up on, which is clever from a 'close competition' point of view and will shut up those saying the competition points need to be wiped.

All the undefeated teams are playing each other in the first week:

Broncos vs Eels
Raiders vs Storm
Panthers vs Knights

Then in round 4 have super tough games for them:

Sea Eagles vs Eels
Broncos vs Roosters
Raiders vs Knights
Storm vs Rabbitohs
Panthers vs Warriors (ok maybe not but remember Cleary is out and they'll probably lose to the Knights in Round 3 anyway)

So that it will be very hard to have an undefeated team by the end of round 4.
Nice spot
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Ricky Stuart interview on Fox League Live:

Happy with Raiders V Storm first up? Happy to get back.

Don't expect John Bateman will be available for Round 3.

One or two referees. Doesn't really matter if I support one or other. We're at a critical time in the history of the game. It's our responsibility to jump on board with whatever decision they make. We've got a season to start in two weeks time. We're lucky to have the game back.

It's really important that we get the peripherals around the one referee right now, the touch judges, the "spotter" in the bunker, and their communication to the referee on field.

The coaches have their own agendas, I understand that, our clubs' interests are first for us. We're the ones who get sacked. But I believe we now have a responsibility to put on a more attractive style of football.

George Williams. He doesn't have to run the side. We're fortunate we have a very dominant No. 9 who controls a lot of our ruck. I'm very happy to have two runners as my halves. I will play to their strengths, I don't try to base their game on other half backs. I want them to be Jack Wighton and George Williams and I'm very happy with their style of play.

Criticism of refereeing errors? Will the coaches stop it? To be honest, I'm the last bloke who should tell others to keep their mouth shut after a game. Straight after the game it is emotional. There will inevitably be some explosions. But if we get the refereeing of the ruck right, we have an opportunity to improve the game. I want to open the game up, see the ability of the players we have in the game. I also love the big hits, the big tackles too. But we don't see a lot of that these days, we should bring some contact back. All we see these days is players standing in tackles and wrestling.

Six again rule? I second efforts, the hands on the ball, the stuff that is ugly to watch. Hopefully we get less of it. Is "six again" triggering for you? Very triggering!

Change in rules in the middle of the season? It's happened before. We changed the interchange in the middle of the 1991 season.

Storm in Round 3 and Knights in Round 4. Avoids a game in Queensland. If you have to, will you be prepared to go without the three players who've declined their flu shots. Whatever way they go, I'll support them. If it comes to it, I'll have blokes who will be happy to have their spot.

Canberra's home games... may be played in Campbelltown in the short term. Our stadium is wonderful and should be opened up. I'd like to think after six or eight weeks we can play in Canberra.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders could play Melbourne Storm in Melbourne when NRL resumes

The Canberra Raiders could play the Melbourne Storm in Melbourne when the NRL resumes for round three. Raiders chief executive Don Furner was unsure when games would be played in the ACT, but said they would push for a return to Canberra Stadium when the second block of games were announced.

"Some of those teams we might play twice. For example, we might play Melbourne twice," Furner said. "We would expect to be playing them here in Canberra by then. We understand the first block of games will be Sydney and Brisbane ... but we will be pushing hard for the next block to get home games.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

No interest in Brisbane Broncos bleating about playing NRL games in Sydney: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

Ricky Stuart reveals Canberra’s new ‘home’ ground as Raiders face prospect of playing outside ACT

Ricky Stuart has revealed his side will likely play home games in Campbelltown once the NRL season resume.

“I think our home games may be, for the short term, played at the Campbelltown Stadium. But I know our stadium here is ready to go, it’s a wonderful stadium, it should be opened up and we should be allowed to play here just as they are playing in Melbourne, Queensland and a couple of stadiums in Sydney. I know the ACT government are ready to go in opening up our stadium, too. I’d like to think after six to eight weeks we’d be playing here.”

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 29f6e72639

Melbourne Storm haven't given up hope of playing their round three NRL season relaunch at their home ground: https://7news.com.au/sport/rugby-league ... -c-1040390
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

Oh, I wouldn't mind playing them at AAMI Park. Our recent form there is very good. ;)

I feel like this is a big opportunity for us. Come out all guns blazing, kick Storm butt, and stamp our authority on this premiership.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I am struggling to see why the NRL would prefer us to play our home games at Campbelltown Stadium, rather than Canberra Stadium.

The media reports at the moment have Townsville Stadium, Lang Park, maybe Robina, Central Coast Stadium, Western Sydney Stadium and Kogarah Jubilee Stadium as possible grounds. Now we're also talking Melbourne Rectangular Stadium and Campbelltown Stadium. That's a LOT of venues. I don't see the cost saving in having as many grounds as this.

At this rate, we could be the only non-Sydney team not being able to play home games locally. At least Campbelltown takes half an hour off the travel, I guess.
Lucky
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Lucky »

Dammit, a first up game against the cheating purple pricks.... was hoping we could ease back into it with an easy game....not 1 where we have a 30% winning record against.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

raiderskater wrote: May 15, 2020, 7:31 pm Oh, I wouldn't mind playing them at AAMI Park. Our recent form there is very good. ;)

I feel like this is a big opportunity for us. Come out all guns blazing, kick Storm butt, and stamp our authority on this premiership.
I like this attitude and approach. I also think the same way - tough game, but let's lay down a marker early on in the season as the team to beat, and deal with that pressure. We need to watch Vunivalu as he always scores against us - I remember the terrible start to the AAMI game and the round 2 game at GIO game. Addo Carr will have something to prove after is camping antics as well as dropping that ball in the semi. Very consistent side and we cannot get into a grinding game with them or we lose. We need to surprise them and attack in an unstructured way. Smith, Munster, the two Bromwich brothers, Finucane, Olam and Papen will be hard nuts to crack. Curtis Scott has a point to prove and we need Josh Hodgson, Jack, George Williams and Papa on form
Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Post by Raider47 »

How on earth is there talk that Melbourne will be able to hold home games yet here we are in Canberra, with no reported cases in 2 weeks, being forced to play in Campbelltown?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Raider47 wrote: May 16, 2020, 8:58 am How on earth is there talk that Melbourne will be able to hold home games yet here we are in Canberra, with no reported cases in 2 weeks, being forced to play in Campbelltown?
It’s difficult to see why, given the large number of grounds reportedly set to be used.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

Raider47 wrote: May 16, 2020, 8:58 am How on earth is there talk that Melbourne will be able to hold home games yet here we are in Canberra, with no reported cases in 2 weeks, being forced to play in Campbelltown?
It makes absolutely no sense.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

So, has it gone from 'using 1 stadium in Sydney, and 1 in Queensland' to every single stadium except Canberra and Auckland?

Shoving it in your face since 2017
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

gergreg wrote: May 16, 2020, 11:04 am So, has it gone from 'using 1 stadium in Sydney, and 1 in Queensland' to every single stadium except Canberra and Auckland?

Seems so. To be fair... they were saying two in Sydney!
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

gergreg wrote: May 16, 2020, 11:04 am So, has it gone from 'using 1 stadium in Sydney, and 1 in Queensland' to every single stadium except Canberra and Auckland?

:hmmm