Health and fitness

The social club of The Greenhouse

Moderator: GH Moderators

How healthy and happy are you?

Super healthy = Could trial for the Raiders
6%
Moderately healthy = I've got a six pack or at least I am trying to
34%
Slightly healthy = I eat junk and healthy stuff but I do walk (sometimes)
28%
Unhealthy = The only six pack I've got is for drinking
28%
Extremely unhealthy = Just don't ask
4%

Total votes: 53

Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Re: Health and fitness

Post by Dr Zaius »

This is from the Group of 8 report to the federal government during the week. Down the bottom, mass gatherings. Not looking likely. Image

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Dr Zaius wrote: May 4, 2020, 8:08 pm This is from the Group of 8 report to the federal government during the week. Down the bottom, mass gatherings. Not looking likely. Image

Yeah is some ways that’s pretty damning. But it’s also context specific, and there has been a genuine focus on the reimplementation of recreational sport. The AIS report is very favourable for anything outdoors, and the one really important thing missing from all of these details is thresholds. What IS a mass gathering.

Universities opening would have significantly more density on some campuses than a rejigged trail run, and health has been a surprisingly big focus.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

All good points.

I wish that we would just hold tight for another months with the current restrictions and shoot for nation wide elimination. It would make the next 18 months so much better for everyone

Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Dr Zaius wrote: May 5, 2020, 7:42 am All good points.

I wish that we would just hold tight for another months with the current restrictions and shoot for nation wide elimination. It would make the next 18 months so much better for everyone

From a health perspective that’s 100% right, I agree.
But I have no idea the economic issues related to that, or
If they should really even be an I put.

There is going to be some I intriguing ‘2020 hindsight’ from all this in a few years,
With a heap of different models being used globally.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Really interesting document from the World Triathlon organisation on implementation plans for age group and elite competition.

This finally has some details around management strategies. Also really interesting to note that their detention of ‘mass event’ (based of WHO guidelines) is to work with local health agencies and ensure worst case scenario is manageable within the supporting heath care structure.

This would likely be the foundation of a triathlon australia framework, and likely a similar line of thinking for running events.

https://www.triathlon.org/uploads/docs/ ... elines.pdf
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Coastalraider wrote:

There is going to be some I intriguing ‘2020 hindsight’ from all this in a few years,
Group of 8 report found that in the short term the economic impact is greater, but that restrictions only need to be held for an extra 2-4 weeks. Following that things can be opened up far quicker, and people will have increased confidence and therefore more likely re-enter the economy. Long term they found that the economic, health and social benefits elimination outweighed containment.

Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Dr Zaius wrote: May 5, 2020, 7:33 pm
Coastalraider wrote:

Group of 8 report found that in the short term the economic impact is greater, but that restrictions only need to be held for an extra 2-4 weeks. Following that things can be opened up far quicker, and people will have increased confidence and therefore more likely re-enter the economy. Long term they found that the economic, health and social benefits elimination outweighed containment.

Wow. So I can only think the decision to ease was to keep the population happy.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

I can imagine. Going to be **** terrifying couple of years for anyone in a vaguely risky category. Seems a shame to have come close to elimination and not gone for it. I guess there’s always the risk of going for it and still not achieving it, must have decided the probability of that was too great...
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Or maybe if we contact trace hard, and people responsibly present for testing if unwell, we'll get there anyway?

It's going to present a real dilemma. WA, SA and NT will probably achieve elimination in the next week or so. ACT did briefly, but has a positive case in a returned traveller a couple of days ago. Tassie will likely get there soon also. While the ACT can't practically be locked off, the other jurisdictions can. We're potentially looking at a situation where for the next couple of years we have to quarantine for 2 weeks when we travel domestically away from the east coast.

Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Things are looking a bit more optimistic. Gatherings of 100 by mid July. If cases remain low come October, they'll have a case to run uta with appropriate precautions and staggered start times

Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Dr Zaius wrote: May 10, 2020, 7:02 pm Things are looking a bit more optimistic. Gatherings of 100 by mid July. If cases remain low come October, they'll have a case to run uta with appropriate precautions and staggered start times

I’m sure you busy, but I’m hoping your keeping some training up just in case! (And for mental health!)
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Yeah mate. My weeks have been very busy and I'm not getting anything done on weekdays. But I've gone for long runs on the weekend. I'm feeling in pretty good shape. Not uta ready shape, but pretty good.

How about you?

Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Looks like you are hitting the virtual stuff on Strava

Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Yeah I’ve been 100% indoors since this started, I’m lucky I have a good setup so I can make that call to limit my need for exposure. Given the easing of restrictions, I’ll probably shift some sessions outdoors this week.

Averaging about 15 hrs a week, 70-80k run weeks, and did a virtual Ironman last weekend. I’m in pretty good shape, I just don’t have a race to use it!!
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Dr Zaius wrote: May 10, 2020, 8:36 pm Yeah mate. My weeks have been very busy and I'm not getting anything done on weekdays. But I've gone for long runs on the weekend. I'm feeling in pretty good shape. Not uta ready shape, but pretty good.

How about you?

How are you tracking Doc? What are your thoughts on UTA? I’m nearly 100% sure it will go ahead even if it’s in a revised format.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Yep, I'm suprised but I'm banking on it happening. I've not been doing much apart from long runs on the weekend. Put away 30km with 1500m climb last weekend, so in reasonable condition, although buggered at the end of that.

Coastal High 50 announced that they will run late Nov this year, usually running in early Sept. It's a no from me. Too hot up here this time of year for that kind of event. It's a shame, two years in a row that I'll have missed it (fires went through last year)
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I’ve found this to be pretty good...

Any other stuff for meditation or mindfulness?
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

I'm a terrible sleeper GE. I've started working my way through the Smiling Mind mindfulness app. Early days yet. Nick swears by Headspace
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

I use Breethe, love it. I put one on every night, I have no idea what happens after 5 minutes because I’m asleep.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Starting to get a bit of fitness back. My Strava has been playing up so switched back to just the Garmin watch. Last weekend I did 2 x 11k runs then this weekend an 11 and a 15 today. Need to get my consistency better but work has been so busy lately, I'm getting home about 7 and don't really want to be eating dinner at 8 o'clock.

Canberra running festival pushed back to November so I might bump up my training for marathon distance and just see how the knee holds up.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

So, we have to take a few days off through the year as part of our "All in this together, help the company out by not banking leave" movement my company's got us doing. I have a week off end of July, and Mrs Fui has a couple of days.

In those days off I have with Mrs Fui, Im contemplating getting golf lessons one day, and just having a quiet hit. I figure I've done the driving range thing, and I've done Putt Putt, so Golf is just merging these two together.

My nearest course (Stonecutters) are offering $70 for a 30 min lesson, and $120 for an hour. For the golfers out there, do you think 30 mins would be enough?
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

If you golf like me Fui, 30 years won’t be enough
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Haha that's also what Im thinking, which is what's making me think 30mins should do the trick. I just want to working on my technique off the tee
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Well who the f knows if UTA will be on or not. Or if it is whether I'll still be able to go and return to Queensland without isolating.

Hopefully NSW can smash out these little clusters
If they can they are looking good.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Dr Zaius wrote:Well who the f knows if UTA will be on or not. Or if it is whether I'll still be able to go and return to Queensland without isolating.

Hopefully NSW can smash out these little clusters
If they can they are looking good.
Yeah it's frustrating to get into a training program with no certainty the race will happen. I'm 2 weeks into an 18 week marathon program so hopefully it happens.

Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

So....

How’s everyone going?

Gerg, how’s that marathon plan going?

Doc, are you still able to keep up so entraining?

EJ, are you training much?

Nickman, still a douche??
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Just training on weekends mate. Too lazy during the week. Uta looking more and more unlikely
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Up to week 5 of an 18 week plan. 40k weeks, slowly building. Had a 21k last Sunday, felt a little stiff but managed a negative split. 1.07 first 10 then 1.07 for next 11. Feeling pretty good TBH.

What are you up to Coastal? You've been the most prolific racer in this thread, how are you coping with less/no racing?

Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Great news gerg, that’s a good place to be. Good to hear your getting some running in Doc, UTA is looking pretty sketchy with the event numbers capped at 500 until at least September 30.

I’m training up hard, pulling off 100k weeks now still aiming to be ready for UTA. If that doesn’t go ahead and borders are relaxed I’ll probably do the Guzzler 100k in November in qld.

I’ve been doing a ton of virtual racing to keep my head straight, I’ve done 13 of the Ironman VR races, and 4-5 VR running events as well.

In the middle of lockdown I did a virtual Ironman distance in my garage on the trainer and treadmill over 2 days. That was a pretty brutal beast.

First real race on the 23rd, a trail run in port mac, I’m on the wait list for one the following weekend, and I’m eyeing off a 30k coastal race in September as well.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Coastalraider wrote:Great news gerg, that’s a good place to be. Good to hear your getting some running in Doc, UTA is looking pretty sketchy with the event numbers capped at 500 until at least September 30.

I’m training up hard, pulling off 100k weeks now still aiming to be ready for UTA. If that doesn’t go ahead and borders are relaxed I’ll probably do the Guzzler 100k in November in qld.

I’ve been doing a ton of virtual racing to keep my head straight, I’ve done 13 of the Ironman VR races, and 4-5 VR running events as well.

In the middle of lockdown I did a virtual Ironman distance in my garage on the trainer and treadmill over 2 days. That was a pretty brutal beast.

First real race on the 23rd, a trail run in port mac, I’m on the wait list for one the following weekend, and I’m eyeing off a 30k coastal race in September as well.
Ouch, the Guzzler 100km in Nov. Have you been to Brisbane in November? Running in that heat and humidity is a different beast.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Dr Zaius wrote: August 8, 2020, 8:25 am
Coastalraider wrote:Great news gerg, that’s a good place to be. Good to hear your getting some running in Doc, UTA is looking pretty sketchy with the event numbers capped at 500 until at least September 30.

Ouch, the Guzzler 100km in Nov. Have you been to Brisbane in November? Running in that heat and humidity is a different beast.
I used to live there so I know, I just haven’t run in it. I usually do a 70.3 in November so I know a little about heat, I just NEEEEED to do something with all this training.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Coastalraider wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote: August 8, 2020, 8:25 am

I used to live there so I know, I just haven’t run in it. I usually do a 70.3 in November so I know a little about heat, I just NEEEEED to do something with all this training.
Oh yeah, it's great to have a goal. You're a braver man than me. Coastal High 50 has been pushed back to the last week of November due to Binna Burra not being ready post bushfires. I'm giving it a miss. The thought of spending several hours in the heat and humidity of the Gold Coast Hinterland at that time of year just doesn't appeal to me. My runs that time of year are generally shorter and I start quite early.

It's actually dew point which is the killer. Google dew point running. At the moment on the GC the dew point is 15C despite it having rained all night. It's usually about 7C this time of year. Over summer it's about 22-24C. It's incredible how draining it is, how much slower it makes you and how **** you feel afterwards, at least for me.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

You're not still biking while you're punching out those 100k weeks?

Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

gergreg wrote: August 8, 2020, 10:27 pm You're not still biking while you're punching out those 100k weeks?

Not a lot mate, maybe 30k of recovery sets just to spin loose.
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

After putting 5 solid months together and being in best shape I've been in since 2017, I had a stress fracture in my shin so didn't run for 6 weeks.

I've been running a little bit for about a month again now and though it's not pain, I'm feeling some pressure in the same spot on the same shin again.

So not sure. Prob will just keep running until it becomes pain again

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk