Canberra Raiders set to spend first month of NRL resumption on the road

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

It's looking unlikely the Canberra Raiders will be allowed to play home games for the first month, with the NRL set to confine all the games to just two stadiums - Western Sydney Stadium and possibly a stadium in Queensland.

"I've got no doubt this season is going to have the same meaning," Sam Williams said. "There's so much football to be played between now and the grand final day. We're going to play every team. Were going to have to win semi-finals. We're going to have to win grand finals. To me it's as real a season as any.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
gerg
Laurie Daley

Re: Canberra Raiders set to spend first month of NRL resumption on the road

Post by gerg »

**** the Broncos.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Wow Canberra is the safest location in the country and the NRL wants games moved away from here. Crazy.

Lucky Broncos aren’t based in Wuhan.
GMGT
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Johnny Bateman

Post by GMGT »

Hardly means anything, without a crowd it takes away most of the benefit of home ground advantage.
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

I couldn't understand why the Storm didn't just move to the old training facility at Bruce. They had trucks with all their gym gear on them, and it's not like Canberra isn't full of empty gyms with plenty of spare equipment they wouldn't want to earn something off by hiring out... Also two teams to play at the same venue, rather than shifting from Albury Tigers to wherever the hell in Sydney is deemed safe to play.

Besides, the Storm beat all comers at Bruce Stadium...
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

No big deal for a month or so.

Even without crowds it's good to see Donkeys getting a leg up.

Get out of bed, drive 10 mins to Suncorp, play, go home...repeat..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Lui_Bon wrote: May 7, 2020, 11:45 pm I couldn't understand why the Storm didn't just move to the old training facility at Bruce. They had trucks with all their gym gear on them, and it's not like Canberra isn't full of empty gyms with plenty of spare equipment they wouldn't want to earn something off by hiring out... Also two teams to play at the same venue, rather than shifting from Albury Tigers to wherever the hell in Sydney is deemed safe to play.

Besides, the Storm beat all comers at Bruce Stadium...
The Storm wanted to be as close to Melbourne in driving distance as they could so they could train 5-6 days per week then return home on weekends.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Hopefully they are considered away games so that our last 14 games include 9 home and 5 away where hopefully in that time some crowds will be allowed back.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders to have NRL home away from home

The Green Machine are preparing to be road warriors with last year's NRL grand finalist set to play "home" games in Sydney over the opening month.

"Hopefully we'll get a draw by next week," Raiders CEO Don Furner said. "If we have four games, it will be two home and two away, but they'll be in Sydney and they'll count for our home games as well... the homes will all be in Sydney I think - for the first month anyway."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Home games in Sydney. What’s Don been smoking in lockdown?
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

BJ wrote: May 9, 2020, 10:24 pm Home games in Sydney. What’s Don been smoking in lockdown?
I don't think this is Dons decision to make.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Timbo wrote:
BJ wrote: May 9, 2020, 10:24 pm Home games in Sydney. What’s Don been smoking in lockdown?
I don't think this is Dons decision to make.
Ummmm that’s not what I’m joking about?????
GMGT
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Johnny Bateman

Post by GMGT »

Away games in Sydney count as home games?? That's pretty piss poor to be honest.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I think the NRL would have been far better off setting up 4 hubs (with 4 teams) and have those 4 teams playing each other in that hub over three weeks while remaining in that location and then shifting to different hubs. They could have based hub selection on the ability to accommodate staff and players of 4 teams. Townsville has military bases and could pull it off. Canberra has the AIS or RMC and I'm sure there are parts of Sydney, Brisbane, Melbourne, central coast and other regional centres that could manage. It would minimise travel outside of the hubs for 4 week blocks and if an outbreak did occur you have potentially 4 teams that are affected and in a worse case scenario you could isolate those teams while the competition continues.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

gergreg wrote: May 10, 2020, 10:37 am I think the NRL would have been far better off setting up 4 hubs (with 4 teams) and have those 4 teams playing each other in that hub over three weeks while remaining in that location and then shifting to different hubs. They could have based hub selection on the ability to accommodate staff and players of 4 teams. Townsville has military bases and could pull it off. Canberra has the AIS or RMC and I'm sure there are parts of Sydney, Brisbane, Melbourne, central coast and other regional centres that could manage. It would minimise travel outside of the hubs for 4 week blocks and if an outbreak did occur you have potentially 4 teams that are affected and in a worse case scenario you could isolate those teams while the competition continues.

The biosecurity advice was not to do it, because it is less safe. It is like creating little cruise ships or aged care facilities.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

greeneyed wrote:
gergreg wrote: May 10, 2020, 10:37 am I think the NRL would have been far better off setting up 4 hubs (with 4 teams) and have those 4 teams playing each other in that hub over three weeks while remaining in that location and then shifting to different hubs. They could have based hub selection on the ability to accommodate staff and players of 4 teams. Townsville has military bases and could pull it off. Canberra has the AIS or RMC and I'm sure there are parts of Sydney, Brisbane, Melbourne, central coast and other regional centres that could manage. It would minimise travel outside of the hubs for 4 week blocks and if an outbreak did occur you have potentially 4 teams that are affected and in a worse case scenario you could isolate those teams while the competition continues.

The biosecurity advice was not to do it, because it is less safe. It is like creating little cruise ships or aged care facilities.
I'm no biosecurity expert but if you bring 150 people (players and staff) into a facility that is isolated from the rest of the community and all 150 are tested before, during and after wouldn't there be less risk than the alternative?

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

But if someone gets it (inaccurate test or whatever) you’ve instantly taken out four teams. Because they’re on top of each other constantly. It’s not sustainable either, taking players away from families for the season.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I don't think a cruise ship is a fair comparison at all. You have a thousand people from all over the world jumping into a confined situation (with no testing) and then jumping on and off at any number of ports.

In my scenario there would be much greater control over the players movements. Every three weeks the NRL could evaluate the situation and adapt as necessary.

My preference would be for there to actually be no home team, so the Raiders wouldn't actually play games in Canberra - they would spend 3 weeks in Brisbane, then Sydney.

You watch how this unfolds. Talk already of games being played in western Sydney and a Qld location. It will be Parramatta stadium and Suncorp. Two teams with pretty good home ground records will effectively have 15 home games this season and 5 away.

If history has taught us anything, you (GE) will be ropeable at seasons end when the Raiders have had 5 home games compared to other sides with 15.

-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

There's basically zero advantage though

They're FIFO matches

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Who cares where we play initially.

No crowds is a massive advantage to all "travelling" teams.

Let's get it on !!!
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

There is no advantage to a team playing at home for two months while the opposing team has to jump on a plane and fly 1,000 kms? You blokes aren't serious are you?

edwahu

Post by edwahu »

I can't get the image to display but the SMH is reporting we will play Roosters, Warriors, Knights, Dragons and Dogs twice. Looks a pretty good draw.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/who-yo ... 54rkb.html

The NRL also apparently had to force Nine to broadcast the grand final replay.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

ARLC to decide soon on whether teams can play at home grounds, but smaller Sydney venues expected for first six to eight weeks of a resumed season

The ARLC is expected to make a decision on whether teams can play at their usual home grounds after a broadcast deal has been finalised. The NRL is leaning towards smaller venues including Western Sydney Stadium, Leichhardt Oval and Kogarah Jubilee Stadium to host games in the first six to eight weeks.

Non-Sydney team are hopeful they will be able to play at their home grounds. The Warriors are expected to host games at Gosford’s Central Coast Stadium but Newcastle’s home ground Hunter Stadium is also an option.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... e5d4ed5b7e
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Who will the Canberra Raiders play twice in the 2020 season?

There are 14 NRL fixtures that look set to take place twice in a significantly reduced NRL season in 2020, reports The Sydney Morning Herald. Broadcasters and the NRL will sit down over the coming weeks to finalise a fixture ahead of the season restart. And it looks like the Canberra Raiders will get two chances to exact Grand Final revenge on the Roosters.

Raiders – Bulldogs, Knights, Warriors, Roosters, Dragons

Read more: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/who-yo ... 54rkb.html

https://www.zerotackle.com/who-your-nrl ... 020-54960/
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

greeneyed wrote: May 11, 2020, 12:57 pm Who will the Canberra Raiders play twice in the 2020 season?

There are 14 NRL fixtures that look set to take place twice in a significantly reduced NRL season in 2020, reports The Sydney Morning Herald. Broadcasters and the NRL will sit down over the coming weeks to finalise a fixture ahead of the season restart. And it looks like the Canberra Raiders will get two chances to exact Grand Final revenge on the Roosters.

Raiders – Bulldogs, Knights, Warriors, Roosters, Dragons

Read more: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/who-yo ... 54rkb.html

https://www.zerotackle.com/who-your-nrl ... 020-54960/
i thought our strongest "rivalry" was against the titans? at least, this is what the nrl and broadcasters have previously lead us to believe?
Dont delete this GE
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

I dunno, pretty sure it’s Ben Cummins...

How many times will we get that goose? Probably have 5 rivalry rounds with him this year... on second thoughts I bet it’s 6 again.
Last edited by gangrenous on May 11, 2020, 1:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Under the current broadcast arrangement, Channel Nine gets 65 picks (30 placed) of the 192 game season - selections that were made last August in preparation for the 2020 draw. That is expected to be reduced proportionally to the length of season. The NRL also picks 10 free-to-air games, while Fox Sports gets to provide its preferred time slot for certain games.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/who-yo ... 54rkb.html

I am SHOCKED by this. The NRL told us that THEY controlled the draw under the most recent broadcasting deal. Turns out it was another plain old lie to the fans.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

The draw is impacted by clowns who don’t even want to televise a grand final rematch? Awesome.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I guess the draw will be released in the next day or two, if the leaks are starting.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

gergreg wrote: May 11, 2020, 6:40 pm I guess the draw will be released in the next day or two, if the leaks are starting.

They’re saying not until after the broadcast deal is settled, which might be Friday. At the rate we’re going we might have the draw only a week out from the first game.
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

What are everyones realistic expectations that we will get to go to the footy in 2020?

And how will it look?

Just want to know what everyone is thinking.

The drives from Sydney to Canberra I miss the most, June/July games in Canberra I just love it, freezing cold. Miss it so much.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
In Ricky We Trust
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I don’t think we will be going to footy in 2020.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

greeneyed wrote: May 11, 2020, 7:25 pm I don’t think we will be going to footy in 2020.
No need to Nickman. Have some hope
Dont delete this GE
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

greeneyed wrote:I don’t think we will be going to footy in 2020.
I’m working on my disguise as an empty seat at a sports stadium. No one will know that I’m there at all. Image
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

BJ wrote: May 11, 2020, 10:51 pm
greeneyed wrote:I don’t think we will be going to footy in 2020.
I’m working on my disguise as an empty seat at a sports stadium. No one will know that I’m there at all. Image
You should try and get in touch with a Roosters fan, they have those disguises nailed.