AIS and Canberra Raiders' facilities turn Canberra into an ideal NRL hub

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

What more could any NRL team want? Two rugby league-specific high-performance facilities, the AIS and a stadium to train and play games in. So as clubs outside our little capital territory and the state of NSW prepare to pack their bags and relocate in a bid to resume the NRL season, why shouldn't Canberra be entertained as a rugby league hub?

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14280
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: AIS and Canberra Raiders' facilities turn Canberra into an ideal NRL hub

Post by greeneyed »

As I understand it, the AIS has already said no to using their facilities, as they want them for Olympic athletes. Hard to see why the Raiders would want a whole pile of other teams traipsing through the new Raiders HQ... given the bio security risks involved. There might be the old Raiders HQ one team could use, I’m not sure what’s left of the gym etc. So there are some training fields at Bruce and Kippax and that’s about it.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

greeneyed wrote: April 26, 2020, 7:51 am As I understand it, the AIS has already said no to using their facilities, as they want them for Olympic athletes. Hard to see why the Raiders would want a whole pile of other teams traipsing through the new Raiders HQ... given the bio security risks involved. There might be the old Raiders HQ one team could use, I’m not sure what’s left of the gym etc. So there are some training fields at Bruce and Kippax and that’s about it.
To be fair, if the squads are deemed to be clear of the virus, there is absolutely no reason they can't share gym facilities if this "bubble" setup goes ahead.

In saying that, it's highly unlikely they will base a team other than the Raiders here if the games are being played in Sydney.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Surely the NRL could do a deal with club lime if they end up being based here

There's a massive gym sitting there unused at the moment that would be perfect for teams to use

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

Seems a strange article to write when the AIS has already said a firm NO.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Shano
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: The dood with the boofy hair

Post by Shano »

The weather itself will stop any possible hint of a Canberra based hub!