The Politics Thread 2020

Discuss all the events of the day

Moderator: GH Moderators

Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

The Politics Thread 2020

Post by Manbush »

If you believe Turnbull the plebiscite was designed to fail, too bad the Australian public didn’t play into the LNPs games.

Turnbull notes at one point in the memoir that working to prevent the legalisation of same-sex marriage was the most animated Morrison ever got during internal policy debates. Morrison, Turnbull says, wanted a constitutional amendment on the question. “Scott explained to me a few days later, ‘I don’t want gay marriage. And because referendums are almost always defeated, I think that’s a good way to ensure it never happens.” Morrison also ran interference on the issue. In the 2016 election, Turnbull says the issue of marriage equality was broadly neutralised until “this equilibrium was thrown out in the last crucial week of the campaign by Scott Morrison, who had been the principal advocate of a plebiscite”.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-n ... t-morrison
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Mr Squiggle
Ken Nagas
Favourite Player: Brad Clyde

Re: The Politics Thread 2019

Post by Mr Squiggle »

Manbush wrote: April 16, 2020, 1:01 pm If you believe Turnbull the plebiscite was designed to fail, too bad the Australian public didn’t play into the LNPs games.

Turnbull notes at one point in the memoir that working to prevent the legalisation of same-sex marriage was the most animated Morrison ever got during internal policy debates. Morrison, Turnbull says, wanted a constitutional amendment on the question. “Scott explained to me a few days later, ‘I don’t want gay marriage. And because referendums are almost always defeated, I think that’s a good way to ensure it never happens.” Morrison also ran interference on the issue. In the 2016 election, Turnbull says the issue of marriage equality was broadly neutralised until “this equilibrium was thrown out in the last crucial week of the campaign by Scott Morrison, who had been the principal advocate of a plebiscite”.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-n ... t-morrison
Must be a **** book if a story about an Evangelical man getting animated about gay stuff is a revelation.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Trump will (hopefully) win the next election despite your posts

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

dubby wrote: April 17, 2020, 5:26 pm Trump will (hopefully) win the next election despite your posts

Come on Dubs he may be pushing the christian spin but how can any self respecting Christian support him, let’s even forget his stupid policies, his lack of intellectual honesty, his science denial, ignoring of experts and look at his character, a serial cheater, liar, someone who defrauds charities to name but a few, is pushing for a theocracy that important to you that you’d follow someone so morally bankrupt? He is the exact opposite of what Jesus was written as.

Go through the characteristics of Jesus and where do they come close to Trump or the Republicans, he was a hippy and much closer to the left.
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

dubby wrote:Trump will (hopefully) win the next election despite your posts

Ouch, what did America ever do to you?
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Trumpy will **** it in... then bee line for those communist *****.
This place is woke.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

dubby wrote:Trump will (hopefully) win the next election despite your posts

Good grief Dubby. He has completely and utterly **** that country.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Fake news.
This place is woke.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Is Dubby being serious?
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Seiffert82 wrote:Is Dubby being serious?
Yes.

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

There's reports out of North Korea that Papas brother Kim Jong-un is gravely ill..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

That's a shame

dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

-TW- wrote:
Yes.

You'd rather that blithering idiot Joe Biden?

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

dubby wrote:
-TW- wrote:
Yes.

You'd rather that blithering idiot Joe Biden?

Yes.

dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Let's face it Tim.

You're New York.

I'm Tennessee.

-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

The bloke you idolize is the reason that country is completely ****

-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

The Americans deserve what they get..
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

dubby wrote:Let's face it Tim.

You're New York.

I'm Tennessee.

It’s true Dubs is the only 10 I see
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

-PJ- wrote: April 21, 2020, 7:55 pm The Americans deserve what they get..
Easy to say and I’ve thought it myself but the majority don’t like him, the majority voted against him so have feel at least some sympathy.

Same with health care and gun restrictions, the majority want both yet the country is run by the minority.

Jebus would be so ashamed of his followers the way they bow to likes of Trump, the complete opposite of what he stood for in his book, con, lie, cheat, defraud, look after the wealthy at the expense of the poor, idolizing the mighty dollar.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Manbush wrote: April 21, 2020, 8:22 pm
Easy to say and I’ve thought it myself but the majority don’t like him, the majority voted against him so have feel at least some sympathy.

Same with health care and gun restrictions, the majority want both yet the country is run by the minority.

Jebus would be so ashamed of his followers the way they bow to likes of Trump, the complete opposite of what he stood for in his book, con, lie, cheat, defraud, look after the wealthy at the expense of the poor, idolizing the mighty dollar.
He won an election where the majority didn't vote for him.

A truely screwed up country..

I don't care really and I must state that because I wouldn't be at all surprised if the Orange man gets another 4yrs.

I don't even know what I'm doing in this thread..so I'll see ya all anywhere but here.. :)
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

-PJ- wrote:
Manbush wrote: April 21, 2020, 8:22 pm

He won an election where the majority didn't vote for him.

A truely screwed up country..

I don't care really and I must state that because I wouldn't be at all surprised if the Orange man gets another 4yrs.

I don't even know what I'm doing in this thread..so I'll see ya all anywhere but here.. :)
1: There are 3,141 counties in the United States. Trump won 2,626 of them. Clinton won 487.
2: There are 62 counties in New York State. Trump won 46 of them. Clinton won 16.
3: Clinton won the popular vote by approx. 1.5 million votes.
4: In the 5 counties that encompass NYC, (Bronx, Brooklyn, Manhattan, Richmond and Queens) Clinton received well over 2 million more votes than Trump. (Clinton only won 4 of these counties; Trump won Richmond) Therefore these 5 counties alone, more than accounted for Clinton winning the popular vote of the entire country.
5: These 5 counties comprise 319 square miles. The United States is comprised of 3,797,000 square miles.
6: When you have a country that encompasses almost 4 million square miles of territory, it would be ludicrous to even suggest that the vote of those who inhabit a mere 319 square miles should dictate the outcome of a national election.
Large, densely populated Democrat cities (NYC, Chicago, LA, etc) don’t and shouldn’t speak for the rest of the country.
And this children, is WHY you have a Electoral College. It's a safety net so that EVERYONES vote counts!

dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

-TW- wrote:The bloke you idolize is the reason that country is completely ****

I don't idolize the bloke.

And as far as unhinged goes, look no further than OUR ABC

dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:
dubby wrote:Let's face it Tim.

You're New York.

I'm Tennessee.

It’s true Dubs is the only 10 I see
Haha.

Unless that's a rating on the gangers system.

Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

So land size should have more right to determine the country than actual people? Everyone’s vote doesn’t count by their system, as you acknowledge land mass is what counts.

As for why they have the electoral college you may want to look into the role slavery played.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Missed the point mate.

Anyway it's been fun.

Please don't get too worked up. It's ok to disagree. I honestly think we tend to take things too serious, and online chat is an awful way too communicate.

Can't wait until the footy starts.

I'll shadow box myself out

Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Not worked up it’s nonsensical though. Take California they provide more food than any other state, provide 15% of America’s economy yet the voters have less say than red states many of which main contributions are higher welfare payments. It would be so funny if it wasn’t sad, the blue states care more about the red states interests than the red states do.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Manbush wrote:So land size should have more right to determine the country than actual people? Everyone’s vote doesn’t count by their system, as you acknowledge land mass is what counts.

As for why they have the electoral college you may want to look into the role slavery played.
Funny that, it actually does in Japan. So 50 people in the frozen wastes of Aomori-ken have the same political weight as 10,000 in Tokyo.

You can imagine the amount spent on those 50 farmers, can't you!

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Nothing could be more on brand than Dubby being a MAGA guy
Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

What on Earth is going on in here...

The US electoral system is objectively horrible. Gerrymandering runs rampant, non-compulsory voting allows fringe interests to dominate, first-past-the-post voting, each state is their own little electoral fiefdom and run off doing their own thing like a bunch of cowboys in a federal election.

I don't care which side of US politics you've aligned yourself with, their system is utter trash and isn't fit to elect a school's class president, let alone the leader of their country.

The USA is literally considered to be a "Flawed Democracy". If you ever want to try figure out who 'should' win a US election, you need to take raw data and do something sensible with it, rather than rely on their absurd electoral boundaries and all the nonsense that goes into generating the statistics you'll get from their elections.
Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

This chart below a perfect example of the type of shenanigans that can occur when you have partisan interests drawing boundary lines. A 'fair' result here is 60/40 orange/purple split, but all sorts of things can happen when people start drawing lines in creative ways...

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

I've only been on this planet for 45 years, but surely no other US president has blatantly lied to his people as much during a single term of presidency - or systematically wound back so much legislation and policy designed to protect those who most need it, with the express aim of expanding his personal wealth.

GW Bush was an idiot, but at least he regularly listened to his advisors. History will show that Trump is a dangerous human. Many people were already suffering at the expense of his greed. Now thousands are going to die as a result of his incompetence.

To date, over 45,000 people have died in the US from COVID, many of those as a direct result of Trump ignoring intelligence and medical advice for months and months. Over 90 ministers and senior advisors have been fired or resigned during his tenure. That is outrageous. To put the number of COVID deaths into context, around 2,600 people died from the terrorist attack on the World Trade Centre.

Prior to COVID, the American economy was bouncing back despite of his maladministration not because of his leadership. How the American people are genuinely considering re-electing him is beyond me.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

**** me, anyone who can look at the utter cluster **** dumpster fire that is currently the United States and think to themselves "blimey that Donny Trump is doing a stand up job" is either both deaf and blind, have an IQ so low that it is immeasurable on any known standardised test, hold such strong ideologies that they are completely incapable of any critical thinking, or some combination of the three.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Chickas shoe
John Ferguson

Post by Chickas shoe »

Dr Zaius wrote: April 22, 2020, 8:09 pm **** me, anyone who can look at the utter cluster **** dumpster fire that is currently the United States and think to themselves "blimey that Donny Trump is doing a stand up job" is either both deaf and blind, have an IQ so low that it is immeasurable on any known standardised test, hold such strong ideologies that they are completely incapable of any critical thinking, or some combination of the three.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
:clap:
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Look at all you blokes spreading this fake news. Trump has been yuge, tremendous in fact he is the greatest president the world has ever seen. He has won the war against all of the U.S. presidents that came before him.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

His press briefings have been good watching though. This was just incredible.