Coronavirus

Discuss all the events of the day

Moderator: GH Moderators

T_R
Don Furner

Re: Coronavirus

Post by T_R »

Northern Raider wrote: April 20, 2020, 6:52 pm Yeah just read that. Would suck losing all those points. Can't be transferred as part of a global program?
Nah, they blocked points transfers a while ago.

I then tried to but 1440 bottles of wine instead, but they blocked that, too.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

T_R wrote: April 20, 2020, 6:58 pm
Northern Raider wrote: April 20, 2020, 6:52 pm Yeah just read that. Would suck losing all those points. Can't be transferred as part of a global program?
Nah, they blocked points transfers a while ago.

I then tried to but 1440 bottles of wine instead, but they blocked that, too.
So you got royally stiffed. I've got hardly any Virgin points left. Hopefully same thing doesn't happen to Qantas.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

I doubt it will be completely liquidated

I'd say it'll be gutted and sold to a equity firm. It'll be too valuable when things start moving again

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

-TW- wrote: April 20, 2020, 7:23 pm I doubt it will be completely liquidated

I'd say it'll be gutted and sold to a equity firm. It'll be too valuable when things start moving again

We'll see. Not convinced there'll be much appetite for investment in airlines for a bit

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

That is a lot of frequent flyer points to lose. Ouch.

I'm with Qantas, and accrue the bulk of my points through a no-annual-fee credit card that I pay off in full each month. I don't get anywhere near those dizzying heights, in fact it's never been over 100k points, but as far as 'something for nothing' goes... it isn't half bad.

I've been doing it for about 7 years, have gotten a handful of good flights out of it including an overseas trip, and the entire thing hasn't cost me a cent.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

I have a Virgin NAB card, pretty small limit just used it to accrue points

It's basically useless now, when I signed up it was 2 points per dollar with the Amex card, 1 per dollar with the visa. Now it's been cut to 0.5 and the Amex card got scrapped.

Will probably get scrapped soon

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

-TW- wrote: April 20, 2020, 9:43 pm I have a Virgin NAB card, pretty small limit just used it to accrue points

It's basically useless now, when I signed up it was 2 points per dollar with the Amex card, 1 per dollar with the visa. Now it's been cut to 0.5 and the Amex card got scrapped.

Will probably get scrapped soon

About as useful as a Kayo subscription now
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

You mean you don't watch Braith and Sam Burgess on Fox League live?

Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

Damn I was annoyed to lose about 100k worth.
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

You won't lose them, velocity is owned by a seperate company.

If virgin went bust they'd do something else so you could redeem them

T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

-TW- wrote:You won't lose them, velocity is owned by a seperate company.

1. It's a wholly owned subsidiary with identical shareholders. The separation is a technical at best.

2. No FF program has ever survived the receivership of the parent airline, ever, anywhere in the world.

But I live in hope. Best chance (outside an actual VA restructure) is a sale to Flybuys or Commonwealth Rewards, I would guess.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

1.7m
Wooooof... that stings
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Recoveries in Australia now over 5000. Active cases below 1600.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

T_R wrote: April 21, 2020, 9:09 pm

1. It's a wholly owned subsidiary with identical shareholders. The separation is a technical at best.

2. No FF program has ever survived the receivership of the parent airline, ever, anywhere in the world.

But I live in hope. Best chance (outside an actual VA restructure) is a sale to Flybuys or Commonwealth Rewards, I would guess.

I think you have hit the nail on the head.

Have you sorted your business out? are you doing ok? Govt stimulus sufficient to keep you tied over?
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

papabear wrote: April 23, 2020, 11:51 am
T_R wrote: April 21, 2020, 9:09 pm

I think you have hit the nail on the head.

Have you sorted your business out? are you doing ok? Govt stimulus sufficient to keep you tied over?
Nah, we're cactus. At this stage I'm just working through exit strategies in the most part. Fortunately, a lot of the stuff we do offshore seems like it will come through OK, so won't be sleeping under a bridge quite yet. Bit rough times, though

The government stimulus is pretty useless. I'm basically working as Centrelink distributing welfare to largely unproductive staff.

I appreciate you asking though - thanks :)

zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

"During the White House press briefing, US President Donald Trump has suggested "hitting the body with tremendous light" and wondered whether injecting disinfectant might cure coronavirus."

https://amp.abc.net.au/article/12179212

Holy crap :roflmao :roflmao
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

:hmmm
This place is woke.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

zim wrote: April 24, 2020, 1:50 pm "During the White House press briefing, US President Donald Trump has suggested "hitting the body with tremendous light" and wondered whether injecting disinfectant might cure coronavirus."

All injecting disinfectant does is turn ones skin orange..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Coronavirus

Post by Sid »

zim wrote:"During the White House press briefing, US President Donald Trump has suggested "hitting the body with tremendous light" and wondered whether injecting disinfectant might cure coronavirus."

Off to hoard a pantry full of tide pods
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Is anyone else wondering how people who have a secret 2nd side family are coping through this? Without doubt there is a significant percentage of people out there in this situation. Makes for some pretty awkward conversations.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Tough times in the side hussle game

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

:lol:
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Can anyone please explain the logic behind paying existing dole bludgers double their entitlements whilst this kung flu **** is rampant, these unproductive slob ***** are robbing me blind.
This place is woke.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

That's a shame, my heart bleeds for you

Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Youd be one one of those ***** then.
This place is woke.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

**** id have you ***** licking handrails to clean them.
This place is woke.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Wouldn't work for you if you were the last business on earth

Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Lol.. massive unders.
This place is woke.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

The only gronk winning out of this is the existing dole bludging ****.. the rest are enticed to borrow more money off banks and use your own super... the happy clapping **** Morrison is a flat out **** of a man.
This place is woke.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Dead set ****.
This place is woke.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Well that's a wrap for this week's edition of 'Question's Random Drunken Tirade'. See you next Saturday.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

I'll tune in, will you?

Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

Oh do I really have to wait a week, can’t we make it a daily viewing? :cry:
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Manbush wrote: April 25, 2020, 10:41 pm Oh do I really have to wait a week, can’t we make it a daily viewing? :cry:
Sorry Bushy. Q is a busy man through the week. You have to wait till Saturday again when he's camped in front of Sky Racing with a loaded eskie by his side.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Installed the app, it's just lingering in the background