Todd Greenberg steps down as NRL CEO

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Todd Greenberg has stood down as chief executive officer of the NRL, effective immediately. His employment with the Australian Rugby League Commission will finish up on Monday.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/04/20/tod ... s-nrl-ceo/

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 118cdc20f1

NRL media release

After reflecting on the needs of the game, it has been mutually agreed that Todd Greenberg will step down as Chief Executive Officer and his employment with the Australian Rugby League Commission will finish up today.

ARLC Chairman Mr Peter V’landys AM said: “The role of Chief Executive of the NRL is one of the most challenging and difficult roles in Australian sport, with a diversity of passionate stakeholders. ARLC thanks Todd for his contribution to the game over the last 7 years and as Chief Executive for the last four years”.

Mr Greenberg said: “It has been my great honour and privilege to be the CEO of the NRL for the last 4 years. Despite the variety of challenges and pressures I have loved every single minute of the journey. Our growth over the last 4 years has been extraordinary and I am very proud of my contribution to the game.

"I am indebted to the game for the variety of opportunities and experiences that have been provided to my family and I, and we leave with many great memories and life long friendships.

"My sincere thanks to all the stakeholders across the game, particularly the fans who are the lifeblood of rugby league. Their unwavering passion for the game is wonderful.

"I remain in awe of the players skill and bravery to play this game week in and week out and I thank all of them, both past and present for their friendship and support.

"My thanks also to the staff and Executive team at the NRL. It has been an absolute honour to lead this team of talented, resilient and hard working professionals."

Mr Andrew Abdo has been appointed acting Chief Executive Officer while a search is undertaken for a new Chief Executive Officer.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Re: Todd Greenberg steps down as NRL CEO

Post by Sid »

but.. but V'landy's said Todd Greenburg's 'position is safe, absolutely'. :o
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

Good.

V'landys doesn't **** around.

Read a beauty of a quote "maybe if he didn't run the NRL like a progressive political party..."
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Wow, I'm stunned.......said nobody
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Greenburg gone!

Post by sprintman »

See ya!
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

I think there will be a few CEOs whilst V’Landys is in charge.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

yeh raiders wrote:Good.

V'landys doesn't **** around.

Read a beauty of a quote "maybe if he didn't run the NRL like a progressive political party..."
Sums up Todd.

A pandering elitist, a smug arrogant goose out out touch with his constituents.

Good riddance.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Looks like the latest debacle... where the ARLC told the NRL to make certain payments to the clubs... and they were short changed was the tipping point. That, plus the fact the broadcasters don't want to talk to him.

It's drawing a long bow, a very low bow, to suggest that rugby league support for basic human rights was a factor in his downfall.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Many years too late.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Don't let the door hit your **** on the way out. Seemed like a very promising candidate for CEO when he stepped up to the job and just disappointed at every pillar and post.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

He oversaw a Complete disconnect with grass roots rugby league and a disconnect with all but a handful of nrl clubs.

Surely there’s better CEO options out there.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Wasted money.

Lacked courage to stand up to certain clubs.

Referees went completely backwards under his regime.

The judiciary is still a mess.

Spoke like a politician and just like Bill Shorten he alienated himself from those who matter most.

A supremely arrogant man that clubs and broadcasters wouldn't speak with.

And it's all self inflicted.

Will forever be remembered as the CEO who wasted the most money and sent the game backwards despite all the cash he had.

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Before we start hooting and hollering let's see who replaces him. This is rugby league afterall.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

gergreg wrote: April 20, 2020, 5:50 pm Before we start hooting and hollering let's see who replaces him. This is rugby league afterall.

Raelene Castle on the short list
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

greeneyed wrote:Looks like the latest debacle... where the ARLC told the NRL to make certain payments to the clubs... and they were short changed was the tipping point. That, plus the fact the broadcasters don't want to talk to him.

It's drawing a long bow, a very low bow, to suggest that rugby league support for basic human rights was a factor in his downfall.
I’m not buying that. Sounds like whatever excuse they could pull together that sounded sufficient to explain that he’d lost the club’s support. Looks to me like a whole bunch of pots scapegoating a kettle. But anywho...

On the finances thing didn’t he do a decent amount to convert the NRL being a basket case full of basket cases, into just a basket case? I’ve got no dog in the fight so I don’t care to do any research, but at least he had moved to running profits rather than losses no?

Absolutely not buying this has anything to do with a progressive stance on human rights!

Hopefully the new CEO addresses referees and totally cleans out the judiciary. I guess first priority is done football games though Image
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

Northern Raider wrote: April 20, 2020, 6:16 pm
gergreg wrote: April 20, 2020, 5:50 pm Before we start hooting and hollering let's see who replaces him. This is rugby league afterall.

I wonder who will be the next organisation to sign her up...

Either that or she’ll move full time into motivational speaking.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

yeh raiders wrote: April 20, 2020, 6:54 pm
Northern Raider wrote: April 20, 2020, 6:16 pm

I wonder who will be the next organisation to sign her up...

Either that or she’ll move full time into motivational speaking.
Maybe one day these organisations will stop hiring ex Bulldogs CEOs
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

SMH reporting Don jnr is a possible candidate for the gig.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/greenb ... 54lij.html
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Northern Raider wrote:

Hey, heyyyy. Let's not even joke about it.

afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

I hope to God the Furner rumours are just speculation and that no current club CEO gets the role. The leap from club to whole of game is completely different ball game and one that I doubt any of them are capable of making successfully, never mind Furner who is an ordinary administrator even at club level. Calls for the likes of Gould and so on are laughable. This is not a bush league role.

I do like the idea of an outsider because the game to me is still bogged down in far too many pre-conceived notions and doing things the way they've always done it. Need high level commercial acumen to be able to take this to a billion a year business, but with the ability to expand and change the image of the game to reach more people. The game cannot continue to be almost exclusive to the eastern seaboard and played mostly by people of a certain socio-demographic.

That said, V'Landys and his fanbois at News are concerning - it's not a good sign the way they've got behind him IMO. Not too sure how this will end up with him calling the shots.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

One of the first things our Vlad did was to slip the boot into expansion to WA and they are the best and most deserving 'non-east' coast bid. Actually they are kind of the only 'non-east' coast bid currently ready to roll.

I think Greenberg should have gone last year after his 'Consistency in the NRL is overrated' comment but even so I don't like the way this has unfolded at this time. I'm guessing at that meeting between Vlad and the 2 broadcasters they put the hard word on him.

As for who steps into the role, Richo is looking for a job.

dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

I don't really know what to make of PVL yet. He initially peeved me no end.

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Well this was as surprise. Gravytrain Greedburger was on borrowed time from day 1. There will be a few very nervous executives in the NRL now. The CFO is surely cactus too.

Focus must now turn to Channel 9. Their shareholders must be mightly upset now that they will no longer "save $130 million" with the NRL poised to restart. :lol:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Todd Greenberg performed strongly in front of the cameras and by all reports he is a good person. I've been critical of him, and the NRL, because they have failed to treat all clubs equally in a range of ways. He's also been "king of the spin"... as they have tried to convince the public that well founded criticisms of the NRL are baseless. For example, they have spinned statistics on refereeing... they spinned the numbers on third party agreements, "forgetting" to tell us they left out half the total. Given their economy with the truth with the public, I wouldn't be at all surprised that that is how they treated other stakeholders. Eventually, people see through that.

So, I can't say that Todd Greenberg moving on is a bad thing.

There seems to be little doubt that we've seen a lot of money wasted and finances mismanaged. But Greenberg's hardly the sole person responsible for the current financial position of the game. A certain Welsh banker wasted lots of money. More recently, John Grant tried to buy an extra few months as Chairman by dishing out large amounts of extra cash to the clubs. Peter Beattie did little to ensure the game was living within its means. So let's remember... most things Todd Greenberg did was on the watch of the ARLC... and these Chairmen.

The clubs are hardly blameless. The NRL had to bail out the Knights, Titans, Tigers and Dragons off the top of my head. The clubs ganged up and demanded a whole pile of extra cash... running large losses regardless of how much of the broadcasting money landed with them. Only recently have small amounts been put aside for a "distressed club" fund. But if the NRL can rightly be criticised for having no assets or financial reserves... aren't the clubs also open to criticism constantly running at losses? At least the clubs with licensed clubs have organisations with assets backing them, I guess. The players have also demanded, and received, massive increases in the salary cap and share of revenues.

You might remember the NRL saying... when all that was happening... we need to be able to set financial reserves aside... we need to provide money for the grass roots. But we all know what happened.

There is significant criticism of the NRL starting to build a digital arm. Guess where most of it is coming from? The traditional media. They are under huge pressure. The old models don't work in a digital world... and they are trying to charge people for access to any digital content. They've now decided to close AAP, as it is easy to get that content for free. The NRL, on the other hand, has a duty to promote the sport and provide news and information to members and the public. And given what's happening in the broadcasting world, with streaming services challenging FTA TV and mainstream STV... it actually makes sense for sports to consider whether new technology will allow them to become broadcasters themselves. Particularly when you have a broadcaster that has hardly been great at promoting the code.

There's been lots of finger pointing... lots of agendas... and lots of greed. I don't think we can say it is all the responsibility of Todd Greenberg.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

greeneyed wrote: April 21, 2020, 10:15 am Todd Greenberg performed strongly in front of the cameras and by all reports he is a good person. I've been critical of him, and the NRL, because they have failed to treat all clubs equally in a range of ways. He's also been "king of the spin"... as they have tried to convince the public that well founded criticisms of the NRL are baseless. For example, they have spinned statistics on refereeing... they spinned the numbers on third party agreements, "forgetting" to tell us they left out half the total. Given their economy with the truth with the public, I wouldn't be at all surprised that that is how they treated other stakeholders. Eventually, people see through that.

So, I can't say that Todd Greenberg moving on is a bad thing.

There seems to be little doubt that we've seen a lot of money wasted and finances mismanaged. But Greenberg's hardly the sole person responsible for the current financial position of the game. A certain Welsh banker wasted lots of money. More recently, John Grant tried to buy an extra few months as Chairman by dishing out large amounts of extra cash to the clubs. Peter Beattie did little to ensure the game was living within its means. So let's remember... most things Todd Greenberg did was on the watch of the ARLC... and these Chairmen.

The clubs are hardly blameless. The NRL had to bail out the Knights, Titans, Tigers and Dragons off the top of my head. The clubs ganged up and demanded a whole pile of extra cash... running large losses regardless of how much of the broadcasting money landed with them. Only recently have small amounts been put aside for a "distressed club" fund. But if the NRL can rightly be criticised for having no assets or financial reserves... aren't the clubs also open to criticism constantly running at losses? At least the clubs with licensed clubs have organisations with assets backing them, I guess. The players have also demanded, and received, massive increases in the salary cap and share of revenues.

You might remember the NRL saying... when all that was happening... we need to be able to set financial reserves aside... we need to provide money for the grass roots. But we all know what happened.

There is significant criticism of the NRL starting to build a digital arm. Guess where most of it is coming from? The traditional media. They are under huge pressure. The old models don't work in a digital world... and they are trying to charge people for access to any digital content. They've now decided to close AAP, as it is easy to get that content for free. The NRL, on the other hand, has a duty to promote the sport and provide news and information to members and the public. And given what's happening in the broadcasting world, with streaming services challenging FTA TV and mainstream STV... it actually makes sense for sports to consider whether new technology will allow them to become broadcasters themselves. Particularly when you have a broadcaster that has hardly been great at promoting the code.

There's been lots of finger pointing... lots of agendas... and lots of greed. I don't think we can say it is all the responsibility of Todd Greenberg.
Spot on. Greenberg has become a convenient scapegoat for a lot of problems that were caused by other interests. Anybody paying attention at the time would remember when the financial windfall came with the latest TV rights that just about every stakeholder stuck out their hand and demanded more.

Unfortunately this is the crux of the problem I had with Greenberg as CEO. I always felt he was far too reactive in most aspects. Lacked conviction and pursue an agenda that was best for the game. Instead would consistently bow to pressure from the clubs, media and general powerbrokers within the the league community.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Frankly, it worries me when even the likes of Ben Ikin say... we need clubs and the State leagues to be “represented” on the ARLC. We needed an independent Commission to contain their vested interests. Unfortunately, we have had some awful Chairs and CEOs...
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

greeneyed wrote: April 21, 2020, 11:31 am Frankly, it worries me when even the likes of Ben Ikin say... we need clubs and the State leagues to be “represented” on the ARLC. We needed an independent Commission to contain their vested interests. Unfortunately, we have had some awful Chairs and CEOs...
We need a CEO who is a visionary prepared to drive the game forward. Not an administrative figurehead that panders to the wishes of various stakeholders.

Need to look for somebody outside the game again. Too many of those within will carry some form baggage and alternate agendas.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Rugbrugh Leeg is the winner here..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

I see they have Andrew Abdo as interim CEO. He was the NRL's Chief Commercial Operator (whatever that means). I guess it's his job to lose now. If he can step up and impress the board at this point in time they won't need to look elswhere. While he currently works for the NRL he doesn't have a rugby league background so that's a positive I guess. Prefer that to the rest of the list of names thrown up, which is basically a bunch of current club CEOs.

Interesing seeing this bit in the SMH story:
"When V’landys flew to the United States earlier this year for a series of meetings - with Fox Corp chairman Lachlan Murdoch and tech giants including Facebook, Google and Amazon - he took Abdo rather than Greenberg."
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Abdo was/is in charge of sponsorships and hospitality etc

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

-TW- wrote: April 21, 2020, 1:19 pm Abdo was/is in charge of sponsorships and hospitality etc

Yeah, among other things. Obviously been identified as the most capable of stepping up in the immediate term.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Based on what I've heard from fox he's very highly regarded, but is not seen as a front man in the way Greenberg was.

So it's whether he's interested in the job, and whether it would work with V'landys taking on more of a front facing role

But then V'landys said when he was appointed chairman he never wanted to be so prominent because he wanted his main focus to be Racing NSW, it just happened because everything went to **** and he had to step in.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Abdo firms in race for NRL CEO job

Andrew Abdo's chances of becoming the next NRL boss have firmed after a number of candidates distanced themselves from the role on Tuesday.

South Sydney CEO Blake Solly and Canberra Raiders counterpart Don Furner have both ruled themselves out of the running while Storm boss Dave Donaghy also shied away from declaring any interest in the position.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14274

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 89af42623a

Nine gloats over Greenberg downfall amid nuclear NRL feud: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 492560a3f0

The email V’landys received that pushed Greenberg out the door: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 1d7a2cd194
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

The last thing they need is to elevate a CEO from a current NRL club. Too many existing ties within the competition.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Yes, that would be a backward step.

What the hell was Greenberg recently doing in St Helens with Nick Politis during this crisis?? If that doesn't sum up everything wrong with the NRL over the last few years, nothing will.