Canberra Raiders star John Bateman admits he will be on 'first flight home' if season cancelled

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Canberra Raiders star John Bateman admits he will be on 'first flight home' if season cancelled

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders forward John Bateman has revealed he will return home to England immediately if the NRL season is cancelled. Bateman admits it is hard being stuck in Australia away from his young daughter.

“That’s probably been one of the scariest things for me, not being able to go home when I wanted to go and see my family," he said. "It really puts stuff into perspective…not knowing when I’m going to see them next that’s the real issue.

Read more: https://www.sportingnews.com/au/league/ ... mp4xgf8994

Video: https://twitter.com/9NewsSyd/status/1251792256484421637
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Re: Canberra Raiders star John Bateman admits he will be on 'first flight home' if season cancelled

Post by -PJ- »

Makes perfect sense to me..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Canberra Raiders star John Bateman admits he will be on 'first flight home' if season cancelled

Post by greeneyed »

Got to feel sorry for him, with his young daughter in England, as well as some older relatives... especially as they were about to visit him in Australia.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

He should be bringing them out here. A couple of weeks in quarantine would be better than the **** going on there.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Northern Raider wrote: April 19, 2020, 11:44 pm He should be bringing them out here. A couple of weeks in quarantine would be better than the **** going on there.
They are not allowed to travel here. They are neither citizens nor residents. Bateman could go back to the UK but then he has the issue of getting back here if / when the season starts.

It is a big issue, when players have made decisions to come over here, they probably always rationalised it that they could be home in about 24 hours if anything ever happens. You can’t do that now.

It wouldn’t surprise me if this does reduce some of the years the UK players would have otherwise spent in the NRL.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Bay53 wrote: April 20, 2020, 10:53 am
Northern Raider wrote: April 19, 2020, 11:44 pm He should be bringing them out here. A couple of weeks in quarantine would be better than the **** going on there.
They are not allowed to travel here. They are neither citizens nor residents. Bateman could go back to the UK but then he has the issue of getting back here if / when the season starts.

It is a big issue, when players have made decisions to come over here, they probably always rationalised it that they could be home in about 24 hours if anything ever happens. You can’t do that now.

It wouldn’t surprise me if this does reduce some of the years the UK players would have otherwise spent in the NRL.
Bateman doesn't currently classify as a resident?
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Northern Raider wrote: April 20, 2020, 11:38 am

It might depend on the sort of visa he's got. He'd probably still be able to travel to and fro (given he's been doing that)... but finding a flight here and then quarantining would be another hurdle. Permanent residency usually takes a while.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

greeneyed wrote: April 20, 2020, 11:52 am

It might depend on the sort of visa he's got. He'd probably still be able to travel to and fro (given he's been doing that)... but finding a flight here and then quarantining would be another hurdle. Permanent residency usually takes a while.
I was thinking resident for tax purposes as somebody working full time here. Yes, it comes down to the definitions.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

I said a similar thing about Kallum Watkins, if he's here for work, surely he'd be able to be exempted for entry?

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

With Watkins I think it became a convenient reason to bail on the Titans.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

That was also my cynical assumption as well

sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

Northern Raider wrote: April 20, 2020, 12:24 pm With Watkins I think it became a convenient reason to bail on the Titans.
He signed with the Wolfpack within 24 hours of Titans release
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Doubt the Titans will lose sleep over it either
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

greeneyed wrote: April 20, 2020, 11:52 am

Sorry my post may have been confusing.

When I said “they” I meant Bateman’s family. Bateman himself is probably considered a resident and probably can leave Australia and be entitled to come back but the issue is he needs to be able to find a flight back and then go into 14 days quarantine. I imagine he also faces some quarantining when he enters the UK too.

Hence the reason all the Brits have stayed.
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

Personally I don’t think he’ll be here long term.
Old School Green
Dean Lance

Post by Old School Green »

sprintman wrote: April 20, 2020, 6:59 pm Personally I don’t think he’ll be here long term.
I think we are seeing why when he was injured last year Stick let him go home for a month or so. Needs footy and the weekly grind or he seems to get pretty down.
His best mate came out with him this year but bailed when COVID went berserk a few weeks ago. He’s flying solo now, away from the grind, doesn’t know when he will see his family again. May 4 can’t come quick enough for him to be back around the team me thinks....
May the 4th be with him I guess 🙏
87, 89, 90, 91, 94, 19
I was there. Go the Milk !!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I don’t think his friend “bailed”. He was here on holiday.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Who wouldn't be missing their loved ones, especially their kids, in these circumstances?

In saying that, you'd prefer that they were all here.
Old School Green
Dean Lance

Post by Old School Green »

greeneyed wrote: April 20, 2020, 7:37 pm I don’t think his friend “bailed”. He was here on holiday.
I think he was planning on originally staying the season GE and keeping his best mate company? I saw something written to that effect but had to grab a flight out when everything was closing?? Anyway, Jonneh is flying solo and feeling it !
87, 89, 90, 91, 94, 19
I was there. Go the Milk !!
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Yeah old mate that was in all his stories flew out mid march I think

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

John Bateman on lockdown, away from his family

In these unprecedented times most people can turn to family for support, whether it's to share a meal or just sit in each other's company and enjoy watching television.That's not the case for 26-year-old John Bateman.

"I'm so far away from home, probably the first thing when it all came out was that I wanted to see my family and I couldn't do that. We're all safe and we're all pretty healthy so that's the main thing.

Read more: https://www.skysports.com/rugby-league/ ... down-under

Former Wigan Warriors star John Bateman couldn't believe his eyes when he read of his call-up for Queensland ahead of this year's State of Origin: https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... an-2545061