Horse Racing

From cricket to motor sports to wrestling and anything in between

Moderator: GH Moderators

yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Re: Horse Racing

Post by yeh raiders »

Alligator Blood vs Catalyst vs Superstorm vs Alabama Express vs Dalasan vs Chenier

I'm leaning toward Catalyst.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Alligator Blood was 4th up last time vs 2nd up for Catalyst and that residual fitness plus 1kg weight pull might have been the difference at the post. Race pattern suited Alligator Blood more as well. Up to the mile at level weights and the extra run under the belt I think Catalyst can turn around that half head margin.

Alabama Express? Hard to knock G1 WFA winning form. Not convince about the quality of the Orr however. How would the two above have gone in that field. I'll let him pass here but could easily be proven wrong.

Dalasan isn't quite up to the level of these. Superstorm no chance.

Chenier a real interesting runner. Only 3 career starts and was far from disgraced against the best 3yos. They sprinted a bit quick for him but loved how he ran through the line. A bit more early pressure and the extra furlong could bring him right into it. I'll have a saver on him if he drifts in the market. A touch too short at the moment IMO. $8.00 would be nice.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley

Post by yeh raiders »

Gee that was seriously good from Alligator Blood. Huge training performance
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Brilliant win against a quality field. Catalyst loomed up at the top of the straight but couldn't sustain the run and was disappointing. Alabama Express went ordinary. Something amiss or did he peak last start? Might need some form of redemption for his stud career.

Superstorm powered the last furlong. Needed more pressure up front and might have tested the winner.

Chenier is one to follow. Approaching the 600 he dipped and nearly fell. Kept in touch and ran super sectionals. He's from a Zabeel mare so could train on strongly as a 4/5yo.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley

Post by yeh raiders »

I think Alabama Express had some issues after his last run, it took a lot out of him. He found nothing today. He will be standing at stud in Victoria, I assume after this prep.

Flight Stakes was a cracking race, Funstar will be very hard to beat 2nd up.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley

Post by yeh raiders »

NR what did you make of the Bossy/James McDonald incident ?
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley

Post by yeh raiders »

Luckily one sport is surviving (all be it by the skin of it's teeth)....

70k+ jobs at stake, and thousands of horses..
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Some big changes in QLD racing in attempt to keep operating while managing risk and complying with all social distancing requirements. The most recent has been regional restrictions to keep people and horse movement to a minimum.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley

Post by yeh raiders »

Glad they’re adapting. Syndicators and trainers are being hit hard.

Big day of racing at Rosehill tomorrow. I like Diplomatico (e/w), Verry Ellegant (w) and Probabeel (w).
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Diplomatico nice odds so worth something each way. Kementari the interesting runner as he's now been gelded. I'm each way on Handle the Truth. Good record track, distance and 2nd up.

Verry Elegant looks a stand out on last run and odds reflect that. Avilius could be the big improver over 2400.

Probabeel the main hope of knocking off Funstar. Those two are stand outs.....which means something else will win. :)
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Northern Raider wrote: March 28, 2020, 12:30 pm
Verry Elegant looks a stand out on last run and odds reflect that. Avilius could be the big improver over 2400.

Good pick mate.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley

Post by yeh raiders »

Northern Raider wrote: March 28, 2020, 12:30 pm Probabeel the main hope of knocking off Funstar. Those two are stand outs.....which means something else will win. :)
Spot on again!
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

yeh raiders wrote: March 28, 2020, 6:54 pm
Northern Raider wrote: March 28, 2020, 12:30 pm Probabeel the main hope of knocking off Funstar. Those two are stand outs.....which means something else will win. :)
Spot on again!
Shame I didn't know which one :lol:
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley

Post by yeh raiders »

Northern Raider wrote: March 28, 2020, 7:08 pm
yeh raiders wrote: March 28, 2020, 6:54 pm
Spot on again!
Shame I didn't know which one :lol:
Haha, well it was a huge run from Shout The Bar. Deserved to win.

Diplomatico on the other hand, cardiac arrhythmia apparently. If he trials well, I wonder if they’ll have a crack at the All Aged Stakes. Roll the dice on him as a 4 year old Entire. Travelling him to QLD for the winter carnival may not be possible, given the circumstances.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Qld Winter Carnival has been canned. Travel restrictions would limit it to
locals only and may need to save the money.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley

Post by yeh raiders »

Yeah that’s a big shame, but understandable.

Reminiscing about the good times when we could actually attend a race meet ... I Just saw Racing.com on Facebook, they love showing the replays of Chautauqua’s 6 group 1’s. That 3rd consecutive TJ win was just absurd.

Everything said he wouldn’t win - The whole prep leading up to that run, where they tried him up in distance... to be about 15 lengths off them and under the whip coming around the turn... then mows them all down on a track that favoured the leaders. It’s the best last-to-first win I’ve ever seen in a big race.

He’s now a show horse, looking like he’s spending plenty of time in a feed bin :D
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley

Post by yeh raiders »

Newcastle Race 6, Horse 15 - “Mardi Girl”

$23/$5 - decent each way chance
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

yeh raiders wrote: March 30, 2020, 9:37 pm Yeah that’s a big shame, but understandable.

Reminiscing about the good times when we could actually attend a race meet ... I Just saw Racing.com on Facebook, they love showing the replays of Chautauqua’s 6 group 1’s. That 3rd consecutive TJ win was just absurd.

Everything said he wouldn’t win - The whole prep leading up to that run, where they tried him up in distance... to be about 15 lengths off them and under the whip coming around the turn... then mows them all down on a track that favoured the leaders. It’s the best last-to-first win I’ve ever seen in a big race.

He’s now a show horse, looking like he’s spending plenty of time in a feed bin :D
I also loved how decided to retire himself. That is normally up to the trainer/owners bit he took matters into his own hands. :lol:
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley

Post by yeh raiders »

Northern Raider wrote: March 31, 2020, 2:30 pm
yeh raiders wrote: March 30, 2020, 9:37 pm Yeah that’s a big shame, but understandable.

I also loved how decided to retire himself. That is normally up to the trainer/owners bit he took matters into his own hands. :lol:
Haha yep, the sheer arrogance of him. He’s in my top 5 easy.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

What's the tips for today?

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

yeh raiders
Laurie Daley

Post by yeh raiders »

I had Bobbing on top for the next at Randwick, but I’m now leaning toward Julian Rock.

See how they look in the yard.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Random bet for a Saturday but I’m on Duvet in the next at Alice Springs.
RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by RTW »

-TW- wrote:What's the tips for today?

Good thing I didn’t see this post earlier, no one would have wanted to follow me on the punt. What a stinker of a a day. I managed to land Rubisaki at the end of the day to make it not so bad. But even then I fixed it at $2.05 so cost myself plenty!

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

I think I ended up down $10, so not terrible

RTW
David Furner

Post by RTW »

I’m off to a good start at Randwick with 2/3 bets. Surely I fall apart for the big races.
Who is everyone keen on?

Oaks: Collette I intended to bet on her last week but missed the jump. Think she will be to good.
Sydney cup: I am happy to lay young rascal but not sure what beats it. At this stage I have a bit e/w on the chosen one.
Queen Elizabeth stakes: I got on earlier in the week for Damon premium at $4.25 and expected that price would come in considerably but I think a lot of people are worried about the track. If it gets put past $5 I will be emptying the account.
Coolmore: if Amangiri can gets home I will shout the bar...

yeh raiders
Laurie Daley

Post by yeh raiders »

Just tuned in a couple of races ago.

Collette monstered them. Too easy.

Anyone’s guess here in the QE.... I like Addeybb
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Ended up marginally ahead. Was keen on Colette. Last week's win looked like an Oaks winner.

Mustajeer was my Cup pick. Not a great ride but he didn't go well enough anyway.

Shifted to Addeybb when it was apparent the track was going to be very soft. Was my best result of the day.

Away Game was another good result. I got 3.50 hosted odds. Was expecting around 2.00
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Had a very good day personally. Won a lot of money on Etah James. So many pundits underestimate the rise in trip from the 2000s to 3200. Had an 8kg drop from what it carried in the Auckland Cup where it hit the line best in that race.
RTW
David Furner

Post by RTW »

I landed about 6 winners for the day including the trifecta in the oaks and had a good lash at Collette. Away game and Indy car started the day nicely for me in Sydney.
Unfortunately and I will blame it on staying at home I ended up just betting on every race instead of what I had actually looked at closely.
Can’t complain though as I was still a few hundred in front.

-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Had a pretty ordinary day really, 2 wins and 2 bonus bets for 2nds and 3rds

Only had a few wuss bets ($1 and $2) on luckily as I cbf to top up my account, but was down about $12 overall

yeh raiders
Laurie Daley

Post by yeh raiders »

The horse that got me into racing at 5 years old, my first win on a Melbourne cup, Might and Power has passed away at 26 years old.

What an absolute warrior. Incredible animal.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley

Post by yeh raiders »

-TW- wrote: April 11, 2020, 10:57 pm Had a pretty ordinary day really, 2 wins and 2 bonus bets for 2nds and 3rds

Only had a few wuss bets ($1 and $2) on luckily as I cbf to top up my account, but was down about $12 overall

Count me in on being a wuss too, my $5 on Addeybb got me fractionally ahead by close of play.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

yeh raiders wrote: April 12, 2020, 10:02 am The horse that got me into racing at 5 years old, my first win on a Melbourne cup, Might and Power has passed away at 26 years old.

Such an exciting horse. Don't see as many of those bold front runners these days. His Caulfield Cup win was incredible.

There's an urban myth at my old cricket club about me with that race. I was in the middle batting when the race was about to jump so I threw my wicket away and ran off the field to watch. Mostly true except it was our final wicket and it was the other batsman who got out. I did then run from the field and got into the clubhouse just as it started.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

yeh raiders wrote: April 12, 2020, 10:02 am The horse that got me into racing at 5 years old, my first win on a Melbourne cup, Might and Power has passed away at 26 years old.

Just heard this news, very sad.

Caulfield Cup, Cox Plate, Melbourne Cup winner..

Great beast.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley

Post by yeh raiders »

Great to read some classic Might and Power stories. Jim Cassidy is said to have shed a tear today.

Racing history is absolutely fascinating and M&P is big contributor.

Will we ever see another horse win a Cox Plate, Caulfield Cup, Melbourne Cup and a QE?

I highly doubt it.

That Zabeel bloodline is incredible... I love the history of Octagonal too. He was a very distinctive horse. Midnight black, huge stride, incredible action and just a bombproof attitude.

Wasn’t overly successful as a sire, in terms of quantity but he hit one out of the park with Lonhro.

Following his enormous career, he has been a huge success at stud (standing at Darley helps..) producing a dozen G1 winners, including his best in Pierro.

Pierro’s probably going to finish top 3 in the stallion premiership this year, magnificent result given the number of runners he has compared to Snitzel and I Am Invincible.

Only time will tell if Pierata or Shadow Hero end up being the best of his sons, but the bloodline keeps delivering.