Ricky Stuart says he'll fight proposal to strip competition points from opening rounds

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Ricky Stuart says he'll fight proposal to strip competition points from opening rounds

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart says he'll fight proposal to strip competition points from opening rounds

NRL teams could be stripped of the competition points they won in the opening two rounds of the season under a highly controversial proposal to restart the premiership with two conferences.

“I don’t believe this will be the case as the NRL told us earlier the first two rounds would stand,” Raiders coach Ricky Stuart said. “If they were to go back on this and create a whole new competition it is totally unfair to every team that prepared for the first two games and won competition points. I promise you I would fight this.

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... 6ec320db1d

NRL considers stripping points from opening rounds, two-conference system: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... TcVfGn8oz0

NRL to consider controversial scrapping of points from opening rounds: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/nrl-to ... 54hn4.html

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Unbeaten clubs could be stripped of points in two-conference competition

Post by greeneyed »

Dragons, Knights, Raiders, Warriors and Storm are the teams that might be sent to Queensland, joining the three Queensland teams. Unclear where teams would be based in Queensland. Sydney clubs based at Homebush. Regular season of only seven weeks, plus finals (four weeks) and Origin (three weeks). 14 weeks all up.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Wouldn’t make sense to have 2 rounds then make them count for nothing. It’d make more sense for each team to keep their points, even if it means one conference has more total points than the other. Every team has the opportunity to win points in their 2 games.

There’s been a enough games in the NRL already that have counted for nothing

Last edited by Sid on April 6, 2020, 8:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Re: Ricky Stuart says he'll oppose any proposal to strip competition points from opening rounds

Post by Matt »

I know we have 2 wins banked, and so we seem biased because of it, BUT... its BS to lose those rounds completely
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: Ricky Stuart says he'll oppose any proposal to strip competition points from opening rounds

Post by Botman »

These are very strange times and concessions have to be made. It would suck for us, but you know what? Life sucks right now and maybe we've just gotta take it on the chin for the good of the competition.

We're a good team, we're one of the best teams in the comp... take the wins from us, couldnt care less, couldnt give a ****. If we're as good as we think we are, as good as we should be, we shouldnt have an issue with us starting the comp from zero again. I dont agree with it, and agree with others that every single team has had the chance to earn 4 points and those with points should keep them and no one is disadvantaged, but im also not going to make a song and dance about hitting reset.

Usain Bolt doesnt bitch when he's got out of the blocks well but he has to start again because some other clown jumped early. **** happens. We're too good to let this nonsense get in our way.
We're better than all these teams. Lets go and prove it.

Take the wins, start the comp. Ill see you **** at the parade down northbourne
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Re: Ricky Stuart says he'll fight proposal to strip competition points from opening rounds

Post by -TW- »

I'm on the fence, we should be 2-0 but if you're completely changing the structure of the comp then it doesn't seem right to have it slanted in some teams favour.

Depends really how the format works

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

Every NRL game in 2007 counted for nothing, as every team was playing for a premiership and no team won one at the end

Every game in 2009 counted for nothing, see above

Every game the Melbourne Storm won in 2010 counted for nothing, no competition points were awarded

Every nines game I went to NZ to watch in 2016.. nothing

The games other teams played that have also been stripped of points

The first 2 rounds of Rugbah Leeg were the one shining light in a miserable 2020 and NRL are seriously considering taking that away from the fans if they make them count for naught.

**** sake NRL sort it out!

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Re: Ricky Stuart says he'll fight proposal to strip competition points from opening rounds

Post by Seiffert82 »

Seems a bit odd. Presumably this is only if the conference system is put in place.

Surely they can work something out to make the games count as a conference system is inherently 'unfair' based on who is included in each conference.

Anyway, bring the footy back. A 15 game season seems the fairest outcome.
Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

Who’s going to be the one to tell Taumololo that he ran 345m and scored a try in round 2 to collect 0 Dally M points? He may as well have been sitting under the goal posts picking his nose.

edwahu

Post by edwahu »

I don't see the benefit. If the rules were changing perhaps but it's the same game.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

In a year that will have a dramatically reduced number of games they want to eliminate 2 full rounds. Stupid idea.

Whatever format they come up with it needs to count those early matches.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

So NRL says they can reverse correctly awarded points for the season so far, but They can’t reverse a wrong decision to rescind a six again call in a grand final.

This really is an ineptly run sport. A great game ruined by mediocre management.

This decision is the exact opposite of what V’landys said he was going to bring to the table when he joined the executive.

Next they’ll be awarding NZ the cricket World Cup after the incorrect scoring debacle.
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

This is truly a whacked out time in league.
Nothing happening on the field so the crazies come out in the media , whoever has a voice is throwing their 2 bobs out there.

They will have 100s of scenerios the way the league will look once we get going again, which is getting earlier every day. Im not going to react too much to every half pitched idea .
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

For decades in the NRL teams have played some teams once and some teams twice.

If this proposal to ignore the first two rounds of 2020 is implemented, it places question marks over every premiership in the NRL era.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

You can’t have a 7 round season. **** Origin off for a year and make it te 2 games already plus another 10+ imo
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

BJ wrote:So NRL says they can reverse correctly awarded points for the season so far, but They can’t reverse a wrong decision to rescind a six again call in a grand final.

This really is an ineptly run sport. A great game ruined by mediocre management.

This decision is the exact opposite of what V’landys said he was going to bring to the table when he joined the executive.

Next they’ll be awarding NZ the cricket World Cup after the incorrect scoring debacle.
Didn't the NRL come out and say the six again (call/no-call) was the correct decision? Why would they reverse a decision they (wrongly) thought was correct?

And a conference system based in QLD... it's all coming up Broncos isn't it?

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

We won those points fair and square. If the competition restarts, we deserve to keep them. Imagine if we miss the finals, but someone like the Roosters make it and win again having started 0-2 only to have them blanked?

Also, think about someone like Jayden Brailey. He was huge for the Knights in their first two games, and got a season ending injury in the second game. So he’s going to have to go through a year of rehab for nothing?
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
kona_dream
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by kona_dream »

Why would you bother having the 2nd "conference" in QLD? Most of the teams playing are not from QLD.
kona_dream
Clinton Schifcofske

Post by kona_dream »

One of the other questions to answer if they have such a short season is suspensions. If they follow the current structure of points loading etc it will likely mean a lot of players will miss huge chunks of the season. A grade 2 or 3 with some loading will likely mean not playing again. What does this also mean for current suspensions? for example Hudson Young can't play until the finals really.

I am really not a fan of the 2 conference idea. But if it has to be that way, perhaps they could look either keeping the FA earned during round 1 and 2. Or for games that occurred in round 1 and 2 against teams in your conference could act as a tie breaker rather than FA where it was only those teams on the same points. Ie if we finished with the same wins/points as the Titans or Warriors we would finish above them despite any FA. Broncos were the same as the Cowboys Broncos would finish ahead due to their round 1 win. At least this gives some advantage to those teams in round 1 that played well.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

kona_dream wrote: April 7, 2020, 9:05 am Why would you bother having the 2nd "conference" in QLD? Most of the teams playing are not from QLD.
Its all the non-Sydney teams with Dragons classified as Wollongong.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

gergreg wrote:
BJ wrote:So NRL says they can reverse correctly awarded points for the season so far, but They can’t reverse a wrong decision to rescind a six again call in a grand final.

Didn't the NRL come out and say the six again (call/no-call) was the correct decision? Why would they reverse a decision they (wrongly) thought was correct?

NO. You’re wrong.

You have misunderstood what the NRL said.

They admitted the referee wasn’t able to reverse a call of this type. So the ref got it wrong.

It wasn’t a call that could be overruled mid play. It’s like a cricket umpire immediately calling No Ball then reversing his decision after the batsman got caught.

The NRL only said that they thought the end result was right because Tedesco didn’t touch it. But even that was dubious.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Rewarding the premiership to the Broncos and moving on is the only fair outcome here..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Northern Raider wrote: April 7, 2020, 9:22 am
kona_dream wrote: April 7, 2020, 9:05 am Why would you bother having the 2nd "conference" in QLD? Most of the teams playing are not from QLD.
But why Queensland? Three teams from Queensland, but five teams aren't. The only explanation is a place like Townsville might be a safer location (?) Not sure how they are going to get five teams into Queensland without putting them into isolation for two weeks, especially as one of them is from New Zealand? To be honest, I'll be surprised to see any of this happens.

I thought the idea of putting all teams in one location was ill considered... one case and the whole competition is again shut down. The two conferences would only be slightly safer (?). But others would have a much better idea about the bio-security of all that...

If it does proceed... the worrying suggestion on Fox League Live last night was that finals would be played within conferences, and the grand final would be the top two teams left from the two conferences. That guarantees a Sydney team in the grand final... which is their dream, of course. If that's the proposal, it would be a poor outcome.

I can sort of see why some might see it is unfair that the Raiders get to play the Warriors and Titans twice in a nine game season... but the Raiders aren't choosing which conference they go into. Five of the eight teams in the proposed "northern" or "national" conference are currently in the top eight after two rounds, however. It could be argued it is the tougher conference.

On balance, it would be fairest to count all the games played, IMO. Why reward teams who started the season with two losses and penalise those who started well? Both conferences would have three teams which have not won a game. I think it'd be fairest to count the points from the opening rounds and have a traditional top eight.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

I dont mind two conferences.

However it is ridiculous not to count the games already played, we earned our wins over cellar dwellers like parra and deserve those points.

It sounds like an eastern suburbs scheme to me.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

BJ wrote: April 7, 2020, 9:34 am They admitted the referee wasn’t able to reverse a call of this type. So the ref got it wrong.
While it is difficult to imagine how they could not admit this, given the rule is written in black and white, I don't believe I've ever seen them admit this, despite repeated questioning. They've said it was better to get "the right call" (in their opinion).
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

greeneyed wrote: April 7, 2020, 10:05 am
But why Queensland? Three teams from Queensland, but five teams aren't. The only explanation is a place like Townsville might be a safer location (?) Not sure how they are going to get five teams into Queensland without putting them into isolation for two weeks, especially as one of them is from New Zealand? To be honest, I'll be surprised to see any of this happens.

I thought the idea of putting all teams in one location was ill considered... one case and the whole competition is again shut down. The two conferences would only be slightly safer (?). But others would have a much better idea about the bio-security of all that...

If it does proceed... the worrying suggestion on Fox League Live last night was that finals would be played within conferences, and the grand final would be the top two teams left from the two conferences. That guarantees a Sydney team in the grand final... which is their dream, of course. If that's the proposal, it would be a poor outcome.

I can sort of see why some might see it is unfair that the Raiders get to play the Warriors and Titans twice in a nine game season... but the Raiders aren't choosing which conference they go into. Five of the eight teams in the proposed "northern" or "national" conference are currently in the top eight after two rounds, however. It could be argued it is the tougher conference.

On balance, it would be fairest to count all the games played, IMO. Why reward teams who started the season with two losses and penalise those who started well? Both conferences would have three teams which have not won a game. I think it'd be fairest to count the points from the opening rounds and have a traditional top eight.
I feel like the best deal to sell to the Broadcasters and not player safety has more to do with this proposal.
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

julian87 wrote:You can’t have a 7 round season. **** Origin off for a year and make it te 2 games already plus another 10+ imo
They're not going to get rid of Origin, it makes them way too much money.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

BJ wrote:
gergreg wrote:

NO. You’re wrong.

They admitted the referee wasn’t able to reverse a call of this type. So the ref got it wrong.

It wasn’t a call that could be overruled mid play. It’s like a cricket umpire immediately calling No Ball then reversing his decision after the batsman got caught.

The NRL only said that they thought the end result was right because Tedesco didn’t touch it. But even that was dubious.
Your last para is what I was referring to.

Shoving it in your face since 2017
kona_dream
Clinton Schifcofske

Post by kona_dream »

I am just not certain that the comp needs to be shorten to 7 weeks (I understand some players don't want to be locked away playing finals and then SOO). With the current spread (I know the current trend could change) we are still 6-8 weeks from starting the comp. The infection rates are currently significantly lower than a a few weeks ago and the Government(s) are likely to start unwinding some of the social distancing measures by August. I am just not sure they couldn't run the comp right through the normal number of rounds. If they need to go into 2 camps for the first 2 months of the comp until August so be it. Then have a cross over for the remainder.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

gergreg wrote:
BJ wrote:
gergreg wrote:

NO. You’re wrong.

Your last para is what I was referring to.

Sorry that wasn’t clear to me.

I was referring to V’landys when he started in the NRL head honcho role saying he implements things with the highest integrity and that he will continue to do that at the NRL and that his biggest focus was on stopping fans walking away from the game feeling ripped off.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Raider Azz wrote: April 7, 2020, 10:24 am
julian87 wrote:You can’t have a 7 round season. **** Origin off for a year and make it te 2 games already plus another 10+ imo
They're not going to get rid of Origin, it makes them way too much money.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk
then play them mid week and let the players back up playing 3 games in 6/7 days.

They should be nice and fresh anyways, just remove thurs/fri night footy for the origin time period.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Wayne Pearce does not support proposal of scrapping already-won competition points

The radical proposal to scrap the opening two rounds of NRL competition points looks set to be scrapped with Project Apollo commissioner Wayne Pearce rejecting the concept.

“My personal view is when we get the competition up and running again we should carry the results from the opening two rounds,” Pearce said. “Players have worked extremely hard all off season and clubs have lost players to injuries in those opening two games.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-20 ... d37d92bf12
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

greeneyed wrote: April 7, 2020, 10:05 am

In answer to the bolded part, it has to be somewhere. Saying "why Qld" can be answered with "why not Qld". Your point about 5 of the 8 teams not being from Qld is irrelevant as they're from all different places. Wherever its played the majority would not be from that state.

I agree with what you say about having the winner of each conference play the GF. It does sound like their trying to ensure a Sydney team is involved. Shoud be crossover playoffs.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

greeneyed wrote:Wayne Pearce does not support proposal of scrapping already-won competition points

The radical proposal to scrap the opening two rounds of NRL competition points looks set to be scrapped with Project Apollo commissioner Wayne Pearce rejecting the concept.

“My personal view is when we get the competition up and running again we should carry the results from the opening two rounds,” Pearce said. “Players have worked extremely hard all off season and clubs have lost players to injuries in those opening two games.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-20 ... d37d92bf12
So it was probably Trent Robinson leaking to his mates in the media

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

So..Wayne. I haven't seen you in a while. What are you up to these days ?

"I'm the Project Apollo Commissioner"

Well, good for you Wayne..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock: