The most underrated Raiders of all time

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: The most underrated Raiders of all time

Post by Northern Raider »

I'll still keep Nigel Plum on my list. Complete ploder in attack. One of the most consistently brutal tacklers I've seen. I'd swear he was made of granite.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

-TW- wrote:
yeh raiders wrote:Surprised there’s no mention of Luke Page.
It's not the most overrated team of all time

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk
I like TW’s idea of a most overrated team.

My two cents. Luke Page Prop and captain, Roger Kenworthy and Royston Lightning on the wings.
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

Surely frawley makes the side somewhere?
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ethan Strange

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

Scott Logan was massive for us. Very underrated outside our club
Colin Best was another. His stint with us was great. How he burned Gasnier when we played the Dragons was legendary
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

BJ wrote: April 6, 2020, 3:52 pm
-TW- wrote:

My two cents. Luke Page Prop and captain, Roger Kenworthy and Royston Lightning on the wings.
Overrated should be guys who were somehow regularly selected in our 1st grade team despite being reserve grade level. Not sure a guy who played 20 mins of NRL is part of that.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Northern Raider wrote:
-TW- wrote:

Overrated should be guys who were somehow regularly selected in our 1st grade team despite being reserve grade level. Not sure a guy who played 20 mins of NRL is part of that.
I was also including the hype. Otherwise you wouldn’t have Luke PAGE who never played a second for the Raiders.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

BJ wrote: April 6, 2020, 6:16 pm
Northern Raider wrote:
-TW- wrote:

I was also including the hype. Otherwise you wouldn’t have Luke PAGE who never played a second for the Raiders.
Do we include Matt Rua too?
Chicka Chicka Chicka
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Chicka Chicka Chicka »

I reckon Chris O’Sullivan was pretty underrated. I’ve watched a few replays of matches in the last couple of weeks and from memory as a young fella he never really stood out to me amongst his more notable teammates. But jeez he had a real ability to skip to the outside of a defender and create numbers outside him or just take off, very quick off the mark. Tenacious defender too. Never appreciated what he offered to those gun Raiders teams, funny how your opinion can change over time when you rewatch matches. Kudos Sully.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Chicka Chicka Chicka wrote: April 6, 2020, 6:40 pm I reckon Chris O’Sullivan was pretty underrated. I’ve watched a few replays of matches in the last couple of weeks and from memory as a young fella he never really stood out to me amongst his more notable teammates. But jeez he had a real ability to skip to the outside of a defender and create numbers outside him or just take off, very quick off the mark. Tenacious defender too. Never appreciated what he offered to those gun Raiders teams, funny how your opinion can change over time when you rewatch matches. Kudos Sully.
I remember reading some club history a while back and it talked about how he was considered unlucky not to go on the Roo Tour in 86. Shows how good he was to even be close.

Henjak is another player a bit forgotten considering his record.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Chicka Chicka Chicka wrote: April 6, 2020, 6:40 pm I reckon Chris O’Sullivan was pretty underrated. I’ve watched a few replays of matches in the last couple of weeks and from memory as a young fella he never really stood out to me amongst his more notable teammates. But jeez he had a real ability to skip to the outside of a defender and create numbers outside him or just take off, very quick off the mark. Tenacious defender too. Never appreciated what he offered to those gun Raiders teams, funny how your opinion can change over time when you rewatch matches. Kudos Sully.
Agree. In an era with Stick and Laurie in the team he was also a main kicker, dominant almost in some games- certainly not an afterthought. Effective kicks too. Surprising also when you rewatch was how often Mal kicked. I never really remembered it but he'd kick 2-3-4 times a game quite often.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Seiffert82 wrote:I'm going to add a few players to my list of Michael Monaghan, Michael Hodgson, Colin Best and Scott Logan...

Jay Hoffman
Ashley Gilbert
Dean Lance
Wayne Collins
Sean Hoppe
Brandon Costin
Mark McLinden
Michael Robertson (wildly criticised before joining Manly)
Nigel Plum
Very good list.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

O'Sullivan is certainly under rated. Ivan Henjak too.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Davico was pretty good actually.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

What are people's thoughts on Ryan Ohara ?

He had 4-5 years at our club and I think he played Origin while representing the Raiders..

I know he played Origin anyway..

Underrated/Overrated ??
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

-PJ- wrote:What are people's thoughts on Ryan Ohara ?

He had 4-5 years at our club and I think he played Origin while representing the Raiders..

Underrated/Overrated ??
tough one, I was stoked when we signed him from the dogs and yeah 1 origin I remember but memory makes me think he was inconsistent.
Davico wasn't very big but he was so important to our pack, dirty we let him go he played some good footy for the knights. Still a champion bloke and will always stop for a chat at the knights v raiders games, bleeds green still.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

-PJ- wrote: April 7, 2020, 9:47 am What are people's thoughts on Ryan Ohara ?

Underrated/Overrated ??
Overrated eventually. Was going well to earn his Origin spot. After that he was bog average.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

bonehead wrote: April 7, 2020, 10:07 am

Underrated/Overrated ??
tough one, I was stoked when we signed him from the dogs and yeah 1 origin I remember but memory makes me think he was inconsistent.
Davico wasn't very big but he was so important to our pack, dirty we let him go he played some good footy for the knights. Still a champion bloke and will always stop for a chat at the knights v raiders games, bleeds green still.

Luke Davico. I would definitely put him in underrated category. Would always roll the sleaves up and do the hard work. Just so reliable.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Davico was very good. Should've gone to the World cup in 2000 ahead of Britt and is one of the best players to not play Origin. He used to put up 150+ meters and 15+ hitups nearly every week.

O'Hara was good early but got lazy. I think some of the rule changes didn't help him a great deal either.

By the way, I managed to track down a heap of old stats. It's wayback machine so it is probably flakey and could disappear any time.

https://web.archive.org/web/20080719062 ... /clubs.cfm

Good for making some more objective assessments of some of these players though.
Last edited by edwahu on April 7, 2020, 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Northern Raider wrote: April 7, 2020, 10:21 am
-PJ- wrote: April 7, 2020, 9:47 am What are people's thoughts on Ryan Ohara ?

Underrated/Overrated ??
Overrated eventually. Was going well to earn his Origin spot. After that he was bog average.
Sounds familiar..

We had a prop 2-3 years ago that found a test jersey on the back of some quality club efforts.

And has done squat since.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

bonehead wrote: April 7, 2020, 10:07 am

Underrated/Overrated ??

I've seen Luke Davico quite a few times in the past few years.

He hangs out at markets in town, his missus has a stall and uses Luke as slave labour..

Good bloke, I've meet him plenty of times.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Geoff Toovey just named Michael Robertson on the wing in his all time best Manly side.

Christ, was he that good or has Toovey probably taken one too many blows to the head?
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

There needs to be an investigation into this...
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

afgtnk wrote: April 7, 2020, 10:48 am Geoff Toovey just named Michael Robertson on the wing in his all time best Manly side.

Christ, was he that good or has Toovey probably taken one too many blows to the head?
Must have been a Tooves favourite. :shock:
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Northern Raider wrote: April 7, 2020, 10:59 am
afgtnk wrote: April 7, 2020, 10:48 am Geoff Toovey just named Michael Robertson on the wing in his all time best Manly side.

When I think of Manly wingers dating as far back as I've been following Rugbrugh Leeg Robbo wouldn't have too much competition really..

Jack Elsegood, Hopa, Brendan Elliot and I'm done..

Robbo is a two time premiership winner with Manly and is a damn solid contributor from the wing.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

-PJ- wrote: April 7, 2020, 11:03 am

When I think of Manly wingers dating as far back as I've been following Rugbrugh Leeg Robbo wouldn't have too much competition really..

Robbo is a two time premiership winner with Manly and is a damn solid contributor from the wing.
What about the Wolfman :lol:
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Northern Raider wrote: April 7, 2020, 11:09 am

What about the Wolfman :lol:
Go to the foxsports website and check out Tooves greatest manly side..

Stuart Davis? on a wing, no Hasler ?

Tooves has pulled all the cones..
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Davico is a great nom, fantastic player
Such a consistently good player for us but in his days there was star names that took the attention
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Wasn't Davico's sister on Gladiators
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

-PJ- wrote:
Northern Raider wrote: April 7, 2020, 11:09 am

What about the Wolfman Image
Go to the foxsports website and check out Tooves greatest manly side..

Stuart Davis? on a wing, no Hasler ?

Tooves has pulled all the cones..
He was a decent finisher but with three pretty awesome fullbacks over the years you would put at least one of them on the wing. Surely? Brett Stewart, wombat and Tommy?

Edit - even Ridge at a stretch.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

There's this guy called Max Krilich.

Captained AUS, played Origin, over 250 games for Manly and skippered them for 10years.

He didn't make it.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Rowdy Shearer, Danny Moore, Kerry Boustead, Frank Stokes, Craig Hancock?

Yes Davico's sister was a Gladiator

Edrick The Entertainer
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

bonehead wrote: April 7, 2020, 12:13 pm Yes Davico's sister was a Gladiator
I remember seeing her in media stories but can't recall her competing in anything. My best memory of Gladiators was when Jason Croker was a competitor in the 'Battle of the Codes'. His run on the Gauntlet was hilarious. :lol:
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

I raised a finger for John Hopoate as an all time Manly winger.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Yep, Davico and Logan are my two most underrated font rowers.

O'Hara is an interesting one. He went from being underrated, to playing Origin, to being ordinary in said Origin game, to ultimately being overrated.

Not as bad as Boyd, but he was pretty ordinary for us by the time he went to the ESL.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Northern Raider wrote:
bonehead wrote: April 7, 2020, 12:13 pm Yes Davico's sister was a Gladiator
I remember seeing her in media stories but can't recall her competing in anything. My best memory of Gladiators was when Jason Croker was a competitor in the 'Battle of the Codes'. His run on the Gauntlet was hilarious. Image
she was the hot one, Cheeta

Edrick The Entertainer