All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Green Blogger
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Re: Canberra Raiders prepare for tough times after NRL season suspension

Post by Green Blogger »

Riaan wrote: March 29, 2020, 3:08 pm
Hong Kong Raider wrote: March 29, 2020, 2:11 pm I have a 12 month FOX watchnrl subscription as I am overseas. Are others getting their money back ? Pls tell me what arrangements you guys are making. They are not paying the NRL for no content and I don;t think I should pay them for having re runs and 3 people talking nonsense on their shows. Pls advise me. Thanks
I tried to get my season pass refunded from the raiders and they basically have closed up shop like the rest of the NRL so I’d say if you have about zero chance so best enjoy your re-runs
Sports and broadcasters around the world are ignoring this problem. I have a Major League Baseball subscription and they have also been silent on refunds - I suspect they will roll it over to the next season.

What to my mind has been stunning is the speed with which Foxtel and Channel 9 have informed the NRL that they are not paying their contract fees as there are no live games, whilst both continue to screen NRL Games (replays) and run NRL based television shows that rely on Officials, Coaches and Players for their content. If I were the NRL, I would be drawing a hard line with the broadcasters that says if you are not paying any money then none of our contracted staff are available for your content.
Riaan
John Ferguson

Post by Riaan »

Some of the fox sports guests would have contracts with the network. Ennis etc.
fox sports, if they survive, might do well out of all this. Both codes will be accepting lower broadcasting contracts ( I imagine with the mess the NRL is in they will be taking whatever they can get)
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Riaan wrote:Some of the fox sports guests would have contracts with the network. Ennis etc.
fox sports, if they survive, might do well out of all this. Both codes will be accepting lower broadcasting contracts ( I imagine with the mess the NRL is in they will be taking whatever they can get)
Problem is that players like Cronk, Tedesco, Cordoner, J Reynolds etc are on Fox Contracts that sit outside the Salary Cap and NRL published 3rd party deals. Such a shonky system.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders staff in extreme cost-cutting measures

Canberra’s senior management – including head coach Ricky Stuart and chief executive Don Furner – will help the club save thousands of dollars in coming months by taking out garbage bins, mowing lawns and cleaning floors at their Braddon Centre of Excellence. Security and maintenance of new training field will be retained.

“While we are there, we will just clean. We will take the garbage out, we’ll mop the floors. The running costs are pretty high. We’re not joking about this. Everyone is happy to do it," CEO Don Furner said.

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... e4ffb19639
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

I like this all hands on deck approach
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Matt wrote: March 30, 2020, 6:42 pm I like this all hands on deck approach
I red a good book on the All Blacks and they did little things like clean out the desk g rooms post match by themselves. Built a great camaraderie and humble, hard working attitude in the group.

I see us as a squad who could take something similar from this experience.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Coastalraider wrote: March 30, 2020, 7:03 pm
Matt wrote: March 30, 2020, 6:42 pm I like this all hands on deck approach
I red a good book on the All Blacks and they did little things like clean out the desk g rooms post match by themselves. Built a great camaraderie and humble, hard working attitude in the group.

I see us as a squad who could take something similar from this experience.
Yup, I remember reading an article about that. They left the room as the found it OR better. Self discipline, respect for belongings and self, and shows humility.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Federal government's JobKeeper allowance throws lifeline to some Canberra Raiders staff

The federal government's $130 billion JobKeeper allowance could be a "lifeline" for Canberra Raiders staff who have already been sent on annual and unpaid leave.

"That could be a lifeline for some of our staff and bringing a couple back," CEO Don Furner said. "Certainly some of the younger ones we're looking at bringing back straight away and looking at getting them going on media and comms and memberships and all sorts of things. It literally changes every hour."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
greeneyed
Don Furner

Canberra Raiders prepare for tough times after NRL season suspension

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders star centre’s catch of the season

Curtis Scott needs a bigger boat. The Raiders star dropped a line before the government implemented strict fishing restrictions, landing a monster bull shark in Botany Bay. It was a case of catch and release.

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... 388dd18f61

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 55522efaf3
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

why oh why is he in Sydney??? catching a shark is something else though

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Coronavirus forces Canberra Raiders enforcer Josh Papalii to consider financial health

Canberra Raiders enforcer Josh Papalii says the suspension of the NRL season has made him look at his own financial situation to ensure he's set up his own future.

"From my point of view it's made me look at my financial life a bit [more] closely than previous years and it's made me learn a bit more than the usual of what you can do to try and set yourself up and how to look after your family in tough times."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

PODCAST: League from the Lounge with Nick Rysk, extended interview with Josh Papalii: https://player.whooshkaa.com/shows/leag ... YR5xu1k3Eg
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Curtis Scott practising catch and release. Ironic moment of the week.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

I sincerely hope that it's not taking unparralled events like this for players to set up their finances, and especially not for an ultra elite footballer like Papalii, who's doing better than the vast majority of players.

They get a decent amount of education/support with this and they've mostly all got managers, whose job it is to make sure their clients affairs are in order.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

afgtnk wrote: April 3, 2020, 8:03 pm I sincerely hope that it's not taking unparralled events like this for players to set up their finances, and especially not for an ultra elite footballer like Papalii, who's doing better than the vast majority of players.

They get a decent amount of education/support with this and they've mostly all got managers, whose job it is to make sure their clients affairs are in order.
I agree, you'd hope that's not the case...but i suspect it is
See the EPSN's doco 'Broke'... Sports stars are typically not great at managing their finances and player mangers dont give the faintest **** about their clients

Someone like Paplaii shouldnt have a mortgage to pay right now.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

I’m amazed at just how hopeless a number of player managers are. They really are just Contract negotiators not people actually engaged with managing their client.

If I was a player I’d shovel money into rentable property investments, superannuation and anything that will help them earn money post football career.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

BJ wrote: April 3, 2020, 9:51 pm I’m amazed at just how hopeless a number of player managers are. They really are just Contract negotiators not people actually engaged with managing their client.

If I was a player I’d shovel money into rentable property investments, superannuation and anything that will help them earn money post football career.
The vast majority of player managers seem entirely incompetent. How many of them are actively seeking out 3rd party deals? How many are setting up these guys for retirement? How many are actually helping to sort out off-field issues, which always appear to be managed by the club itself?
Elcaptcroker
David Grant
Favourite Player: Jarrod croker

Post by Elcaptcroker »

Hmmm i wonder how hard it would be to become a player manager? Treat one player right and acturally work with then and then youll get more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Elcaptcroker wrote:Hmmm i wonder how hard it would be to become a player manager? Treat one player right and acturally work with then and then youll get more

I’ve wondered this myself. It doesn’t seem to be hard to be good at it
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

If the players were smart they would allow salaries to be published and the need for an Agent in Australia all but disappears for most of them.

It's would be crazy for players to pay US style percentages of they knew what the market was anyway.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

ABC interviewed Wayne Pearce who is the head of the subcommittee in charge of restarting the comp

He's confident of a early June start, but the comp will "definitely" be back by early July.

V'landys was interviewed on Triple M. The NRL has been given an exemption to the health emergency declaration

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

Post by Postman Pat »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:
Elcaptcroker wrote:Hmmm i wonder how hard it would be to become a player manager? Treat one player right and acturally work with then and then youll get more

The negotiating process is all it’s about, there not really player managers at all.

There contract negotiators, like car salesman. You need to be a curtain type of person to be good at it.
Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.
Elcaptcroker
David Grant
Favourite Player: Jarrod croker

Post by Elcaptcroker »

I'm Bate Man wrote:
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:

The negotiating process is all it’s about, there not really player managers at all.

There contract negotiators, like car salesman. You need to be a curtain type of person to be good at it.
Wine and dine the clubs and sponsors till you get whats best for your client

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

-TW- wrote: April 4, 2020, 6:15 pm ABC interviewed Wayne Pearce who is the head of the subcommittee in charge of restarting the comp

He's confident of a early June start, but the comp will "definitely" be back by early July.

V'landys was interviewed on Triple M. The NRL has been given an exemption to the health emergency declaration

That makes absolute sense to me. Running the NRL in 2 month's time is such a low risk proposition IMO. It's the least of the issues that the government has in managing this situation. The game could quite safely be run right now if sensible precautions were made to quarantine and protect players and critical staff.

If they are serious about containing the spread, there absolutely needs to be more work done to limit people cramming into shopping centres over the next 2-3 weeks, supported by extending the hours of supermarkets. It's beyond belief that the likes of Woolies and Coles have reduced their opening hours, so more people feel the need to jam into those spaces while the shop is open. Ít's nuts.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Seiffert82 wrote:
-TW- wrote: April 4, 2020, 6:15 pm ABC interviewed Wayne Pearce who is the head of the subcommittee in charge of restarting the comp

That makes absolute sense to me. Running the NRL in 2 month's time is such a low risk proposition IMO. It's the least of the issues that the government has in managing this situation. The game could quite safely be run right now if sensible precautions were made to quarantine and protect players and critical staff.

If they are serious about containing the spread, there absolutely needs to be more work done to limit people cramming into shopping centres over the next 2-3 weeks, supported by extending the hours of supermarkets. It's beyond belief that the likes of Woolies and Coles have reduced their opening hours, so more people feel the need to jam into those spaces while the shop is open. Ít's nuts.
Yeah they're extending hours and limiting capacity from Monday

Thursday and Saturday are usually a **** show cause people can't deal with a closedown for a day

zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

I know they're somewhat reduced but the amount of other shoppers I see there with me at the 10-11:30pm time slot makes me wonder why it was open that late.
Opening earlier for seniors and dragging it back a bit I think makes more sense. Part of that is they can also focus staff on fixing up the store once that door shuts at 8pm. If you want more than that I think you need to wait till they've expanded their staffing levels, which they're in the process of doing.
At the end of the day though there's not a whole lot the store can do if someone comes in with it and spreads it around. Plenty of staff would come into contact with it. And then shoppers for the 3+ hours it's on most surfaces.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

zim wrote: April 4, 2020, 10:40 pm I know they're somewhat reduced but the amount of other shoppers I see there with me at the 10-11:30pm time slot makes me wonder why it was open that late.
Opening earlier for seniors and dragging it back a bit I think makes more sense. Part of that is they can also focus staff on fixing up the store once that door shuts at 8pm. If you want more than that I think you need to wait till they've expanded their staffing levels, which they're in the process of doing.
At the end of the day though there's not a whole lot the store can do if someone comes in with it and spreads it around. Plenty of staff would come into contact with it. And then shoppers for the 3+ hours it's on most surfaces.
The fresh produce is a huge risk in that regard. I'm so used to picking through the fruit and veg to find what I want, but these days I'm a bit paranoid about 1000 other people doing the same in the hours before me. Much more risky than picking something off the shelf.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

Seiffert82 wrote: April 5, 2020, 6:47 am
zim wrote: April 4, 2020, 10:40 pm I know they're somewhat reduced but the amount of other shoppers I see there with me at the 10-11:30pm time slot makes me wonder why it was open that late.
The fresh produce is a huge risk in that regard. I'm so used to picking through the fruit and veg to find what I want, but these days I'm a bit paranoid about 1000 other people doing the same in the hours before me. Much more risky than picking something off the shelf.
Yeah, I stopped myself from doing that the other day. I like to be very selective with my apples, but in this environment it's just not feasible. I bought the packaged ones instead.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

VIDEO: Sunday Footy Show with John Bateman and Elliott Whitehead: The Sunday Footy show crossed over to John Bateman and Elliott Whitehead from inside their homes in Canberra: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2020/04 ... whitehead/
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ethan Strange

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

There is no reason the comp cant be restarted by July or before if we keep going along the path that we are. Obviously they will have to follow all the safety and isolation protocols. Warriors will be the tricky one , unless they can get a clearance from both governments
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

raiderskater wrote: April 5, 2020, 6:04 pm
Yeah, I stopped myself from doing that the other day. I like to be very selective with my apples, but in this environment it's just not feasible. I bought the packaged ones instead.
I found a place up my way that is struggling to keep afloat - their business was supplying fresh fruit and veg to clubs and pubs. They have changed their ops to now do a pickup from Sydney fresh markets in the mornjng, and spend the rest of the day delivering pre set fruit and veg boxes to houses on the central coast. So they get some cash to stay afloat,‘I get good quality fresh gear del used to my door.

Winner.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

George Williams to be on Fox League Live soon.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

@TheGHRaiders on Twitter

Canberra Raiders half George Williams appeared on #FoxLeagueLive tonight. He's speaking here about the coaching style of Ricky Stuart. #NRL #WeAreRaiders #wearecbr

https://twitter.com/FOXNRL/status/1247086669603340288
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Coastalraider wrote: April 6, 2020, 5:20 pm
raiderskater wrote: April 5, 2020, 6:04 pm
I found a place up my way that is struggling to keep afloat - their business was supplying fresh fruit and veg to clubs and pubs. They have changed their ops to now do a pickup from Sydney fresh markets in the mornjng, and spend the rest of the day delivering pre set fruit and veg boxes to houses on the central coast. So they get some cash to stay afloat,‘I get good quality fresh gear del used to my door.

Winner.
Nice!